Menu

Please help me word this very strange sign I need to hang in our guest bathroom.

We have a little half bath on the main floor of our house. It's right in the 'middle' of the floor; It is surrounded by the living room, dining room, kitchen, and a hallway.

It's a VERY small bathroom. Like, the size of a closet. Not even a walk-in closet. :D There's the toilet, a sink, and just enough floor space to open the door.

Here's the thing. When someone uses the bathroom, anyone else on the first floor can hear whatever 'business' they're tending to in there. :tongue_smilie: CLEARLY.

But, if one turns the fan on in there, their 'business' is not so obvious.

Now of course, those of us who live here are aware of this, and turn on the fan if we want privacy when using that bathroom. But, our guests of course would not be aware of this. And I'd rather not greet everyone at the door with, 'If you need to use the bathroom, turn the fan on, or else we'll all hear you toileting.'

Soooo, dh wants me to put up a sign in there alerting guests to the fact that they should turn the fan on for privacy.

How in the WORLD do I word such a sign?! Dh has had some humorous suggestions, but nothing really *good*.

So, give me your best ideas. It can be humorous, or just polite and to the point, either way. Whatever I pick will be printed, framed, and hung directly over the towel rod, which is the first thing you see when you open the door. Either there, or right under the light switch.

So, how would YOU word a sign like that?

No ideas about the sign, but a friend of mine just changed her guest bathroom light switch. She has the light and the fan automatically come on with those automatic light switches. Then there is a switch just for the light. I wonder why they did that but there bathroom is the same right in the middle of everything. So I am guessing that the light only option is for them to over ride the fan automatically coming on - you can shut it off.

Can you just leave the fan running when you have guests?

I thought someone might suggest this. But the fan is kinda rackety and loud, and we would't want to listen to it for a long time. But we don't want to 'fix' it either, because then it wouldn't serve it's purpose as well! :D

Or you could wire the fan and light together so flipping the light on also turns on the fan.

Or you could insulate the bath better.

Otherwise, yeah it sounds like you are accusing them of making a stink doesn't it?:tongue_smilie: I have no idea how to word that request.

Personally, we would direct them to another bathroom or do the first two things before putting out a sign.

I thought someone might suggest this. But the fan is kinda rackety and loud, and we would't want to listen to it for a long time. But we don't want to 'fix' it either, because then it wouldn't serve it's purpose as well! :D

In that case I'd have guests use the full secondary bath (or the family bath if you don't have a master). I'd leave the half bath for family.

No ideas about the sign, but a friend of mine just changed her guest bathroom light switch. She has the light and the fan automatically come on with those automatic light switches. Then there is a switch just for the light. I wonder why they did that but there bathroom is the same right in the middle of everything. So I am guessing that the light only option is for them to over ride the fan automatically coming on - you can shut it off.

This is a good idea. If you can rework the switch to have the fan and light come on, then your problem is solved.

I agree about just switching out the switch. I don't think there is a delicate way to state that. You almost need to be more blunt, or just leave the fan running when you have guests (although the first one will probably turn it off after use :lol:)

We also have a bathroom that is not noise proof. In our previous home we had two bathrooms that were more private, now we have one that is not. I just explained to ds that everything done is a bathroom is a biological function, it's not something to be embarrassed about.

Maybe you could leave a small radio in there with music at the appropriate level?

:iagree: The sign will hold you for a while, but if you re-wire the fan so that it comes on whenever the light is turned on, your problem is solved. I have the exact same powder room in the exact same spot :glare:

I'm thinking you need some kind of cutesy poem but I'm blanking out right now.

Oh, how's this:

Please be advised--you should turn on the fan

Or else we'll all hear while you're using the can.

:lol: Too crude?

clever idea, there!

Or how about a nice embroidered sign- very genteel- with this:

When using the can, please run the fan.

Also when I was in gr 3 Taryn told me I peed loud and I have never forgotten it.

And furthermore when I was in college my friend Sarah told me her dad told her to shut the door whe she got up to ee at night because it sounded like "a cow pissing on a flat rock".

I wonder if you could work that into a rhyme and embroider it. Charming sentiment.:lol:

If you tinkle or poo,

We'll hear what you do.

So turn on the fan,

it's a much better plan

To preserve your privacy up in the loo.

(yeah, yeah, it's not perfect. But I've got "hey girl" captions running through my head right now!)

Oh my. You all are making me LOL. Um, while those are FUNNY, they're not really what we're going for. :)

I think connecting the light switch and fan is a great idea. Could you just post a sign that says, "For privacy, turn on the fan". I'm surprised people don't do that on their own.

We'll probaby just end up doing the 'For privacy, turn on the fan'. I guess I was hoping for something more clever, yet at the same time, not at all crude. I guess I'm just too boring, however. :tongue_smilie:

How about something like this...

"Let it be known that the exhaust fan serves as excellent noise cover should you desire some semblance of privacy while you attend your needs. The switch for the fan is by the door, next to the light switch."

or

"Have you ever wished for a bathroom where no one could hear what you're doing in there? yea, us too. In fact, we've left the exhaust fan noisy for just this very reason. Switch is by the door if you'd like some cover...."

or

"May we kindly suggest that you activate the Sound Shield, aka, exhaust fan? Turning the switch on insures that the rest of the first floor population won't notice what's going on in the bathroom, something I'm sure you appreciate as much as we do. Thanks! And, You're Welcome!"

I guess those are kind of wordy for framing and hanging....let's see.....

"Hoping for a noise blocker? Try the fan, switch by the door..."

or, right over the switch a big arrow that says "Sound-Blocking Force Field, Please Use"??

What a dilemma! Hope you figure something out that works!

We have a little half bath on the main floor of our house. It's right in the 'middle' of the floor; It is surrounded by the living room, dining room, kitchen, and a hallway.

It's a VERY small bathroom. Like, the size of a closet. Not even a walk-in closet. :D There's the toilet, a sink, and just enough floor space to open the door.

Here's the thing. When someone uses the bathroom, anyone else on the first floor can hear whatever 'business' they're tending to in there. :tongue_smilie: CLEARLY.

But, if one turns the fan on in there, their 'business' is not so obvious.

Now of course, those of us who live here are aware of this, and turn on the fan if we want privacy when using that bathroom. But, our guests of course would not be aware of this. And I'd rather not greet everyone at the door with, 'If you need to use the bathroom, turn the fan on, or else we'll all hear you toileting.'

Soooo, dh wants me to put up a sign in there alerting guests to the fact that they should turn the fan on for privacy.

How in the WORLD do I word such a sign?! Dh has had some humorous suggestions, but nothing really *good*.

So, give me your best ideas. It can be humorous, or just polite and to the point, either way. Whatever I pick will be printed, framed, and hung directly over the towel rod, which is the first thing you see when you open the door. Either there, or right under the light switch.

So, how would YOU word a sign like that?

I think it'd be easier to hire an electrician to rewire the bathroom light and fan to come on when the switch is flipped. :D

No need to warn your guests. No embarassing conversations from your more bold guests after using those facilities. I have a few friends who would turn it into a 2 hour conversation.......:auto::D

"Let it be known that the exhaust fan serves as excellent noise cover should you desire some semblance of privacy while you attend your needs. The switch for the fan is by the door, next to the light switch."

or

"Have you ever wished for a bathroom where no one could hear what you're doing in there? yea, us too. In fact, we've left the exhaust fan noisy for just this very reason. Switch is by the door if you'd like some cover...."

or

"May we kindly suggest that you activate the Sound Shield, aka, exhaust fan? Turning the switch on insures that the rest of the first floor population won't notice what's going on in the bathroom, something I'm sure you appreciate as much as we do. Thanks! And, You're Welcome!"

or, right over the switch a big arrow that says "Sound-Blocking Force Field, Please Use"??

:lol: I like these. Or just "Unfortunately this bathroom is not sound-proof. For privacy, please turn on the exhaust fan." This shows that it's not the smell that you're concerned about.

I believe that you can buy an attachment (if it is a double switch) that will automatically flip up the other switch as well. I tried to Google it, but that's next to impossible unless you know what it is called. Just make a run to the hardware store and ask them. Or you can just super glue something across the switch so they both come on. If it isn't a flip switch, then.....

Close the door so we can't see you,

Turn on the fan or else we'll hear you!

Oh my. You all are making me LOL. Um, while those are FUNNY, they're not really what we're going for. :)

We'll probaby just end up doing the 'For privacy, turn on the fan'. I guess I was hoping for something more clever, yet at the same time, not at all crude. I guess I'm just too boring, however. :tongue_smilie:

Well, there really isn't an elegant way to say this. I think funny is your only choice.

Did you hear that?

If you don't have the fan on, then we did.

Please use the fan, for your own privacy.

I think this is my favorite one so far. :D Funny yet to the point, and not at all crude. Thanks Julie. However, I can't WAIT to discuss this with dh tonight. I'm sure I'll get a 'honey, pick whatever you want', since he's absolutely swamped at work, and while he thinks this topic is funny, he's really too busy for me to be bugging him with it. :tongue_smilie:

I would suggest my guests use the upstairs bathroom if it were that embarrassing. For those who find stair climbing difficult, I'd suggest the fan (or leave a sign). Something like: "This bathroom is not sound proof. Please use the fan for added privacy."

or

or

:lol: These are amazing!! I especially enjoy the last one...

We don't even have a fan in our downstairs bathroom; we live in a very old house --with thick horsehair walls. Sound isn't an issue. However, whenever someone asks if they may use the bathroom, I let them know they can use the upstairs bathroom if they would like more privacy. The downstairs bathroom is obviously in a very busy area of the house, esp during a party. Some people take me up on the offer, and some do not. Say it was our only bathroom, and say it had a fan, and say the fan mattered...I would walk the person to the bathroom and flip everything on for them myself...as a way of showing them where the bathroom is, where the lights are etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm thinking you need some kind of cutesy poem but I'm blanking out right now.

Oh, how's this:

Please be advised--you should turn on the fan

Or else we'll all hear while you're using the can.

:lol: Too crude?

If you tinkle or poo,

We'll hear what you do.

So turn on the fan,

it's a much better plan

To preserve your privacy up in the loo.

(yeah, yeah, it's not perfect. But I've got "hey girl" captions running through my head right now!)

Did you hear that?

If you don't have the fan on, then we did.

Please use the fan, for your own privacy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: What a great laugh I have had with these!

I wouldn't put up a sign. Really. We have the same situation in our home....but I wouldn't want people to be embarrassed or self-conscious using the powder room while visiting. It's easier to just all pretend that one isn't using the powder room as it's intended to be used.

I'm with the others, just re-wire and be done with it.

We have the same sort of situation. Virtually all of our guests have figured it out on their own.

For some reason it bugs me to have the fan and light wired together. There are plenty of times we've wanted to leave a fan on after turning the light off, if you know what I mean. Or times someone just wants to wash their hands, and doesn't need a blast of noisy fan.