Menu

What are you reading?

I just finished "The Dressmaker of Khair Khana" by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon. It's a true story about a young woman in Kabul, Afghanistan who started a tailoring business when the Taliban took over and the economy collapsed. It's a good book. Pretty easy read, but very interesting.

I'm halfway through

Assessment and Management of Central Auditory Processing Disorder In the Educational Setting - by Teri James Bellis

Three Philosophies of Life - by Peter Kreeft

One Thousand Gifts - I can't remember the author and don't have the book nearby right now.

I like bouncing from book to book depending on my mood. The Three Philosophies of Life is probably the hardest one for me to read. But then philosophy tends to slow me down a little most times.

Reading aloud to the kids: Lad, a Dog

Listening to audio CD of InkHeart in the car with the kids

Learned Optimism by Martin E. P. Seligman, also his The Optimistic Child

The Well-Educated Mind, but I've only just begun ch. 2

LOTR series, always, just for they joy of it

Unbroken (Hildebrand). The book is very well-researched and well-written, but the topic is incredible. Louie Zamberini was a star runner and Olympian whose plane was shot down during WWII. He survives 40 days drifting at sea and a Japanese POW camp, but it is the attitude with which he does so that is inspiring.

In Pursuit of the Unknown (17 Equations that Changed the World) by Ian Stewart

Raising A Thinking Preteen

Just finished Xenophon's Anabasis ("The March Up Country" trans by W H D Rouse), and reviewed it under kalanamak on Amazon. It has joined my "top 100 books in my lifetime" list.

For study, I'm just finishing outlining Unlocking the Logic of English with Cornell notepaper, and I feel I've stepped up one more cloud toward cloud 9.

The War Against Grammar

Wasn't he lovely? I am reminded of the old truism "the perfect evening in the perfect place with the perfect people for the perfect amount of time". He wrote a short, neat book to make a quietly passionate point, and I just loved it.

I just finished Anna Karenina.

Now I'm reading Every Living Thing by Rob Dunn, which I also assigned to the kids as we're doing a classification unit over the summer.

I also just started 1491 by Charles Mann when I was out and left the other book at home. :tongue_smilie:

I'm in the middle of my all-time favorite series, The Belgariad by David Eddings. It's a 5-book fantasy story that is basically about a teen's long quest to save the world from an evil god. I've read this series several times and the characters are like friends. I'm actually sad that I'm halfway through. That means it will be over before I know it, and I'll be left without their company. Yes, I'm emotionally invested in these characters. :tongue_smilie:

I do have a recommendation for a quick read. It's called The Pact, and is about 3 African American young men who come from an inner city where gangs, violence, and drugs are just the way of life. They made a pact to go to college and become doctors. It was a rough road for them but they did it. It was a very inspirational story and I'm glad I found it at the library on accident.

I did a lot of reading last week while waiting for DS13 during Filmmaking camp so I'm reading some uber-light kid fiction right now.

Currently on the first book in the Guardians of Ga'hoole series; "The Capture."

I just read The Night Circus, which I loved. It was very imaginative. :) I'm reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I'm still early in the book and it's very sad. It's pretty detailed about what went into foot binding.

Just finished The Wild Wood. It's a wonderful YA book by Julie Anne Nelson, who happens to be one of my friends from high school and college. It's a really good read and appropriate for 14 and above. My 12yo will be reading it, but he's my own kid. :)

Give it a try if you want to support a new writer and it really is a great read! Available on Amazon.

Fahrenheit 451 - I havent read it since high school and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm thankful for this thread, because I'm in the unusual position of needing a book and we're heading camping. I just downloaded a sample of The Optomistic Child.

Today?

Falling for Hamlet (Michelle Ray; YA fiction)

Happy Endings Are All Alike (Sandra Scoppetone; YA fiction)

A Long Way Gone (Ishmael Beah; non-fiction)

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Andrew Tobias; non-fiction)

I'm thisclose to finishing three of the four -- my only "obligation" for today. (*smile*)

I recently finished these four:

Amped (Daniel H. Wilson; fiction)

Entertaining if thin sci-fi from the author of Robopocalypse, which I enjoyed last summer.

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (Joshua Foer; non-fiction)

This was our audio accompaniment for our ill-fated trip to the Illinois Shakespeare Festival. (Temps were 105 when we arrived in Bloomington. As it turned out, the Festival had cancelled the evening's events about an hour and half after we had gotten on the road. Sigh.) All of us give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

The Group (Mary McCarthy; fiction)

Robin challenged us to read a NYT bestseller from the week and year we were born. As it happens, The Group was #2 during my week. It was a dated but compelling read.

The Age of Miracles (Karen Thompson Walker; fiction)

I loved this quiet work of post-apocalyptic fiction, even if others didn't. There is something about summer reading for me, though: It's more... forgiving.

I do a monthly reading life review, if you're interested. They're collected here.

Can you compare it to the old?

I haven't read the earlier translation, but from what I understand Nunnally's translation keeps the more simple, straightforward tone of the Norwegian, and does not use antiquated "thee's and thou's" which the notes in my book say do not acurately represent the simple prose of the original.

Well Educated Mind

I have been reading Total Truth in small pieces for a few months.

I plan to start the novels from WEM....I have to order a couple that I don't own and add in a few I do own and have wanted to read...Hunchback of notre Dame, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and some others....I figure I will have a.list long enough to keep me reading for a year!

Unbroken (Hildebrand). The book is very well-researched and well-written, but the topic is incredible. Louie Zamberini was a star runner and Olympian whose plane was shot down during WWII. He survives 40 days drifting at sea and a Japanese POW camp, but it is the attitude with which he does so that is inspiring.

I just started reading this too.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers -Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katerine Boo

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

There are several others being worked at my bedside, but these are the ones I carry in my bag with me in case I have a spare moment.

Game of Thrones and Anne of Green Gables.

OoOoo...this is a book? Is this what the (HBO, maybe?) series my sister keeps telling me I *must* watch is based upon? If so, I'm happy because I don't have HBO and would prefer to read the book first anyway!

On topic, I'm currently reading The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.