Menu

What math did/will you be using for 2nd grade?

MellowYellow

Big girl will be a 2nd grader next fall and I expect her to finish Horizons Math 4 and begin HM 5, Singapore Math CWP and various websites that I use to print math facts. We also dabble with MEP here and there to spice things up.

I am also looking at EPGY online too, not sure yet.

And of course, this could all change depending on her needs.

We've been using CLE and Singapore with CWP. Recently we took a break and did MUS Alpha over a couple of weeks to solidify the "making 10s" concept with math facts. We will probably do Beta later this year or over the summer because my dd thinks it is fun and I think it's a nice way to "see" math in a different way.

HTH,

Kathy

Ds8 is using Singapore Math 2A/2B and Life of Fred Edgewood and Farming this year. He's developmentally delayed, but a self-directed learner and a naturally mathy kid. SM gets the job done, but he absolutely LOVES LOF. He'll pick up and read any of the LOF books we own (through Pre-Algebra). He doesn't always "get" the math in the higher books, but he really enjoys the story. The series is very motivating to him and makes him want to learn more challenging math.

I used Horizons transitioned to Singapore and LoF. It seems to be working better for my son's personality. I like teaching and learning alongside him as well. For my DD5, I plan to use RS and perhaps Singapore and then move to Singapore with LoF as well, like I say, that's the *plan*, it can change.

My current 2nd grader is using Miquon, Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Primary Grade Challenge Math. He loves Miquon and tolerates the other two. My older boys used either Singapore, Miquon, or both for 2nd grade math.

There are so many awesome options. I'm even thankful that my circumstances have cut me off from most of them this year since I've been so indecisive for the past year and could easily see myself continuing that trend. Forced temperance! :)

As it is I am down to the Miquon books I have on hand and I may use them for the upcoming second grade year or else continue on with Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic or New Franklin's Arithmetic.

MAYBE MEP. Depends on whether I have a printer by then or how much of a pain it is to do on the iPad. Anything that takes too much effort to do without even getting to the content itself is very unlikely to get done around here.

We are finishing up 2nd grade and we used Miquon 2nd grade books,RS Math B, Lof Fred books (my kids LOVE), and some MEP. Wanted to add some living books but just didn't have much time :) My kids LOVE Miquon and I'm so impressed with their mental math because of it. They really like RS Math and how hands on it is and they love for me to read LofFred at night. MEP is not so much a hit because it is very workbooky. We will do the same things for 3rd grade - Miquon, RS Math C, LofFred and hopefully more living books too.

I used MUS Beta with two 2nd graders so far. It was OK, but got a really dry and... boring. :closedeyes: MUS is super-duper, insanely-duper repetitive sometimes for weeks on end (I think there is literally 9 weeks of "skip count by 2, skip count by 3, skip count by 4..." all the way to 9.) It's a good program in theory, but got to be too dry for us and we needed a break. Since I found Teaching Textbooks which starts in 3rd, my plan with my upcoming dd is to have her continue with MCP Math from K-2 and then start on TT in third. MCP is very straight-forward, traditional, easy to use, which I like. It will more than suffice for 2nd grade, IMO.

DS used MCP math until 4th grade, then switched to Horizons. I like both. MCP fit his needs when he was younger, but as he grew he needed more challenge and enjoyed the spiral approach (MCP is mastery-based, which he needed in the lower grades). He's in 7th now and uses Horizons and Singapore.

I do think MCP is excellent in it's traditional approach and mental math questions at the beginning of each lesson (they're in the TM, which I loved--super helpful). I understood how to teach the program and DS learned his facts and operations impressively.

Horizons is great and pretty much self-explanatory, but the TM is pointless, at least in the lower grades.

DD used Abeka in K then switched to Horizons in first. She whizzed right through it, but fell apart in the middle of the 3rd grade. The spiral became too much for her and she struggled a lot with facts. Singapore was too abstract for her (lots of tears) and MCP was too "boring" (I think her feelings were just hurt, really). We settled on BJU, which we both like.

Of all the math programs we've tried, I like Horizons the very best, if it's a good fit for the student's learning style.

He's finishing up SM 2B in a few weeks so I already bought 3A, but honestly I don't know what he will be using in fall (2nd grade). He says he hates math :sad:. I'm just not sure Singapore is a good fit. He gets it done, but I don't think he really gets it. Maybe Teaching Textbooks? Maybe CLE?