Menu

Cooking from scratch

Most things I cook from scratch end up being cheaper because I am able to make more, which means leftovers for another meal.

Red sauce

Pizza

Chicken nuggets

Beans & Rice

Mac n Cheese

Chili

These are just a few. I've figured out that most things are cheaper if I make it completely myself. It also makes me happy to know it's healthier.

Most things I cook from scratch end up being cheaper because I am able to make more, which means leftovers for another meal.

:iagree:Also, I can grow some of it, which makes it even cheaper yet. When I sat down and broke down cost per meal, There were only a few meals (mostly fish meals) that cost more to make from scratch.

You'll probably be hearing from several views on this one. You'll hear about nutrition, and about a million other concerns about diet...

I personally don't know of anything that doesn't if that makes sense.

Tonight we had black eye pea soup, 7 quarts only cost about 1.20 to make.

If I saw that price in a store already made...I wouldn't buy it because I'd think there was something wrong with it...

What sort of recipes are you working with that are more expensive by scratch than homemade?

We make almost everything from scratch, and it is cheaper and healthier than packaged foods.

I purchase meat on sale and produce on sale or in bulk.

I do buy some breads, all jellies and jams, and fried chicken at the store.

I purchase whole sirloin tips when they go on sale and have them cut into stew meat, a roast, and ground beef.

I agree with all the other posters. Just about everything is cheaper home cooked from scratch. I just made 50 plus bean and cheese burritos for the freezer (really easy to grab and throw in the toaster oven). I soak dry beans, slow cook them in a crock pot with onions and bacon, then mash them but not fully. Best tasting refried beans without actually being refried. I buy bulk Costco tortillas and cheddar (grated w/my food processor). Total cost around $11 for 50 really big and plump burritos. So, around twenty two cents a burrito and they are three times the size of Taco Bell ones. I do this once a month. Some times for variety I'll make make some with taco flavored hamburger, homemade Spanish rice, and add some mango salsa. This will bump the cost up to around sixty cents, but these are big buggers. One is plenty for a meal.

I can remember when we were first married, we had a very limited budget and trying to get stocked up on *everything* all at once was challenging. We had to pick at it, a few things a week, and just stick to recipes that used what we had. But after awhile momentum kicks in and you're only replacing a few things each time.

Baked goods are usually a huge savings. Price spaghetti sauce vs. a can of tomato paste, bulk pasta vs. packaged mac and cheese, bulk rice vs. instant rice side dishes, etc.

You'll probably be hearing from several views on this one. You'll hear about nutrition, and about a million other concerns about diet...

I personally don't know of anything that doesn't if that makes sense.

Tonight we had black eye pea soup, 7 quarts only cost about 1.20 to make.

If I saw that price in a store already made...I wouldn't buy it because I'd think there was something wrong with it...

What sort of recipes are you working with that are more expensive by scratch than homemade?

:iagree: What are you price comparing? A few things off the top of my head:

gf/grain free baked goods

tomato soup

refried beans

pinto/kidney/chickpeas from dry

spice mixes

gf pizza

trail mix

If your time involved is little, you can really save on scratch cooking things like:

Granolas and cereal blends

"Artisan" no-knead breads

birthday cakes

huge pots of chili and spag sauce to freeze in portions

ground turkey/pork sausages (esp. when those huge turkeys go on sale after holidays), again, for the freezer.

hummus

"food processor" stir-fry a.k.a. the "fine green mist" per 13 yo ds :)

I find that the only time cooking stuff yourself is more expensive is if you choose organic and/or luxury ingredients to replace the standard ones.

Eg we make our own pizzas and they do turn out more expensive because we use things like free range ham, sun dried tomatoes etc.

Unless you mean the radical kind of cooking from scratch where you have to buy special equipment to mill your own flour or make your own sausages?

We eat tons of dried beans. They are really cheap! I make bean soup, bean patties, mix beans with brown rice, put them in tortillas, puree them into dips, etc. They are a great source of protein, are very filling, super healthy and help with regularity. You can really jazz them up with spices and a little shredded cheese.:)

The key is to compare ingredients. I can find bread in the store that is cheaper than my homemade bread, but it is not the equivalent of the bread I make at home. I can make whole grain, fresh bread for the same cost as the cheapest, mass-produced white bread at the local store. I would pay $5 for the actual equivalent of the bread I make at a bakery.

I can go to Aldi and buy lots and lots of cheap things, but the quality and nutritional value of what I buy will be very poor. The key for me is that I can make incredibly great food with high nutritional value for the same cost or lower cost than shopping for packaged products at Aldi.

What things that you cook from scratch actually save you money? I haven't looked into it but it seems like it would end up being more expensive to buy all ingredients for items...

Are you including health-care costs? Because eating fresh foods, with lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains, can have significant health benefits. And health care ain't cheap.

"From scratch" can simply mean a meal of sauteed veggies over brown rice, with the protein of your choice (beans, shrimp, chicken). Simple.

Whole grains are more expensive than white, but healthier AND more filling. Cutting out sodas and juices and drinking tap water is much cheaper, leaving more room in the budget for fresh veggies and fruit. Packaged foods may at first appear cheaper, but don't fill you as well. Compare that homemade mac-and-cheese to the box. Mine has onion, garlic, turnip, celery, whole grain pasta, and from-scratch sauce, with panko breadcrumbs on top. It's FILLING, in a hearty way that the box mixes just aren't. A box is cheaper initially, but it doesn't go very far at all. A pan of my mac-and-cheese will feed a crowd, or feed a family two hearty meals.

biscuits

cornbread

pancakes

pizza

homemade rolls

all sweets (cookies, pies, cakes, etc.)

fried chicken, fish, etc.

I cook pretty much everything from scratch. My family loves it, and I KNOW it is way cheaper than buying the expensive brands that taste good.

I like that with basic ingredients, I can make plenty of different items.

I just made 50 plus bean and cheese burritos for the freezer (really easy to grab and throw in the toaster oven). I soak dry beans, slow cook them in a crock pot with onions and bacon, then mash them but not fully. Best tasting refried beans without actually being refried. I buy bulk Costco tortillas and cheddar (grated w/my food processor). Total cost around $11 for 50 really big and plump burritos. So, around twenty two cents a burrito and they are three times the size of Taco Bell ones. I do this once a month. Some times for variety I'll make make some with taco flavored hamburger, homemade Spanish rice, and add some mango salsa. This will bump the cost up to around sixty cents, but these are big buggers. One is plenty for a meal.

Thanks for the great idea!

I agree with all the other posters. Just about everything is cheaper home cooked from scratch. I just made 50 plus bean and cheese burritos for the freezer (really easy to grab and throw in the toaster oven). I soak dry beans, slow cook them in a crock pot with onions and bacon, then mash them but not fully. Best tasting refried beans without actually being refried. I buy bulk Costco tortillas and cheddar (grated w/my food processor). Total cost around $11 for 50 really big and plump burritos. So, around twenty two cents a burrito and they are three times the size of Taco Bell ones. I do this once a month. Some times for variety I'll make make some with taco flavored hamburger, homemade Spanish rice, and add some mango salsa. This will bump the cost up to around sixty cents, but these are big buggers. One is plenty for a meal.

That is a good idea I need to do something like this for dh on those mornings he wants a bite to eat.

This is a great idea! Thanks for describing how you do it.

I make chicken taquitos that way. I can make about 75 with one whole chicken. They freeze really well and are easy to heat up.

cooking from scratch is cheaper and it's healthier becasue it's not full of "artificial this" and "artificial that". It's not loaded with sugar (as many processed foods are).

just one thing that's way cheaper - I make my own spaghetti sauce. I don't use a spice packet, we have spices that are used for many things.

I love homemade mac and cheese. But you are right, it is much more expensive!

But it's not even the same thing! To the cheap box of macaroni & POWDER you have to add your own milk & butter to reconstitute the POWDER into something resembling cheese.

The only thing I can think of that might be more expensive from scratch is ice cream. By the time I add up the cream & eggs, plus all the extras that go in it - it's probably at least as much as store-bought. But we love it anyway. :)

I make chicken taquitos that way. I can make about 75 with one whole chicken. They freeze really well and are easy to heat up.

We love chicken taquitos!!! How do you make them to freeze?

My dd doesn't like 'breakfast food' for breakfast and I don't always have leftovers for her.

Thanks.

Okay, I'll say it. Either you pay for nutrient dense healthy foods now or you pay the doctor later.

Most nutrient dense healthy foods will require scratch cooking.

Then there is that :) I think if you want to make homemade processed food you can still yet often save over storebought, if your making homemade whole foods you nearly always save. However, with the caveat that of course you compare apples to apples and you price shop for ingredients and bulk buying really helps.

Most things are cheaper but not all. Regular pizza I don't find to be cheaper because mozzarella is really pricey. I'm sure homemade is much healthier, however. Gluten-free pizza is way cheaper made from scratch.

Most cheese dishes in general are cheaper store-bought. I can buy a whole lasagna for about half the cost of making my own (but again it's not nearly as healthy).

Store-bought applesauce is usually cheaper except for the single-serving lunchbox type.

The key is to compare ingredients. I can find bread in the store that is cheaper than my homemade bread, but it is not the equivalent of the bread I make at home. I can make whole grain, fresh bread for the same cost as the cheapest, mass-produced white bread at the local store. I would pay $5 for the actual equivalent of the bread I make at a bakery.

I can go to Aldi and buy lots and lots of cheap things, but the quality and nutritional value of what I buy will be very poor. The key for me is that I can make incredibly great food with high nutritional value for the same cost or lower cost than shopping for packaged products at Aldi.

:iagree:

That is the issue for me. I can buy cheap-o corn syrup laden pasta sauce for .99. Or for maybe 1.25 (?) I can make pasta sauce for much higher quality. It is difficult to compare because I will get more homemade sauce for that 1.25, so maybe it is cheaper? That 1.25 would be a large can of tomato puree for .99, a clove or two of garlic, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, a couple shakes of oregano.

Same with bread or baked goods. Making a cake from scratch is SO easy and inexpensive that I can't justify buying a boxed mix. First of all, when you haven't eaten a boxed mix cake in years and then you taste one, you notice it tastes of the cardboard box. I have that happen to me at weddings all the time. Second, why would I pay extra to have someone add the baking soda and sugar to my flour?

Once you have the ingredients in the house, and you start comparing unit prices, you will notice you save a lot of money.

FWIW, I can pay 1.25 for 5lbs of white flour. That makes a LOT of plain white bread. I make fancier bread than supermarket white, but it still doesn't cost much.

I make two pizzas at home for much less than delivery. We don't make anything fancy (kids only eat plain) and I don't often buy organic, and it is still much cheaper.

I make my own instant oatmeal mix and save a TON off the teensy little bags you get in the box. It was so cheap that my husband had dreams of my going into business. :lol: Yes, to buy the ingredients all at once cost more than a box of instant oatmeal bags, but I bought them in February and haven't run out of those ingredients. I have saved that cost many times over. I have a plastic shoe box in the pantry and it is filled with little plastic bags of single serving oatmeal mixes. DH and I put them together when we run out. We can make a box full in about 20 mins and it cost very little. I reuse the plastic bags.

:iagree:

That is the issue for me. I can buy cheap-o corn syrup laden pasta sauce for .99. Or for maybe 1.25 (?) I can make pasta sauce for much higher quality. It is difficult to compare because I will get more homemade sauce for that 1.25, so maybe it is cheaper? That 1.25 would be a large can of tomato puree for .99, a clove or two of garlic, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, a couple shakes of oregano.

Same with bread or baked goods. Making a cake from scratch is SO easy and inexpensive that I can't justify buying a boxed mix. First of all, when you haven't eaten a boxed mix cake in years and then you taste one, you notice it tastes of the cardboard box. I have that happen to me at weddings all the time. Second, why would I pay extra to have someone add the baking soda and sugar to my flour?

Once you have the ingredients in the house, and you start comparing unit prices, you will notice you save a lot of money.

FWIW, I can pay 1.25 for 5lbs of white flour. That makes a LOT of plain white bread. I make fancier bread than supermarket white, but it still doesn't cost much.

I make two pizzas at home for much less than delivery. We don't make anything fancy (kids only eat plain) and I don't often buy organic, and it is still much cheaper.

I make my own instant oatmeal mix and save a TON off the teensy little bags you get in the box. It was so cheap that my husband had dreams of my going into business. :lol: Yes, to buy the ingredients all at once cost more than a box of instant oatmeal bags, but I bought them in February and haven't run out of those ingredients. I have saved that cost many times over. I have a plastic shoe box in the pantry and it is filled with little plastic bags of single serving oatmeal mixes. DH and I put them together when we run out. We can make a box full in about 20 mins and it cost very little. I reuse the plastic bags.

I took this a step further and just left the "instant" oatmeal in bulk. I keep it in a container in the pantry with a 1/2 cup scoop in it. One scoop to a bowl with the appropriate amount of water makes a serving. Works great and can be adjusted for those who prefer their oatmeal less or more soupy.

I make simple yummy food . Even homemade mac n cheese for the kids is full of protein and I buy cheese at Costco. The box stuff is just flavored yuck.

I eat LC/HF so I pay for good fats, but I mostly just buy basic ingredients. Lots of produce, meat, chicken, eggs, whole fat dairy etc.

I make homemade pizza, crepes, breads, baked goods...all simple ingredients that are much cheaper than buying ready made decent quality.

Here is the recipe. I double it. I also buy a whole chicken and then boil it, debone and shred it. We don't sprinkle them with the sea salt as my dh is supposed to avoid added salt. You can use either flour or corn tortillas. Don't forget the cilantro. It makes or breaks it.

Chicken Taquitos

3 oz. cream cheese, softened

¼ cup salsa

1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp. cumin

½ tsp. onion powder

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

1-2 green onions, chopped

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese

10-12 6-inch tortillas

Olive oil

Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl (I use my kitchenAide), combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, and green onions; mix thoroughly then add chicken and cheese and mix well.

Heat the tortillas to make them pliable. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat until all the filling is used up. Brush tops of tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown.

To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a ziplock. To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking until warmed through.

I took this a step further and just left the "instant" oatmeal in bulk. I keep it in a container in the pantry with a 1/2 cup scoop in it. One scoop to a bowl with the appropriate amount of water makes a serving. Works great and can be adjusted for those who prefer their oatmeal less or more soupy.

I add dry milk for protein, extra oat bran for added fiber, and raisins or dried apples for sweetness. I would also add nuts for more nutrition, but not everyone in the house likes nuts.

Here is the recipe. I double it. I also buy a whole chicken and then boil it, debone and shred it. We don't sprinkle them with the sea salt as my dh is supposed to avoid added salt. You can use either flour or corn tortillas. Don't forget the cilantro. It makes or breaks it.

Chicken Taquitos

3 oz. cream cheese, softened

¼ cup salsa

1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp. cumin

½ tsp. onion powder

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

1-2 green onions, chopped

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese

10-12 6-inch tortillas

Olive oil

Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl (I use my kitchenAide), combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, and green onions; mix thoroughly then add chicken and cheese and mix well.

Heat the tortillas to make them pliable. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat until all the filling is used up. Brush tops of tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown.

To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a ziplock. To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking until warmed through.

I am SO SO SO making these! My dd loves taquitos, but I do not like paying upwards of $6 for a box of 20 frozen ones. Thanks for posting the recipe!

There is actually a book called "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter" about what is and isn't cheaper from scratch.

What did you think of that book? While I didn't necessarily agree with everything she concluded (of course, she actually did the experiments and I didn't), she made some excellent observations. And her experience with raising goats, and adding up the costs, was hilarious.

I liked that she didn't recommend buy or make on cost alone. Sometimes she would note that something cost more to make but was worth it. Or something might actually taste better homemade but the extravagant effort might not be worthwhile.

I want to try her homemade ginger ale recipe, but I'm a bit apprehensive. I keep imagining it exploding all over my pantry.

I make a lot homemade already but usually snacks are pretty basic, I'm going to have to use some of the recipes posted, dh (and the kids)have been more "snacky" lately and I've been wondering what to have around for him. The instant oatmeal is a good one as well, I use to buy that for his b-fast but we don't hardly do oats being gluten free(gf oats are expensive).

But it's not even the same thing! To the cheap box of macaroni & POWDER you have to add your own milk & butter to reconstitute the POWDER into something resembling cheese.

The only thing I can think of that might be more expensive from scratch is ice cream. By the time I add up the cream & eggs, plus all the extras that go in it - it's probably at least as much as store-bought. But we love it anyway. :)

I made mac & cheese from scratch - my sil bought the box. My kids would NOT eat hers.

when comparing costs of ice-cream - compare apples to apples. iow: you have to compare your homemade to a GOOD quality ice cream that's actually cream and eggs and not ice-milk with a bunch of fillers. (you know, the one's that are $4 - $7 per pint.)

Edited by gardenmom5

when comparing costs of ice-cream - compare apples to apples. iow: you have to compare your homemade to a GOOD quality ice cream that's actually cream and eggs and not ice-milk with a bunch of fillers. (you know, the one's that are $4 - $7 per pint.)

Definitely - you'd have to check the price of Ben and Jerry's to do an accurate comparison!

There is actually a book called "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter" about what is and isn't cheaper from scratch.

I've read that book... a friend has it... Her grocery prices were often higher than what I pay, so it was harder to see if there was a real price difference (and I don't buy much in bulk). I did like some of her comparisons. Her bread recipe didn't work for me though.

I liked that she didn't recommend buy or make on cost alone. Sometimes she would note that something cost more to make but was worth it. Or something might actually taste better homemade but the extravagant effort might not be worthwhile.

I like that part of her analysis too.

The instant oatmeal is a good one as well, I use to buy that for his b-fast but we don't hardly do oats being gluten free(gf oats are expensive).

Trader Joe's sells fairly inexpensive GF oats. I was so happy when my TJ's started stocking the GF oats so I could stop paying through the nose at Whole Foods for the Bob's Red Mill ones.

While I will agree with the previous posters that cooking from scratch is (usually) less expensive and (certainly) healthier, it does bear noting that if you are someone who does not cook frequently, the "start up" costs can make from scratch cooking seem more expensive.

I just recently moved and took the opportunity to start the pantry over (discovering items from 2002 made me think that moving spices celebrating their first decade probably wasn't worth it). Restocking my pantry was NOT an inexpensive venture, but the ultimate per item cost of the resulting meals is certainly lower. I've definitely had months of slightly higher grocery bills, but as sales spiral around and I'm back to status quo in pantry-land, most of my go-to meals are pennies (or dimes) to the dollar on their store-bought/frozen counterparts.

I'll also point out that the savings garnered from cooking by scratch usually come from consistently cooking at home. I go through an insane amount of cumin (everyone here loves it!) but if I was only an occasional cook, the thought of purchasing even a small jar of cumin to use 1/2 tsp wouldn't strike me as money saving. (And I envy those of you with bulk spices available to purchase in your desired quantity - I've moved away from that and it's such a bummer!)

So, basically, I think scratch cooking is less expensive if you can look past the start up costs - and if cooking becomes a regular habit.

Trader Joe's sells fairly inexpensive GF oats. I was so happy when my TJ's started stocking the GF oats so I could stop paying through the nose at Whole Foods for the Bob's Red Mill ones.

Really, I hadn't heard. We don't have a TJs close(nearest one is 2hrs away) but I stock up when I visit that area, or have a friend stock up when she goes. What is the price per pd? I just paid $2.05 per pd(shipping included, no tax) from Azure Co-op.

Edited by soror

I've actually found that homemade ice cream, unlike the Frozen Dairy Dessert that is selling right now as 'ice cream', is actually cheaper than the higher name brands that are truly ice cream. So it's cheaper than Ben, Daas, all the good ones. It also makes more, because you make it by the quart. A real quart, not the fake quart Breyers is trying to sell you.