Menu

Kim Jong Il is dead

I refuse to celebrate the passing of another human being (no matter how psychotic that human may have been). I'm sure he had someone who loved him, and that one person is sad right now, but hopefully this will be a new beginning for the people of North Korea.

I refuse to celebrate the passing of another human being (no matter how psychotic that human may have been). I'm sure he had someone who loved him, and that one person is sad right now, but hopefully this will be a new beginning for the people of North Korea.

:iagree:

I read that his successor is his third son. Now I'm wondering what's wrong with the first two :glare:

One got caught trying to sneak into Japans Disneyland, not sure about the other. Family embarrassments I think.

It is not the most functional of families. He had kids from two wives and at least one mistress. The third son (the heir apparent) is supposedly the son of the woman he loved the most.

:iagree: back in the day I would have been in that celebratory camp. But after watching news footage of people in the Middle East celebrating in the streets after the 9/11 attacks on MY country? Well... I just can't throw my hat in with that type of mentality any more.

Whether or not his death is good for North Korea is a separate issue from the kind of mentality that "celebrates" death.

:iagree: back in the day I would have been in that celebratory camp. But after watching news footage of people in the Middle East celebrating in the streets after the 9/11 attacks on MY country? Well... I just can't throw my hat in with that type of mentality any more.

Whether or not his death is good for North Korea is a separate issue from the kind of mentality that "celebrates" death.

Exactly. Watching those guys was a gut check. I will pray for the people of North Korea because they just deserve so much better.

Sweet! (ETA: I don't see the harm in honest happiness at the passing of evil people. I'm also for the death penalty when justified-- that might separate me from many readers here. In this case, Kim Jong Il's passing is an unqualified good for the world: for his people, and for the rest of the world which doesn't have to worry about trying to placate a madman or anticipate a future attack, etc.)

Edited by Iucounu

I just went to the 9/11 Memorial yesterday in NYC. I have NO problem celebrating the death of such an evil person/people. All those names of innocent people on a wall surrounding the memorial pools. They were innocent people that were not killed. But MURDERED. Womens names inscribed along with "And their unborn child". How tragic.

I hope people of the likes of Osama Bin Laden, Kim Jon Il...etc....rot in H E double hockey sticks with their bagillion virgins.

Good riddance.

Spent a summer teaching English in South Korea and will never, ever forget the fear and pain on the faces of my Korean friends as they told us stories of Kim Jong Il. My provincially-American mind was shocked.

I,too, am hopeful for a free and united Korea . . . not basing that hope on Son #3, though. But hoping (for the people's sake) for a very smooth transition.

I wish the Korean people the best.

I celebrate though, that his people may be more free. Seriously, the killing that he has done to his people is horrendous, and I would hope that the next person won't shoot people for doing things like giving a Bible to someone who asks for it.

Holy cow. I'm sure there are many people in North Korea grieving right now- so many of them see the "Dear Leader" as almost a god figure.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Hopefully things are better for them, and Kim Jong Il's heir is a little less paranoid. Heck, maybe he'll be downright normal and the country will finally make friends with everyone else and open their borders.

What's really revolting is the difference in height.

I've always found the nighttime sattelite images of N. Korea as a sea of darkness in Asia a telling image.

This one has a large field of China, North Korea, South Korea and Japan. This one is closer and has more detail, showing the meager lighting from the capital.

What a moment of uncertainty for the people of North Korea. In a land where your picture of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il comes with a duster that is only to be used to clean the picture of the dear leader, I can't imagine the pressure to be seen to mourn properly and sufficiently.

There are many victims of Kim Jong Il to mourn.