Menu

How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true one?

Veritaserum

331 members have voted

1. 1. How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true/best one?

• I know it is the right/true/best religion/church for everyone and I wish everyone realized this.
    • I'm pretty sure, but I wouldn't say that I know it is the right/true/best religion/church. I think it's better than any other option available.
    • It's the right/true/best religion/church for me, but it isn't necessarily that for other people.
    • I don't believe that any religion/church is more right/true/good than any other. Each person must decide that for him/herself.
    • I know that all religion/churches are bad for everyone and I wish everyone realized this.
    • Other.
  2. 2. Do you still believe/attend the same religion/church that you did in your family of origin?

• Yes because I believe it.
    • Yes because it's expected by my family, but I don't believe any or part of the teachings.
    • No because I don't believe it and I found a religion/church that suits me better.
    • No because I don't believe it and I did not find a new religion/church.
    • Other.

I've been thinking a lot about religion lately and I'm curious to know what people think. The poll is anonymous, so please choose what most closely matches your thoughts.

Do you still believe/attend the same religion/church that you did in your family of origin?

ETA: I see from the comments that many people answered based on a general category like Christian. I should have worded things more carefully that I mean specific denominations (e.g. Roman Catholic, Methodist, etc.). Who has the "right" (or the most right) answers?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about your wording, Laura.

My "family of origin" never presented a religion/church to me. They were always talking about a man, a friend of theirs. They made him seem so real to me, I don't remember ever knowing a life that didn't center around Jesus; I always believed he was alive and that he loved me. Still, at age 56, through many good times and hard times, that is still my testimony.

I hope and pray I am leading my own children to the real Jesus.

Blessings!

I had a hard time choosing between your third and fourth options on the top section. It depends so much on what people want out of religion.

Here's how I'd phrase it: there are many things in life that help us come closer to God. For many different reasons, some of us do a better job at that than others, but there is still room for growth after we die. I'm not too concerned what religion people are as long as they are happy with what they have and feel like it's meeting their goals.

I wasn't sure how to vote for the second question, so I chose other. I was raised with no religion at all--not atheist or agnostic, it was just not spoken of AT ALL. I have absolutely no clue what my mother believes or doesn't believe. We are now Orthodox catechumens after spending 3.5 years at an Episcopal church and no religion before that.

Hmm...I had problems answering because I have different feelings depending on whether I used the word 'church' or 'religion' in the statement. They weren't equitable terms to me.

For instance, I attend a different church then my family, be we are still within the same religion. Similarly, I feel strongly about my religion, but not so much my church. I think churches are more a personality issue and I think its good to have a variety of sects to chose from, but I feel much stronger about the religion as a whole.

I voted but want to add this disclaimer...I don't believe it is about "religion" or "church" being the absolute right thing. I believe that it is absolutely all about Jesus Christ and how you respond to His call to accept Him in your heart and forgive you of your sins.

Depends on what you classify as church and religion. To me, any Christian church that teaches the Bible is part of "The Church." So, I wouldn't classify Baptists and Methodists differently. Does that make sense?

I grew up Christian. I am still a believer and still attend a Christian church. It is not the same denomination I grew up in, but it still follows the basic tenants of the Christian Church.

Hmm...I had problems answering because I have different feelings depending on whether I used the word 'church' or 'religion' in the statement. They weren't equitable terms to me.

I had the same problem. I ended up choosing the first option because I do believe salvation is only through faith in Jesus Christ.

However, as an adult I found that the church my parents attended taught some things not a part of the Christian faith. So we are in a different church, so I chose the third option on question two.

i voted "other" for the second part of your question. we didn't really go to church when i was growing up (except on christmas and easter we attended a presbyterian church nearby). religion just wasn't a part of our lives. we didn't knock it or love it. we just didn't incorporate it at all. i am christian now & attend a protestant church.

I agree with Amira that I had a hard time choosing between option three and four on the first question. I ended up choosing option three, though.

I was baptized Catholic, my family did not attend church until I was about 6, they attended that church until I was about 14, and then we all stopped going. It was a non-denominational church, but I did not agree at all with the pastor's teachings and still do not. My father does not either, but my mother partially does.

I am now inquiring within the Roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

I believe the first option on the poll applies to following Christ. I have less certainty when the word church is added and even religion is a bit of an off point for me. It's the person and not the human constructs added. I don't think any church, or any human for that matter, has the whole truth of Christ correct. Some are closer to the truth than others.

I had trouble with option 3 & 4 on the first question too. I chose 3, but could have just as easily chosen 4. I think religion/spirituality is an individual journey that leads to personal growth. No 2 may look alike.

I was raised RC and am now UU.

My personal feeling is that I won't know for sure if I'm right until I'm dead, so it's not my place to judge anyone for what they believe.

If people are nice, and honest, and decent, that's enough for me. Their religion (or lack thereof) is of no concern to me. (I mean, OK, if they're part of some sort of Satanistic cult and they sacrifice puppies and kitten, that's going to make a difference, but you know what I mean, right?)

Tough to answer, partially because of the wording. (I don't use faith/church/religion interchangeably.) The church I attend doesn't have it all right, and I also believe that there are many things we won't have full knowledge/understanding about until we see Jesus face to face. None of us have it 100%, and because that is part of my core beliefs (along with salvation through Jesus Christ being the only way), I do think my belief is right. LOL, does that make sense?

I see from the comments that many people answered based on a general category like Christian. I should have worded things more carefully that I mean specific denominations (e.g. Roman Catholic, Methodist, etc.). Who has the "right" (or the most right) answers?

The church I grew up in presents its doctrine as more true than any other presentation. I'm aware of at least some other denominations who have the same black-and-white presentation. I'm wondering how common that is.

I see from the comments that many people answered based on a general category like Christian. I should have worded things more carefully that I mean specific denominations (e.g. Roman Catholic, Methodist, etc.). Who has the "right" (or the most right) answers?

I don't think any specific denomination has it 100% correct. Furthermore, I believe those that say their denomination has the market cornered on being the "right path" and those that condemn others for not being in their club are arrogant. I especially abhor the attitude of people in some denominations that the only way to salvation is through their denomination. Yuck. If you feel God has led you to a specific denomination and you are happy there then I think that is wonderful, but don't assume that he might not have led me somewhere else.

How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true one? When I was very young, I thought my religion was the one true religion. As I grew up and gained experience and wisdom, came to the realization that no one church has as 5 Little Monkey's said, the market. There are so many stories from all faiths that cross over. I believe all religions - catholic, protestant, Episcopal come from God. As long as they lead you to God and faith, they can't be wrong. Now I have faith and not necessarily a religion, per say.

Do you still believe/attend the same religion/church that you did in your family of origin? I don't attend the same church anymore. I've fallen away completely because I didn't like the fact they got into politics and were telling me what I had to believe and if I didn't, I was guilty. I just don't feel I have to agree 100% with a church and its rules. There is no more one size fits all. Still have my faith, just not a place to worship with others. Doing my best to teach my son about faith and belief, without all the guilt stuff thrown in.

Yes, I attend the church of my family of origin.

I believe religion and church can be separate things. Religious Jews don't go to church. Religious Muslims don't go to church.

I do believe I belong to the church that Jesus started - the ancient church of which we now have two branches - the worldwide Catholic church in communion with the Bishop of Rome and the Eastern Orthodox church.

I will not say it is the best for all. I think that puts limitations on God that I"m not willing to apply to Him.

Yes, I do believe that my religion (Islam) is the truth, and it is what God wants people to live and believe.

I think it's sad that our religion is bashed so often, and the people and cultures around the world are used as the tool to learning the belief system of the religion. Using faulty humans as the measuring stick to what the religion teaches turns into faulty information. Anyway, I felt I had to say that because I think my first statement might seem scary to some.

I was raised Lutheran, confirmed in the faith, and kind of wandered in the New Age/UU world for 10 years before finding Islam.

Most people want their spouse to be the same religion, I would think. I don't though!

Really? Interesting! Not to sound cold, but I wouldn't be with my husband if he wasn't the same religion as me. My relationship with my Creator comes first, and either he's with me or not. Now, if he was swaying in his belief, we would talk about it and try to come to a resolution, but ultimately if it comes down to having to choose God or my husband... well, God wins.

I had trouble with option 3 & 4 on the first question too. I chose 3, but could have just as easily chosen 4. I think religion/spirituality is an individual journey that leads to personal growth. No 2 may look alike.

I was raised RC and am now UU.

My personal feeling is that I won't know for sure if I'm right until I'm dead, so it's not my place to judge anyone for what they believe.

If people are nice, and honest, and decent, that's enough for me. Their religion (or lack thereof) is of no concern to me. (I mean, OK, if they're part of some sort of Satanistic cult and they sacrifice puppies and kitten, that's going to make a difference, but you know what I mean, right?)

This. I found it really hard to chose between option 3 and 4. Oh and I am not Chrisitan in any shape or form. So I was asuming the Religion/Church, meant whatever religion you are and whatever denomination.

Yes I have a completely different feeling when thinking about this question.

I didn't think I had strong feelings. I don't mind if my kids grow up and become religious, but I'll admit there are some religions I'd be concerned about. I still wouldn't attempt to stop them and I'd still talk to them, but I can imagine that situation being uncomfortable.

:iagree:

Now this, what religion would you like your spouse to be? Or not be.

Most people want their spouse to be the same religion, I would think. I don't though!

My DH is not the same religion as me. He is in fact an even less mainstream religion then I am (in the US, in the World I think there are far more Hindus then Jews).

Oh and I am Jewish, I lean toward the agnostic side, but we go to a Conservative Temple, I was raised Reformed though.

I chose other for the first one. I don't really believe in my relgion much anymore - but I still attend because my DH very much believes in it and wants to raise the kids that way. I figure that's fair since when he married me he thought he was getting a committed person who would raise his kids in his religion. I keep my thoughts to myself on our religion because it upsets him if I mention my dsbelief issues and I don't want to confuse the kids at this young age.

I don't believe there is one religion for everyone though -or one right religion. People should worship as they see fit and not be subjected to all the "my church is the only true one" rubbish

Next time ask how important it is that our kids grow up believing as we do. That'll tell you how strongly people feel. ;)

Extremely important.

Now this, what religion would you like your spouse to be? Or not be.

I wish my dh had converted with me, but he didn't.

Tho truth be known, for a nonbeliever, he is often better at living the faith than most professing RC.

I agree with the pp who made a distinction between a religion and a church. Christianity is a religion and there are many kinds of Christian churches.

And imo, there are some which claim to be churches but do not actually fit a biblical definition of one.They may well be places of worship and faith communities, but not churches.

I was raised liberal Protestant and am now evangelical Reformed Protestant. So am I within the same tradition as my family of origin? On the surface it might seems so, but in fact my mother's "church" denies in it's teachings, practice and polity (though not in it's historical doctrinal statements) basic elements of the Christian gospel, things that all Christians believe.

We converted to the Orthodox Church three years ago because, after looking at church history, we did come to believe it is the ancient church from the New Testament times. But that doesn't mean I therefore think everyone not part of our church -- Catholic, Protestant or Other -- is on some kind of path of destruction. Not at all. Who am I to judge others? That is up to God and the God I know is loving and merciful. I have so far to go myself, and I pray for His mercy as I press on to take hold of that for which Jesus Christ took hold of me. I just pray that everyone is moving toward God more and more on their journey, open to giving up everything to come into communion with Him. I hope others will pray the same for me.

When my 99yo grandmother passed away almost three years ago (may her memory be eternal), she had gone from being an atheist to being agnostic to saying she was praying to saying she believed in God to saying she loved Him and wanted to go to heaven over the last 10 years of her life. Did she ever "pray a prayer"? No. Did she "accept Christ as her personal savior"? No. Was she baptized into the Orthodox church? No. Was she moving closer to God? Yes. And I pray for her still, trusting in God's abundant mercy and love. I've become far less judgmental (trying to decipher if other people are saved) since becoming Orthodox, and for that I am quite thankful.

As to the second part, this is not the faith I was raised with (we were raised non-religiously) nor is it the faith I held to for the first 20 +/- years of my Christianity. It came as a complete turnaround for us when we converted from western to eastern Christianity.

I am a Christian, so is my family of origin. I strongly believe in that as a religion. As far as a specific church? I grew up in the middle of the country. I have since lived on both coasts, 2 different places in Germany and in Hawaii. Churches vary *widely* according to region. So, we have attended many different types of more or less the non-denom and/ or charismatic type.

I believe those that say their denomination has the market cornered on being the "right path" and those that condemn others for not being in their club are arrogant. I especially abhor the attitude of people in some denominations that the only way to salvation is through their denomination. Yuck. If you feel God has led you to a specific denomination and you are happy there then I think that is wonderful, but don't assume that he might not have led me somewhere else.

Well said.

Yes, I attend the church of my family of origin.

I believe religion and church can be separate things. Religious Jews don't go to church. Religious Muslims don't go to church.

I do believe I belong to the church that Jesus started - the ancient church of which we now have two branches - the worldwide Catholic church in communion with the Bishop of Rome and the Eastern Orthodox church.

(snip)

:iagree:

I don't think any RC that I've come into contact with would put a limit as to God is HERE, but not over There. We know where God is, we don't know where He isn't. There's a reason other religions are called separated bretheren.

I didn't realize that last sentence there when I quoted. That part I didn't agree with.

I voted that each person must decide for themselves what they believe is the one right way for them. I don't think any one religion/church or lack there of is more right than another.

I voted other in the last because I'm not a follower of the religion I was baptised into (Polish catholic) nor am I practicing any other religion. I consider myself an atheist at this point, but voted other because my family wasn't really practicing either. I was made to go to first communion because it made grandma happy but neither of my parents went to church for anything other than that or a wedding.

Well, I'm Christian. So obviously I believe that that faith is right. Otherwise, I wouldn't claim to be a Christian, kwim?

I've never found a 'church' or 'denomination' that was right for me. I don't, at heart, understand how or why they're so divisive. If Christian churches all claim to follow Christ, how can only one be the 'right one'? That situation alone keeps me from being a member of any church, b/c I genuinely do not understand that perspective. And if I don't understand, I don't join, if that makes sense.

I am pretty dogmatic about the truth of the Christian faith, and I voted that way. On the second poll, I voted that I had changed, but only sort of. I grew up Protestant/Mennonite, but now we are Presbyterian. So, in a way I changed, but it's not like being raised Protestant and now being atheist . Although switching to the Presbyterian church was pretty major as far as my family is concerned.

I am pretty dogmatic about the truth of the Christian faith, and I voted that way. On the second poll, I voted that I had changed, but only sort of. I grew up Protestant/Mennonite, but now we are Presbyterian. So, in a way I changed, but it's not like being raised Protestant and now being atheist . Although switching to the Presbyterian church was pretty major as far as my family is concerned.

I get that.

Wolf was raised in MIL's church. He now won't go near it w/a 10 ft pole. While he doesn't agree w/the doctrine, and therefore wouldn't go, a *lot* of it has to do w/the way MIL is/was about it.

Anyways.

MIL pretty much loses her mind over it. The fact that we attend church isn't enough, it has to be HER church. That we're Christian isn't enough, b/c it isn't HER flavour.

*sigh*

I wasn't really sure what to answer. I am a follower of Jesus as is my family of origin and yet we don't agree at all. I have gone to an alliance church with my dh and my dc and the. We switched to a baptist church with our old pastors blessing. So to say that "my church" is the only church wouldn't really make sense to me. The churches in this town all get together regularly and get along really well.

I said "I know it's right" to the first question, but "other" to the last. I have changed from a denominational, evangelical protestant church to a non-denominational one. My dh and I feel that we have finally found a church that teaches the Bible the way we believe and in the way we feel it should be taught. The best thing about our pastor and our Sunday School teacher is that the Bible is taught in a way that attempts to take us out of our 21st century, western mentality and put us into the historical and cultural context in which it all happened. My dh has taught Bible all of his life. He even taught a senior adult Sunday school class when he was 15. He feels like he has learned so much more in the time we've been there.

I believe I'm in the right religion/church and wish everyone would join it. :-) However, my church teaches that there is some truth in all religions, so I don't necessarily believe that all others are going straight to, you know, the other place. :-)

My family was generic, not-really-practicing Protestant. I'm the odd man out. Again. ::cheeky grin::