Menu

Don't even know how to title this post

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, everyone.

All right- nobody else better make me laugh! :glare: :lol:

I'm on these boards so much, you all feel like a second family to me sometimes. I do feel support from here, and it does help. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and concerns and prayers.

Yeah. I don't think I've really registered it yet. The only person who burst into tears when he saw me was my other best friend, Matt. He just couldn't keep it together.

The only question I kept asking the doctors was "How could it just start hurting so suddenly?" They told me that it had probably finally become so big that it had twisted the ovary and that was the pain I was feeling. There is sort of more of a back story, which I'm too drained to go into, now, but I guess there were signs that something was wrong, but I just attributed them to other things.

I'm very, very angry at the doctor I went to see last summer because I thought I must have a thyroid problem. I knew something was wrong. I eat extremely healthily, exercise, etc. I was even keeping track of everything I ate at that point. I told him that for the way I ate and the amount of activity I did, I thought I should have way more energy. I told him that simple things like taking a shower or going grocery shopping exhausted me. I told him I couldn't figure out why my feet were swollen all the time and that I really should be losing some weight. He told me that I needed to be really honest with myself about what I was eating, and that I could consider cutting out carbs completely, and that my feet were swollen because I was heavy. He didn't listen to a thing I said. I actually left his office in tears. And then, my thyroid and other blood levels that he checked came back normal, so he was basically done with me. When I'm up to it, he is going to get a scathing letter.

Please don't beat yourself up about this. Those tests would not have shown ovarian cancer. It is almost impossible to diagnose at an early stage. My mother had ovarian cancer, and my OB/GYN now gives me an annual transv*ginal ultrasound to examine my ovaries. That's really the only way it can be diagnosed early. The C-125 blood test is so wildly inaccurate many doctors won't even order one. Physically looking at your ovaries is the only way to tell if there is a problem. Obviously doing that on every woman who walks in for an annual exam would be cost prohibitive, so essentially, there is NO screening test out there for ovarian cancer. And since it isn't a high research priority, I don't anticipate that there will be one forthcoming. Unfortunately.

You are living my worst nightmare, I am so sorry. :grouphug: I'm glad you have a support network to help you through everything. You can beat this. Wishing you a quick recovery from your surgery and strength as you go through treatment.

I'm very, very angry at the doctor I went to see last summer because I thought I must have a thyroid problem. I knew something was wrong. I eat extremely healthily, exercise, etc. I was even keeping track of everything I ate at that point. I told him that for the way I ate and the amount of activity I did, I thought I should have way more energy. I told him that simple things like taking a shower or going grocery shopping exhausted me. I told him I couldn't figure out why my feet were swollen all the time and that I really should be losing some weight. He told me that I needed to be really honest with myself about what I was eating, and that I could consider cutting out carbs completely, and that my feet were swollen because I was heavy. He didn't listen to a thing I said. I actually left his office in tears. And then, my thyroid and other blood levels that he checked came back normal, so he was basically done with me. When I'm up to it, he is going to get a scathing letter.

Hi. I'm so sorry for everything you're going through.

You might want to contact a medical malpractice attorney and consider filing a lawsuit. I used to be more blase about this sort of thing, but if he didn't even give you the option of doing more tests when you were certain there was something wrong, he is guilty of malpractice. And you are going to have plenty of medical bills and expenses. And unfortunately doctors take lawsuits more seriously than scathing letters, if for no other reason than that if they don't, their insurance will get yanked.

:grouphug:

Oh my, how traumatic. :grouphug:

My mom had went through something similar when I was young. She thought she was pregnant (which is what she wanted), but ended up in surgery, and then a complete hysterectomy. There was a large cyst, and then they found cancer.

You try to be thankful that they found the ovarian cancer to early, before it's too late, but it's hard not to be in shock and morn what you've lost. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Lynne - thinking of you and your family non-stop right now. And yes, some doctor does deserve a kick in the pants. I had a similar experience with a doctor a while back and some auto-immune issues. Not nearly this serious though!

Please keep us up to date if/when you can? Sending many peaceful and healing thoughts. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I don't remember exactly what tests he did. I remember getting the form letter with the results and it saying that everything tested within the normal range. I wish I had saved it, but when it came, it made me so upset again at the way he treated me, that I crumpled it up in a ball and threw it away. He was such a condescending a$$hole. Of course, I'm kicking myself in the pants that I never followed up with someone else. I'm kicking myself in the pants because I never found a new ob/gyn when my old one moved away. I'm kicking myself in the pants that the last time I had a pelvic exam was 4 years ago by my family doctor. I don't really get sick, so I haven't been to the doctor in ages for her to suggest getting another pap, so I just let it slide.

LADIES- GET REGULAR EXAMS!!!!!!!!!

It is because of my previously mentioned friend that I get a pap every year. I went seven years without going. You just never know.

Stupid dr.

Lynne :grouphug: I want to encourage you. Saturday I will be attending an open house for a friend/homeschooling mom who is celebrating 10 years of being cancer free. Life hasn't been easy for her (colostomy (?) and lymph nodes that don't work properly in one leg), but she celebrates every year.

More hugs for you! And so happy your pain is diminished..soreness is much more tolerable than unyielding pain any day! Please, please have the hospital or oncologist forward the results to that OB...he NEEDS to know that if he sees a pt. with your symptoms again, to be more thorough and check it out.

I am struggling with that right now, had a kidney ailment the first of the year that was pretty rough...now I have another one and after 3 doctors, finally getting one that is doing the right tests..we have to be diligent in our care...too often doctors presuppose what our problem is without clear markers to guide them!

There is sort of more of a back story, which I'm too drained to go into, now, but I guess there were signs that something was wrong, but I just attributed them to other things.

Don't beat yourself up. My late dh wasn't diagnosed until stage 4. He would not have been concerned, but a doctor detected a problem at a routine aviation physical.

In retrospect, dh had a LOT of small symptoms that should have alerted us to a problem- his waist was getting larger for no apparent reason (enlarged spleen), he was getting a lot of colds, when he usually never got sick. He was no longer cold all the time, his knees hurt more than usual. I actually got kind of mad at him, because he couldn't tell me if his knee pain was joint pain or muscular pain. The pain was caused by a tumor in his spine.

Your doctor sounds like a complete ass, but even having a good doctor that orders all the right tests might only speed up a diagnosis by a month or two.

Take care of yourself and your family- it's a roller coaster. :grouphug:

Wow... I am so sorry. What an ordeal. I'm so glad that they did catch it and that they're treating it aggressively. You absolutely cannot blame yourself for not following up, or second guess your decisions. I'm so angry for you that the other doctor blew you off but as others said, that's unfortunately common. We are all here for you and thinking of you. :grouphug: Do whatever you need to care for yourself.

:iagree: and :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this. It must be a great shock. It's ok to be in shock for a while. You've been through a lot in a short time, and you have a long journey ahead of you. Your world has changed.

It sounds like you have the support and the courage to make it through. Give yourself permission to cry, grieve, be angry, be thankful, be weak, be strong, be loved. You will get through this.

:grouphug: