Menu

Do you consider yourself a Handy Woman?

Not in any way, shape, or form.

But it is DH's mission in life to make sure I CAN do it all, even if I don't want to, so I'm learning :D. I can now caulk, rip out carpet, lay carpet, do a little dry wall, and small plumbing things. By the time he's done, I should be able to build a house from the ground up :lol:.

Yes, although I am not allowed to touch the electrical or plumbing, and don't want to.

In our old house I pulled all the carpet out by myself. It was 3 bedrooms, a long hallway, and a giant dining/living room. Nasty 30 years used to be green, used to be semi-shag carp had to go.

I love demo work and occasionally have to be reeled in as I get too far ahead of dh.

Not in any way, shape, or form.

But it is DH's mission in life to make sure I CAN do it all, even if I don't want to, so I'm learning :D. I can now caulk, rip out carpet, lay carpet, do a little dry wall, and small plumbing things. By the time he's done, I should be able to build a house from the ground up :lol:.

Oh, yeah. I can caulk better than dh. No plumbing here, but I can handle a pipe burst emergency with dh across the country. I'd rather not do that again.

Yes...I have just spent the last 13 days putting away 20,000 lbs of household goods. Building beds, hanging curtains, pictures putting furniture back together...I should be completely done with everything except the garage by Sunday. I'm not patient enough to wait around for him to do it. ;)

I can do just about anything I really apply myself to. It has been awhile since I have done the car stuff, I did rebuild a VW bug in highschool though.

I grew up in quite a few complete remodels, can run a table saw if I had to, I know how to bend wood in a bathtub for those fancy stairways, and lay a patio. :tongue_smilie:

I can also trim my horses feet, give shots, and I am researching how to process my own chickens. Sounds like fun, right! :D

....right now I have to figure out what is wrong with the dryer. :glare:

I can do some basic things and am generally happy to look up what I need to know for anything else, but DH really, really, REALLY does not like anyone, even his beloved wife, to use his tools. Indeed, usually all I need to do to get something done around here is to remark that I plan on doing it myself and ask where he keeps the [necessary tool]. Presto! It's done. :001_smile:

Not really. I can do basic DIY/craftycrap stuff, or follow IKEA instructions, but that's it. I can help, but I can't do most major jobs myself. Dh is one with the electrical, plumbing, carpentry and mechanical skills. I can figure out what might be wrong, but I don't know off-the-bat how to fix it. If I *had* to, I could look it up and try to follow directions, but I don't do that. Dh just does it all.

I am, but part of it is how I was raised. My mom is very into DIY and my dad is dangerous (mostly to himself) with power tools due to lack of patience. After getting married I've followed in my mom's love of DIY footsteps and will include my dh if he's actually home. He's military so many of my projects are because I'm not going to wait for him to finally pull into port again or because I'm to impatient to wait for the landlord to hire someone to come and do it. My landlord loves me because I do a good job and save him quite a bit of money. LOL

I am quite handy around to the house to the great chagrin of my ex. He always thought he would have to come to my house to help out because he thought I was helpless.:001_huh: Nope, I am very handy. I taught my daughter to use a reciprocating saw when she was 10. We had a couch we couldn't get it out of the door for freecycle. What I didn't know was when it was delivered, they took the bun feet off to get it in the door. We sawed that thing in half. The look of glee on my daughters face was priceless. The neighbors were in hysterics laughing at us.:lol::lol::lol: I have taught her how to do most repairs around the home. I don't want her to think that she must have a man around to do these things. I want her to know she can do anything she sets her mind on doing and the best way to model that for me is hands on learning. That must be why we have loved 4-H so much these past 5 years.

I have yet to encounter a project I couldn't do (or quickly learn how to do), from roofing to laying hardwood. I can do most smaller electrical repairs (switches, outlets, installed fixtures) but don't because I am afraid of electrical fires. I also don't do plumbing unless it is very small or very necessary (but I can if I have to).

My car repair knowledge is sorely lacking but I am going to remedy that next weekend (a friend has offered to teach me how to replace my brakes (rotors and all, apparently it's very easy).

I have found that it generally is just a matter of asking for directions and then slowly and meticulously following them. Most things aren't actually that hard.

Can you nail, drill, install, do-it-yourself without your dh?

I do it all, but that is because I am impatient and don't want to wait for dh to come home and be in the mood.

Totally do it myself!!! I have installed dishwasher and water heaters. I have installed bathrooms sinks,vanity,tube and toilets. I have replaced light fixture and rewired switches and installed way to many ceiling fans. I also maintain my well which seems to always blow a circuit in freezing cold rain. I have replaced and repair Sheetrock which is the most awful job.

I am currently refinished bathroom cabinets and building a platform bed for my ds.

I am very independent and really don't need a man around the house but I wouldn't consider myself a feminist. I am just a country girl. I really like working with my hands. I have helped some of my girlfriends husbands when they get in over their heads:lol:

The funnest was when my friends boyfriend a MD that wanted to do the man thing around the house and it took him hours and still couldn't get a dishwasher and above stove microwave installed. she finally lost patience with him called me over about 8:30 that night to installed the thing. I work with the guy and he really was embarrassed and p*ssed:tongue_smilie:

Can you nail, drill, install, do-it-yourself without your dh?

I do it all, but that is because I am impatient and don't want to wait for dh to come home and be in the mood.

Yes, although I really don't like using power saws because of the noise. . .I used to change the oil in my car myself (and even taught dh how to do it), and my big project this last fall, was refinishing our kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

I am fairly handy. I don't fix cars or anything as complex as that :tongue_smilie:

But I can manage the basics just fine.

My favourite thing is moving furniture around (if one considers that to be handy?). The room always feels new - and you don't have to spend any money :001_smile: DH is always amazed that I can manage to lift all the heavy stuff and manoeuver it all around - sometimes even up & down the stairs! Just a few days ago, I switched the kids rooms around (again); took apart beds/cribs, moved dressers and chairs. SO FUN!!

Does that make me handy or just weird?

I can do a lot. My hubby is not a fix it guy...he says that he is the one that helps out the middle man by picking up the phone :tongue_smilie:. I guess that makes me the horrible one that wants to do many things herself to save money, lol.

Most of the tools in the shed are mine. I get annoyed if they don't get put back corrctly by others who sometimes borrow them (DH :glare:).

There is one power tool off limits though and DH always runs it for me...the chainsaw. I'm not allowed to use it... :(

I can do just about anything in the house. For awhile I was on a first name basis with a few guys from Lowes when we bought our house and the guys at the parts counter at Sears when every appliance in our house started going out.

I can do just about anything except for big car repairs. I can do minor stuff like changing a tire, headlight, wiper blades etc. But anything more I either take it to the shop or have DH do it.

Yes I can. I've built boxes. In my younger days I was a car-tinkerer, and even rebuilt an automatic transmission when I was 20. A couple of engines, too. I was from the old world of home-VW repair (the Muir guide), and could pull an engine from a VW van with a 17 and 13 mm wrench, a screw driver, a pair of pliers, two concrete blocks and two short stretches of 2 X4. You unhook it, wiggle is back from the tranny, then tip it and pull out the two 2x4s, and, with the engine lowered, you could push the beast off of the engine. I could do it in 30 minutes.

I'm getting handier by the year, now that we own a home!! I don't do much on the car (I can change a tire or replace a battery, but anything more serious than that I've never dealt with). I'm also oddly afraid of plumbing. But I've done electrical, crown moulding, trim, paint, drywall patch, caulk, etc. I ripped up a glued-down carpet on the porch this summer, that was the hardest thing I've done. Refinished the basement rec room last summer. Totally refinished a dresser for DD when she was a baby. Built flower boxes for the front of the house two years ago.

My next project is bookshelves. We need more, and I would like higher quality ones than the target press-board junk we have. Which on our budget means I need to build them (my first furniture build!). As soon as I find the time!

DW does a lot of handy things too, and our favorite is working together on stuff. I hope this will get more feasible as the kids get a little older and stop being freaked out by the power drill.

I'm pretty handy and do most assembly and fix-it jobs around the house myself, unless they involve plumbing or electrical (but I watched the toilet installation pretty carefully, and I think next time I can do it no problem :lol:). I take pride in my toolbox and I especially love my power drill. I mean, what's not to love about a power drill?

I'm so DIY that I couldn't wait around for a man to take a washer and dryer up the stairs from my basement and out onto my front porch to be picked up. I did it myself.

I do basics on the car like headlights, oil changes, and tire changes. I have had a LOT of tire issues with my poor old car lately, so I am now a super-speedy whiz at tire changing. Once I even rigged up my fallen muffler under the car with some wire on the side of a highway. I like to impress my daughter that way. :D