Menu

Dessert to serve after lasagna

Scarlett

Yeah, I thought of cheesecase but my mom makes it from scratch and I can't bear to serve boxed cheesecake...maybe I could buy one of those frozen ones....they are yummy.

I would LOVE to make tiramusu...my fav dessert. I have never made it. Anyone have a fail proof recipe?

My first thought was tiramisu, though it may not fall into the "easy and quick" category you might need right now. I like Mergath's suggestion. Cheesecake isn't all that time-consuming, in my opinion, and would work well...but then KRG mentioned something lemony and, I agree--that does sound good! Maybe lemon cheesecake? With raspberry sauce. Yum.

I would LOVE to make tiramusu...my fav dessert. I have never made it. Anyone have a fail proof recipe?

Tiramisu was my first thought! :D I've only ever made it once, though, and that was years ago. TJ's sells a really awesome tiramisu cake (frozen, just stick in the refigerator to thaw). Are you completely opposed to ready-made?

Tiramisu was my first thought! :D I've only ever made it once, though, and that was years ago. TJ's sells a really awesome tiramisu cake (frozen, just stick in the refigerator to thaw). Are you completely opposed to ready-made?

No I am not opposed to ready made....We don't have a TJs though...I will look at the big SuperCenter I am going to today...but it is an hour and half drive home so I don't know if it will stay frozen good enough...I am taking an ice chest though.

Our Christmas Eve dinner consists of lasagna, homemade bread, salad, and vanilla ice cream with a choice of homemade praline sauce or chocolate sauce. Simple and delicious. This year we added shortbread cookies to go with the ice cream/sauce.

I like this idea....I just hate to serve JUST ice cream, but lasagna is a big heavy meal...so it would work great.

You can do this a day ahead. Get a guierdelli brownie mix. Make it, then top with THIS:

Praline Icing

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup milk

1 cup confectioners sugar

1 tsp. almond extract

3/4 cup chopped pecans

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil. Boil for one minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and almond extract until smooth. Add pecans and continue to stir for about 3 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Pour onto cooled brownies. Makes 1 1/2 cups. 

Changed. My. Life.

How about cannoli filling seved in/with sugar ice cream cones?

My first thought was Cannoli. When we lived in PA, I used to be able to find Alessi hand rolled cannoli shells at our local store in the Italian section, but now that we're in AZ I've traded in the Italian section for the Mexican section and can't find them any more. We used to make homemade cannoli every Christmas eve. We'd melt chocolate chips, dip the ends of the shells, stick them outside to cool for a few minutes, then fill the shells with the homemade filling (with mini chocolate chips, of course!). Yummy.

Tiramisu if you're up to it.

Cheesecake if you're looking for ready-made.

Panna cotta if you're looking for something that seems fancy but is really the easiest thing in the world to make. I have an orange panna cotta recipe that is to die for, but it would be easy to find a recipe for lemon panna cotta, or vanilla almond panna cotta sounds good. You could make it the day before, and did I mention, it's easy? You can do it. I promise.

For me, peppermint (or peppermint/chocolate chip) ice cream is the perfect dessert after a heavy Italian meal. I know it's not homemade, but that's what I would serve. :) Maybe you could whip up a light wafer type cookie to go with the ice cream.