Menu

U.S. gymnast's parents react to her routine

Have you seen this video of Aly Raisman's parents reacting to her bar routine? (Warning, the video is fine but the comments are not kid-friendly.) *

:lol::lol::lol:

I totally understand, though. I probably look just as crazy watching one of my kids perform in a little local thing. I can't imagine what I would look like watching one of my kids compete in the Olympics!

*ETA: I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on what I meant by the "not kid-friendly" comments. The video (and audio) is totally fine! I just meant if you scroll down you might see some colorful language in the comments below the video.

Edited by Element

Have you seen this video of Aly Raisman's parents reacting to her bar routine? (Warning, the video is fine but the comments are not kid-friendly.)

:lol::lol::lol:

I totally understand, though. I probably look just as crazy watching one of my kids perform in a little local thing. I can't imagine what I would look like watching one of my kids compete in the Olympics!

(Sorry if this was already posted.)

:lol: That's how I look when I try to play video games.

I actually wondered if the mom had some sort of condition. I'm amazed that the people around her weren't staring. We saw that when it played on NBC, and my daughter said "What is wrong with her mom?" She kept asking through the performance, she was convinced the mom was ill. I thought the dad's reactions were a bit more in line with what I might expect of myself. I can see the extreme anxiousness, and his scream at the end is hilarious.

I saw it on TV last night and absolutely loved it. I thought is was a priceless reaction in what was a very exciting and very stressful moments. I hold my breath sometimes in dd's competitions on difficult moves. Already the moves scare me and I cannot imagine what Ali's parents were experiencing in that moment. Obviously they are involved parents who care and were proud of her. Love it! It really did make me chuckle though! :lol:

I saw it on TV last night and absolutely loved it. I thought is was a priceless reaction in what was a very exciting and very stressful moments. I hold my breath sometimes in dd's competitions on difficult moves. Already the moves scare me and I cannot imagine what Ali's parents were experiencing in that moment. Obviously they are involved parents who care and were proud of her. Love it! It really did make me chuckle though! :lol:

:iagree:I would probably be doing the same thing!

I actually wondered if the mom had some sort of condition. I'm amazed that the people around her weren't staring. We saw that when it played on NBC, and my daughter said "What is wrong with her mom?" She kept asking through the performance, she was convinced the mom was ill. I thought the dad's reactions were a bit more in line with what I might expect of myself. I can see the extreme anxiousness, and his scream at the end is hilarious.

Same here! It looked like she had Tourette's.

why wasn't it kid friendly? I didn't hear them say or do anything offensive

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on that. The video (and audio) is totally fine! I just meant if you scroll down you might see some colorful language in the comments below the video.

:iagree: I think some of it had to do with awkward camera angles too. But I felt sort of bad and irritated on behalf of the people sitting around them. Maybe they were all gym parents and understood though.

Looks like me when I watch my kids sports, particularily when dd was in allstar cheer. :lol:

I am worse with video games, ds laughs at me, because I talk to the characters, scream, have my body and arms going every way (think racing game and driving, lol).

That momma deserves her own Tide commercial. I am horrible when watching my oldest play soccer. He is the goal keeper, and I always want to yell, "It's coming to your end of the field. Pay attention!" I don't, well, at least not so anyone else can hear me...

:lol: I thought so too!

:lol: That's how I look when I try to play video games.

:lol::lol: Do you move the non motion controlled controller up when you jump as well?

I wondered that too, I thought I was the only one who thought that way so I kept it to myself.

I feel bad for her that the video has gone viral. We also thought something was wrong with her at first, but made more sense when we considered the apparatus her daughter was using.

Those gymnasts have to have a great deal of passion and determination, which this gymnast clearly got from her mom. I get stressed over Little League, I can't imagine the stress for parents at this level of competition. Glad my kids aren't very coordinated! :lol:

I felt so bad for her. To be one of the best in the world, to post decent scores, but not be able to compete. It made me sad that lesser gymnasts will be competing solely because they are not on a team with the depth of the US team.

:iagree: It was a tough break for her. But I also was a little irritated that the coverage really downplayed the fact that TWO other girls had won spots and focused instead on the disappointment of the media sweetheart. I know they went on to interview them later, but even then, JW was in the background wiping her eyes while they interviewed one of them.

It appeared to me that they knew they were being taped. She was mic'd and afterward, he looked right at the camera. If I had a mic on me I'd be obligated to put in a good performance too. :D

(NOT that they weren't nervous and much of their reaction wasn't normal; but she probably made sure to react out loud a little bit because of the mic.)

:iagree:

I thought to myself..."maybe she has Parkinson's or something!". After I realized that was not the case I thought "maybe she's just uptight!".

I haven't read all the replies but I am sure the Mom and Dad were very familiar with her routine and felt that they were "doing it with her" in some way. We were watching it live and the announcer said something as well. I can relate, when you are so involved with your kids and I am sure that going to the Olympics and knowing she was competing for 1 of 2 spots was quite intense.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone see poor Jordyn Wieber's reaction to not making the all around? :( My heart was breaking for her.

Yes, I felt really bad for her, too. :(

:iagree: It was a tough break for her. But I also was a little irritated that the coverage really downplayed the fact that TWO other girls had won spots and focused instead on the disappointment of the media sweetheart. I know they went on to interview them later, but even then, JW was in the background wiping her eyes while they interviewed one of them.

See, I felt the opposite. I felt bad for her that she was standing there obviously heartbroken, while they interviewed girls RIGHT BESIDE her and they were saying "oh, it's a dream come true." I thought "Why can't they usher her off before these other girls revel in making the team?"

Am I the only one wondering how Gabby made the cut after she ran right off the mat? Did the other girl just make a bunch of more small mistakes that added up to more than that one glaring error? When she flubbed that I was thinking oh she's out.

I haven't been following any of them before the Olympics, I didn't realize Jordan was a media sweetheart.

As the mom of a gymnast, though not one near that level, I watched that last night and did not even give it a second thought. It seemed completely normal to me. I get so nervous watching my daughter compete for far-lesser stakes that I can barely write down her score afterwards: my handwriting is nothing like my normal handwriting and is barely legible because I can NOT make my hands stop shaking.

None of us has any idea how we would act if it were our kid out there in those circumstances, but I thought her reactions were cute and refreshingly unscripted. I love the focus on the moms in NBC's coverage and in the P&G ads that are running and hope the bizarre reactions to Mrs. Raisman (didn't someone suggest that she has Parkinson's? Really?) do not discourage either NBC or the moms from participating.

Terri

Yes, I felt really bad for her, too. :(

See, I felt the opposite. I felt bad for her that she was standing there obviously heartbroken, while they interviewed girls RIGHT BESIDE her and they were saying "oh, it's a dream come true." I thought "Why can't they usher her off before these other girls revel in making the team?"

Am I the only one wondering how Gabby made the cut after she ran right off the mat? Did the other girl just make a bunch of more small mistakes that added up to more than that one glaring error? When she flubbed that I was thinking oh she's out.

I haven't been following any of them before the Olympics, I didn't realize Jordan was a media sweetheart.

I was a little surprised by that as well. Gabby's mistake on floor seemed much worse but at the end of the show they replayed all of Jordyn's events and it seemed that she made small errors in many of them. They seemed to think her score was still low but if Gabby didn't make the same small mistakes, then maybe it just worked out that in the end she scored higher. They were all excellent and I enjoyed watching them all.