How do you like your grapefruit?

How do you eat grapefruit?  

1. 1. How do you eat grapefruit?

• Cut in half, sprinkled with salt
    • Cut in half, sprinkled with sugar
    • Cut in half, plain
    • Peeled like an orange
    • Some other way--please elaborate!

I’ve never heard of putting salt on grapefruit. :ack2: (I hate salt!) I never eat grapefruit nowadays. I gave up sugar, and grapefruit was something that I would literally pile sugar on. I think I probably used 6-8 teaspoons for a whole grapefruit. (Also why I rarely drink coffee:tongue_smilie:) I’ll have to get dh to try it with salt. Sounds like something he would like.

For me, cut in half and sprinkled with sugar. Just a little, probably less than a teaspoon. Dh prefers it cut it half, drizzled with honey. I voted for my preference, but neither of us has eaten grapefruit in many years now. I think we stopped when we found out it could interfere with one of dh's meds. (Can't remember which med it was, though.)

I put a little honey on mine. Sometimes stevia if I really want to avoid the calories, but rarely anymore. Never plain.

Salt? I'm intrigued. I like cantaloupe with salt. My mom always eats tomato slices with salt, but my dad always put sugar on them.

I can't imagine tomato slices with sugar, but then I can't imagine grapefruit with sugar either--just seems wrong, I don't identify either as a sweet food; in fact when I come across a naturally sweet grapefruit I don't like it. Grapefruit plain tastes dull to me, it's way better with salt; I can eat tomato either plain or with salt. Never tried cantaloupe with salt, but my mom liked to sprinkle salt on green apples.

Normally, cut in half and sprinkled with white sugar, but also cut in half and sprinkled with brown sugar and broiled. My husband and son both like it with salt. They say it cuts down the bitterness or something. I say it cuts down the edibility :tongue_smilie: (that is a gag smilie)

Squeezed and spiked. :D

Does this mean what I think it means? :cheers2: If so, care to share a recipe? I LOVELOVELOVE grapefruit and tried to make grapefruit cocktails, but -UGH- they were not good.:ack2:

To answer the OP: I only eat it cut in half, plain. (But I eat both halves in one sitting. YUM!)

I grew up eating it with salt too. These days I'm just as likely to peel it like an orange and eat the sections (except I usually pull the membrane off the outside of the sections because it's tougher than an orange). I keep meaning to try it with sugar, but either I forget or I'm just craving that salty grapefruit flavor.

Maybe I should have said other. I voted peeled like an orange but I actually pull off the bitter hard to chew membrane and pile the fruit section in a bowl and then eat it plain without sugar. or with cottage cheese=)

My whole family eats them like that. I peel them most of the time.

I grew up eating it with salt too. These days I'm just as likely to peel it like an orange and eat the sections (except I usually pull the membrane off the outside of the sections because it's tougher than an orange). I keep meaning to try it with sugar, but either I forget or I'm just craving that salty grapefruit flavor.

If I try to eat grapefruit with the membrane on it makes me sneeze. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just weird? Dark chocolate and strong licorice (like the salty kind you can get in Europe) make me sneeze too...something about the bitterness maybe???

Cut in half, sprinkled with sugar is the way normal people eat it. ;)

:iagree: I very rarely eat grapefruit, I think it has been years. Salt, really.:001_huh: :ack2:

Now I would never put sugar on a tomato, salt for sure there.:) They are not the same types of food in my mind. DH eats grapefruit plain and I think that is icky too!

I feel rather strongly that grapefruit ought to be eaten plain. I'd never even considered putting anything on it till I married my husband and he told me about the horrible things his family does to grapefruit. ;)

:lol: This was me and my husband, except it was rice they were desecrating. It was the one hill I swore I'd die on when it came to our kids LOL. They were going to grow up eating it right!

I've never tried grapefruit. Absolutely zero desire, and no opportunity that I can recall (other than buying it myself). Reading through this thread, I think if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to try one ... I'd do the cut in half, smothered in honey option. Honey fixes everything :D!

:lol: This was me and my husband, except it was rice they were desecrating. It was the one hill I swore I'd die on when it came to our kids LOL. They were going to grow up eating it right!

I've never tried grapefruit. Absolutely zero desire, and no opportunity that I can recall (other than buying it myself). Reading through this thread, I think if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to try one ... I'd do the cut in half, smothered in honey option. Honey fixes everything :D!

You don't know what you're missing! I once ate 10 grapefruit halves for breakfast...with salt.