Menu

public school health class

Is this common or am I just in the dark ages? I realize that most people on here home school but I'm sure many of you are aware of what is going on in your public schools. BTW we are not an ultra conservative family and are very open with our teens regarding certain topics. I was still a bit surprised when my son came home telling me about the movie they watched in freshman health class yesterday. They have been learning about reproduction, etc. and were told that they were going to be watching a film about birth. It started out as almost a documentary about teens getting pregnant but then it ended up showing video of a birth. It showed two births and both of the moms were only 15. He said it showed everything up close.

I realize that it is important that kids know about these things and of course we have already talked to my son about everything but I think I am more upset that someone would let their young teen be filmed like that. I'm also a bit upset that they would show a freshman class a film showing girls their own age giving birth. I know the purpose is to probably scare the kids away from having babies that young but I'm still not sure I like the way they dealt with it. I think that they could have had a movie talking to teen parents and their parents and could have even had a camera in the room but I don't see why they had to actually show the head coming out, etc. I think my oldest daughter is still a bit scarred from the movie she saw in freshman health class. The video was of the teacher giving home birth and was very graphic. It kind of made things awkward for the kids the rest of the year.

I'm just curious what the Hive thinks about this.

edited to add: I am not planning on contacting the school or teachers about this. I definitely think that health is an important subject. I just don't think I like the scare tactic approach they are using by showing 15 year old girls giving birth. I also think it wasn't best watching this with a mixed class. Yes, birth is a beautiful, natural process but I don't think that they necessarily need to show everything. Of course I think that my daughter's teacher went way overboard showing herself giving birth. TMI for the class.

Edited by hpymomof3

We watched a birth video in health class in high school, and I do not recall my parents being informed about it. I swore I would never have kids after seeing that lol. Actually the video was the mild part of that class. Honestly, I have no idea why a creepy health teacher guy was allowed to discuss some of the things he did with high school kids, but I went to high school in a very rough part of town where teen pregnancy and STDs were the norm. That was in the mid 90s.

Other than this: "The video was of the teacher giving home birth and was very graphic. It kind of made things awkward for the kids the rest of the year.":001_huh: Awkward would be an understatement.

I don't have a problem with showing freshmen films showing the birthing process. I am probably a lot more liberal about nudity, natural-bodily functions, breastfeeding, sex, birth and death than most who post here.

I'll have to ask dd14 to ask her friend who is in health right now. Dd14 is in P.E. this semester. Of course the semester isn't over so the topic may not yet have been covered. I don't like the idea at all. That's more than I want to see and I don't think my dd needs to see it so graphically. I have no idea if our school does that.

I did not see such a film back in my high school days in the 80s.

Is this common or am I just in the dark ages? I realize that most people on here home school but I'm sure many of you are aware of what is going on in your public schools. BTW we are not an ultra conservative family and are very open with our teens regarding certain topics. I was still a bit surprised when my son came home telling me about the movie they watched in freshman health class yesterday. They have been learning about reproduction, etc. and were told that they were going to be watching a film about birth. It started out as almost a documentary about teens getting pregnant but then it ended up showing video of a birth. It showed two births and both of the moms were only 15. He said it showed everything up close.

I realize that it is important that kids know about these things and of course we have already talked to my son about everything but I think I am more upset that someone would let their young teen be filmed like that. I'm also a bit upset that they would show a freshman class a film showing girls their own age giving birth. I know the purpose is to probably scare the kids away from having babies that young but I'm still not sure I like the way they dealt with it. I think that they could have had a movie talking to teen parents and their parents and could have even had a camera in the room but I don't see why they had to actually show the head coming out, etc. I think my oldest daughter is still a bit scarred from the movie she saw in freshman health class. The video was of the teacher giving home birth and was very graphic. It kind of made things awkward for the kids the rest of the year.

I'm just curious what the Hive thinks about this.

To the teacher showing her own home birth video - yikes !!! Waaaaay too personal. I believe teachers should have some professional distance from their students.

Regarding the birth videos of stranger-teens - if the girl and her parents gave permission to have the videos made and shown, I would not have a problem with it. My mom was a L&D nursing dept head. She would come home from work and tell me about the 14 and 15 yo patients who had babies that day. I only knew about this because of her. Most students at the school had no concept of that reality. Most pregnant teens were swept out of our school to study at home or they would move away to a home for unwed mothers out of state. We were sheltered from seeing the reality of teen pregnancy. There was only one girl who kept attending classes on campus until she delivered. She was huge and her discomfort was rather unglamorous, and I know that seeing the reality of her trudging around our large campus near her due date made an impression. Graphic birth videos of other teens (that we didn't know), shown at the beginning of 9th grade, might have helped to prevent some of those teen pregnancies.

I don't know, personally I think that is something kids should do at home with their parents. The age may vary. I'm pretty sure I saw a birth video on TV, or at least saw pictures, when I was elementary school age. And it did not scar me, but my mom was right there.

I realize some parents don't do this with their kids, but I recommend that parents who want to be proactive find out when it will be introduced in school and get it done at home before that.

I don't see how a video of teens (vs. adults) giving birth is helpful. If it's scary at age 15, how is it suddenly not scary to think of doing that at age 18 or 22? I remember my mom telling me about her birth experiences and I had no doubt that it was painful, but my mom explained, "after you have the baby, you're so euphoric, you no longer care about all that other stuff." :) She should know, she had 6 of us! Anyhoo, wouldn't it be better to focus on the fact that childbirth is what it is, and the pros and cons of giving birth at 15 go way beyond the physical aspect?

The idea of showing a graphic video of the teacher's home birth is disgusting. I'm sorry. What an idiot.

I will add that I was never shown a birth video in school, and yet I grew into a competent adult. :tongue_smilie:

I'm very open with my kids about sex and reproduction, and the video wouldn't bother me a bit.

However, I don't know how useful it is. I'm all about the evidence--does it work? Does it cause harm? Will it backfire?

In general, scare tactics don't work with teens, and in some cases actually increase the targeted behavior, not decrease it.

The 13-member panel of experts, convened by the National Institutes of Health, reviewed the available scientific evidence to look for consensus on causes of youth violence and ways to prevent it.

"`Scare tactics' don't work," the panel concluded in its draft report Friday morning. "Programs that seek to prevent violence through fear and tough treatment do not work."

I've seen a number of examples of interventions that actually backfired. It really irks me when schools adopt an approach like this without looking at the consequences.

But if it works, I'm all for it. :)

Other than this: "The video was of the teacher giving home birth and was very graphic. It kind of made things awkward for the kids the rest of the year.":001_huh: Awkward would be an understatement.

Having taught ps high school I cannot imagine showing something so personal to my students. :eek:

That sounds normal to me.

I don't see anything weird about it or wrong with it. I actually think 9th grade might be a little late...

:iagree: I'm not sure I agree that 9th grade is too late, but I definitely don't see anything wrong with it.

I went through the topics that were covered during Health class and made a call to the School. Supposedly the inability to find alternatives was not the reason that my child was moved to PE for the first semester. I totally believe that a mixed gender class is unacceptable. I am pretty open about things, but some guy talking through things, and hearing that they commented about sex... hmmmm... And how do you not comment? I'm not sure. Is it like visiting Ireland and so you mention it when you study Ireland?? :(

I honestly can't stand birthing scenes in movies - even fictional ones. I absolutely leave the room every time. It's not that I think giving birth is something horrid - I was pretty happy to be having a baby when it was my time. And I think birth is a natural, normal part of being a human and not something shameful. That said, it seems intensely personal to me. The woman is incredibly vulnerable, and it just makes me so uncomfortable. Maybe there is something wrong with me, lol, but I absolutely positively would not stay and watch that movie.

But I understand all the arguments in favor - I get that kids need to understand this process. I don't even think it's primary objective is necessarily to scare them. It's just something people should understand a little about.

So I am not sure I would raise a stink. I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't expect the school to conform to my preferences. I've had kids in public and private school and Christian schools, and so far, none of them have been keen on doing whatever I think it best.

I remember our movie, but it was definitely not a teenage girl.

I don't think I'd have a problem with the movie but.... Why are we still trying to scare kids with birthing videos??? The birth is NoT the hard part!!!!

How about a movie about everything they give up with teenage parenting? How about making the class go to social services and learn about welfare? How about having them volunteer in their high school's daycare (mine had one and that was 20 years ago)? A panel discussion at least!

ETA- it's still informative to see a birth- I just don't agree with using it as a deterrent!

I think it just depends what you are sensitive to. I watched the birth video in middle school and thought it was AMAZING!

I watched the drug abuse video in middle school, showing people shooting up, etc , and was traumatized - bad dreams, horrible thought images...ugh. It was like it was imbedded in my brain and I couldn't get rid of it.

You just never know! I do think you should have an opportunity to discuss with your kids PRIOR.

We watched The Miracle of Life in tenth grade. My teacher was pregnant, and I am sure she would have liked us to handle an emergency childbirth. I think watching the teacher give birth is weird. Watching a birth movie for educational purposes is different and, even if graphic, seems a lot less weird.

I am fine with a professionally produced birth video in health class for EDUCATION. I think it is good to have an understanding of the birth process.

I am not fine with scare tactics or using birth as a scare tactic because they don't work and I don't want my kids to have a fear of birth. Teens don't need to be scared of the labor and delivery process in order to learn that delaying parenthood and sexual activity in general is a smart idea.

I am not down with a teacher showing their home videos of birth to their students. That seems very unprofessional.

Just an observation. If the target audience is kids growing up in an area with high rates of teen pregnancy, using "examples" in school to inform/deter them seems about as intelligent as teaching rural children that plants grow out of the ground. :tongue_smilie:

I don't have a problem with a professionally produced video in health class.

Do you actually know that the purpose was to "scare"?

A teacher using her own video that would be a big NO.

In my district all materials used must be from an approved list. Parents can go view these materials on their own. Information on when and where parents can look at these materials is provided at the beginning of the school year when parents are given materials to choose to opt out of the s__ portion of the curriculum. No way would a personal video be permitted. EWWW.

We saw the birthing movie in high school, but the girls were the only ones that saw it. It was horrid and I just remember the woman screaming a lot. The boys were probably watching their own film, or discussing football as our teacher was the coach. I found the movie horrid, scary, and at that point decided never to give birth in that manner. Technically, I haven't as I had a c-section. :lol:

As far as showing it boys? IDK. I think I'd be okay with it as long as I had given permission. But do they have signed permission slips for stuff like that anymore?

I am fine with a professionally produced birth video in health class for EDUCATION. I think it is good to have an understanding of the birth process.

I am not fine with scare tactics or using birth as a scare tactic because they don't work and I don't want my kids to have a fear of birth. Teens don't need to be scared of the labor and delivery process in order to learn that delaying parenthood and sexual activity in general is a smart idea.

I am not down with a teacher showing their home videos of birth to their students. That seems very unprofessional.

:iagree: 100%

Video of THEIR teacher??? Totally inappropriate and unprofessional.

Video of a stranger, filmed with that person's consent? Appropriate and educational. Teens will find anything birth related gross; they'll live through it.

I do not quite understand why some posters said it is OK for girls to watch a birth video, but not for boys. Really? Boys don't need to know about birth? They just donate sperm and walk away? I think they need to know, too. Just because they are not the ones who actually give birth to their kids does not mean they should remain ignorant.

Edited by regentrude

Video of a stranger, filmed with that person's consent? Appropriate and educational. Teens will find anything birth related gross; they'll live through it.

I do not quite understand why some posters said it is OK for girls to watch a birth video, but not for boys. Really? Boys don't need to know about birth? They just donate sperm and walk away? I think they need to know, too. Just because they are not the ones who actually give birth to their kids does not mean they should remain ignorant.

:iagree: Especially the bolded. I taught childbirth classes for many years and my small children were in the room when I screened birth films before showing them to my students. They are very aware of the process and have learned to frame it in a healthy way.

we had a notice come home this past week in my daughters class. THey informed the parents prior and you could opt out of the series. BUT...I cant imagine she had approval to show her OWN birth! That just sounds too much to be true? Is is possible she was saying it was like her birth and the kids misunderstood? I cant imagine any district allowing that! wow.

Otherwise, I wouldnt have any problems with a birth film.

First of all, I'm very conservative and a Christian. That being said, my dd learned ALL about reproduction and birth last year during our study of the human body in 3rd grade. She was asking questions and it was a perfect time to address them. I believe in telling her the truth. We watched videos and discussed everything.

I think it's okay to show factual videos in school, but I also think it would be appropriate to notify the parents of what was going to be shown beforehand so parents could "opt out" if they so choose.

The teacher using herself as a model....nope...I don't think that's appropriate at all. This could really be uncomfortable for some kids. This is just my opinion though.

I don't have a problem with showing freshmen films showing the birthing process. I am probably a lot more liberal about nudity' date=' natural-bodily functions, breastfeeding, sex, birth and death than most who post here.[/quote']

:iagree:

The teacher showed her own birth video?????:w00t::willy_nilly::svengo::svengo:

:iagree:With all of the above. We watched detailed birth films in health (1980ish). Classes were single gender but both genders watched the films. The birth film wasn't nearly as bad as the std photos.

Not sure how I feel about the video but my oldest ds saw two of my births and my oldest dd saw one. I'd be more concerned that the videos would give them a poor perspective of birth. I don't think freaking girls out with crazy or unrealistic births(women screaming and writhing in agony) is helpful at all.

Edited by twoxcell

Not sure how I feel about the video but my oldest ds saw two of my births and my oldest dd saw one. I'd be more concerned that the videos would give them a poor perspective of birth. I don't think freaking girls out with ridiculous births(women screaming and writhing in agony) is helpful at all.

Speaking as one of those women who was screaming and writhing in agony, every birth is not calm, quiet or pain-free. Mine was only 45 minutes tho, so I guess it was a fair trade. :D

Speaking as one of those women who was screaming and writhing in agony, every birth is not calm, quiet or pain-free. Mine was only 45 minutes tho, so I guess it was a fair trade. :D

I'm not saying that they are. I had some pretty tough births myself, but the hollywoodized(not sure that is a word) version of birth is not good either. Neither is watching someone who is completely out of control give birth kwim.

Her own video? Inappropriate, to put it mildly.

A "regular" video? Pretty sure it's not a scare-tactic; it's information, and I think every teen should know what happens in birth. It would be best, imo, if they showed multiple ways of birthing--perhaps a midwife/natural, a hospital/L&D/medicated delivery, and a Cesarean (they could edit that one a bit ;)).

I think boys need to know, too!!

A "regular" video? Pretty sure it's not a scare-tactic; it's information, and I think every teen should know what happens in birth. It would be best, imo, if they showed multiple ways of birthing--perhaps a midwife/natural, a hospital/L&D/medicated delivery, and a Cesarean (they could edit that one a bit ;)).

I think it's sad that most people have never seen a birth before they're pregnant. If you're teaching about reproduction to older kids, it would be incomplete without a video of a birth. I suggest one medicalized in the hospital and undrugged deliveries at a free standing birth center, and a homebirth. Some, not all, women scream and writhe-get over it. Are you educating them about reality or are you staging something that isn't an accurate representation? The latter isn't educational.

I would not show a video of anyone the kids actually knew.

When a woman is giving birth, she should be allowed to make what ever noises she wants. Making everyone else in the room comfortable is not something anyone should spend time on. The woman in labor (with drugs or without) should feel free to make whatever noises come naturally. If you're invited to the delivery (or on staff) you should be emotionally mature enough to handle whatever noises and movements the birthing mother makes for heaven's sake. If kids are old enough to know all about the details, then they should be getting all of the details.

We were taught reproduction, STD and birth control in 3rd grade. We watched the government issued abortion video in 6th grade. So watching a filmed for education birth video at high school would not strike us as unusual.

My mum worked in the NICU and she always hears of fathers fainting in the birthing/labour room.

We were taught reproduction, STD and birth control in 3rd grade. We watched the government issued abortion video in 6th grade. So watching a filmed for education birth video at high school would not strike us as unusual.

I think it is very unusual, though, to watch the teacher's home video of her own birth. A professional educational program is a different matter.

I remember we watched a video at some point when I was in middle school- I want to say it was 8th grade science when we were studying the reproductive system. We probably got a double-whammy when we came across the topic again in Health.

I don't think that it particularly helped, or was harmful in any way, at all. Rather, I think it's pretty useless.

I think framed effectively it could be useful, but I think birth videos are to be expected.

I wasn't screaming exactly, but I have to say there wasn't one darn thing pleasant about the experience. I was in labor for three days with my first. The actual birth was almost fun in comparison because at least at that point they gave me an epidural. Then with my second, they gave me an epidural, but the guy screwed it up. I broke my tail bone and they had to use forceps. So I imagine the birth looked pretty ridiculous.

I guess I cringe at the word "ridiculous" used with difficult birthing situations.

I'm sorry ridiculous was the wrong choice of words. Couldn't think of the right word to say what I meant. No I don't think birth is exactly pleasant or fields of roses.:lol: I was thinking more of people who I know that were terrified of birth because there only knowledge of it was from movies, or from over blown birth tales(you know the type that get worse each time they are told.) Didn't mean to offend anyone.:blush:

My mum worked in the NICU and she always hears of fathers fainting in the birthing/labour room.

We didn't have a government issue abortion video in the midwest, USA, in the 80's. We didn't get to reproduction until fifth grade, or STDs until eighth grade.

(I forgot to add this, because I was stirring the chex mix): Eighth grade for the STD talk seemed a little late to me, even at the time.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

The video of random teens would not bother me (a video of *the* teacher would.)

However, I would want to know the context and intent. Information and education is helpful. Scare tactics on teens is patronizing.

Posted by the mom who posted a few "text and drive" youtubes on her FB in a passive aggressive way to get her teen's attention.........

I think the teacher showing her own home birth was probably inappropriate. Discussing it with students who were curious, maybe, but showing the birth -- probably not. ETA: Although, being a homebirther myself, I do think it's good that students were shown the option of homebirth -- it's not for everyone, but it can be a wonderful option for some families, and I think it's nice to plant the seed of options in kids' heads early.

I also think it was inappropriate to show graphic videos without parental permission. Now, I showed my kids birth videos and have had them at my births (they were all supposed to be at DS3's birth, and we watched videos to prepare them for that, including DS1 and DS2's birth videos, but DS3 was born so quickly that they missed the actual birth), but we did a lot of discussing and talking about it all ahead of time. And I think within a family is a totally different thing. I can see why a school might want to try to warn kids about teen pregnancy, but I'm not sure that's the way to do it (I'm pretty sure they're not going to be thinking about birth when they're thinking about having s*x), and I think in a school setting is totally different from a home setting. Yet another reason I homeschool.

Her own video? Inappropriate, to put it mildly.

And these videos aren't hollywood-ized. At least nothing I saw was, and I highly doubt it's become that way since then.