Menu

Am i nuts? (permissible behavior in 10 yo)

Your opinion! Please read the post  

1. 1. Your opinion! Please read the post

• Absolutely, completely fine. Age appropriate.
    • Some aspects are fine (please specify in post), others not.
    • Not age appropriate in my house and i havent seen neighbours allowing it either.
    • Not appropriate but i have definitely seen this sort of thing around us.
    • Other.

Okay, without getting into overly personal details, is it normal nowadays, even among "certain circles", for a 10 yo girl to 1) get her hair highlighted 2) have her own phone with unlimited texting and talk (definitely used a lot, not an "emergency phone") and 3) to have "boys interested in her", a concept she understands and discusses with friends (although she is not allowed to officially "date", thank goodness).

Am i is out of the loop? She is public-schooled, fwiw. I am somehow made to feel that my children are sheltered which, trust me, they are not. They are, however, fairly innocent. But i think age-appropriately so. Could be wrong, however.

I do not think you are nuts, but I do think that this sort of thing is more common nowadays. My nephews both had cell phones at around the age of 9 or so. :001_huh: I don't get it. I know moms who talk about their 1st-2nd graders having "boyfriends." I think THAT is nuts. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter isn't even like that at age 14 but I do know a girl around 10 who fits that description fairly well. She's homeschooled too. Definitely an outlier but the concern is that some of the other girls look up to her. I have a good friend whose daughters are friends with her and she allows it but definitely keeps a close eye on the friendship and talks with her daughter a lot about who is acceptable and what is not. I think in public school circles this is more common, unfortunately.

I do not think you are nuts, but I do think that this sort of thing is more common nowadays.

:iagree:Sadly, it is the norm and it is one very big reason I'm keeping my kids at home. I want my kids to be kids. You know, while they are kids. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I will never forget the time the 8 year old boy who lived down our street walked by DD, who was 4 at the time. She was waving wildly at him, excited to see him, and shouted out hi. He rolled his eyes, turned away from her, and said into his cell phone as if he were a frat boy in college, "Oh, nothing. Just some annoying little kid." And I wanted to go and say to him, "Hey! You know you're a little kid, right? You should act like a little kid. Put down the phone and pick up a kickball!" But I didn't.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
confused the poll with the question in the OP

10yo is about, what, end of fourth grade, beginning of 5th? No, don't think all aspects are normal around here--maybe the phone more than others.

Doesn't fly here.

Wow. I want to live where you live! I remember when I worked in the local elementary schools, it seemed like there was a big change between the kids in 3rd and 4th grade. The 4th graders acted like middle schoolers...boyfriend/girlfriend drama, increased cattiness among the girls, bravado from the boys. So sad.

2) have her own phone with unlimited texting and talk (definitely used a lot, not an "emergency phone") and

This part would be pretty much ok... not texting a ton... but a bit. The boys interested?? Seriously?? Not till she's at least 15 or 16... Dating is ok after Dad talks with boy and shares the "I'll hurt you if you look wrong at my baby..." :)

Hair highlights? Hmmmm.... 14-16??

Among our crowd, none of the girls do/have those things. I'm always shocked by the amount of makeup I see on young girls out in public though.

ETA: When DS10 was in preschool (5-7 years ago), I remember seeing little girls maybe 7-9 walking home talking on cell phones.

Edited by joannqn

We know 10 year olds (and younger) with cell phones, but often they are latchkey kids or cared for after school by aging grandparents with health issues, and the cell phones are provided with that in mind.

We also know tweens with cell phones whose parents feel they can be a bit more free-range when mom can reasonably expect instant contact with the child (and the child with mom).

Cell plans vary widely; ours lets us add another person for $10/month (unlimited talk), with a free phone, so having a cell may not be as extravagant as it may seem at first (though of course that's relative to to each family's discretionary income). Our unlimited texting is a "per family" fee, so if one has it, we all have it.

Highlighted hair can be a mom/daughter bonding thing in certain cultures. It may be done at the salon, or at home. It's not my thing, but I don't have a problem with others doing it.

The boy thing is often encouraged by parents. I don't get it, but again it can be a cultural difference. I think it's mostly talk, and crushes of the "Donny Osmond", boy band, etc. variety.

My soon to be 11 y/o [rising 6th grader] has had her hair highlighted and had a feather and some color strands put it at one point or another. It's hair and it grows back. :)

She does have a cell phone but we closly monitor it and I check it for innaproriate stuff...which to date has never happened. We do not have a land line so she has the ability to call us if we are not home running errands.

Under no circumstances are boyfriends allowed. She is not able to date until 16 and she knows this... she is still in the boys are icky phase thankfully.

:iagree:Sadly, it is the norm and it is one very big reason I'm keeping my kids at home. I want my kids to be kids. You know, while they are kids. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I will never forget the time the 8 year old boy who lived down our street walked by DD, who was 4 at the time. She was waving wildly at him, excited to see him, and shouted out hi. He rolled his eyes, turned away from her, and said into his cell phone as if he were a frat boy in college, "Oh, nothing. Just some annoying little kid." And I wanted to go and say to him, "Hey! You know you're a little kid, right? You should act like a little kid. Put down the phone and pick up a kickball!" But I didn't.

My son is almost 7, but most of his friends are almost 8. I'm wondering if it's an age thing, because my son tends to be super excitable and exuberant while each and every one of his friends has, at some point, said "Dude, chill out. I get it." NO! No, don't CHILL OUT! I want you to maintain your child-like exuberance and excitement with the world UNTIL YOU DIE! I find that all these boys are around older boys or even in lots of groups with lots of boys, like in co-ops and stuff. My son prefers to play with younger boys. And, oddly, these jaded older boys still seek my son out.

Rambling, I know, but I don't think people realize that this peer pressure is aging our kids too fast. But it's not maturing them. It's a bad combination. And I am dreading when my daughter hits the double digits.

Some aspects of it are common I think. DH and I watched a little bit of a show last night where children/young adults were talking about where they first encountered p*rnography - and I was gobsmacked when they said kids were sharing it around on their phones in primary school. DH thought I was being very naive when I exploded into a diatribe about what on earth are kids that little doing with all access phones?

The hair highlights thing is uncommon at that age in my experience, but while I don't particularly like it I wouldn't chalk it up (on it's own) as a bad thing.

The boys interested part seems common - but not fine - to me. I vividly remember a similar experience at school when I was about 10-11. Many of the girls I went to school with had boyfriends by grade 5 or 6. So it doesn't seem strange or new to me, but my DD will most certainly not be one of those girls!

Okay, without getting into overly personal details, is it normal nowadays, even among "certain circles", for a 10 yo girl to 1) get her hair highlighted 2) have her own phone with unlimited texting and talk (definitely used a lot, not an "emergency phone") and 3) to have "boys interested in her", a concept she understands and discusses with friends (although she is not allowed to officially "date", thank goodness).

Am i is out of the loop? She is public-schooled, fwiw. I am somehow made to feel that my children are sheltered which, trust me, they are not. They are, however, fairly innocent. But i think age-appropriately so. Could be wrong, however.

Yes, this behavior is normal, in certain circles.

My house is not part of that circle, thankfully, and in all honesty, this is a person that my kids, at that age, would spend limited time with (and only if we were related and had no other option).

:iagree:

My daughter isn't even like that at age 14 but I do know a girl around 10 who fits that description fairly well. She's homeschooled too. Definitely an outlier but the concern is that some of the other girls look up to her. I have a good friend whose daughters are friends with her and she allows it but definitely keeps a close eye on the friendship and talks with her daughter a lot about who is acceptable and what is not. I think in public school circles this is more common, unfortunately.

My 14 yr old isn't like this either (though she does have a cell phone so we can contact her when she babysits her siblings). She still enjoys playing with Legos, playing outside with her younger siblings, etc.

I see the "teen thinking" among younger kids with a lot of my friends' (public schooled) kids. I find that the parents encourage it. One of my friends from high school is always posting photos on Facebook of her daughter attending formal dances (she's 12) and her son who is in grade school going to casual dances (dances in grade school?). The formal dance thing gets me, because these girls are wearing strapless and/or low cut dresses...it just looks really inappropriate. Our neighbors down the street have daughters who have been talking about various boyfriends since grade school.

But this seems to be the norm nowadays. I just don't understand the rush to have them grow up...it goes by so fast! I'm very glad my kids seem to be growing up more slowly.

We have some very dear friends whom we love, but with whom we have absolutely nothing in common when it comes to parenting. ;)

Their 10 year old daughter is always very done up. She also has a cell phone attached to her person at all times and at some point during play with my kids, she will invariably interrupt the game to take a call or make a call to a friend. My husband was hanging at their house late one weekend and she ran upstairs to take a call from a friend--- after midnight. :confused:

Their 15 year old spent our entire dinner the other night (we were hosting) texting friends trying to get a ride out of there. :001_huh:

So yes, I would say from my experience it's not uncommon. It's been a pretty good learning experience for my kids, though. They've seen how it feels to compete with a cell phone and lose. :tongue_smilie: I think they understand more clearly why we have a no cell phone policy.

It's all about intent. Is the highlighting because at age 10 she is super aware of her looks and wants to be attractive to boys? Is the phone so she can chat with boys, or does she use it to keep up with friends? Most of my 13yodd's friends have had Ipod Touches (it can be used for a phone, right?) for a couple of years, they use them to make movies, take pics, play games, etc. The interest in boys? Well, I was interested in boys from about 2nd grade, so while I don't want that for my girls it doesn't sound off.

Overall, in today's world, none of that surprises me, and it reflects society as I see it. BUT--none of that has happened here, none of it will be happening here.

Some of dd's ballet friends are getting rather tweenish. I've overheard phone discussions, etc. Some are wearing a bit of makeup and clothing that looks very teenish. Most of this is from some of the girls who take jazz as well and are PS kids.

I can see dd wanting highlights, she loves her blond hair, but it will be done with natural stuff from the HFS. The phone thing just isn't necessary until they are away from me enough to need it. Boys? Ha. NEVER! Just joking, but we are implementing courting for our kids so that's a whole 'nother thread.

This is our 10 year old, minus the boys. She currently has purple tips in her hair, and uses her cell phone on a regular basis. She has strict rules for the phone, and earns the right to have it with chores above what is normally expected (in addition to cleaning up after her self, she is expected to keep the main bathroom clean- toilets, shower, floor, company ready basically; load/unload this dishwasher as needed, and laundry), she also turns it in upon request (1-2 times per week) and we read her text messages to insure she is using full words (no idk, wut, etc), and talking appropriately. She has no interest iin boys (not that we would allow such a thing), though she does have friends who are very into boys. We try to limit the contact with those friends but it hasn't seemed to rub off at all.

Interest in the opposite sex started to develop around 10 back when I was a kid. That strikes me as totally normal, though I think it was more girls interested in boys than vice versa. (We had a thread about this not long ago)

I don't see highlights as being a particularly big deal.

I think that unlimited cell phone used in an unlimited fashion is not healthy, but I don't think it's particularly unusual.

Edited by ocelotmom

I do think it is common in some groups. However depending on other circumstances only #3 really bothers me. I don't have a problem with a child that age having a phone, and chatting or texting with her friends. I didn't have one until I was iin my 20's but I can see how it is convenient. I have a cousin who has had texting since she was a tween, and she texts with her mom all day long, lol. I do think there should be some rules and limits about the phone, but I don't think it has to be "emergency only" to be acceptable.

I also don't have a problem with the hair-dyeing bit unless it is specifically to attract boys or because of body-image problems. But then again, last year for Easter I used a temp. dye (spray in) to dye my then-7mo twins hair green and blue, and my 2.5yo's hair orange. Once they are old enough to deal with their own hair stuff (ie wash and brush it themselves) I don't plan to restrict what my kids do with their hair very much. My brother's hair was a different color every week in Jr High and HS. He jokes that he's glad he had fun then, because he can't now that he's an adult (men in my family start losing hair before they turn 20, and my brother has a bald spot at 26).

The interest in girls thing does seem a bit young from what I remember, but doesn't sound THAT far off to me. By 11 I was menstruating and most definitely having certain feelings... I didn't date until I was 17, but "stuff" was happening by 10, I'm sure.

Edited by AdventureMoms

The phone thing seems very normal. Ds had his own by age 10, although he'd call us and my mom. :lol: He has unlimited everything because he's on our plan and it's like 10.00 a month.

Hair? IDK. I wouldn't say it's uncommon here.

The boy thing I'm not familiar with but ds had a little girl interested in him about that age. Thankfully her over aggressive actions came off as rude and he wanted nothing to do with her.

My 10 yr old doesn't, but I've seen others who are fine with it. My 10 yr old is very much a kid still. She is just starting to get into her own music and taste. She designed her own tween quilt and I made it for her. It seemed too grown up, but nothing objectional. It is a purple and black music note quilt.

My 12 year old has a phone. It technically has unlimited text and minutes, although she doesn't use much. My DH is active duty military and we live in a city where the closest family member is a 12 hour drive away. I like being able to have an instant connection with her if I need it. She spends time away from our house with friends and I want to know that I can get in touch with her when I want, and without having to go through a middle man.

She doesn't dye her hair but I subscribe to a fairly liberal freedom-of-expression bent. If she wanted to dye it pink next week I would take her down and let her... and probably take pictures to send to her Dad across the pond (deployed). As long as she has a sweet, teachable spirit, loves Jesus and does well with her studies I'm okay with pretty much anything that's not permanent.

The 4th graders acted like middle schoolers...boyfriend/girlfriend drama, increased cattiness among the girls, bravado from the boys. So sad.

You know, this may explain the issues we're having in our neighborhood all of a sudden. I always felt grateful that all of the kids on our street got along so well and would play and bike together for hours. But in the last few months, suddenly the girls, one in particular really, have been extremely catty to my dd, playing little games she won't play (let's talk about this other girl, let's leave that one girl out, etc.), so then they snub her. It has been so sudden and the main girl this is an issue with used to be the best of friends with my dd. But they're all in 4th grade this year, so maybe things have changed at school for the other girls and they're becoming peer attached and have learned to play the game, which my dd hasn't been exposed to so far, as a hser.

You know, this may explain the issues we're having in our neighborhood all of a sudden. I always felt grateful that all of the kids on our street got along so well and would play and bike together for hours. But in the last few months, suddenly the girls, one in particular really, have been extremely catty to my dd, playing little games she won't play (let's talk about this other girl, let's leave that one girl out, etc.), so then they snub her. It has been so sudden and the main girl this is an issue with used to be the best of friends with my dd. But they're all in 4th grade this year, so maybe things have changed at school for the other girls and they're becoming peer attached and have learned to play the game, which my dd hasn't been exposed to so far, as a hser.

Peer-attached game playing is exactly what I saw. We just moved and I noticed the girls in our old neighborhood headed the same way. They used to play kickball and ride bikes and do the monkey bars. Just a week before we left, I went with the kids to the park and the 10-11 year old girls were clearly putting on airs for the boys and talking with them about so-and-so who likes and is dating who's-it and, oh, did you know, "I think he's in high school." Like that is a great thing. And I get it. That's how kids turn into teens turn into adults. But it is starting too soon.

I'd say it describes 80% or more of the same age girls at my school.

You can't **stop** boys (or girls ;)) being interested.

In any case, you also can't accurately extrapolate anything about values, morals, or the family from that OTHER than:

1. They allow play with hair color.

2. They get cell phones for preteens.

3. They don't make interest in others a no-no.

None of the above accurately suggest anything of substance.

I'd say it describes 80% or more of the same age girls at my school.

You can't **stop** boys (or girls ;)) being interested.

In any case, you also can't accurately extrapolate anything about values, morals, or the family from that OTHER than:

1. They allow play with hair color.

2. They get cell phones for preteens.

3. They don't make interest in others a no-no.

None of the above accurately suggest anything of substance.

Of course these three things do not somehow make a girl immoral or her parents irresponsible. However, in a discussion of whether or not this is typical behavior, it is fair to note the pervasiveness of it in contrast to the past. It is worth noting that 10 year children who used to play are now spending their time acting like miniature adults, complete with all the melodrama implied by that. Maybe some say no big deal that it's happening at 10. Opinions differ. Fine. I personally think it is sad (and particularly when this trend trickles down to even younger children) and I'm allowed to think it's sad without judging an individual child or her parents.

Oops. I hit the wrong button. I see all those things as being totally seperate issues that are just to some extent correlated by age. Anyhow, around here kids have cell phones by middle elementary, haircoloring can happen at any age (toddlers in tiaras) but the interest in the opposite sex seems to start in the 5th grade for girls maybe a year or two later for the boys. It seems to be very closely tied to puberty (so anywhere from 8 to 16?) which is pretty much how I remember it 40 years ago?

Of course these three things do not somehow make a girl immoral or her parents irresponsible. However, in a discussion of whether or not this is typical behavior, it is fair to note the pervasiveness of it in contrast to the past. It is worth noting that 10 year children who used to play are now spending their time acting like miniature adults, complete with all the melodrama implied by that. Maybe some say no big deal that it's happening at 10. Opinions differ. Fine. I personally think it is sad (and particularly when this trend trickles down to even younger children) and I'm allowed to think it's sad without judging an individual child or her parents.

I disagree. Highlights in hair and cell phones were not common when I grew up - for anyone.

I was born in 1966 - and I remember young "crushes" and discussions about boys. We didn't have cell phones or highlighted hair. We probably had the discussions while playing kickball, hide and go seek, and 4 square.

As a matter of fact, the students I posted match the profile all *play* during recess.

You can't assume the children involved don't play, have excessive mature drama (which is an oxy moron).

The only thing from this list that I've seen around me is the phone thing. It's actually a girl who has divorced parents and I'm told this is really helpful to the mom to be able to reach her child at any time, especially since the young girl walks home from school alone quite a bit.

I disagree. Highlights in hair and cell phones were not common when I grew up - for anyone.

I was born in 1966 - and I remember young "crushes" and discussions about boys. We didn't have cell phones or highlighted hair. We probably had the discussions while playing kickball, hide and go seek, and 4 square.

As a matter of fact, the students I posted match the profile all *play* during recess.

You can't assume the children involved don't play, have excessive mature drama (which is an oxy moron).

Well, I think I am guilty of responding with regards to what I have seen of 4th grade girls (and younger) here, not simply to this list of three items. Somewhat of a rant has been playing out in my head since my time at the park. I'm thinking of my experiences with girls this age and I personally see an enormous difference in their behavior compared to when I was a child. Experiences differ, of course.

And LOL about the oxymoron because at no time did I use the word mature. I think quite the opposite, actually. They are playing at being mature.

I agree with Joanne that it is pretty typical for kids to have crushes or like someone, and talk to their friends about it that age.

My own girls have not been that way, so far, but it must be their dad's DNA, because I sure was.

Sadly.. I didn't even recognize my own niece in a photo recently. Not only is she always dolled up at the ripe old age of 11, she's had her hair bleached. I'm not sure what was wrong with her natural color but.. She's had a mobile since she was 7 or 8, you know because she has so many important people to call.

Yeah, there was even a time when she got a new phone & grandparentals on the same plan were bumped to waiting another six months for the phone they'd been waiting for. :glare:

Among the parents I know, mainly parents of friends of DS13 and DS11, such behaviour would be strongly disapproved of, even in a child quite a bit older than 10 yo. The general feeling seems to be that children should be protected from the pressures of 'teen culture' and advertising, and should be encouraged to enjoy being children for as long as possible. None of these parents homeschool.

Cassy

Among the parents I know, mainly parents of friends of DS13 and DS11, such behaviour would be strongly disapproved of, even in a child quite a bit older than 10 yo. The general feeling seems to be that children should be protected from the pressures of 'teen culture' and advertising, and should be encouraged to enjoy being children for as long as possible. None of these parents homeschool.

Cassy

:iagree:

Well, here girls that age will sometimes get temporary colorful highlights- like pink for breast cancer awareness, green for Saint Patrick's Day etc. The colors can last for months as they go to a place that does it.

It is common to have phones with unlimited texting and talk if they just get added to a family plan with their parents, and their parents want them to have a phone so they can get in touch with each other. My 11 y/o has a phone (and she chats and texts her friends on it, although not nonstop or anything) because she's reached an age where she leaves our block to go play at the playground etc, and I want her to always be able to get in touch with me, and I want to always be able to touch base with her. I choose who goes in her contact list that she can call or text.

And I can remember having my first crush on a boy in like 3rd or 4th grade even though I didn't "date" until I was in my teens.

Edited by NanceXToo

Not going to fly here! WOW! I have a 10 year old boy and while he has "asked" for a phone, because he sees other kids at church, etc. with them, there is no way, and no NEED for him to have a phone. Silly.

In regards to girls/dating...I think it is a normal "step" towards adulthood to start to look at the opposite sex in a different light...HOWEVER... in our household we have very healthy conversations that there is nothing wrong with finding someone "nice" or "attractive", etc. because that is how God inclined us to feel, however, until you are ready to be serious about finding your lifelong mate, there is no reason why you start to date. We've had these conversations since the boys could begin talking, age appropriately along the way. Serial dating as you grow up only leaves you with emotional baggage and a chance to practice at "mini" divorces. No longer "like" this girlfriend, I'll just break up with her and move on...

I once knew a guy whose 10 year old daughter had boyfriends that had involved pretty much everything except "going all the way." She chatted with them for hours online. Very, very disturbing.

When I was in school this stuff started up in 5th grade and I knew plenty of girls by 7th grade (age 12) who were having intercourse.

As far as highlights and other beautifying things, this can be a lot of fun for girls, and if I had the money to burn I would probably let my girls get highlights, nails done (tastefully) by age 12 or so.

The phone... an emergency phone is a good idea but I'd probably discourage heavy cell phone use in a young child as there might be a link to tumors.