Menu

Big announcement: I am probably turning into Laura in....

Scotland! DH is being offered a transfer to the head office of his company. We expect to get the final details in the next few days.

I've spent most of the last twenty-three years in Asia; DH came earlier (1979) but has had more gaps. We are feeling like moving back to the West. It won't be 'going home' for any of us (I'm English, DH is Texan), so we are expecting to have a lot to deal with, but it's a direction that we feel is right for us all now.

We talked to the boys about it today. They of course have doubts - they remember nothing but Asia - but they very much like the idea of a house of our own, a car, a dog, a garden. They have no experience of any of those things.

If this goes through, we will be moving in early August. It's going to be a busy time: packing up our China flat (preparing it for my sister to move into) and clearing out our rented place in Hong Kong.

Wish me well. This may be quite a ride. This is the area we are looking to go to.

Laura

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH NO!!!! :willy_nilly: This is disturbing news, what will you do about your posting name? Will the admins change it for you? How can we go around calling you Laura in China if you are not in China? I am very worried about this.

Scotland sounds wonderful! Think of the field trips you can take there!

Congrats, Laura in Transit!

What wonderful life experiences you're offering your children. Scotland is practically home for you :) (Texas it is not, though. Add a "Ye-haw!" for effect and then it'll be home.) I have a good friend who's lived in many countries (India, Argentina, USA, UK, etc) and her best times with family are Scotland and Ireland.

Can't wait to hear details as the time nears.

Scotland! DH is being offered a transfer to the head office of his company. We expect to get the final details in the next few days.

I've spent most of the last twenty-three years in Asia; DH came earlier (1979) but has had more gaps. We are feeling like moving back to the West. It won't be 'going home' for any of us (I'm English, DH is Texan), so we are expecting to have a lot to deal with, but it's a direction that we feel is right for us all now.

We talked to the boys about it today. They of course have doubts - they remember nothing but Asia - but they very much like the idea of a house of our own, a car, a dog, a garden. They have no experience of any of those things.

If this goes through, we will be moving in early August. It's going to be a busy time: packing up our China flat (preparing it for my sister to move into) and clearing out our rented place in Hong Kong.

Wish me well. This may be quite a ride. This is the area we are looking to go to.

Laura

Lucky you! How totally fun!:)

From Colleen in New Scotland ;)

Oh Laura! I'm sure that you've been, being that you're British, but I fell in love with Scotland last year. The very northern most part of is gorgeous. My daughter and I took a day trip to the Orkney Islands, and they were amazing! I imagine that the weather will take some getting used to, but I'm sure that you'll love it! Enjoy!

--Dawn

How exciting for you and your family! I did not realize that your sister was also in China too.

If your DH wants some chips and salsa just let some of us Texans know and we will ship him some for the trip! Seriously I hope all goes smoothly for you, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

How exciting for you and your family! I did not realize that your sister was also in China too.

She got the China bug and is coming back to study with her boyfriend. It just so happens that we have the flat free for them when they arrive.

Laura

Oh Laura! I'm sure that you've been, being that you're British, but I fell in love with Scotland last year. The very northern most part of is gorgeous. My daughter and I took a day trip to the Orkney Islands, and they were amazing! I imagine that the weather will take some getting used to, but I'm sure that you'll love it! Enjoy!

--Dawn

I visited Glasgow over twenty-five years ago and Edinburgh more recently. DH just spent a couple of weeks at head office and took lots of photos in the countryside around. I'll try to put together a slide show for my blog.

Weather... well, I've spent the evening on Lands' End overstocks getting us all kitted out: parkas, flannel sheets, comforters....

Laura

We have friends who have just come back from a year in St Andrews and they loved it. They were on a year's rotation with our company. They are looking hard at other jobs to be able to go back. It's a beautiful area.

All the best and good luck for the planning and packing phase ahead!

I have loved reading your messages and blog entries on life in China, so shall look forward to the next location.

Now, Scotland. Part of Britain, right? And didn't you say you are English? So it isn't even a little bit like "going home?":001_smile:

Happy trails!