Menu

s/o What is your spouse's highest level of education?

What is the highest level of education your spouse has completed?  

1. 1. What is the highest level of education your spouse has completed?

• High School
    • Some College
    • Bachelor's Degree
    • Multiple Bachelors' Degrees
    • Master's Degree
    • Multiple Masters' Degrees
    • Doctorate
    • Multiple Doctorate Degrees
    • Vocational School
    • Other

Dh baaaaaarely squeaked out highschool. As in, he did his senior year at an 'alternative' highschool. His dd was born 2 months after he graduated. He's never been to college.

Which is kinda hilarious, 'cause the man is something of a genius in his field. People just assume he has a degree. And he's very blessed to have both the job he has, as well as the reputation he has in his line of work.

an 3-yr school and internship after hs to become an electrician. 20-something years later, the family company has evolved into computerized control systems and he has trained via short schools to do what equates to the applications engineering side of the business, along with job bidding.

It is a company started by his father though, so he and his brother actually now co-own it, though he still performs his normal job duties along with his new ones.

No spouse here.

It would be interesting to see a poll on total number of post-high school education years between the parents in the household.

Maybe I should learn how to make a poll, if I can . . . .

ETA: Too bad, I can't figure the poll thing out - I assume I don't have rights.

Edited by SKL

My husband is 4 credits short of his AA, but he quit attending college to join the apprenticeship. He turned out after five years of school/ job training and has been a journeyman electrician for 6 years now. So, total, he has 7 years of school, but no degree. :) He is a brilliant man who seriously dislikes schoolwork. He is at the top of his field and they ask for him by name on jobs. I'm proud. :)

Bachelor's Degree, but he has studied for and taken exams as part of continuing education within the insurance industry (he is currently a business systems analyst, prior to that he was an actuary). Completing various series of exams gives him designations within the industry (and pay bonuses and raises!).

One series of exams awards the designation at a ceremony in a different city each year. The date the last exam is finished determines which ceremony/city you are eligible to attend. Dh timed the completion of his exams so he would be eligible when the ceremony was held in Honolulu in 2007. The company paid for our airfare, hotel & food during the 5 day conference. We chose to stay 4 days longer, so we were responsible for our expenses for those 4 days, but our return flight was paid for.

My DH is a big believer in double-majoring in something marketable and something interesting. He has two bachelor's (electrical engineering and history) and two master's (business administration and public policy). If we win the big Mega Millions jackpot he'd go back for his PhD. in either history or government.

Dh has a bit of college. He ended up at a party school and went home the middle of his second year to work on the family farm. He eventually ended up a firefighter then a deputy. That is when I met him. Since then he has gone into federal LE and has had more than enough additional training and education to have a degree. But, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. He is qualified to teach others in several areas.

Edited by Parrothead

I voted "other." DH has a bachelor's degree, and then he completed an additional two-year program in his field. It's probably equivalent to a master's degree but without the thesis, and it's not actually called a master's, just a certificate. But "vocational school" doesn't quite qualify it either.

Why don't you have an option for trade?

Why do people always look down on trade qualifications?

My DH is a tool & die maker

I agree, I think it could have been put in with vocational school.

Where I live, the trades are not looked down upon at all. There's plenty of tool and die shops 'round here. :001_smile: I'd be more than fine with my boys learning a trade.

DH is ABD in his Master's degree in Philosophy, so I was kind and marked him as already completing it. Due to work and family obligations, he likely won't officially graduate from the program for another year.

In another life, he dreams of continuing on to get his Ph.D, and/or his Master's in Psychology or Counseling. But, no more school right now.

No spouse here.

It would be interesting to see a poll on total number of post-high school education years between the parents in the household.

Maybe I should learn how to make a poll, if I can . . . .

ETA: Too bad, I can't figure the poll thing out - I assume I don't have rights.

Maybe but for us it would be skewed. We both worked while we went to school so we weren't typical or efficient. :001_smile: I have 2.5 years done and DH attended post-secondary school for almost 14 years after high school. (MBA and multiple Master's) but together that would be 16.5 years of school, lol.

Why don't you have an option for trade?

Why do people always look down on trade qualifications?

My DH is a tool & die maker

I only duplicated the post it was spun from. I don't think anyone would look down on learning a trade, would they? :grouphug: To me it is very much like an apprenticeship and very worthwhile.

ETA: The reason I posted the poll: I was curious to see what the stats looked like in comparison to the mama stats. My reasoning was an overwhelming majority of the DH's probably have post secondary education if they have stay at home wives. I was curious to see if I was right.

Edited by BlsdMama

I have a higher degree than my dh. ;) His income and earning potential, however, are substantially greater than mine. :tongue_smilie:

We're flipped on that. Or, more accurately, *were*, pre-twins.

My husband has a MS from Hopkins. He's a firefighter/paramedic.

I have a HS diploma and a random assortment of college (no degree) and my former career was as a software engineer.