Menu

Big announcement: I am probably turning into Laura in....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity for your family. I have often wished we could live all over the world.

I have friends who relocated to Scotland (Glasgow area) about three years ago. She is American; he is British. Part of why they chose Scotland is they feel it is friendlier, more relaxed. Aside from the fact that it is a culinary wasteland, we found it to be a truly lovely place when we visited.

Keep us posted--I am interested to hear all the details.

Congratulations on the move!

If you haven't already read them, check out Alexander McCall Smith's Scottish books. There's the Isabel Dalhousie series and the 44 Scotland Street books. They're set in Edinburgh, but they may help you get in the Scottish groove.

I have loved reading your messages and blog entries on life in China, so shall look forward to the next location.

Now, Scotland. Part of Britain, right? And didn't you say you are English? So it isn't even a little bit like "going home?":001_smile:

Happy trails!

But it's culturally quite different. I look forward to learning a lot.

Laura

Holy cow! You lucky lady, you. Congrats!

Field trip to Laura's! September-ish? You think you'll be moved in by then? :D

Sure..... well, actually we'll be in temporary accommodation at that point, trying to work out which was is up.

Laura

Laura soon to be in Scottland,

CONGRATS!!!!!!! We will share weather woes! :D I am so excited for you and your family. When we lived in Ireland I wanted so badly to get to Scottland and the UK but we never made it that far. Maybe on our next stop......

Pam, sign me up! Septemberish??? I will clear our calendar. :auto:

:cheers2: Here's a Chai Latte to keep us warm and to keep you up for all that packing.

Scotland sounds like an exciting place to be, Mary, Queen of Scots, William Wallace..........history, history

I loved every minute when I was in Great Britain. What a change though! It'll be such an experience for your boys, kids adjust fast.

Just show them all the cool pictures of the highlands, the ocean, the cliffs, aaaaahhhhhhh.

:)

How thrilling!!! Just when I think you can't get any cooler - Scotland! You're moving to Scotland!

I'm pretty sure you're going to need someone to do housework and gardening and such for you. I'll report for duty Sept. 1! (these kids won't miss me, they'll be fine).

Actually, there's a section of dh's tribe (sorry, clan) going in late August. They can just drop me off. :D

I'm overjoyed for you, Laura! I'm sure you'll make the transition with ease. What a wonderful experience for your boys.

Thanks! We can commiserate about the weather, but I think I win (lose) on shortest day in midwinter.

Come on over. We'll find you a bed. With the dog if there's nowhere else ....

Off to buy a spare pair of glasses. I have to get used to driving every day, for the first time in over ten years.

Laura

Hopefully this will move you a bit closer to family. :)

It's still a six-hour train ride to my mother's place, but it's a lot cheaper than flying across the world. Calvin needs to start paying full fare for plane tickets from Christmas onwards, so this is a good time to cut back on the intercontinental travel. We still need to see the other side of the family though.

Laura

Laura:

I just found this thread! I'm really excited for you! A great opportunity. I'm moving across TOWN and freaking out, so I wish you the best in the packing/moving department! We look forward to following your adventures.

Laura in Scotland has a nice ring to it! I have a cyber friend in Scotland I keep thinking "someday" I'll visit...what a beautiful place....

I'm pretty sure you're going to need someone to do housework and gardening and such for you. I'll report for duty Sept. 1! (these kids won't miss me, they'll be fine).

I haven't coped without household help in eleven years, so that actually might be the biggest shock.

Laura

How thrilling!!! Just when I think you can't get any cooler - Scotland! You're moving to Scotland!

:D My thoughts exactly! I was reading the message, thinking wow-Laura in China is so, so cool!

My husband and I loved driving through the area when we last visited Scotland. So beautiful!

I'm actually envious (is there a little green eyed monster emoticon?). We've often talked about packing it all in and moving to Scotland. We have friends who live on the Isle of Harris and they keep trying to talk us into moving there. Oh, if only....

Congratulations again and :cheers2: !!

Children do adapt so quickly, and there is so much to explore in this world - you're all going to have an amazing time of it. And honestly, if a Brit and a Texan can find home-sweet-home in China, then a segue into Scotland should just round out the adventure beautifully, right? ;)

Now, you are boning up on your photography skills, right??? *ahem* Because you've GOT to keep us updated with photos galore when you get there. :D

Dy

Children do adapt so quickly, and there is so much to explore in this world - you're all going to have an amazing time of it. And honestly, if a Brit and a Texan can find home-sweet-home in China, then a segue into Scotland should just round out the adventure beautifully, right? ;)Dy

:iagree:

Good luck & good wishes! You'll have a busy few months, but I'm sure the short-term upheaval will be well worth the trouble.

Sounds like you are leaving one beautiful place for another....

Wow! That's coming up fast!

Good luck to you in your upcoming adventures!

It sounds exhilarating. And you'll get to Scotland in time to plant some perennials & bulbs. :)

And a little dog with a plaid winter sweater would be charming.

Best wishes

I love snowdrops, and I think it will brighten our (dark) spring to see the ground coming to life. I suspect serious planning (perennials) might need to wait until the following year.

Plans depend on our managing to buy a house in the first couple of months though. We are hoping that the slow housing market will work in our favour: sellers will be happy to see a buyer without a 'chain' (their own property to sell) and will come to reasonable terms.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Laura

Wow, I just found this thread. How EXCITING! I spent 4 weeks in Scotland when I was single and LOVED it. Your bodies will adjust to the climate, especially if you learn to enjoy the outdoors there. The culture is very different from that of England, but it's closer to that of the part of Canada where I grew up (lots of Scottish influence in BC) so I felt right at home there, plus all the ferns, etc, reminded me of home.

Just one question, how will Calvin and Hobbes continue speaking Mandarin? Just curious, because I've always thought it so cool that they can speak it fluently. My parents have neighbours whose dd spoke fluent Korean with her nanny until they moved her to Canada to get a Canadian education (she's Canadian, he's British.)

Just one question, how will Calvin and Hobbes continue speaking Mandarin? Just curious, because I've always thought it so cool that they can speak it fluently.

There's a Chinese community Saturday school that they will be attending. I'm sure it will hand out lots of homework to get them through the week. I'm hoping that there might be social opportunities with the other students too. If that turns out not to be enough, we'll hire a Chinese student from the local university to give extra practice.

Best wishes

Laura

There's a Chinese community Saturday school that they will be attending. I'm sure it will hand out lots of homework to get them through the week. I'm hoping that there might be social opportunities with the other students too. If that turns out not to be enough, we'll hire a Chinese student from the local university to give extra practice.

Best wishes

Laura

Excellent! I wondered if that would be available there.

• 3 weeks later...

from spending 11 days in Scotland. We spent a morning touring the St. Andrews Cathedral and Castle, which are amazing. You're moving to a beautiful area which should be intellectually rich, with the university close by.

We went completely unprepared for the cold, wind, and rain. I wore linen skirts and thin summer tops, and I froze every single day. But we had an incredible time. We saw Sean Connery and his wife during a fire alarm in the middle of the night in our hotel in Edinburgh (he was staying just down the hall from us), and my husband and daughter glimpsed Queen Elizabeth on Friday in Edinburgh (she was in town visiting her palace at Holyrood).

We spent some time looking through a real estate guide at housing prices, and we were shocked at how high they are. Most little houses (which aren't all that cute) run at least $400,000. I read in the newspaper that the housing market around the Firth of Forth is competitive now, with North Sea oil drilling picking up. Prices for many things run about double what you would pay in the States.

Scotland is an extremely beautiful and interesting place. You will probably love it there and feel quite at home.

We spent some time looking through a real estate guide at housing prices, and we were shocked at how high they are. Most little houses (which aren't all that cute) run at least $400,000. I read in the newspaper that the housing market around the Firth of Forth is competitive now, with North Sea oil drilling picking up. Prices for many things run about double what you would pay in the States.

Scotland is an extremely beautiful and interesting place. You will probably love it there and feel quite at home.

Fife prices are cheap compared to the south east. My brother lives in a very ordinary four bedroom house fairly near London (two of the bedrooms are just big enough for single beds) and it's worth about 500,000 pounds (a million US dollars). It's a small country, with not much land, controlled development, and a lot of people.

The weather: yes, I'm not packing much in the way of summer clothes. I just went out and bought long underwear for Calvin, who carries no padding of his own.

Thanks for the good wishes

Laura