Menu

Please help me word this very strange sign I need to hang in our guest bathroom.

I believe that you can buy an attachment (if it is a double switch) that will automatically flip up the other switch as well. I tried to Google it, but that's next to impossible unless you know what it is called. Just make a run to the hardware store and ask them. Or you can just super glue something across the switch so they both come on. If it isn't a flip switch, then.....

Close the door so we can't see you,

Turn on the fan or else we'll hear you!

That sounds like something that would be in one of those catalogs that has all kinds of weird but ingenious gadgets. The kind that you look through and wonder WHY it took so long for somebody to come up with that idea. But I can't remember the name to any of them right now. Of course.

Did you hear that?

If you don't have the fan on, then we did.

Please use the fan, for your own privacy.

Maybe you could work in "Can you hear me now?" as the first line. :)

OR how about this:

These walls are thin.

(Toilet secrets are history.)

So turn on the fan,

and keep it a mystery.

Edited by abeshear

I'm thinking you need some kind of cutesy poem but I'm blanking out right now.

Oh, how's this:

Please be advised--you should turn on the fan

Or else we'll all hear while you're using the can.

:lol: Too crude?

Similar topic, different problem - I saw a sign in a bathroom that said:

We aim to please.

You aim, too, please.

:D

No ideas about the sign, but a friend of mine just changed her guest bathroom light switch. She has the light and the fan automatically come on with those automatic light switches. Then there is a switch just for the light. I wonder why they did that but there bathroom is the same right in the middle of everything. So I am guessing that the light only option is for them to over ride the fan automatically coming on - you can shut it off.

Do this. It's to the point and not obvious at.all.

We have a little half bath on the main floor of our house. It's right in the 'middle' of the floor; It is surrounded by the living room, dining room, kitchen, and a hallway.

It's a VERY small bathroom. Like, the size of a closet. Not even a walk-in closet. :D There's the toilet, a sink, and just enough floor space to open the door.

Here's the thing. When someone uses the bathroom, anyone else on the first floor can hear whatever 'business' they're tending to in there. :tongue_smilie: CLEARLY.

But, if one turns the fan on in there, their 'business' is not so obvious.

Now of course, those of us who live here are aware of this, and turn on the fan if we want privacy when using that bathroom. But, our guests of course would not be aware of this. And I'd rather not greet everyone at the door with, 'If you need to use the bathroom, turn the fan on, or else we'll all hear you toileting.'

Soooo, dh wants me to put up a sign in there alerting guests to the fact that they should turn the fan on for privacy.

How in the WORLD do I word such a sign?! Dh has had some humorous suggestions, but nothing really *good*.

So, give me your best ideas. It can be humorous, or just polite and to the point, either way. Whatever I pick will be printed, framed, and hung directly over the towel rod, which is the first thing you see when you open the door. Either there, or right under the light switch.

So, how would YOU word a sign like that?

"The walls are thin. Please turn on the fan."

If I wanted to keep it light, I might paint a big ear beside the words.

i'm wondering how frequently you have guests who would use it? once a day? once a week? once a month? are they folks you know well? if so, perhaps just calling out "remember the fan" would do? you could tell them why....

flip side is that you may be surprised.... if you ask your landlord they might just say yes. if you don't ask, it stays the way it is, so if you do ask, it can only get better.... maybe?

i'd just go for direct if you end up with a sign....

ann

Ok everyone, after laughing over all the ideas with dh, this is what we're gonna use:

Let it be known that the exhaust fan

serves as excellent noise cover, should you

desire some semblance of privacy while

you attend to your needs. The switch for

the fan is by the door, next to the light switch.

(Special thanks to TheReader, since she suggested this particular one.)

Ok everyone, after laughing over all the ideas with dh, this is what we're gonna use:

Let it be known that the exhaust fan

serves as excellent noise cover, should you

desire some semblance of privacy while

you attend to your needs. The switch for

the fan is by the door, next to the light switch.

(Special thanks to TheReader, since she suggested this particular one.)

I like it. Putting myself in the position of being your guest, I would much rather read this notice than to later be in the position of realizing how much everyone heard.:001_huh:

I'm thinking you need some kind of cutesy poem but I'm blanking out right now.

Oh, how's this:

Please be advised--you should turn on the fan

Or else we'll all hear while you're using the can.

:lol: Too crude?

I think this is perfect! I don't think it's too crude, it's to the point, it's funny, it doesn't use the word "poo"..., it will make your guest smile. Hopefully.

ETA: The one you picked is fine, but it's a little long, and not funny. I don't know that I would read it if I was in a hurry. Then I would be embarrassed when I was done and did get around to reading it.

Edited by hmsmith

This reminds me of a funny story.

Ds was about 6. We were in a friend's home with a bathroom like that. We were having a group Bible study . Ds goes in to use the bathroom....and begins to sing. :001_huh:

Everyone in the room looked at me and sat up a little straighter and we all pretended we didn't hear the adorable little voice singing, 'you are my sunshine.'

Also when I was in gr 3 Taryn told me I peed loud and I have never forgotten it.

And furthermore when I was in college my friend Sarah told me her dad told her to shut the door whe she got up to ee at night because it sounded like "a cow pissing on a flat rock".

I wonder if you could work that into a rhyme and embroider it. Charming sentiment.:lol:

LOL. :lol: My dh tells my ds11 to 'shut the door' all of the time. He says it sounds like a race horse in the next room. Poor dh can't get used to the open door policy.

Just so you know, there are many people who will be rendered extremely self-concious by any type of sign referencing thin walls and traveling toileting noises. These people would now have the thought in mind, and would not trust the fan to adequately mask the noise, or would worry that next time they might not notice the sign and forget to turn the fan on. Therefore I -that is, these people, would then think up an excuse, any excuse, to leave early and pee at the McDonald's on the way home. And only ever return to your house for very short visits.

If you don't want to rewire (which is very easy), simply put a small radio or noise machine in there. As the hosts, I think it falls to you to solve the problem, not the guests.

Honestly, signs in the bathroom put me in mind of a roadside diner, and I might exit and throw peanut shells on your floor. The sign you picked is particularly troublesome, as it's so wordy and obtuse that lots of kids and more than a few adults won't get the point even if they bother to read it, kwim? If you *must* have a sign, it needs to be short, direct, and noticeable.

I think this is my favorite one so far. :D Funny yet to the point, and not at all crude. Thanks Julie. However, I can't WAIT to discuss this with dh tonight. I'm sure I'll get a 'honey, pick whatever you want', since he's absolutely swamped at work, and while he thinks this topic is funny, he's really too busy for me to be bugging him with it. :tongue_smilie:
You're more than welcome Bethany :) I'm glad your family found one they like.

Just so you don't get to feeling too bad about having public restroomesque signs.... We have a septic tank and when we have guests we warn them. When we expect too many guests to warn in person, we hang a sign. If people hearing you 'go' is embarrassing, realizing the toilet might not accept your deposit is a bit more harrowing ;)

Maybe you could work in "Can you hear me now?" as the first line. :)

OR how about this:

These walls are thin.

(Toilet secrets are history.)

So turn on the fan,

and keep it a mystery.

That's priceless. LOVE IT.

Just so you know, there are many people who will be rendered extremely self-concious by any type of sign referencing thin walls and traveling toileting noises. These people would now have the thought in mind, and would not trust the fan to adequately mask the noise, or would worry that next time they might not notice the sign and forget to turn the fan on. Therefore I -that is, these people, would then think up an excuse, any excuse, to leave early and pee at the McDonald's on the way home. And only ever return to your house for very short visits.

If you don't want to rewire (which is very easy), simply put a small radio or noise machine in there. As the hosts, I think it falls to you to solve the problem, not the guests.

Honestly, signs in the bathroom put me in mind of a roadside diner, and I might exit and throw peanut shells on your floor. The sign you picked is particularly troublesome, as it's so wordy and obtuse that lots of kids and more than a few adults won't get the point even if they bother to read it, kwim? If you *must* have a sign, it needs to be short, direct, and noticeable.

I agree rewiring is the best solution...2nd is to not make it available for guests...third is a SIMPLE sign. "Please turn on Fan."

As far as signs in public restrooms or hotel rooms. They kill me. :glare: "Please don't put diapers in toilet." Really? As if the type of people would DO that would read a sign and care. Unless it is something very specific to THAT establishment (such as turn on the fan) don't be giving me signs about stupid stuff.