Menu

s/o of "red-shirting"

If you wouldn't mind sharing what age (birth month & year) and "grade" you have your children at, I would really appreciate it, and how old will they be when they graduate based on a May/June graduation timeframe.

Especially in the 3-5th grade range, but all are welcome. I haven't done any in-depth research on birth dates and grade ranges, but I keep getting the impression on here and with at our homeschool group that a lot of the homeschooled kids that are around the same age as DD are actually "labeled" a grade level below her for whatever purposes. I say labeled, because we all know that actual learning level can be wildly disparate for each child.

I'm trying to decide where I should "place" DD for a few different reasons and am bouncing it around in my brain.

ETA: She is 10 - August 2002, and right now she is Grade 5, as far as "labeling" goes.

Edited by fraidycat

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link, February 2004 (age 8.5 currently) - 3rd grade - 18y4m at graduation (June 2022)

Astro, November 2005 (age 6.5 currently) - 1st grade - 18y6m at graduation (June 2024)

Pink, May 2009 (age 3 currently) - 18y1m at graduation (June 2027)

With Astro, his birthday is kind of early in the 'school year' (cutoff here is 5 by Sept 30 for K) so last year I had ideas about considering him 1st grade then and graduating a year earlier. While he still does some work that is above 'grade level' now, both my experience with him last year and not wanting to put him at a disadvantage when he gets older are what led me to go ahead and consider him in the same grade he would be in if he were at PS. If he ends up going through everything faster and graduating a year early after all, that's no problem, obviously. But I'd rather have the time 'built in' for him to be able to work at a slow and steady pace, if necessary, and not get behind. :)

Ds was in private school for prek and K. He had to be 4 to start prek, he has an early fall birthday, so that made him turning 5 right after starting prek the next year and turning 6 right after starting K.

prek - 5

k - 6

1st - 7

2nd - 8

3rd - 9

4th - 10

5th - 11

6th - 12

7th - 13

8th - 14

9th - 15

We continued to use those designations after homeschooling, so he just started high school. If I had been thinking more about it I might have done it differently in the early years and had him start high school last year, yet we used a graded boxed curriculum not a classical approach. As it was, he was a delayed reader, so the extra year has been helpful.

Dec '03 grade 3 and he will be 18 when he graduates (hopefully).

Feb '05 grade 2 and she should be 18 when she graduates as well.

Feb '07 It's hard to say what grade he is in right now because although he is registered in K right now, he is working on a mixture of grade 1 and grade 2 material. He should be 16 when he graduates.

This can get complicated, can't it? My oldest DD will be 10 in October and would be in 5th grade at our local school. However, the deadline has changed several times over the last five years, also it varies from city to city here in Phoenix. I started kindy with her when she was four almost five because at that time the deadline was 5 by Dec. 31 and all of her friends were starting (plus she seemed ready to start reading, etc.). Over in Mesa, the next town over, the deadline is different. So last year when she attended a public once a week enrichment program there, she was put a grade behind where I have her. None of this really matters to me, though, because we move at our own pace.

My son has an uncomplicated February birthday. He's 7 in second grade.

My next DD has another October birthday, and the second time around I think I'll wait longer before pushing anything formal with her.

Edited by Sara in AZ

Nov. 2005 - officially first grade, though working at 2nd grade and above level. I labeled him according to the state cutoff, which he misses by two months, and he'd graduate at 18y6m if he goes through "twelfth grade." He'll start accumulating high school credits earlier than his PSed peers though, so he'd be ready to graduate "early" if he wants.

Sept. 2009 - he'll be labeled according to the state cutoff as well, where he misses the cutoff by two weeks. So, he'd be 18y8m when he graduates.

My dd14 was born March 1998 and is in 9th grade. She'll be 18 yrs. 2 months when she graduates from public high school in May 2016.

My ds16 was born July 1996 and is in 11th grade, but I don't know when he'll graduate. We have never done traditional school years with homeschooling. He'll graduate when he finishes his last class but I have no way of knowing when that will be. :)

March 2004 (8.5yo)-3rd grade. Graduate at 18yrs 2mths

April 2006-1st grade (6.5yo). Graduate at 18yrs 1mth

Aug 2008-will start K next fall (4yo). Graduate at 17yrs 10mths

Most parents here would have redshirted my 4yo, but he will be more than ready for K next year. I would have been wary of putting him in the classroom where he is youngest boy by several months, and I am glad that won't be an issue for us.

ETA: By "here" I mean those in my community sending their dc to B&M schools.

Edited by Dinsfamily

Both of my daughters have May birthdays. When they were 10yo, if they had been in school, they would have been in fifth grade.

My bday is in July. I'm so happy that no one back in the day thought that I would have been too "young" for my grade and held me back a year. I graduated at 17 in June, was 18 in July.

Mr. Ellie's bday is September 7 (today!!). The cut-off in California was December 2 at that time, so yes, he was one of the "young" ones. He graduated in June and wasn't 18 until September. He is also glad he wasn't held back.

IMHO--very strong HO--the grade that hsers label their children for outsiders should be the one according to the child's date of birth and the cut-off in their state; IOW, the year the child is 6yo by the cut-off date would be his first-grade year, not his kindergarten year (some people hold their dc back a year by doing it that way).

August '96-10th grade-18 when graduates

October '98-8th grade-18 when graduates

June '00-7th grade-17 when graduates

June '03-4th grade-17 when graduates

The last 2 are boys and I am seriously thinking about holding them back a year so they are 18 when they graduate. Neither is very strong in academics or maturity and I think the extra year would be good for them. I will make the decision before declaring them to be high school level. Most of their friends are just a couple of months younger than them and are a grade younger.

Joy

Diamond: May birthday- will be just days past her 18th birthday when she graduates.

SweetChild- late November birthday- will be 17.5 at graduation. 12 years old, currently in 8th grade.

BabyBaby- mid-December birthday- will be 17.5 at graduation. 10 years old, currently in 6th grade.

I started SweetChild & BabyBaby "early" by public school standards- they have had no trouble keeping up, although both were late readers, and one took a long time for fine motor skills (writing) to smooth out.... Part of the reason I started them early was to escape a bad age-gap at church.... they were the only "big kid" in their group- 2-year age-span, and the rest were all clumped together at the bottom end, and it was a nightmare for them- but there was a 6-month gap between my kids and the next older group- so they were truly alone in the middle. Bumping them into Kindergarten was the only way to get them out. Looking back, and now being at another church, I might not have done it for those reasons, but it has worked well enough that I felt no need to make adjustments. Both of my younger girls have tended to do better as the youngest in a group rather than the oldest- as the oldest they often got frustrated waiting for everyone to catch up- or worse, being "helpers" in the class and getting nothing out of it.:glare:

My daughter 2/01 is 7th grade (2018). The boys 9/04, are 3rd (2022?).

My daughter started doing K in 2005, when she was 4, though. She would not have been eligible to start ps K until '06. We are actually planning to accelerate her and start HS by 12/13, so she should graduate by 12/16, at which time she will still be 15.

We'll do the same with the boys when they're a bit older, after we get the basics down. (Holden just realized he can read today... I don't know why/how he didn't know this already - the rest of us did - but he seems pleased with the discovery.)

May 2005: Grade 2

January 2008: PreK

The local private school where we would send the boys if we ever stopped homeschooling has an unofficial cutoff of June, especially for boys, so I am seriously considering holding my August 2010 birthday son back a year, regardless of how tall/short/advanced/behind he happens to be.

Edited by JennyD

This can get complicated, can't it? My oldest DD will be 10 in October and would be in 5th grade at our local school. However, the deadline has changed several times over the last five years, also it varies from city to city here in Phoenix. I started kindy with her when she was four almost five because at that time the deadline was 5 by Dec. 31 and all of her friends were starting (plus she seemed ready to start reading, etc.). Over in Mesa, the next town over, the deadline is different. So last year when she attended a public once a week enrichment program there, she was put a grade behind where I have her. None of this really matters to me, though, because we move at our own pace.

My son has an uncomplicated February birthday. He's 7 in second grade.

My next DD has another October birthday, and the second time around I think I'll wait longer before pushing anything formal with her.

Yes, February is so much more uncomplicated, isn't it? ;) My DS is also a February baby - he's 6, in 1st grade. He was an "old" K'er. DD was a "young" K'er. She was ready for it, though. It's the damage that has been done in PS since then re: reading and math (Everyday Math) that has me contemplating putting 4th on her paperwork when we file with the state.

Girl, October 2002, 5th. Will be 17 yrs. 7 or 8 mos. at graduation. She may do a "gap" year between H.S. and college depending on maturity.

Boy, November 2005, 1st after taking a "transition" year between K & 1. Will be 18 yrs. 6 or 7 mos. at graduation.

I don't regret starting either of my children in K at not-quite-5 because they were reading. My oldest was ready to move on to 1st at not-quite-6 while my second wasn't. I think it is fairly typical for girls to be more mature at any given age than boys.

Oldest ds graduated at 18. November, 1993 birthday

Youngest ds will graduate at 19. March, 1997 birthday. He is being red shirted. Some due to athletics, but mostly due to his not being ready to process the information needed in the higher grades accompanied with his desire to attend a service academy.

DD will graduate at 18. April, 2001 birthday.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have homeschooled from the beginning. :glare:

I remember being so frustrated with the way they were doing things when she was learning to read and trying to help her learn "the right way" (phonics - but only what I could remember from my own elementary years) at home, but I was seriously and completely unaware of homeschooling and the variety of curricula available. I feel like I lived in a cave.

Then, I got so frustrated with different aspects of school throughout. When DD started bringing home Everyday Math - that is when I abolished homework at our house...and yet, I was STILL unaware that homeschooling was even an option.

Finally, in 3rd grade, DD had a classmate pulled from class at Christmas time to homeschool. She asked if she could homeschool, too. At that time, I said no. A year later, at Christmas time, I was pulling her and DS out.

Oldest was October 15. "Held back", 18 at graduation

Middle was April 9. 18 at graduation.

Youngest was October 21. "pushed ahead", 17 at graduation.

Look at your county's cut-off date. When oldest started school, the cut off was October 16! Then they moved it back and now it's August 31.

November 2004, 3rd grade (grade skipped in PS-the cutoff here is officially September 30), will be 17 1/2 at graduation unless she graduates early (a distinct possibility-although right now she's saying she wants to finish high school at home by age 14, then go to high school and be on the dance team, so she can focus JUST on dancing-she's heard the girls who do high school dance team complain about the work involved :) ).

Edited by dmmetler

Don't feel like doing the math to figure out graduation ages, but typical - late 17 - 18.

DS - 6/2003, 4th grade. In retrospect, probably would have redshirted, though I think he'll do fine in the long run

DD1 - 9/2006, 1st grade

DD2 - 10/2010 - Will officially start K a month before she turns 6.

ds 11, Jan 24 2001, 6th- will be 18

ds 9, Jan 13, 2001, 4th- will be 18

ds 8, Sept 7, 2004 (Today!), 3rd- will be 17

I was in a quandary when I started school with the youngest. The cut off in the state we were in at the time was a week after his birthday, so technically I could have held him back a year. It really wouldn't have mattered except for where he would be placed in Sunday School. He told me that he didn't want to be in preschool anymore, and that he wanted to be in K. He did very well, and neither of us regret the decision. I am hoping that he continues to be as level headed then, as he is now.:lol:

7/ 2004 - 2nd Grade- ds-just turned 8 when we started 2nd- he could be a grade ahead as he is 2 days ahead of the deadline. At home we work at whatever level needed, obviously. In public activities I classify him as 2nd as that puts him with his same aged peers, as is typical in our area for boys with even earlier b-days to be "held back".

4/2007- K- dd

11 years old, born April 2001, 6th grade.

9 years old, born October 2002, 4th/5th grade, moving to 6th grade next year.

My younger daughter was ready for school younger than her school would allow her. She missed the cut off by a couple months, but she was perfectly capable of being in a classroom environment, very cooperative and quiet but not shy. Except for doing her work a bit slowly (perfectionist), she is one of those ideal students. We asked for her to start preK a year early and they said she could but they would make her repeat preK the next year so she would be five when she entered K. This was a child who was already reading simple words at age 3. She was ready emotionally and academically but she has a low tolerance for being asked to repeatedly do something she knows perfectly well how to do. Having her do the same grade two years in a row would have been a big mistake and I'm glad we didn't do it.

At this point, she does most of the same work her sister does except in math. But math is her strength and I expect her to be well through if not completely through Singapore 5B by the end of this school year. Next year or the year after, she will pass her sister in math. Her writing is a little weaker, but still on track. She writes more slowly but when she gets it done, it's well written. Grade levels are fuzzy as homeschoolers, but after discussing it, we wanted to give her the opportunity to graduate early because we felt she could handle the work and if we had had our way from the start, she'd be a grade "ahead" anyway.

ETA: Older daughter will graduate shortly after she turns 18. Younger daughter will graduate at 17 and 1/2.

DD is 5/00 and in 7th grade (thanks to HS she stayed on track as she was about to be held back in PS) will just turn 18 by graduation

DS 1 and 2 are 5/04 and in 3rd grade academically they are all over the board though being slightly advanced for beginning 3rd in math, but probably behind a lot of peers in reading confidence. If we could pick up reading a bit better, there is a chance they could accelerate and graduate early but otherwise it will be 18 for them

Littlest one is 4/06 and is labeled 1st on paperwork but academically a Ker. I am hoping all those little fireworks that have started going off in his brain keeps on going and he can catch up to his same aged peers. He will probably be 18 at graduation

16 yo - born in March - 11th grade

14 yo - born in April - 9th grade (maybe 10th or 11th, we'll see when we decide to graduate her)

10 yo - born in late June - 4th - he's redshirted

They will all be 18 yo when they graduate (unless dd graduates early.)

My dc do a lot of outside activities and classes, so grade level does matter, even though we just do what they need at home. I put them where they fit with their age.

In our circle, redshirting is very common back into May even.

ds 14, born August 1998, 9th grade, will graduate at 17

dsd 13, born March 1999, 8th grade, will graduate at 18

dd 12, born January 2000, 7th grade, will graduate at 18

dss 9, born January 2003, 4th grade, will graduate at 18

ds 8, born August 2004, 3rd grade, will graduate at 17

dss 7, born January 2005, 2nd grade, will graduate at 18

I intended to "red-shirt" my 8 year old, and held him out of school the year he was five. He was in speech therapy and just seemed very, very young for five. That was the year I started homeschooling my oldest, so I started working with him a little after Christmas. By September, he was definitely ready for first grade and has been on track since then.

DD is 7, born 6/05 and is a young 2nd grader, will be 17 at graduation and turn 18 a few weeks later.

Ds is 5, born 6/07 and is PreK. We redshirted him at church (the only place we have formal structure that is school grade dependent). We are doing some very gentle K things at home and he tags along for all the fun stuff, but he is not ready for a more formal Kindy yet. Almost all the boys with birthdays May and later are redshirted here. He will be 18, almost 19 at graduation.