Menu

Do you and your spouse/partner share the responsibilities of home education?

Do you and your spouse/partner share the responsibilities of home education?  

1. 1. Do you and your spouse/partner share the responsibilities of home education?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other option

My husband provides ALL of the financial support, and he is there for emotional support as well as practical guidance as needed. But if you mean direct teaching, then no, not yet. He's going to take over with math when she reaches Algebra. Other than that, it's always been, and will continue to be, me.

In what way..in its entirety? Then yes. In the day to day management and implementation? No.

I DO pull him in when we get to upper level stuff that I feel is beyond me. I also complain to him, and ask his advice when I'm having a problem. Otherwise, he pays all the bills and is 100% supportive.

Not really. He works to pay for everything I want to buy. He is the "principal" (he actually expelled my DSS for a while and signed him up for Connections when he was refusing to do what I assigned!) He couldn't teach our kids, he says it all the time. They require an excess of patience that he does not have!

Our situation changed in the last year where now I'm working to provide most of the income and my husband is doing table time with the kids in the mornings. I work from home, which is great. I can still be here even though I'm not available at times. I *love* that my commute is the time it takes me to walk from the living room to my "office" and I typically work for 1 to 1.5 hours at a time and then can take a break (I transcribe college and high school classes). It's working well for us, and my husband is doing better than I did at being consistent with table time.

No. He supports me, works hard so I can buy what I need, and acts as enforcement when needed. He's gone at work and works hard while there, so I don't see how he could do more then he does.

Well said. DH has his job, and I have mine. :001_smile: Of course, he provides enforcement when needed, listens to me when I want to discuss curriculum choices or any struggles the children may be having, and looks over some of the girls' work, etc. But, other than that, he trusts me to do my job and do it well. :D

Nope. It's all me, unless I specifically request assistance on something. Plus, I don't actually need his help with school since we are finished by the time he gets home.

ETA: And on further consideration, that's how I like it. :) I want control of the day to day work, the planning, the grading, etc. He's happy to let me do that, since he teaches for a living, and doesn't want to do it at home too.

Edited by Mamabegood

No. I am responsible for it.

I work outside the home, so I actually finance it as well. LOL

Dh covers the house expenses, but since he would do that whether or not we homeschooled, I don't consider that a 'homeschool responsibility'.

I voted no. Though I suppose we do ... the split is something like 85/15 or 90/10 though, so most of it falls to me. I've tried to get him more involved, but it doesn't usually work out. He was home sick on Monday and watched the dc's new Econ/Game Theory course with them, did the discussion questions, and then pulled out a board game that reinforced some of the concepts. I'm hoping to have him keep that up, but realistically, he might get through it with them by July of '13.

Now, yes. When the kids were younger, I had all the responsibility of choosing and implementing curriculum, creating and following schedules (haha), and planning field trips.

Now that the kids are in high school, DH does a great deal with them. We would be lost without his help.

I said no and that is true for now. My dh is supportive and as others have said, he works hard for us. However, when dd gets older he will share the responsibilities because there are going to be some subjects that he can teach my dd far better than I can.

My husband provides ALL of the financial support, and he is there for emotional support as well as practical guidance as needed. But if you mean direct teaching, then no, not yet. He's going to take over with math when she reaches Algebra. Other than that, it's always been, and will continue to be, me.

This....

Same in our house! :D

My husband has no trouble jumping into what we are working (it's only elementary after all), assuming I'm willing to relinquish any degree of control. ;) Really though, he is just as capable of listening to a passage or counting coins as I am. And the world won't end if he doesn't do everything exactly as I would. (Still convincing myself of that, so don't disillusion me.) Can you tell I'm working on overcoming my need for control? :lol: I do most of the daily work and planning right now, and he hops in if we are doing something and he is home.

High school level math is definitely going to be my thing, which looks like an unusual position. My husband is frighteningly good with any kind of arithmetic, but he is uncomfortable going much past algebra. He has been forbidden from ever mentioning that in front of our children. :D If we hit creative writing, I am leaving that all up to him. I can do it, but I don't know how that actually happens. I get the impression we will need to find a compromise for what we study for history in high school. We both have such grand plans. :tongue_smilie:

If you mean teaching, no. He works very hard to provide the financial support and security so I can stay without worry. There are days I think I have the harder job; then there are days I think I have it pretty dang easy. I can't begin to express how much I appreciate his hard work so I can stay home with our children.

I said no, because I do all the sitdown, academic stuff. Hubby (sorry those who hate that word, but it is what I call him even in real life) takes kiddo to hs gym and teaches the swim class there. He also takes kiddo on field trips I research, arrange, and map out, e.g. the symphony, star-gazing, the aquarium, geological formations, history museums. Some of these trips are 3 weeks long. He also teaches him fix-it and carpentry skills, as well as skiing/kayaking/ someday sailing.

No. He supports me, works hard so I can buy what I need, and acts as enforcement when needed. He's gone at work and works hard while there, so I don't see how he could do more then he does.

:iagree: He works 60+ hours per week for his employer, earning money so I can stay home and homeschool our kids. I discuss things with him. He supports me and funds our endeavors. He is not involved in the day-to-day practicalities of homeschooling.

I do all the planning and the majority of the teaching. But it feels funny to me to say "no" so simply because he contributes so much to our homeschooling in so many little ways - not just financially, but emotionally and in creating a sense that our whole family is a homeschooling family. So I picked other.

My sweetheart works out of the house but when he comes home he sometimes tutors Latin for our oldest if he doesn't get the day's lesson and teaches the older three violin and guitar and also Oral Law (Mishnah) to the older two boys. If he is telecommuting then he steps up for some more teaching duties as well. I thank G-d for him everyday.

:lol: if we're not finished by the time he gets home, we're not GOING to finish that day. I do all of the homeschooling. He is the one who helps with chemistry homework and higher math classes because he's the mathematician and actually remembers all of the chemistry. Since those classes are outsourced, im not sure they count as homeschooling. I'm happier in K-8 Land :)

We do share the responsibilities. Besides 100% financial and emotional support, dh does math from 7th or 8th until they start at the cc and science in 7th and 8th. He also checks their work if I haven't finished it all by the time he comes home (usually 4:30).

I think he really likes being that involved, but is glad he isn't here all day!

This week's question is: Do you and your spouse/partner share the responsibilities of home educating your child/children?

:)

I voted Other. I do all of the teaching. Dh has been fully supportive, financially, emotionally, and ensuring I have time to peruse, plan and prep. Best of all, he listens to my curriculum musings without comment. :D I consider us to share all of the responsibilities, but we have different duties to see it through.

Gods bless him he tried the other day when I was ill. He has a new-found respect for what it takes to teach. He thought it was open the teacher's manual, read the paragraph, and the kids get it because that's how he interpreted what he saw when he's home during school. He taught a couple of subjects and then declared they were having nature walks every day until I got better. :lol:

He works a crazy schedule so I can stay home and do this. He never complains about me buying new curricula. His answer to me ripping through inkjet cartridges was to buy me a laser printer. He has a gift with time management so when I need help figuring out how to schedule everything he listens to my challenges and makes extremely helpful suggestions. (Last time he was home he cut my schooling time by an average of 2 hours a day!!) When I am stressed and doubting myself, he makes sure I realize that virtually everything those bright little creatures know they know because of I took the time to teach them or find resources for them to explore their interests. He will let me bounce curricula debates off of him endlessly, but he puts his foot down on the idea of price being in consideration other than can we afford it without doing without necessities. He wants the best for our kids, too. His role is different, but he said he had none of the responsibility for actually homeschooling. He is here for moral support, and he seriously underestimates the importance of that.

In what way..in its entirety? Then yes. In the day to day management and implementation? No.

I DO pull him in when we get to upper level stuff that I feel is beyond me. I also complain to him, and ask his advice when I'm having a problem. Otherwise, he pays all the bills and is 100% supportive.

Not really. He works to pay for everything I want to buy. He is the "principal" (he actually expelled my DSS for a while and signed him up for Connections when he was refusing to do what I assigned!) He couldn't teach our kids, he says it all the time. They require an excess of patience that he does not have!

He pays for it. I do it. So, yes we share.

What they said. :D

Yes we share,

He provides 100% of the financial side and allowing me to be at home to implement.

I research curriculum, and then he helps me go over the pros and cons of each, and then make the final choice.

He is in charge of Math and Science. He has actually done the research for next years science curriculum and picked it out. He is going to do the lesson plans and then We will implement it together.

I get the work ready and supervise, and teach all subject save Math and Science. He grades all independent work and goes over mistakes.

DS will call dh at work with Math problems, they have even skyped over it. He is lucky that work is really flexible and they don't might countless calls from home during the day.

He has even started having an interest in the Hive. He is pretty wonderful, we even share cooking responsibilities.

I voted other because we sorta share responsibilities.

I chose the curriculum, do the teaching, and write up a plan for the day/days I work and he watches dd while she does her work on those days and helps if she asks. (She's fairly independent with the work I give her those days because it is usually about information she's learned the days I don't work or material she can read and answer questions about.)

Both my husband and I work, but both out of houses - I work out of our house and my husband out of his business partner's house. This has allowed us great flexibility in HSing. I have chosen all the curriculum except science and teach our son Mon, Wed, and Fri. My husband takes our son to work with him and teaches Tue and Thur. Some subjects I do and some he does and some we both do. For our son, it gives him variety and two parents who look forward to their days with him.

:iagree: When my dh happen to have a weekday off due to working a weekend day he will jump right into the swing of school things with the kids and help where he can if he see's I'm a bit overwhelmed with 3 kids pulling me in all directions. That's been a new thing just this year. Prior to this year he stayed completely away from our schooling day and hid in the bedroom with his video games until we were done. Now that's not the case anymore. I think after doing this for 5 years he's convinced I'm still going to do it and not just go through a "phase". :lol: