Menu

If you had one year (more or less) to prepare for a career, what would you do?

Julie in CA

I have one semester of general ed completed at the community college, if that changes the advice in any way.

I do have some marketable skills, and could probably find a job within that field, but if I ever want to further my education, this may be my only chance. I have no clue what career paths to consider, so I'm looking for brainstorming help, specifically, jobs that would require a minimal amount of additional education, be enough to support a family very modestly, and with robust job opportunities in a difficult economy. (Not asking much, right? lol!)

Thanks.

There will always be openings in the medical field. If I needed to get a job that would make a decent wage I'd go to school for x-ray/ultrasound tech, LPN, or paramedic. Maybe pharmacy assistant.

Here is TX the first two are a three year journey, b/c you have to take science and psych prereqs, then be admitted to the program, and then it is a two year program. I'm hoping it would be better in CA.

With your experience I might look into some business training, either in food or business in general. No idea, but I would start from what you already have as a foundation.

I would look into what certifications your CC might have in a short-term program. I know ours has a lot in the tech field, but I don't know about the jobs in your area.

Personally I'd do the following:

1. Take one of those 2 or 6 week EMT basic courses locally. (2 months total for $10/hour).
  2. Take the 12 week long summer paramedic course at McCook Community College in Nebraska. Then I would get a job wherever I could (I think in New England some paramedics are still making $45K). (6 months total for $30-45K/year)
  3. Transition into one of the paramedic-RN bridge programs in a local university, or if no school had one nearby I'd do the Excelsior RN school online. If you work hard at that program you could get your RN in less than a year and end up with a $60K+ salary with good benefits. (18 months total; $45-65K+ salary)
  4. Then I would go on to get my BSN (bachelor's in nursing), which should take less than one year additionally and get you a 10-15K raise, especially if you get a promotion to management. (2 1/2 years total; $55-70K salary)
  5. And then I'd go on to get a nurse practicioner degree (2-4 years, depending on the program and which state you're in), many of those jobs are hiring for $100K with just two years experience right now!. (4 1/2- 6 1/2 years total, $75-$100K + salary)

CNA training is about 6 weeks if you don't mind making $10 an hour and working wiping butts in nursing homes. If you take the advanced course after that you can get a job in a hospital as a patient care tech for maybe $2/hour more. Certain hospitals have nursing school affiliations and will give employees a scholarship so you can go on to nursing school and make good money.

LPN training is the next level up in nursing, it's typically one semester to one year of science prerequisites first, then a full year (three semesters) of courses to take the nursing board exams.

RN training is about a year beyond that.

computer techinical certifications. You can get alot of training in a year, and make a decent living. and

they're hiring.

1dd is a classics major (great for homeschooling - except she has no children. great undergrad . . . doesn't pay squat in the job market. )

she did some very intense computer certification work and is making very good money (more than my EE brother) and could easily support a family if she ever has the need. supposedly she's going to start looking for a house (and take her stuff!) She still has more computer classes she wants to take -but she has the freedom to take classes or not based upon her schedule and desire. she does't need more to get a job that pays 'enough'.

oh - my dd who is in grad school also has done tutoring for high school students. mostly science, math, and french or spanish. when she went through an agency, she was paid $20 an hour. her students she got herself she charges $40. now she's in school full-time and working part time, she only kept the students she really liked.

I've always thought it would be nice to be a bank teller. Not sure what kind of education/skills it would take, or if pay is decent, but I sure like bankers' hours :D .

They typically make about $2 more than minimum wage and require no education, but you do need a bachelor's in a business field to get a promotion.

Have you taken a aptitude test? This may be your first step. Once you know what path to select, meet with a counselor at a community college to see if you can take more classes there at a reduced tuition rate before you may have to transfer to a 4-year university depending on your career choice.

I do have some marketable skills, and could probably find a job within that field, but if I ever want to further my education, this may be my only chance. I have no clue what career paths to consider, so I'm looking for brainstorming help, specifically, jobs that would require a minimal amount of additional education, be enough to support a family very modestly, and with robust job opportunities in a difficult economy. (Not asking much, right? lol!)

Thanks.

The medical field is probably the one with the most robust job opportunities. You've received some great advice above about how to break into that field if that's something that interests you.

I do think it's important that you get into a field that is of interest to you, fits with your personality, and will provide job satisfaction. Otherwise, you might invest lots of time, money, and energy into getting the education and certifications only to find out (once you've been in the job for awhile) that it's not a good fit for you. Yes, you need an income - but job satisfaction is important too.

As a previous poster suggested, meeting with a career counselor would be a good first step to help you gain clarity on the direction you want to go, what you're already qualified for, and the additional training/education you might need for various careers that might be of interest.

Since you mentioned that you have some marketable skills already and could probably find a job in that field, if it were me, I'd use that as a starting point. Do you enjoy that field? Does it meet your other criteria (require a minimal amount of additional education, enough income potential to support a family, and with robust job opportunities)? I'm assuming you have some contacts in that field? If yes, that can shave a year or more off your job search. It's one thing to have the right qualifications - but having a network of people in a given field who have previously worked with you (or at least know you) can make all the difference in finding out who is hiring, getting selected for interviews, etc.

All the best to you as you start this new chapter of your life!

I've always thought it would be nice to be a bank teller. Not sure what kind of education/skills it would take, or if pay is decent, but I sure like bankers' hours :D .

you have a romanticized view of the field. not much education required, and not much opportunity for advancement - and you have people sticking guns in your face and demanding money. dh used to be in banking, and has even been in some bank robberies when he was in the branches. (once in a take-over robbery he had $500,000 in cashiers checks on the desk in front of him. fortunately, they were dumb robbers who were *only* interested in the teller lines) the tellers are the ones who deal with them first. we've a friend who was a branch manager - even the how-to-respond drills with the FBI have left him shaking. the stories of the dye-packs going on in the robbers back pocket doesn't quite make up for that.

Instead of a nursing degree I would look into either PT or OT Assistant. These generally take less than 4 yrs, but not all community colleges have the certification. Another one, is being a Sign Lang. interpreter - another certification you can get via cc (at least for now). My daughter's godmother is one and she's told me she could work 7 days a week if she wanted and makes good money.

I know several have mentioned paramedic and EMT but I wouldn't recommend those to you, Julie. Once you are employed, the shifts are killer. You still have children at home who need you and if you are parenting solo, I don't think jobs like that are going to benefit you or your family in the ways you need. Even good pay sometimes isn't worth the havoc it can wreak on family life.

I would, however, recommend med transcriptions, accounting, dental hygienist/asst, vet tech/asst. All but the accounting can be done in about a year or less. If you have an aptitude for sales, then look into getting a real estate licence, or perhaps do auto/home insurance. But... I remember that you do fabulous desserts. What about building up your own business? Maybe expanding on it?

I would also look at medical. I think a CNA is a two year degree at our community college--a daughter of family friends got a job immediately with good benefits.

CNA requirements may vary state to state, but I don't think it's that long most places. In my neck of the woods it's 80 hours class plus appx 20 clinical hours, then you have to pass the state licensing test. There are no prerequisites aside from being a citizen/legal resident, providing your SS# and being able to speak English.

That could be a gateway job for a future medical career. But you would need the freedom to reinvest some of that money into tuition to keep studying as you work. Honestly, though the CNA work would be good patient contact experience, you could probably make more per hour waitressing at a popular high-end restaurant, then use that money to reinvest in studying in a field in which you are truly interested.

Other medical areas - EMT, xray tech, surgical tech, etc - may pay more to start. But there are always those pesky prerequisites.

You ought to make an appointment to sit down with folks at your local community college, if it has a good reputation. Ours is terrific, there are MANY mature students. The staff will help you figure out both where your interests lie and how to pay for it. Many places are offering special programs these days for adults returning to the work force who have never before earned a college degree.

There will always be openings in the medical field. If I needed to get a job that would make a decent wage I'd go to school for x-ray/ultrasound tech, LPN, or paramedic. Maybe pharmacy assistant.

I was going to suggest radiology/ultrasound tech. Here in the northeast, it is a 1-2 year program.

PT and OT assistant programs are competitive around here, so your experience in the nursing home would be a plus there, especially if you ended up working with the elderly. Both of those careers have good outlooks and very good pay. If they interest you, start asking about qualifications right away. Good luck!

Oh, and don't be intimidated by the academics. Since you have homeschooled so long, you are probably more solid on the foundational stuff than most students.

At our cc, I see a lot of students interested in nursing or the medical field, but their math background holds them back. The students I have taught and then seen in the field (one who was observing my husband's hernia operation :eek: ) were all top students with really solid As. I don't think many of the lower-level students would have made it through the nursing program.

If you go through a program that has testing/licensing requirements, check what their pass rate on the tests are.

Also, be aware that many of the programs have a wait list. Our cc has started a "merit admissions" program to let students who have completed certain requirements get accepted faster. Check on that if it's something you're considering.

A different cc had a "Career Interest Inventory" that anyone in the community could take. It was 300 multiple choice questions that you answered & got results for what might be a job you'd enjoy. My top 5 included mathematician and librarian :) I would not make a good forester! :lol:

I think it was at the counseling services of that cc or a one-stop job shop from the community.

I hope you find something that works well for you.

As you explore these fantastic ideas, be sure to ask about the physical demands of the job. Nursing, nursing aide, EMT, Xray, PT, etc. can be very physically demanding - on your feet for hours, lots of bending & lifting, etc. Med.transcription I think is more of a desk job & not so physically demanding. Just something to consider.

Since you are an experienced homeschooler, could you build up a free-lance tutoring business?

Best wishes.

Julie?

Please, listen. Don't limit yourself based on urgency. There are probably scholarship and grant options for you. Your kids are old enough for you to train/return to school.

Don't chose based on money made. Go through a thorough career assessment evaluation - choose a trajectory that suits your interests and temperment.

I worked a combination of lower level jobs while going to school, and it was HARD. But I am in a job I LOVE. Yes, career and life re-defining was necessary. But please think long term, not short term.

Invest in YOU, in your career, in your enrichment.

My sister in law got her license to cut hair several years ago when her dh wanted to go back to school full time. It didn't take too long to get the license (I'm sorry I don't know how long.) She was up and running full speed ahead in a small town shortly after that. She supported their family for several years.

I'm a real estate agent--it took about two months for me to do classes and pass the test. After that, it's up to you to hustle your bustle to get business. If you were to decide to go that way, shoot me a PM. I'll have advice to share.

Look into TypeWell transcription for the deaf and hard of hearing. Milovany, fellow board member, does this, and so do I. If you search her name on this board, you'll see more info about it. She does this remotely from home. I work about 30 hours a week during the school year at the local college. Remote work pays more money, but you have to invest in your own equipment and training. Training is $400 and takes about four to six weeks to complete.

If you are looking for a more career kind of job, look into IT and computer programming. You can learn a lot of programming free online (check out Codecademy especially), and in programming, if you can prove that you know what you are doing, they often don't require a degree. It pays well and there are many flexible work options.

But... I remember that you do fabulous desserts. What about building up your own business? Maybe expanding on it?

I've considered that--seriously. My problem with it is that It's a profession where even if you're good at it, and even if you work hard, you can still fail in a million different (and expensive) ways.

It's not legal to cook/bake from home, and it's expensive to build a commercial kitchen. I've been searching our town, but the perfect place sold about 4 months ago. I haven't been able to find another location that would work for what I have in mind.

I've also never actually tried anything where I thought there was a high possibility that I'd fail, and I'm not sure I'm ready to take that on either.

What can you tell me about medical transcription?

Pay is less than it was 10 years ago. Technology- Electronic Medical Records and Voice Activated Software are maing the higher paid positions harder to find. Sadly, I wouldn't recommend to anyone looking for long-term employment. There are still jobs, but experience is hard to get in today's market, IMO.

I've considered that--seriously. My problem with it is that It's a profession where even if you're good at it, and even if you work hard, you can still fail in a million different (and expensive) ways.

It's not legal to cook/bake from home, and it's expensive to build a commercial kitchen. I've been searching our town, but the perfect place sold about 4 months ago. I haven't been able to find another location that would work for what I have in mind.

I've also never actually tried anything where I thought there was a high possibility that I'd fail, and I'm not sure I'm ready to take that on either.

I can understand that, Julie. It makes sense. Are there other businesses in your vicinity like that? Would any of them be hiring? Is that even something you'd like to do?

I'm just thinking out loud here. I don't know if you want to do something totally different or not. I just know that you've expressed a lot of joy for your baking here before, and I know that you deserve to have a job that brings you that kind of joy, if possible.

Kaiser has a school of allied health near me and offers the following programs. Your local CC may be longer or shorter, but these should give you an idea:

Radiation Therapy (18 mos)

Radiography (24 mos)

Nuclear Medicine Technologist (18 mos)

Sonography (18 mos)

Cardiac Sonography (18 mos)

I'd look into nursing, either LPN or RN. Or perhaps ultrasound tech.

I hope to someday go back for my RN. At our local community college, you can get your LPN in one year, provided you have all your prereqs done before starting the program. Then, when/if you want to go back for the RN program, there's a specific LPN to RN course that's another year.

However, the admission to these programs is VERY competitive. As in, you really need A's in every prereq class to have a real shot of admission.

a relative was going to night school to be a court reporter, and I was really impressed with the earning potential with it. You might check into that. I have tried to interest my kids in it, it is well paid and I think she said they have a union.

Hi Julie,

It is my understanding that CA passed a new cottage industry law that went into effect this January. I am looking at selling jams, jellys, pies, etc.... out of my home. I believe you have to take a food handlers course and register with the health dept.

I think there is a limit of how much you can make per year cooking from your own kitchen. It might still be an option for you to help fill in the gaps until you can rent a commercial kitchen or finish your schooling. Also, I know a lot of people have suggested nursing school, but please be realistic that nursing jobs in CA are few and far between to obtain. I am a nurse, and it has been an uphill battle. Best of luck!

For those of you recommending ultrasound tech- where do you live and do you have any idea how competitive the schools are for this in your area? I am interested in this but the schools are VERY competitive and have fewer spots than nursing programs. They often take years to get in, and you have to have all of your pre-reqs done first. I'm in WA state.

Hi Julie,

It is my understanding that CA passed a new cottage industry law that went into effect this January. I am looking at selling jams, jellys, pies, etc.... out of my home. I believe you have to take a food handlers course and register with the health dept.

I think there is a limit of how much you can make per year cooking from your own kitchen. It might still be an option for you to help fill in the gaps until you can rent a commercial kitchen or finish your schooling.

Um...this changes everything. Not sure how I missed the new law, but thank you for cluing me in.

I might have my answer right here. :thumbup1:

what about a phlebotomist?

at an adult education program here it is only a few weeks long for a certification.

I've considered doing that for fun! When I went into midwifery, I thought I wouldn't like doing blood draws, but I love the fact that I can do it and feel competent. I can even start an IV :)

Julie, I love what I do and make decent money ($25-$40/hour working about 30 hours a week for 7-8 months of the year; it took me 3.5 years to get to this point). Here is a recent web page put up about it, including how to get into this field (briefly, it took me six weeks and $400* to take the training course; getting the jobs -- and experience so you can go remote -- is harder). Please PM me if you want me to check colleges and large public school systems in your area that might use this service (send me links to the schools, not just their names). The bigger the better. Happy to do what I can to check into it for you.

ETA:

Look into TypeWell transcription for the deaf and hard of hearing. Milovany, fellow board member, does this, and so do I. If you search her name on this board, you'll see more info about it. She does this remotely from home. I work about 30 hours a week during the school year at the local college. Remote work pays more money, but you have to invest in your own equipment and training. Training is $400 and takes about four to six weeks to complete.

I hadn't seen SaraR's post before I made mine. (Hi, Sara!) She's right, you do have to have your own equipment and (sometimes) pay for your own training to work from home. *In my situation, I got hired by the local university first and they paid for my training if I gave them a year of my time. They paid me for the hours worked, too, of course, but I had to commit to working for a year before moving on. I worked for them for 2.5 years before going remote. As for equipment, all I've had to purchase is a dedicated laptop ($400ish), some good headphones, and a Ethernet cable. Skype is free and that's how you connect with the student wherever they are. I just sit on my bed cross-legged, headphones on, and type away! :)