Menu

Big announcement: I am probably turning into Laura in....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how are plans coming now? August 1st is not that far away!

On the journey back from Hong Kong to China, I managed to lose our passports and laptop. Embarrassing, and the only time I've lost passports in thirty years of overseas travel. It shows just how frazzled I am. Anyway, the British embassy in Beijing has come up with replacements very quickly, and I am all ready for the movers to come on Wednesday. The schedule is:

July 9/10/11 - movers pick up our stuff in China

July 12th/13th - saying goodbye to friends here

July 14th - we can pick up our exit permits

July 15th - fly to Hong Kong

July 16th to 28th - run around Hong Kong doing last minute bureaucratic stuff and saying goodbye to friends

July 29th - movers pick up our stuff in Hong Kong

July 31st - fly out from Hong Kong

August 1st - pick up car in Edinburgh and move into temporary accommodation in Fife.

Slow and steady, slow and steady...

Thanks for asking

Laura

I would love to know that myself! I live surrounded by them and really would love to know where all these folks work. And how can my husband get a job with them! :lol:

When you find out, could you let me know? I don't need a million dollar home, but a beach condo would be nice.

How does an ordinary person afford a million dollar house?

My brother is a computer programmer and his wife is a school administrator. I would definitely call them ordinary.

Most things in the UK are more expensive than in the US, but wages are higher, and some areas of their lives are cheaper:

• They own one car, but rarely use it: he cycles to work (nine miles each way) and she walks (half an hour each way)

• Both daughters go to state (public) schools and travel there by public bus

• He has four or five weeks of vacation time: at least two of those weeks are spent working on the house - they can't afford to get someone to fix it for them.

• Vacations are usually within a couple of hundred miles of home - rarely do they take a ferry to France.

• Health care is covered by taxes - costs for the individual are relatively low.

Laura