Menu

Anyone ever heard of a "Trash the Wedding Dress Party"

In the "think it is appalling" camp here.

Me too. Mostly because I never thought of my wedding as an opportunity for me to try my hand at pretending to be some expensive fashion model. There's really no not vain way to view it. Either she is taking all these photos for herself or she really thinks everyone wants a bunch of pictures of herself in a fancy wedding dress posing on train tracks and swimming and what all else. Why? I can see her dh or her parents might want A nice photo of just her in her wedding dress. And usually a couple shots are taken at the wedding for that reason. But this whole idea to have an exotic or convoluted modeling session stuff? I don't get that at all.

But then again, I'm under no delusion that I'm some model in the making either. I generally hate having my photo taken.

I kept my dress. Had it cleaned and heirloomed in this cake box type thing. If none of my dd or future dils want to make use of it, then I'll have it cut into baptismal gowns or FHC dresses. If nothing else, by golly they can bury me in it! It'll probably still be the nicest thing I own when I die.:D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But did you look at the link? They weren't "nice photos". Most of them were awful. No artistic merit. Many of them weren't even original - jumping into a pool seems to be a common theme.

I think also the terminology points to the real point. If it were "action shots in my wedding dress," that would be one thing. But "trashing" is a very specific meaning.

Why not take photos of yourself smashing the diamond in your ring or melting down your ring? Or ripping the petals off your bouquet and then stomping on them? Having a food fight with the expensive, catered food? There is something destructive for the sake of destruction in trashing a gown that strikes me as a strange way to celebrate a marriage.

I also thought most of the pictures were a bit silly. And if everyone has a picture of themselves swimming in a pool in a dress or dripping paint on themselves or other random thing, it's not going to be unique!

I wish I could find the piece or the name of the woman who went around for a year or more in her bridesmaid dress. That struck me as interesting. She wasn't trying to ruin her dress, she was trying to wear it while doing all sorts of things in it.

ETA: Here is something from NPR from five years ago on this practice including a photo of a woman floating in a sludgy pond in her dress.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11256178

Edited by stripe

I will amend my opinion to say I think a genuine party of it, as in the entire wedding party, could be really fun. Many times the husband is never going to wear a white tux again (for example) and the bridesmaids and flower girls and so forth often have really nice dresses they won't wear again either.

Some pictures of wedding guests children playing hid and seek in the woods, the couple throwing the bouquet from a treehouse,....

Now those would be unique fun for everyone. I might be okay with that.

I still can't imagine the wasted outfits, but I'm weird that way. I also can't comprehend why anyone would want a large wedding party. A best man and a matron of honor and I was done. I didn't even have a flower girl or ring bearer and I didn't want any of that.

I saved my dress but gave it away on freecycle when I left my husband.

I wish I had cool photos though. We did the formal ones then paid hundreds for the dress to be cleaned and preserved and even if i had saved it there would be a high chance that my daughters would never wear it. Why have the clutter. Get the great photos done, keep them on display and be rid of the dress.

I think also the terminology points to the real point. If it were "action shots in my wedding dress," that would be one thing. But "trashing" is a very specific meaning.

Why not take photos of yourself smashing the diamond in your ring or melting down your ring? Or ripping the petals off your bouquet and then stomping on them? Having a food fight with the expensive, catered food? There is something destructive for the sake of destruction in trashing a gown that strikes me as a strange way to celebrate a marriage.

I also thought most of the pictures were a bit silly. And if everyone has a picture of themselves swimming in a pool in a dress or dripping paint on themselves or other random thing, it's not going to be unique!

I wish I could find the piece or the name of the woman who went around for a year or more in her bridesmaid dress. That struck me as interesting. She wasn't trying to ruin her dress, she was trying to wear it while doing all sorts of things in it.

ETA: Here is something from NPR from five years ago on this practice including a photo of a woman floating in a sludgy pond in her dress.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11256178

I was thinking the same thing... perhaps they should have picked a better name for this practice.

And I agree with others who said there doesn't seem to be much reason for having a modeling photo session other than to stroke someone's ego. I guess I'm just going to caulk it up to another example of our FaceBook nation where everyone craves attention of some kind.

Well, I am one who LOVES this!

There are some amazing trash the dress photos out there. Some I don't care for, but overall I love this tend.

I didn't trash my own wedding dress because it never occurred to me. But if I had thought of it, I would have done it at the beach. But I have been part of trashing dresses - it's amazing! It's so much fun. I have had my kids trash their flower girls/jr bridesmaids dresses with beach photos. We have trashed 5 now, and the photos are some of my favorites. I agree that name "trash the dress" doesn't really apply because we actually have never ruined a dress beyond repair.

One time, I had a surfer come up and offer me his board for photos! I love those photos. In fact, we used them as a Christmas card that year. After we were done, all of the outfits were cleaned, mended and donated. No permanent damage was done - they were dirty and some decorations came undone but they were in better condition than my niece's who didn't "trash" her dress. My niece just spilled on it during the reception and ruined it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Steph

"Trash the Dress" is just the name for wearing the dress in a situation that you normally wouldn't--without worrying about it, i.e., in the water at the beach. They don't light it on fire or cut it into ribbons with scissors or anything.

It's not something I would be interested in, but there are a lot of photography trends I don't like. I just don't think it's immoral or appalling that they paid for it and want to use it in an offbeat way.

:iagree: They should resell the dress or pass it on to someone who needs it. Surely there are tons of opportunities for beautiful shots of the bride that don't include destruction of the dress. I think I could understand it better if the couple were getting divorced and shots were being done out of vengence or something.

Looking at the shots in the link above all the pictures except the one in the sea could have been done without trashing the dress at all.

Here are some more pictures from a "trash the dress" shoot. I don't think that her dress is actually trashed, from the looks of the photos.

http://delsolphotography.com/blog/post-732/Trish-Suhr-Dave-McCoul-Trash-the-dress-Photos-by-del-Sol-photography

You don't have to ruin the dress to get a good Trash the Dress session. It really means shooting the bride or couple in their wedding attire in a setting where you wouldn't normally expect to find a wedding couple.

"Trash the Dress" is just the name for wearing the dress in a situation that you normally wouldn't--without worrying about it, i.e., in the water at the beach. They don't light it on fire or cut it into ribbons with scissors or anything.

It's not something I would be interested in, but there are a lot of photography trends I don't like. I just don't think it's immoral or appalling that they paid for it and want to use it in an offbeat way.

:iagree: Some women really do TRASH them, but isn't it her dress to do with as she pleases? I have a friend who wants to do a horror/zombie movie-type shoot with her wedding dress after she's done with it. She wants to have just a few "normal" wedding pictures and do most of her bridal pics in that theme. It's what suits them.

Meh. I'm appalled in a confused, "I don't get it????" manner.

Absolutely agree its their dress and they can trash it if they want to.

I'd even still talk to them and have them over for dinner.

Probably never loan them my clothes tho.....:D

Well I snipped mine up with scissors.

But not until a number of years later, in order to re-make it into a baptism dress for my daughter (in our church you have to be at least 8 years old to be baptized). She thought it was pretty special. My mother made the dress, and I thought it was really cool to have some of the intricate hand-work she did on the bodice preserved in a dress for dd. And the skirt definitely had enough yardage for a little girl dress. (Dd has asked me to save it for when she has daughters.)

My mom made her wedding dress into a baptism dress for me, and I thought it would be meaningful to make it a family tradition.

Okay, so there seem to be two categories: beach/nature/unusual setting photos, and actually destroying the dress. The name "trashing" implies the latter, but it seems many are just doing the former. I don't think that's anything original or cutting edge. :confused: I've seen pictures of brides on the beach, in a tree, in hubby's car, in the woods, etc. for decades. Why does it need a name, especially a not very fitting name? :lol:

I've thought about doing this - wear my wedding dress in some place where it will get irreparably dirty... I've seen some *beautiful* photos of trash the dress sessions - standing knee-deep in water, for example. :) I honestly don't think anyone else will want to wear my dress, and I don't really feel like it's worth storing just for someone to pull it out and look at it for five minutes every 20 or 40 years...It's really just taking up space...

I have heard of this. It's becoming more and more popular. The reason behind it is to get some really cool photographs of the bride in her dress, along with not saving her dress. It doesn't have to "trash" the dress. It's more for getting some fun photos of the bride in the dress. Here are some examples: http://newlyweds.about.com/od/afterthewedding/tp/trashthedress.htm

There are very few brides that wear their mother's or granddaughter's dress. Most brides want to purchase their own dress that is their style.

ETA: It's been interesting to read on this thread about all those that are disgusted by this and think the dress should be donated instead. However, the dress is the bride's to do with as she pleases. She is the one that bought and paid for it. Why should she donate it, if she doesn't want to? I still have my dress. I bought it and it's mine. I have the right to do with as I please and I didn't care to donate it, so someone else could buy it cheaply. Just as many on her don't understand the concept of some photos, I don't understand the mentality of passing my dress along to someone that is in "need" of it.

I disagree--my mom bought mine, and we bought our daughter's. I think it's disrespectful. Yes, it belongs to her, but I would be incredibly frustrated. If she wants to ruin her dress, get a $50 dress from Dress Barn and have at it.

Well, I am one who LOVES this!

There are some amazing trash the dress photos out there. Some I don't care for, but overall I love this tend.

:iagree:

Except for that swamp.... thing posted earlier. Ooks me out just to look at it. :ack2:

I'm with the group that hates the terminology, but could get behind the idea of getting some neat pictures of the dress.

I hate the "trash" part, because to me it symbolizes everything wrong with our society.

I would be equally offended by a "trash the couch" party or "trash the house" party or a "trash the car" party - or photography session, know what I mean?

I think we are a society so in need of learning to care, cherish, and preserve things - and to alter them and reuse them, too.

I'd love to see the advent of a custom in which women donated wedding dresses with the idea that they would be transformed into new, up-to-date wedding dresses for women by seamstresses who knew what they were doing. Heck - that would be such a fun business to be in, or non-profit idea. If you could collect hundreds of dresses and turn women loose on them who knew how to sew - either to give away the results or auction them off to help others, etc.

But you know what I really wish I had done while I still fit the dress? I wish I'd been able to set up a fancy-dress croquet party. For some reason the idea of lots of women in their wedding dresses and their husbands in tuxes playing croquet and drinking champagne sounds like fun.

I like the idea of making them into baptismal gowns. My daughter's (step) getting married on the beach, so her dress may be "trashed" unintentionally. She plans to wear it all day!

The year after I was married, I dyed my dress blue, added some black lace and ribbon, and wore it as a Southern Belle halloween costume! It was my dress, I made it myself, I certainly wasn't going to save it for 20 years in the hopes that my daughter (if I had one) might actually be the same size as me, or even want to wear it. I gave birth to 3 boys, so I was glad it wasn't taking up valuable closet space.

There are plenty of poor people who would very much like a free wedding dress if someone didn't want their old one. Not only is it wasteful to trash something like that, but I think it is selfish as well.

You didn't trash them. You recycled them for other uses. Very commendable.

So it is wasteful and selfish for the bride to wear the dress and let it be destroyed for pictures, but commendable to cut it up for children to destroy? I don't know, I don't get the big issue here.

Weddings are incredibly wasteful. Most women do not donate dresses afterward, for whatever reason. I suspect cleaning is one issue - if you don't clean a wedding dress usually yellow stains (from sweat, etc) will start showing up over time as it is stored. Having the dress professionally cleaned is pricey. Most women seem to save them forever and ever then pass them on to their kids who can't throw away "mom's wedding dress", etc. I love the idea of some kind of industry where people remake/rebuild dresses, but it doesn't exist right now, at least to my knowledge.

So that leaves us with the traditional options - keep it forever, cut it up to use for kids playthings, throw it out, etc. Or this "new" option to just wear it to have some fun model-y photos taken as the dress gets ruined. Frankly, I don't see how one is THAT MUCH more wasteful. If we really wanted to avoid wedding-dress waste, we should just go back to the days of getting married in whatever the nicest dress you already own is.

If someone is going to buy a dress to wear only once, why are we so invested in what they do after? I don't really care if people stick it in their closet, have pictures taken (admittedly, some of the pictures are weird, and many are unoriginal, but I don't see how that matters - they're not MY photos, I don't have to like them), cut them up for pillowcases, or use them to strain their coffee.

Funny dress-trashing story.

Oh and I have some awesome pics of my little girl destroying her flower girl dress last Easter. It was super muddy and she basically rolled and crawled in it. It was white satin dress with an overlay - very "bridal" looking. She was covered in mud from head to toe. It was well worth the dress for the fun she had.

Then I got the thing home and threw it in the washer (dry clean only, but I figured I couldn't make it any worse) and it came out clean, lol. She wore it to two more weddings that summer before it got retired to "play clothes".

Never seen it or heard of it. I find it a little sad. Women used to pull out their wedding dresses to show to their granddaughters. Shows how un-trendy I am!

I agree with you. What a waste. What's next...trash the baptism gown? Ick!

This doesn't bother me if this is what it is.

I knew this group would know the answer. I will fill in my parents on what it means. They were in the appalled group, so they will be glad to know not all "Trash the dress" parties actually trash the dress.

Thanks again.

A friend and I made my wedding dress. It has been in 4 different weddings. I guess it worked well, since all 4 marriages are still going strong after over 25 years.

I saved the extra fabric left from making the dress, even though I didn't know at the time what I would do with it. Turned out my mother used part of it to make a christening gown for my daughter. That was kind of special, having the same fabric my gown was made from being used for my child.

I find gown trashing very distasteful. Puts me in mind of something the people in the Capitol in the Hunger Games books would do. "I am going to trash this thing of beauty and value, just because I can and I want to do so." Regardless of the fact that there are some who can't afford a nice gown. Regardless of the fact that I paid a fortune for it and there are people who don't have enough money to feed their families.

Sure, it's each person's privilege to do whatever they want with their gowns. To me, however, trashing one's wedding gown says a lot about the bride's values. My dh is more sentimental than I am. He would have been heartbroken if I had disrespected the symbol of our wedding in such a manner.

My wedding dress was a $100 white prom dress and it ended up in the trash. I didnt even want that dress, I wanted to wear my grandmas but she wouldnt let me alter it (which i can understand, she didnt want it changed, but she was a size 2 and i was a size 7, it HAD to be changed if i was going to wear it!). I only threw mine away because my children wore my dads Baptismal gown, so they didnt need it and there was no way I was keeping a prom dress for 18+yrs. My girls can pick their own.

I dont know about Trashing Wedding Dresses. I mean if you have fun, why not...but dont go cutting holes and putting marker all over it. A Beach or woods, yeah, i get that.

Don't be too sure!

http://courtneyhelman.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/0021.jpg

I think the whole idea of trashing a wedding dress is incredibly wasteful:glare:

If they truly do not want the dress, then how about recycling it and donating the dress to the Salvation Army.

Honestly, I think many American wedding traditions are super wasteful and over the top. I think there are better ways for a new couple to spend their money and then spending tens of thousands on a wedding when a nice, respectful and simple wedding can be had for much, much less.

I think some of the pictures are really neat! I love unexpected pictures and the ones where you know the images mean something to the wearer. To me, these pictures represent the person wearing them more than the traditional wedding pictures. You can see what the person feels is beautiful, whether it be a train, swamp, romp in the forest, pool or ocean.

The contrast between the stark white, perfect dress and the grungy real world makes for interesting photos.

People don't think anything of spending hundreds or thousands on food, drinks and wedding cake just to eat it....why is the dress any different?

It is just some cloth stitched together...that is it. Just a dress. If the bride wants to get some unusual photos...why should anyone else care?

To me, it isn't about being a 'fashion model'. It is about capturing something the bride thinks is interesting or beautiful. I see it as art both on the brides planning and the photographer, not glamour shots.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I think the whole idea of trashing a wedding dress is incredibly wasteful:glare:

If they truly do not want the dress, then how about recycling it and donating the dress to the Salvation Army.

Honestly, I think many American wedding traditions are super wasteful and over the top. I think there are better ways for a new couple to spend their money and then spending tens of thousands on a wedding when a nice, respectful and simple wedding can be had for much, much less.

What if they truly wanted the dress? To stick in their closet in a sealed box for the next 50 years? (This seems to be the most common thing to do with your dress) Is that ok? How is that less wasteful? If they "trash" the dress they get cool pics, some fun memories, and a bunch of closet space back. If they get it cleaned and preserved they get a cool-to-them cleaned and preserved dress that they can store and show off sometimes. If they have a "trash the dress" photo session they get some cool-to-them photos that they get to show off sometimes.

Why are we only comparing trashing the dress to donating it in terms of wastefulness? Most brides do not donate their dresses. Most keep them as a keepsake. I have no problem with that, but I don't see how you can say storing the dress is so incredibly less wasteful than trashing it. Maybe someone will wear it someday, but probably not. A baptismal gown sounds great, but lots of brides know that they aren't going to need one of those...

Buying an enormous dress to be worn once is wasteful. I can agree with that. But it is wasteful even if you keep the thing in your closet for the next 50 years as a keepsake or something to show off to your grandchildren. The trashing it part is not really all that wasteful. It's the buying it in the first place.

Also, I've worked at a goodwill. Most of the wedding or prom dresses sold there are being used for Halloween costumes or zombie costumes or some other such. These are not going to poor brides who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a dress. I can totally understand why someone who spent hundreds or thousands on a dress would rather have cool pics than donate their dress to be used in someone elses zombie-bride costume.

All I have to say is that it's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who never got around to getting the dress cleaned after the wedding!:leaving:

I didn't get mine cleaned either, and after six years it was pretty much ruined. I put it in a couple garage sales last year for $10, and no one even looked twice. I just folded it up and put it in the trash can, no photos required.

Then again, I sort of regret having a real wedding. If DH and I could do it over again, we would have eloped sooner, kept it private and not told family, and not bought a wedding dress in the first place.

:iagree:I've heard of it and I find it very distasteful. Have we become so spoiled and self centered that we can buy an expensive and beautiful item to use one time and, instead of passing it on to someone else who would really appreciate it, ruin it just for fun? It goes against everything I've tried to teach my children about environmental stewardship, money management, charity, and thankfulness.

Me too. Mostly because I never thought of my wedding as an opportunity for me to try my hand at pretending to be some expensive fashion model. There's really no not vain way to view it. Either she is taking all these photos for herself or she really thinks everyone wants a bunch of pictures of herself in a fancy wedding dress posing on train tracks and swimming and what all else. Why? I can see her dh or her parents might want A nice photo of just her in her wedding dress. And usually a couple shots are taken at the wedding for that reason. But this whole idea to have an exotic or convoluted modeling session stuff? I don't get that at all.

But then again, I'm under no delusion that I'm some model in the making either. I generally hate having my photo taken.

I kept my dress. Had it cleaned and heirloomed in this cake box type thing. If none of my dd or future dils want to make use of it, then I'll have it cut into baptismal gowns or FHC dresses. If nothing else, by golly they can bury me in it! It'll probably still be the nicest thing I own when I die.:D

:iagree:But I find huge weddings distasteful in general.

A friend and I made my wedding dress. It has been in 4 different weddings. I guess it worked well, since all 4 marriages are still going strong after over 25 years.

I saved the extra fabric left from making the dress, even though I didn't know at the time what I would do with it. Turned out my mother used part of it to make a christening gown for my daughter. That was kind of special, having the same fabric my gown was made from being used for my child.

I find gown trashing very distasteful. Puts me in mind of something the people in the Capitol in the Hunger Games books would do. "I am going to trash this thing of beauty and value, just because I can and I want to do so." Regardless of the fact that there are some who can't afford a nice gown. Regardless of the fact that I paid a fortune for it and there are people who don't have enough money to feed their families.

Sure, it's each person's privilege to do whatever they want with their gowns. To me, however, trashing one's wedding gown says a lot about the bride's values. My dh is more sentimental than I am. He would have been heartbroken if I had disrespected the symbol of our wedding in such a manner.

:iagree:But I find huge weddings distasteful in general.

:iagree: I agree with much of the sentiment above. We are all free to do as we which. However, this prevailing idea that anything one wants to do is somehow good as long as it doesn't effect anyone else is one I don't agree with at all. I strive and hope to teach my children virtues, things like humility, temperance and charity. I think that it certainly seems that the idea behind many weddings and wedding practices these days strive to be just the opposite of those things.

I thought some of the pictures were nice, but the idea of trashing the dress just because smacks of spoiledness. Just as these big weddings everyone has to have regardless if they can really afford it or not. I think also while it is important to celebrate the wedding and everyone wants nice picture one needs to be careful about vanity as well.

I think our culture could do well to focus more on putting our energy towards things that are lasting benefit towards marriages and a little less on how to make one big "experience" for others to adore in wonder.

i've never heard of such a thing! it sounds totally appalling but when i googled it and looked at the pictures, they are quite beautiful. from what i gather, it's just taking pictures in a way that would normally never be done in one's wedding dress. there were some beautiful underwater shots of the bride & groom that i saw. and water of course, plus sand, etc. will definitely trash a dress. so the name is weirdly fitting i suppose.

• 5 months later...
My parents recently went on a cruise where they watched a bride & groom taking pictures on the beach. The wedding dress' train was messed up by the sand/water. I guess in the discussion of this, someone on the cruise mentioned it was okay, because now the big thing is to have a "trash the wedding dress party" a few days after the wedding. My parents were aghast at the thought.

Anybody ever heard of something like this? My guess is that if there is such a trend, the Hive will know about it.

Thanks

I've never heard of it, however a few people at my reception were shocked I was holding my dog because she might get my dress dirty.

I was thinking to myself;

who cares, the wedding is over,

I will never wear this dress again,

except MAYBE as a Halloween costume (Frankenstein's Bride)

If I have a daughter she will want her own dress,

not my old out dated thing

I will be having it cleaned/packaged up for storage anyhow

and last but not least,

my freshly groomed dog is far more important

then some silly bit of material.

The love at the wedding is more important then the flowers, cake, dress, limo, etc...keep it real and keep the important stuff up front. FAMILY, FRIENDS & LOVE

I remember reading about a bride who died a few months ago trashing her dress. It was in Canada, I think, and she was swimming in the dress. It got too heavy and pulled her under. I couldn't believe someone lost her life for a cool wedding pic.

As long as you are being safe with your pictures, I don't have a problem with trashing the dress pics. It's yours; do what you want with it. Most people take some pics and then throw theirs in a box for decades. Is that really so different than taking traditional pics, some untraditional ones, and then throwing the unusable dress out? I also do not understand why cutting a dress up years later is ok, but trashing the dress immediately is not. If the bride trashed the dress 20 years later, would that be ok?

I think I'd rather show the awesome pictures to my granddaughters than the actual dress. I still have my dress in a closet ... I never got it cleaned after the wedding, so I'm almost afraid to open the bag. I'm tempted, though. It could be fun to do a vow renewal followed by a dress-trashing photoshoot on a beach somewhere for our tenth anniversary.

It's a gorgeous dress, but I don't have any daughters, and even if I did, what are the odds they'd want to wear my dress, or that it would fit? I don't know what I'm saving it for other than knowing it's there in my closet if I want to see it.

I've seen fabric from an old wedding dress used to make ringbearer pillows, a cover for a Bible used in the ceremony, flower girl dresses, etc.

I'm planning on having a trash the dress photo session for our 20th wedding anniversary in a few years. It will be Hubby and I in a beautiful outdoor location. Heck, we might even include the kids! (This is assuming I lose enough weight to fit back ino it. :tongue_smilie:)

My favorite memory of our wedding day was the impromptu carriage ride we took through downtown after we left our reception. It was so much fun wearing our ĂƒÂ¼ber fancy clothes out on the town late at night. It was magical. :001_wub:

My Dd is never going to wear my dress, and my kids are too old to make christening gowns. If the dress is still in decent shape after the photo shoot I might consider having it turned into a pillow, or incorporated into a quilt. Either way, it's been sitting in a box in my closet all these years, taking up space. I'd much rather make fun new memories with it (or out of it) than have it sit in a box until I die.

Edited by photojenic

I think some of the pictures are nice, but it seems like such a waste.

I hadn't heard of this either so went off to google it. The second link I clicked was a story about a bride that was drowned by jumping in a river with her long, heavy dress on. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/bride-drowns-during-trash-the-dress-photo-shoot-after-wedding-dress-drags-her-under-water/ How absolutely sad.