Menu

What do you think of the word Housewife?

Brilliant

I just used the word "housewife" in the frump thread, and it reminded me of an experience I had last month. I had to get a security clearance for something - well, that sounds mysterious, doesn't it? ;) When I filled out the online application, there was no category for "homemaker" as an occupation. I had to choose "unemployed" as the best option. When I went in for the interview, the agent (who was under 30) asked if I was married, then when he got down to the the occupation part, he said, "Oh, so you're a housewife" and jotted something down. I laughed and said, "yeah, there wasn't a category for that." I didn't feel patronized by the term, but then wondered later if I should have. ;)

(BTW - I've always used "homeschool teacher" as my occupation before, but I don't feel comfortable with that anymore. My youngest is a senior this year, but all of his courses are outsourced. So I'm not doing any of the actual schooling. Maybe I can say I'm "retired"?)

What do you think - is housewife bad? Homemaker better? Homeschooler? Retired? Unemployed? What are you?

I call myself a stay at home mom and homeschooler.

I call myself a stay at home mom or self-employed (I have a business I currently run from home).

Oh, I forgot about that one. I used to use "stay at home mom" when my kids were younger, especially if I didn't want to get into the homeschool topic. But again it's not appropriate for me now. "I'm a stay at home mom." "Oh, how old are your kids?" "They are 17 and 19, both in college." ha ha.

I don't care for the term (or other terms like it, e.g. homemaker). It just rubs me the wrong way.

I refer to myself as "self-employed". After leaving the corporate world four years ago, I started up my own business. Although I've put the business on hold for the time being (it was too much to keep up with along with homeschooling), I still use that term.

Guest inoubliable

I don't mind it. I've never even thought on it, though.

I like write-ins.

"High Priestess"

"Head Hoobala"

"Office of Instances"

"Leeroy Jenkins"

"Mrs. Jeff Goldblum"

I don't particularly like the term. I did not marry a building. Nor did I marry Mt. Laundry, the Everest of my county though sometimes I wish I could divorce it!

Thankfully, I have an out. I was a professional musician before dh and I married, and I still do some performing here or there so I write that in or check "other" and let them fume about it.

Generally, these kinds of forms seem to be seeking pay check oriented information and I charge dh deeply :biggrinjester: , but there isn't any way to get around some of this so professional musician works.

However, the only time I've been offended by the term was when one of Dh's co-workers used it as an insult. The funny thing was she was the one who was expressing ignorance at the time. The discussion at the meal was about classical music. When I was asked my opinion by dh's boss, she immediately yelped, "She has nothing to add to the discussion. She's just a housewife!"

Dh's boss, bless him, asked if I'd like to try out his Yamaha baby grand piano, so I sat down and played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, all three movements, from memory. When I was done, I turned around and asked her if we could pick up that discussion about classical music again - in particular her erroneous assertions about music written from 1810 - 1830. She wasn't amused, but she was better behaved towards me the rest of the evening.

Snicker, snicker...I have a mean streak and though I try very hard to control it, sometimes the bear gets out of the cage!

Otherwise, I tend to not think about the term much.

Faith

However, the only time I've been offended by the term was when one of Dh's co-workers used it as an insult. The funny thing was she was the one who was expressing ignorance at the time. The discussion at the meal was about classical music. When I was asked my opinion by dh's boss, she immediately yelped, "She has nothing to add to the discussion. She's just a housewife!"

What is wrong with people? How did she get so far in life by being such a rude jerk?

I don't think about it much, but when I do I would rather be called something else,. I am NOT a wife to my house. I'm a wife and mother. I chose to stay home. However, it does't necessarily offend me - depending on the tone in which it is said.

What is wrong with people? How did she get so far in life by being such a rude jerk?

Well, I don't think she made it that far. Truly, she was only on the account for about 18 months and the boss let her go. My best guess is that her jerkiness got her. I mean, this was a pretty tight knit bunch of IT geeks that were really pretty supportive of each other and that kind of thing probably didn't go far. Dh never said and he may never have known why she was canned. He just reported with relief that she had been pink slipped. It was not a "downsizing" because her position was filled immediately.

Faith

I kind of like "housewife." Something about the retro nature of the word appeals to me. It sounds tidy.

I think this is why I didn't get offended. It sounded sort of cute & retro. :)

And although the majority of posters don't like the term... I was just on my profile (looking at the pesky social group thing) and decided to change my "title" to housewife. :)

The term doesn't bother me much. It's a word that has been around for a long time. I usually say I'm a stay at home mom, but sometimes I tell people I'm CFO of ....last name.... and associates. I do pay the bills and earn my family money all the time by cooking at home, etc...

I used to get upset about the term, but after getting comfortable in my own skin and with my life I no longer care what people call me (I would prefer it be appropriate for my kids to hear ;)). Housewife makes no sense, because I am not married to my house, but hey, most people do not put that much thought into what they are saying, so I try not to take offense to much.

I refer to myself as stay at home mom. I have no problem with housewife or homemaker.

I am not unemployed. That seems to convey that I wish I had a job but currently don't.

I wish there were separate categories for 'unemployed, seeking employment' and 'unemployed, not seeking employment' to convey when an unemployment status is by choice.

I don't really like the term housewife and rarely use it to describe myself or others. I'm not sure why, maybe because it doesn't really describe what I do. I usually say I'm a homeschooling mom. For the OP I would probably say I'm a newly retired home educator. That conveys what you have done in the past and hopefully would show that you are entering a new phase in life.

Oh, I forgot about that one. I used to use "stay at home mom" when my kids were younger, especially if I didn't want to get into the homeschool topic. But again it's not appropriate for me now. "I'm a stay at home mom." "Oh, how old are your kids?" "They are 17 and 19, both in college." ha ha.

After her dc graduated and went off to college, one friend changed her "title" to stay-at-home wife. And this was well before SAHM was a popular term.

One of my work friends referred to it as a Professional Mom. His mom was a SAHM and he thought of her that way.

I'm not fond of housewife or homemaker. Those terms make me think of June Cleaver. And I'm so not a June Cleaver.

I usually say Full-time Wife and Mom. I know, not much better but there ya go. :D

I'm not overly fond of the term housewife, either. In part, it kind of implies that I'm spending most of my Shannonhouse. Which if you were to see the house, you would certainly not believe. I happen to be abysmally bad at housekeeping. For similar reasons, homemaker seems a bit odd. Perhaps if I was actually good at homemaking, I would feel better about it.

SAHM works for now while my kids are young. Once people realize that I have three children, four and under, I don't generally have to deal with questions of what I do all day, at least. When they get older, I suppose I will need a new title. I guess I'll just have to figure that out when I get there.

Housewife is an old and honorable title that means a woman in charge of a household or family. Etymologically it goes back to the medieval husewif, which matched with the male husebonde--which changed into husband. I'm happy to be called a housewife, although it doesn't happen often. I work part-time and mostly I get described as a librarian and homeschooling mom, and anyway most people use stay-at-home-mom these days. But I quite like housewife too.

Well, Siri calls me "Queen of All She Surveys," but usually I go by SAHM. Housewife, homemaker, etc. don't bother me, but they aren't my adjectives of choice. My biggest pet peeve is when people say, "Oh, so you don't work." I'm quick to follow up,with, "Oh I work! I don't receive a paycheck, but I work harder than I ever did at a 9-5 gig." That usually makes my point, and I get a rueful acknowledgment that I have spoken truth. ;)

Of course, I'm not at all trying to imply that women who work outside of the home don't work hard. I know it can be beyond rough to hold an outside position *and* be a mom, because I've had to do it. I'm generally just trying to point out that no paycheck does not equal "not working." Because, y'know, sometimes the point simply begs to be made.

I think housewife is an old-fashioned version of homemaker. I would be more demoralized by "unemployed".

:iagree: I refer to myself as a stay at home mom, but ds is getting older, and as another poster pointed out, how long can I call myself that? I don't know that there's a better term than housewife or homemaker though. While I am unemployed, that seems to have a more negative connotation than the first two. For some reason no one thinks you are unemployed by choice.

I believe the PC phrase is that you "don't work outside the home". :D

I still remember from 25 years ago, well before I had kids, when my now-SIL had three kids under 5, one of whom had significant special needs. Some yahoo her husband worked with said, "Do you work?" The iciness with which this 4'11" woman said, "Not outside the home" was enough to frighten half the room into a corner. I'm willing to bet that guy never asked that question again.

I don’t think my wife would have any problem with being called a Housewife. I remember, probably in 1998 or 1999, she attended a regional Astronomy convention (Latin America, with a few people from the USA and Spain) and that they were very surprised, and very favorably impressed, that a Housewife had so much knowledge of Astronomy. :hurray:

I'm a proud housewife.

I'm not fond of the term "stay at home mom." It's an inelegant mouthful, and anyways, I'm a wife first and mom second.

I don't like housewife (after all, who is married to her house?).

SAHM is clumsy, but when I stayed home, the reason is was that I was a mom and had to take care of young children - I did not stay home to keep house for my husband.

ETA: when the kids are grown: None of the women I know whose children are grown and who do not work paid jobs outside the home refer to themselves as "housewifes". They all have other things they do beside keep house for two adults: they are artists, gardeners, artisans, writers, retired... none of them defines herself through her role as housekeeper.

Well, you could list everything that you do and have done... Yes, I am a housewife, homemaker, and I have spent the last 20-something years training and discipling the youth that I bore to be productive members for their homes and society in which I have received eternal payment :)

The best thing you can do is be prepared to answer such questions with confidence, no matter what term anyone uses. Those terms are used and thought of differently by everyone.

To me it sounds sorta like a pet. Like house cat. I don't care for it but I also don't care for SAHM. They aren't bad words, and I don't get my panties in a twist if someone uses it for me. I usually prefer homemaker and jokingly say accidental homemaker (as I had previously been a "WOHM" for most of my time as a mom and sort of stumbled into this by responding to the changed needs of my family and specifically my older son.) Part of transitioning out of most paid work for the foreseeable future has been letting go giving a d@mn about worrying about how or if other people value my work. That meant starting with letting go of gleaning my personal self worth from my job title or lack of job title etc. I don't bother with writing in a title on those forms.