Menu

If someone referred to their husband as their "lover"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't faze be but then again I grew up around a family member that called their significant other "Papa Bear" and "Daddy" (he did not have kids). It grossed me out as a kid, lol. I'm embarrassed to say I have called my husband Daddy in public more then once and have gotten some strange looks afterwards. It embarrasses me when it slips. :blush5:

Oh no! I call my DH "Love" (when I am talking to him). Not lover. And I never *refer* to him as my lover! I agree that is :ack2:.

But now I'm all paranoid about "Love"! Is it bad to call him "Love"? Or "My love"? It is my name for him (to his face). When I'm talking to others I always call him "my husband" or use his name. I never, never call him his name when I am talking to him. It feels so unnatural to me!!!! I just can't do it. He calls me Sweetheart, and I call him Love or My love.

So give it to me straight... are we horrid?! I'm scared to ask, but I also don't want to be freaking anyone else out! (We use those names in the presence of others also.)

:leaving:

Love is entirely different from Lover, in my estimation. Love, Luv...fine. I had an elderly great-aunt who would call me Lovie. Irritating, but not icky. Love Machine? A-ok. It's just Lover that gives me the skeeves.

No, love does not bother me but lover sure does. I guess we all saw the same SNL skit since that is the first thing that popped into my mind.

eeewww like others said. I am happy I have never run across this. And if I heard a woman who was married say this, I would think she was open about having affairs like Bob, my lover versus Steve, my husband kind of thing.:001_huh:

Love is entirely different from Lover, in my estimation. Love, Luv...fine. I had an elderly great-aunt who would call me Lovie. Irritating, but not icky. Love Machine? A-ok. It's just Lover that gives me the skeeves.

:iagree: "Love" and "my love" are totally different. It's amazing what a difference a little R can make!

Oh no! I call my DH "Love" (when I am talking to him). Not lover. And I never *refer* to him as my lover! I agree that is :ack2:.

But now I'm all paranoid about "Love"! Is it bad to call him "Love"? Or "My love"? It is my name for him (to his face). When I'm talking to others I always call him "my husband" or use his name. I never, never call him his name when I am talking to him. It feels so unnatural to me!!!! I just can't do it. He calls me Sweetheart, and I call him Love or My love.

So give it to me straight... are we horrid?! I'm scared to ask, but I also don't want to be freaking anyone else out! (We use those names in the presence of others also.)

Oooh, I love "Love". I call my dh that all the time. Maybe I'm horrid too, but I don't care. :) I love it. And yes, I call him that in public too, but I don't refer to him as "my love" when talking to other people.

I'm going to try "Sperminator" on him tonight and see what he does. :)

I use the nickname "Love" with my kids and DH. I don't think it's anything like "lover." I picked it up from friends who are South African. My dad always called my mom Love and he picked it up from a colleague who was British.

When I was a kid, I only knew "making love" to mean "having s3x." So you can imagine how horrified I was by the song "Under the Boardwalk." :D

I thought people were Pretty Darn Kinky.

Well, I always imagined the two of them getting it on under the boardwalk, and ditto for "Brown Eyed Girl," in the green grass, behind the stadium. It was recorded only three years later!

:auto:

Is she part of Marriage Encounter?

LOL As a ME kid (my parents have been team for 32-ish years), I guess I'm desensitied. I don't use the term, but I'm used to hearing it from my childhood.

I have a friend who uses it mostly because it bugs his young adult daughter and it has become a joke between them.

Weird and gross. I also don't like "my beloved." All of it is just too dramatic. Just call them by their name. I mean I understand pet names when you're talking lovey-dovey to each other but those 2 squick me out.

:iagree:

It sounds like they're trying way too hard - like when they start making obvious compliments about their spouse to you, in front of their spouse. "Oh, something I really like about Pete is how he folds his socks on laundry day!". Great...thanks for sharing this week's "Have the Best Marriage in 7 Easy Steps" homework.

:iagree:

It sounds like they're trying way too hard - like when they start making obvious compliments about their spouse to you, in front of their spouse. "Oh, something I really like about Pete is how he folds his socks on laundry day!". Great...thanks for sharing this week's "Have the Best Marriage in 7 Easy Steps" homework.

:lol: Yes, this.

I only call dh "lover", and various other names I will not share;) to his face. No one needs to be reminded that we still brew teA. I think the 3 kids are a dead giveaway.

I too cringe when I hear the "soulmate" crud. Dh is my sanity-keeper. He keeps me out of jail and mental institutions. That's much cooler than "soulmate".:tongue_smilie:

I too cringe when I hear the "soulmate" crud.

I knew a woman who went on and on about how her dh was her soulmate, and I have to tell you, it was incredibly annoying.

I probably shouldn't admit it, but both my dh and I laughed a few months later when we heard that the "soulmates" were getting a divorce. :tongue_smilie:

I knew a woman who went on and on about how her dh was her soulmate, and I have to tell you, it was incredibly annoying.

I probably shouldn't admit it, but both my dh and I laughed a few months later when we heard that the "soulmates" were getting a divorce. :tongue_smilie:

LOL... it's probably wrong, but that is funny. :D

Actually, the first thing I thought of, even before the SNL skit, was the S*x and the City episode where Carrie announces to the girls that she's "taking a lov-ah"... :lol:

I think on a particularly snarky day I would gasp and say, "Your LOVER? Oh my, does your husband have any idea??" ;)

what would you think? This person will say things like "My lover, Bob. . . " or "I'm going out tonight with my lover." She is not saying it in a joking way and there is no doubt that she's really referring to her husband. I realize that my husband is my lover, but it throws me off somehow when she does this.

That would make me....uncomfortable.

I'm embarrassed to say I have called my husband Daddy in public more then once and have gotten some strange looks afterwards. It embarrasses me when it slips. :blush5:

Weird and gross. I also don't like "my beloved." All of it is just too dramatic. Just call them by their name. I mean I understand pet names when you're talking lovey-dovey to each other but those 2 squick me out.

I have always called my dh either Daddy or my beloved.

But from here on out, I'm bestowing the title of The Sperminator upon him.

Better yet, let's make it very formal and regal official sounding:

The Beloved Big Daddy Sperminator

I'm mean. I totally would have laughed too:lol:!

That would be appropriate in your case:tongue_smilie::lol:.

I totally call my husband "Lover", not so much as in "My lover, bob, and I went to the movies"

but I will say

"I've got a date with my lover!" in front of my girlfriends

and answer the phone with "Hello Lover" 50 percent of the time when he calls. Sometimes its "why hello handsome man" and sometimes its "WHAT!!!???" when its a bad time.

I probably annoy the heck out of people.

(California born tree hugger)

You know, not a week goes by that I don't hear that question. Or asking I know what caused it yet. lol

A bit OT, but I just had to say that I hate it when people ask that ("have you figured out what causes it?") Ugh. I heard a great comeback to this from a woman at a hs thing last year. She said her response is to say, "Well, yeah. That's the best part!" :D

Have also never heard of Marriage Encounter before. Off to gooooogle. :auto:

OH MY GOSH. :eek: I could not be around anyone acting like that. LOL

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!:rofl:

I think if I heard it once, it would give me pause. More than that, and I'd have to ask why she calls him that.

I didn't think of the SNL skit, as I had never seen it (thank you, LibraryLover *hehe* for posting the link!), but I did think of the old movie Nina Takes a Lover. I actually like that movie. :blushing: