Menu

RANT: People are disgusting...

Or why selling a house is the pits.

We went out of town for a few days and got in late last night. We had one showing while we were away and sitting at the airport gate, dh and I read the feedback email. I was mildly bothered by the comments.

First, our home was "average." I know it's silly to be irritated, but we've never received anything other than "well-kept and clean." Dh and I saved for many years to have a nice home, and things, and I work hard to keep our home neat and clutter-free. Buyers can look in our closets, open our cabinets, and although I hope they wouldn't, browse our dresser drawers. Having bought and sold homes before, I can think of few homes that were as neat as ours. I know our style may not be to everyone's taste, but please do not call my home average!

Second, this was a realtor walkthrough; no buyers were present. I understand some realtors might pre-screen homes for buyers, but we have 25+ pictures on our listing. Having worked with a variety of realtors, we've never found a realtor who can accurately gauge our preferences. Talking with other homebuyers, this is not an uncommon problem. Had we known only the realtor was showing up, we would have refused the showing.

Finally, the last comment said, "The homeowners appear to be out of town as there is newspaper in the driveway." Now, I would not think ONE newspaper would mean the homeowners are out of town. It wasn't until late last night that we understood the comment.

The realtor had p**ped in our master bathroom.

Since we turned off the water, she couldn't flush the toilet. She obviously couldn't wash her hands. She left her present in the bathroom for us to find two days later! And it was smeared all over the seat and toilet back. Exhausted, nauseated, and 15 weeks pregnant, I was bleaching and sterilizing my toilet at 11:15 last night. I walked through our home wiping down door handles and light switches, ranting and raving the whole time.

Who does this? I've taken potty-training toddlers home shopping and I've never used a prospective home's bathroom. Even if the house has furniture in it, you can't know the homeowners are in the area. We are five minutes from a major shopping area; you must drive through the shopping center to get to our neighborhood. Don't use my home as your personal rest stop!

If I didn't think it would scare the h*ck out of my kids, I would scream in frustration...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we turned off the water, she couldn't flush the toilet. She obviously couldn't wash her hands. She left her present in the bathroom for us to find two days later! And it was smeared all over the seat and toilet back.

How do people do this? I always wonder how people can miss the bowl. It's so huge!

Sorry you had to deal with that. I would have been extremely upset too. :grouphug:

You should have taken pictures, e-mailed them to the realty house of the walk through agent and your agent and told them that you wanted an apology.

You should even NOW be on the phone with your realtor, and tell them you want an answer back from the walk through realtor's company that this person has at the least been reprimanded.

Too bad you didn't take pictures. I am sorry, that is vandalism as far as I'm concerned, and that realtor should be fired.

I feel for you and how you found your house late at night, tired and getting home from a trip.

So sorry you have to come home to this!!

I also sort of feel for the realtor, ---perhaps an emergency??? Boy -- then not being able to flush???I would be devastated. Sort of funny thinking of that person trying to figure out what to do. (I would have gotten a bucket and filled it somewhere else and flushed it later!!)

Lara

Too bad you didn't take pictures. I am sorry, that is vandalism as far as I'm concerned, and that realtor should be fired.

I didn't even think to take pictures! I was so grossed out, I just wanted it gone. It was one of those things that I noticed a bad smell, lifted the lid, and immediately started gagging. I just reacted. Gah! I'm mentally kicking myself right now.

I think smearing is unacceptable.

But turning off water for a walk-through? Expecting that no one would use a bathroom? As people turn older, they need to use facilities more often. Also, many people with some illnesses need to use facilities more often. I wouldn't have turned off the water at my house. It isn't winter and the pipes aren't freezing.

wow, I would def be screaming. We don't allow showings when we are out of town, too many things could happen. Front door could be left unlocked, cats could be shut up in closed rooms, etc.

I would never use a bathroom while looking at a house. You are right you can never be absolutely sure if people are still living in the house or not and why dirty up someone's bathroom.

According to Kalanamak, it's not an accident, it's a "tendency." IYKWIM.

ETA: Maybe a better word is "compulsion."

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying some people poop on toilet seats by compulsion?

That would explain the toilets at Target* or public parks.

Wow.

*In Target's defense they are pretty good at staying on top of bathroom disasters.

Well, I can see needing to use the restroom perhaps but if I discovered the toilet was not flushing I would have brought a water bucket in and flushed it myself and then sanitized it. I cannot imagine anyone leaving it like that. As a pp said the only reasonable thought is someone's small child but still yet I'd except the realtor to do a walk through.

That is disgusting, but why did you turn off the water if you knew there was going to be a showing? I would never have thought the water would be turned off, and then once the deed was done, the only way to fix it would be to go get a bucket of water from somewhere else, or turn on your water.

But turning off water for a walk-through? Expecting that no one would use a bathroom? As people turn older, they need to use facilities more often. Also, many people with some illnesses need to use facilities more often. I wouldn't have turned off the water at my house. It isn't winter and the pipes aren't freezing.

We always turn off our water when we're out of town for a few days. In addition to something we've always done, I've read several articles that advise turning off your water when away on vacation. Water tubes get old and appliances can leak. A family member had a dishwasher that leaked water all over his hardwood floors even though it wasn't running.

That is horrid. I'd be calling and sending letters. I think I'd break my contract with my current Realtor and find one more professional than to leave something like that behind.

The showing Realtor has a responsibility to leave the homeowners house the way it was found after a showing. She/He should have double checked for lights and cleanliness. Apparently she/he let the person looking at the house have free reign.

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying some people poop on toilet seats by compulsion?

That would explain the toilets at Target* or public parks.

Wow.

*In Target's defense they are pretty good at staying on top of bathroom disasters.

I can't even bring myself to type it out. It came up in this thread a little while ago.

I need to go scrub down my bathroom now.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

I've never heard of people shutting off their water for a short vacation. I didn't even realize you could do that. Its likely that the newspaper had nothing to do with the 'must have been gone a long time' comment...the bathroom did, so probably the intention on leaving you a big mess was not premeditated.

Having IBS, I can conceive of times when you can't control your output. Sometimes its just there and the closest bathroom is a necessity. People with IBS also have looser stools. Then when it didn't flush the panic and making a bigger mess by trying to unclog what doesn't need unclogging. How horrifying.

That's where my empathy stops. While it would be horrifying to admit to such a huge mess I would brief the showing realtor, find a bucket, go to a neighbor for water, get some baby wipes out of the car...anything. Panic is a weird thing though. Panic can make people walk away because it seems hopeless...when even a note would be helpful. Since he/she don't have to see you it might be easier to walk away. Not nice--just easier.

Edited by LostSurprise

I don't think it's strange that the realtor used the toilet, nor would I expect anyone to turn off water when they're only gone for a few days (that's definitely not typical). But there was no reason to make a big mess and then not at least try to flush it with a bucket of water and clean up.

:grouphug:

I am sorry you had to deal with that.

Know that you are not alone. We have had that happen as well.

Our house is listed and have we have moved out of state. The water was turned off, but electricity was left on.

We posted notes across the toilets in the house (x4) that water was off and "do not use".

Do they listen? Read? Not care? :confused: I don't know, but one was used. A friend and neighbor who is watching the house for us and emptying the dehumidifier was cleaning them for us last week. She had to carry a bucket of water in to do it.

Why are some people so thoughtless (one who used) while others are so thoughtful (friend!)?? Question of the day.

According to Kalanamak, it's not an accident, it's a "tendency." IYKWIM.

ETA: Maybe a better word is "compulsion."

When my water has been turned off, I can still flush once because water is in the tank. The tank can't fill for the next flush, but it sounds to me like whoever used the toilet didn't try to flush. A normal person doesn't leave feces all over the place.

It is a bit puzzling why the water was turned off, though. I think most prospective owners turn on the taps. People expect there to be running water. So if you knew someone was coming, it would have been better to leave it on, I think.

Yes, I agree that there should have been running water if you expected someone to be in your home. You should also have left notes around, as someone else said.

However, the person responsible for the mess should have left a note apologizing, and she certainly should have tried to clean it up.

Bad communication all around. I would just let it go.

As far as the realtor criticizing your house, I actually *hate* seeing the comments left by prospective buyers who have toured my house. It's hurtful to see that my house isn't right for someone, or that they don't like the colors, or something else. I realize that they're just being truthful (and I've said worse things about homes I've toured), but it still hurts. Thankfully, we got a contract three days after we put it on the market, so I know that someone really likes it, but the house is still being shown, and we're still getting comments (frown).

:confused: What would the charges be? That seems like quite an over reaction.

Vandalism. I would not expect much to come of it, but at least something could be on file.

I would feel so violated if something like this happened to me.

You should have taken pictures, e-mailed them to the realty house of the walk through agent and your agent and told them that you wanted an apology.

You should even NOW be on the phone with your realtor, and tell them you want an answer back from the walk through realtor's company that this person has at the least been reprimanded.

:iagree: if it was an accident, the realtor should have attempted to clean it up.

I would call the office that realtor is with and complain about the bathroom thing. That's inexcusable.

Yep. I own a real estate company and I would want to know. Your realtor needs to know, too. This actually goes beyond just professionalism and enters into crazy. I don't do realtor previews, they're silly. Rarely do I find a house for someone who buys exactly what they started out looking for in the beginning. This realtor needs a complaint, you'll be doing someone a favor in the future and I bet someone at his office has to clean up after him, too!

Yes, one can shut off one's water at the main at any time.

We currently have a dripping facet in the bathroom. To fix it we have to take out the wall and do major repairs. :glare: So if we are every going to be gone for a day or more we turn it off. We also sometimes turn it off before bed.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I've never heard of people shutting off their water for a short vacation. I didn't even realize you could do that.

We always shut off our water and turn off the hot water heater even for overnight trips. 18 years ago, the out flowing pipe from the hot water heater busted at a connection point. We came back to a flooded house. Since then, we have turned off the circuit breakers to the water and hot water tank every time we go on vacation or small trips.

:iagree:I think what happened is beyond gross... But I would assume people will use the bathroom when coming through the house, especially if they are there a while.

Why didn't she just turn the water back on? If the house is open for showing, I'm assuming that part of the house where the main valve is located is accessible. Our's sitting just right outside the house.

I'm so sorry you went through this. :grouphug:

On the other hand, ours is INSIDE the house, down in the basement in a very out-of-the way spot in a false wall -- it would be hard to find if you didn't know where to look. The location of the valve varies in houses. In our last house it was in the crawl space -- the house had a half basement, but to get to the shut off you had to crawl up into the crawl space a ways to get to it (which struck me as a really bizarre place to put it).

Ah, okay. I was wondering why my yard sale phantom pooper story popped back up.

Sorry OP. I was plenty grossed out at first, but once the term smearer (thanks, Kal ;)) was brought up I had the violated feeling. Totally stinks, right (pun intended)? So much worse if you are pregnant. :grouphug:

I think it's fine to shut your water off if going out of town. I just don't think it should be done if you know someone will be visiting your home while you're gone. At the very least, notes should have been left in the bathrooms.

:iagree:

Even aside from poop emergencies, someone may need to wash their hands or something like that.

We went out of town for a few days and got in late last night. We had one showing while we were away and sitting at the airport gate, dh and I read the feedback email. I was mildly bothered by the comments.

First, our home was "average." I know it's silly to be irritated, but we've never received anything other than "well-kept and clean." Dh and I saved for many years to have a nice home, and things, and I work hard to keep our home neat and clutter-free. Buyers can look in our closets, open our cabinets, and although I hope they wouldn't, browse our dresser drawers. Having bought and sold homes before, I can think of few homes that were as neat as ours. I know our style may not be to everyone's taste, but please do not call my home average!

Second, this was a realtor walkthrough; no buyers were present. I understand some realtors might pre-screen homes for buyers, but we have 25+ pictures on our listing. Having worked with a variety of realtors, we've never found a realtor who can accurately gauge our preferences. Talking with other homebuyers, this is not an uncommon problem. Had we known only the realtor was showing up, we would have refused the showing.

Finally, the last comment said, "The homeowners appear to be out of town as there is newspaper in the driveway." Now, I would not think ONE newspaper would mean the homeowners are out of town. It wasn't until late last night that we understood the comment.

Since we turned off the water, she couldn't flush the toilet. She obviously couldn't wash her hands. She left her present in the bathroom for us to find two days later! And it was smeared all over the seat and toilet back. Exhausted, nauseated, and 15 weeks pregnant, I was bleaching and sterilizing my toilet at 11:15 last night. I walked through our home wiping down door handles and light switches, ranting and raving the whole time.

Who does this? I've taken potty-training toddlers home shopping and I've never used a prospective home's bathroom. Even if the house has furniture in it, you can't know the homeowners are in the area. We are five minutes from a major shopping area; you must drive through the shopping center to get to our neighborhood. Don't use my home as your personal rest stop!

If I didn't think it would scare the h*ck out of my kids, I would scream in frustration...

At least you know exactly who it was. I'd call that realtor office, talk to the head hancho and complain the heck out! :auto:

I would be totally ticked off and calling the office first thing in the morning. Good glory people are gross and rude.

That would be quite a disgusting surprise. I would not be happy about coming home to that.

But...

Filing a police report? Vandalism? Getting fired? It was poop. In/on/around the toilet.

It should have been cleaned-up by the pooper but - Im not feeling the horror.

Guest submarines
I feel for you and how you found your house late at night, tired and getting home from a trip.

So sorry you have to come home to this!!

I also sort of feel for the realtor, ---perhaps an emergency??? Boy -- then not being able to flush???I would be devastated. Sort of funny thinking of that person trying to figure out what to do. (I would have gotten a bucket and filled it somewhere else and flushed it later!!)

Lara

:iagree:I can understand having an emergency, but not cleaning up is inexcuseable! She could've gotten a bucket of water and Lysol wipes and cleaned it up! How disgusting. You should complain!

Guest submarines
I wonder if she brought a young child to the open house with her, and she didn't supervise him when he went to the bathroom? Normal adults don't sully up bathrooms that way.

That could be it. But even then, she must have discovered the mess before leaving? I can't imagine my children, at any age, not telling me the toilet didn't flush. :confused:

Recently we were house-hunting. There was a time when my daughter (teen) really had to use the bathroom. The owners were not present at the house, but our realtor was. In our minds, using the toilets in the house wasn't an option. It just seemed like a violation. We were "invited" to view the home, but to us, we weren't invited to fully make ourselves at home. We quickly finished the walk-thru and went to the nearest public facility.

I would not be pleased.