Menu

80 year old teacher

How would you feel if your third grader had an 80 year old teacher in public school?

There is one in our town and it really blows my mind. Maybe I haven't been around enough spry 80 year olds, although, I did actually work in an assisted living.

How would you feel if your third grader had an 80 year old teacher in public school?

There is one in our town and it really blows my mind. Maybe I haven't been around enough spry 80 year olds, although, I did actually work in an assisted living.

If she still wants to teach, I would bet she's great. Also great for the kids to see that you can stay active and engaged when you're 80.

I would have to see the teacher in action before I could comment on how I would feel about it.

My grandma at 80 years old was anxiety-wracked and loopy with dementia.

My fil, on the other hand, is in his 70s and truly brilliant. If he maintains his incredible mind and wonderful patience, there's no one I'd rather have teaching kids.

I can't imagine what the problem would be! My father in law is almost 81, sharp as a tack, and works full time as a land surveyor. If he was a teacher, why not? My mother in law is 79, I believe. She would be fully capable of teaching school. My step-mother's mother died at 97. She could have taught school up till a year before she died. My grandmother died at 77. She played golf every day, maintained her house and gardens, had full mental faculties, a great sense of humor and enjoyed kids. She played golf the day before she died in her sleep. Perhaps your work at assisted living skewed your view of 80 year olds. Sure, there are many who couldn't teach school, but if this woman is and the school administration hasn't seen a problem, I wouldn't question it a bit! I'd tell her, "You go, girl! Hope I'm like you when I hit 80!"

Edited by Laurie4b

I'm not sure. I guess if she had the energy, although at that age I can see a person forgetting things and getting tired much more easily. Would she be able to teach things taking into account the changes in technology and educational standards. They are alot different now than say 60yrs ago. lol.

At 80 my mother had not slowed down a whit, and actually skinny dipped off the back of a boat in the Dnieper River that year. At 80 my father hadn't climbed his last mountain, yet.

My brother presented a case in front of a judge in his late 90s, once, and he caught a lot of the young whipper-snappers with muddled facts, muddled law, and flawed logic.

So, it depends on the person.

Edited by kalanamak

It would depend on the person, the school, and the group of kids she's teaching.

As long as she is competent, why do the other two thing matter more than for any other teacher?

My dad's second cousin, who was his teacher in first grade and also taught my brother and I, was 75 when she retired. She was still very mentally active and excellent with children, but she contracted cancer and was going to have to undergo chemotherapy.

My former fourth grade teacher retired the same year at 73.

Neither had any classroom discipline issues. As a matter of fact, their relationships with the children were very, very good. I think at that point the kids thought of them in many ways as grandmas. They also brought the kind of wisdom to their teaching that only comes from btdt, seen that and am not fazed, kind of experience. They weren't worried about job security so they could care less about hoop jumping and because they didn't care about hoop jumping they were very successful which is kind of funny because it guaranteed them job security. Silly how that kind of thing works!

The community was sorry to see them go. Their 45 year old principal cried during her speech at their retirement dinner.

I think that there isn't a problem until there is a problem, kwim? Given the fact that the school district could probably easily hire a spry, young, and not too highly paid replacement for the 81 year old teacher, I'd be willing to bet that he/she is bringing something special to the classroom that the administration and the community doesn't want to lose. Considering the liability to the school, at the first sign of inability to handle the workload or the onset of dementia, a mid-year retirement would be likely to occur.

Faith

I had a teacher in 7th grade that was not competent because of age. I'm not sure how old he was. Maybe only 65. He was perfectly fine in a discussion with adults, but he couldn't keep up with sneeky mean kids. It was difficult to watch.

I would also worry just a little bit about the physical strength and stamina of an 80 year old, not just the mental competency.

Interesting how there's an assumption (if stated) that the teacher is a woman... I did it myself. Lauren, is the the case?

Edited by nmoira
Punctuation

I'd rather have a motivated 80 year old who WANTS to be teaching than a disgruntled, burnt out 55 year old who is just hanging in and waiting for her pension.

My self employed grandmother worked until well into her 80s. My other grandma was our home maker for a six people family until she was 93.

Our district just had an elementary teacher in her 70s retire this year. The local paper ran an article about her years in school and her retirement. The teacher sounded spry and engaged, but she did say that she couldn't keep up with the technology that she was suppose to be using/teaching.

DH is in the tech industry, but we limit the technology in our home. That said - I read the article and was truly worried about the children this lady was teaching. The article really made her sound like she was still back in the dark ages. I'm going to assume she wasn't as 'tech adverse' as the article made her out to be.

I'd rather have a motivated 80 year old who WANTS to be teaching than a disgruntled, burnt out 55 year old who is just hanging in and waiting for her pension.
:iagree:

I personally know a 65-year-old that just retired that was so disgruntled they didn't belong anywhere near children. :tongue_smilie:

I also just assume it is a woman. I've just been told by other mothers about an 80 year old teacher.

There is no way I could imagine my 67 year old mother or my 73 year old mother-in-law teaching.

I'm starting to understand there are some out there that can just do it, but I am just surprised.

I had a teacher in 7th grade that was not competent because of age. I'm not sure how old he was. Maybe only 65. He was perfectly fine in a discussion with adults, but he couldn't keep up with sneeky mean kids. It was difficult to watch.

I would also worry just a little bit about the physical strength and stamina of an 80 year old, not just the mental competency.

But isn't this stereotyping? Basing everyone's potential competence on one singular performance? Substitute black for "old" and how comfortable would most of us be? There's competent old people. There's competent black people. There's incompetent young people. There's incompetent white people. Vice versa. And everything in between.

I figure it this way. If the school district is keeping this teacher, chances are he/she either is good at his/her job, or else he/she has incriminating pictures on someone...

As long as she is competent, why do the other two thing matter more than for any other teacher?

Because in the schools where I live you need a LOT of stamina to keep up with the turmoil in the schools and classrooms. Many of my friends have quit subbing because it's so bad.

I think these kids would run right over an old person, no matter how competent. I don't think they'd have the strength to fight them.

It depends on the 80 year old. In somewhat the same way that it depends on the 40 year old or 22 year old. Some people can teach and are mentally and physically fit, others are not.

I had a 3rd grade teacher who was well past 70. I had a 6th grade teacher who was in her 60s. The 6th grade teach was the one not mentally sharp or physically fit enough to teach. It just depends.

It depends on the 80 year old. In somewhat the same way that it depends on the 40 year old or 22 year old. Some people can teach and are mentally and physically fit, others are not.

I had a 3rd grade teacher who was well past 70. I had a 6th grade teacher who was in her 60s. The 6th grade teach was the one not mentally sharp or physically fit enough to teach. It just depends.

I started 6th grade with a math/history teacher who was in her 70s. She was an amazing teacher. She engaged us from the moment we walked through the door, didn't put up with nonsense, but was admired and respected. I think some of the kids actually treated her better and toned down their shenanigans because of her age. It's easier to mouth off to a teacher who reminds you of mom than one who reminds you of grandma.:001_smile: Unfortunately she broke her hip a few months into school and retired at that point.

Interesting how there's an assumption (if stated) that the teacher is a woman... I did it myself. Lauren, is the the case?

I actually assumed the opposite, and when I read the first reply that said "she" I thought, "Oh, I suppose it could be a woman." But I'd assumed the OP was talking about a male teacher.

It would depend on the person, the school, and the group of kids she's teaching.

I had a 3rd grade teacher who was 70+ years old. She was great. I remember her using a ruler for students who misbehaved -- she would call them up front of the classroom and have them hold out their hands as she used the ruler in a smackdown! LOL After the first student got his punishment, the rest of us were well behaved for the remainder of the school year. I liked her. She did not seem slow or tired. She would read out loud to us after lunch, we would sew gifts and she taught me one golden rule about eating sugary treats. Always rinse your mouth with water after eating candy.

My husband's grandmother lived to the age of 96 and was very active to the end. In her eighties, she was an avid bowler and her mind was sharp as a tack. She walked everywhere and loved people. If she was forced to sit at home by herself, she would be very unhappy and bored.

Her daughter, my MIL, was just like her mother. In her early 70's, she was super active and loved being busy. She would teach water aerobics, go down to the lake (a 1/2 mile hike from her cliff top home) daily from May-August and tread water for 30-40 minutes as exercise, work in her garden daily, walk the entire neighborhood in the morning after breakfast, and her mind was super duper sharp. She did not live a long age like her mom, unfortunately. Due to her years of being in the sun as a PE teacher and lifeguard took a toll in the form of malignant melanoma at the age of 75. It was super quick for the tumors in her brain -- 6 months later, she was taken from us.

Edited by tex-mex

One of my professors was in her 80's. She was the best teacher we had at the graduate school. Of course, she wasn't dealing with littles.

It depends on the individual - but that is true no matter what the age of the teacher.

I've seen 80 year olds who are ancient. I've seen 80 year olds that are spry and active. My own great-grandfather, who ultimately lived to be 97, was ice skating at 85. I have no doubt he could've kept up with little kids no problem at 80.

I had teachers in school who weren't competent for a variety of reasons. Young, inexperienced teachers often can't keep up with sneaky mean high school kids. I had a teacher who was probably mid-30s who went on a leave of absence. I suspect now it was depression. I had teachers who were competent but didn't care.

Teachers can teach if they are going through medical treatments such as chemo or have chronic or acute noncontagious medical conditions where strength and stamina may be compromised. The decisions are presumably made based on whether they can do their jobs with the level of strength and stamina they have.

The only thing we know about this teacher is her age.

Edited by Laurie4b

I had 3 teachers between 70 and 80 in elementary school. They were fabulous. Managed 30 plus kids without blinking. Threw out the books one year and taught us-- we all learned. Even the what a suspect were the ADHD boys who were wild. The final year there we had the 30 something assistant principal. He literally threw up his hands and welcomed utter madness. No math--well twice for fifth grade. I am absolutely serious! So the old ladies had great control -- we did math daily.:lol: What they had was years of experience to offer a bunch of kids in a very poor school district.

If they were like my 83 year-old parents, I'd be thrilled. My father has barely slowed down. He works as a tax consultant, cross-country skis in the winter, and is extremely smart, solid, and wise. My techno-mother is not quite as spry but she's quick, bright, witty, and well-read. She has a computer, a lap-top, a Kindle, an iPod, and loves to text on her cell phone. They're presently traveling through Europe.

I thought about that before I posted. I assume the teacher's a woman because in that generation most teachers were women because women didn't have as many options as they have today.

I thought about that before I posted. I assume the teacher's a woman because in that generation most teachers were women because women didn't have as many options as they have today.
There are also more 80+ women than men.

Interesting that many assumed a woman.

I pictured a man! Most people's know who work into their 80s are men. The women might still be very active, but for some reason it usually isn't in a paid position. At least not in my limited sphere.

Maybe I haven't been around enough spry 80 year olds, although, I did actually work in an assisted living.

I'm guessing that people in assisted living facilities would be on the less spry end of the continuum.

But isn't this stereotyping? Basing everyone's potential competence on one singular performance? Substitute black for "old" and how comfortable would most of us be? There's competent old people. There's competent black people. There's incompetent young people. There's incompetent white people. Vice versa. And everything in between.

I figure it this way. If the school district is keeping this teacher, chances are he/she either is good at his/her job, or else he/she has incriminating pictures on someone...

I don't think this is a valid comparison. There are age-related changes in energy levels, alertness, vision, hearing, quickness, etc. that can impact one's effectiveness in the classroom. I think it is rare to see an 80 year old that does not have health issues or simple decline in abilities that would hamper one's ability to manage a classroom full of 3rd graders. My next-door-neighbor is a spry 70+ yo woman who has more energy than me - gardens, mows her own lawn, walks 3 miles every day, helps out others. However, she tells me that she finds her grandchildren much more exhausting than she ever did in the past.

ETA: I am not saying that an 80 year old can't be competent in the classroom. I am just saying that the racial comparison isn't valid. I know that I would want to meet the teacher before I would pass judgement - just as I would want to meet any of my children's teachers. A fresh-out-of-school teacher would concern me for different reasons:).

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

I'm guessing that people in assisted living facilities would be on the less spry end of the continuum.
And we're not talking about a random 80yo, so the odds of this (presumably very experienced) teacher being an Emily Litella or showing signs of dementia are relatively small. At 80, the district would be under no obligation to keep her employed. Sure it's possible the teacher is terrible and a tyrant, but the worst teacher I had along those lines couldn't have been more than 30, and man, was she bitter.

Less than ten percent of elementary teachers are male, according to the NEA.

I find this interesting since half of my dd's teachers are male (3 female, 3 male)! Next year it looks like she may have more male than female teachers.

As far as the original question, my favorite teachers growing up were the much older ones. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they could still do the job well, but most of my grandparents were way past 80 before they slowed down (and my great-grandmother was past 90 before she slowed).

I wouldn't think twice about it. There are more than enough incompetent teachers in their 20s. ;) Like anything else, a teacher should be evaluated on a case by case basis. A teacher in her (or his!) 80s has a wealth of experience and many years to build patience. I would assume someone teaching in their 80s has a real passion for it since they could have retired years before.

I'd be fine with an 80yo school teacher... my kids are homeschooled, LOL!

Seriously, though: if a teacher of any age is competent, then I'm in favor of it.

In high school my favorite teacher was in her late 60s at least... she worked out at my gym, and I knew what she could bench press. :w00t: She didn't take carp from anyone, and I once saw her chase a student down the hallway in high heels to chew him out. :boxing_smiley:

I wouldn't think anything of it. To be honest, I am surprised that anyone would. Like others have mentioned if she wasn't capable of doing her job I'm sure she wouldn't have it. If you are truly concerned see if you can talk to some parents whose children have had her as a teacher.

SJ