Menu

does this seem like an unusual thing for a 19-year-old young lady to want for Xmas?

My niece, who is a 19-year-old college student, wants a Nintendo DS for Christmas. My s-i-l is getting her one. I don't know why this seems strange to me, but it does. She has some sort of smart phone that she could play games on. She has never been into fashion or girlie things, but this just seems, I don't know, immature to me. Am I just old and out of touch? Can I just not relate since I am personally a techno-idiot.

I just don't get it.

They are awesome. You can so all kinds of stuff with it, use it as a text messenger, take movies, make cartoons and animate, go online, watch movies from netflix, use it as an mp3, record sounds and edit them into his movies...

no, they're not just for playing games (though people need to rip Tetris from me).

Aren't the new ds-s in 3D? That's pretty cool. :D

My 19yo has an older version but left it at home for the 5yo to play with while he's at college. Whenever he comes home, he plays with it, too.

I don't think it's an immature request. In fact, I asked my 15yo if I should get the 3D one for her college brother. She just said, "Mom, does he need anything else to distract him from studying?" She has a good point.;)

:lol: No, not at all.

DH has one. It's actually the one we are giving to DS. DH said if he wanted to play something on it, he'd borrow it from DS :D... He also has a PSP (and a PS3, PS2, Sega Genesis - old school - ,N64, and Super Nintendo) Oh, and there is a Wii wrapped under the tree for all of us.

Idk why, but I find it humorous that someone would find a DS to be an immature thing to request for Christmas... :lol:

It sounds normal to me.

DH bought me a red Gameboy Advance for Valentine's Day when I was 23 or 24. We got the original DS systems several years later.

I haven't played it at all since my son was born, but I used to enjoy Tetris, various logic games, Brain Age, and my nostalgic childhood favorite--Super Mario 3. I also have a calendar/scheduler program. I would mostly use it while waiting for appointments (which I thought was a much better use of my brain than the myriad copies of People and Redbook strewn about) or on long car trips. Occasionally I would play it during my lunch break at work as an escape.

I bought one for myself as a college sophomore. I got good use out of it. One summer I worked third shift at a call center. We would go a long time between calls sometimes, and it was a lifesaver. I was too tired to read and retain, but Mario Kart would keep me up.

:lol: No, not at all.

DH has one. It's actually the one we are giving to DS. DH said if he wanted to play something on it, he'd borrow it from DS :D... He also has a PSP (and a PS3, PS2, Sega Genesis - old school - ,N64, and Super Nintendo) Oh, and there is a Wii wrapped under the tree for all of us.

Idk why, but I find it humorous that someone would find a DS to be an immature thing to request for Christmas... :lol:

When I read your post, I started worrying my husband was leading a double life :lol:. He has a PS3, xBox 360 (w/Kinect), Wii, PS2, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, NES, PSP, DS, and a Gameboy Advance. Whew!

Dh and I were about 25yo when the Gameboy first came out. A friend showed us his and of course we had to go out and get one of our own. I only played Tetris and Super Mario Bros on it, though. :D We didn't get another one when it died, though.

Ds thinks it's funny that we bought one at that age. He's appalled that it didn't even have a color screen. Yeah, we're *that* old. :tongue_smilie:

I had no. idea.

I am just not into games.

I am sorry if I insulted anyone by saying it seemed "immature" to ask for one.

Clearly I am detached from reality! :lol:

Honestly, I feel better knowing this is not an unusual thing for someone her age to want.

I have a 20 year old sister who wouldn't necessarily want one, but who would play one. Same goes for my 19 year old nephew.

That said, in 1999 when I first got hired I was gifted one to use during the downtime on my job. It's all old-school and I only play one game, but I still use it :) I don't like playing games on my phone; not just battery-wise, but the size. Plus I hate being interrupted by texts/calls and sometimes just want to detach from my phone and not be available all of the time.

Heh. I have three DS games on my wishlist as we speak and I'm in my 30's. (And two of the three have Professor Layton in the title :lol:)

Ugh! I'm struggling with Unwound Future right now. I think my brain cells have significantly reduced because I need my dd13 to help me figure out most of these puzzles!

Honestly, I feel better knowing this is not an unusual thing for someone her age to want.

Just curious, but what do you think a 19 yr. old female would want for Christmas? I've had a difficult time buying for my dd19! Her top present is a pair of Toms shoes that cost twice as much as any pair I've purchased for myself, including the shoes I wore on my wedding day! She never uses all the stuff like scented lotions and bath things or jewelry she gets as gifts. Her dad is getting her a Kindle. I think it's a waste of money. She doesn't read much. Maybe I should surprise her with a DS. She will probably get more use out of that than a Kindle. She doesn't even go on the internet much anymore. She says it's boring.

IMO it's weird that you'd think less of some one because of the gift they want...ie, "immature"

I already confessed that I am a techno-idiot, so I don't know how to multi-quote! :D

But, if you will look at post #33, you will see where I apologized if I said something offensive. I truly had no idea that adults were so into gaming. It just isn't my thing.

Again, I am sorry if I offended.

Just curious, but what do you think a 19 yr. old female would want for Christmas? I've had a difficult time buying for my dd19! Her top present is a pair of Toms shoes that cost twice as much as any pair I've purchased for myself, including the shoes I wore on my wedding day! She never uses all the stuff like scented lotions and bath things or jewelry she gets as gifts. Her dad is getting her a Kindle. I think it's a waste of money. She doesn't read much. Maybe I should surprise her with a DS. She will probably get more use out of that than a Kindle. She doesn't even go on the internet much anymore. She says it's boring.

I guess I just think about what *I* would have wanted... at that age or now!

A new purse, jewelry (hmm just read where she doesn't use jewelry), clothes, something for her dorm room like a dock (or port or whatever it's called) for her phone, boots, XM radio, something to pursue a new hobby like knitting??? I think a kindle is a great gift - but, you are right - it isn't if she doesn't read much.

I'm kind of a girlie girl, and my niece has never been. I am NOT saying that is bad. I am just saying it makes it hard for me to buy for her, b/c we don't like the same things.

It's hard to buy for someone that has very different wants/needs than you do.

I know I have been difficult for my Mom since I never wanted any of the same things she considered normal.

So for everyone who is shopping / thinking / buying something for someone and having a hard time doing so I offer you a thanks and a :grouphug:.

Why not just get her the shoes that she wants? Then you know she'll be elated. They've got to be 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the DS anyway.

A new purse, jewelry (hmm just read where she doesn't use jewelry), clothes, something for her dorm room like a dock (or port or whatever it's called) for her phone, boots, XM radio, something to pursue a new hobby like knitting??? I think a kindle is a great gift - but, you are right - it isn't if she doesn't read much.

I'm kind of a girlie girl, and my niece has never been. I am NOT saying that is bad. I am just saying it makes it hard for me to buy for her, b/c we don't like the same things.

Yep, just different personalities! Every single thing on your list would have been a flop for me at 19!

We got my son, who'll be 19 in a few months, a 3DS for Christmas.

It was the only thing on his Christmas list. I told him it was too expensive and he probably wouldn't be getting it. He's going to be SO excited! I can't wait to give it to him!!!

Lots of young people, and young-at-heart people, love gaming. Don't worry, your niece is normal. ;-)

They are awesome. You can so all kinds of stuff with it, use it as a text messenger, take movies, make cartoons and animate, go online, watch movies from netflix, use it as an mp3, record sounds and edit them into his movies...

no, they're not just for playing games (though people need to rip Tetris from me).

:iagree:

Doesn't seem strange to me. I knew lots of young adults who had the old DS when it came out back in '05? Including me... LOL! Hooked on Animal Crossing back then! ;)

She'll be easy to buy for now. Just get her a nintendo points gift card and she can use it for ga,e cartridges or online games.