Menu

Who remembers ditto printed worksheets from their schooldays?

LNC

My daughter and I went through my old 7th grade schoolwork today. We had the best time. All the worksheets and tests were in that thin purple ink paper. Some masters were typewritten and some were even handwritten, then copied. It was 1982 - pre photocopier. The teachers used ditto machines. Does anyone else remember?

We still used those when I started teaching in a public school in 1989. The pages would be slightly damp as they came through and the smell lingered. As I recall, we also had a photocopier, but it was awful! Gray streaks ran through the pages and it was out of order as often as it worked. In the following years, we allocated a portion of our teacher supply money for the maintenance of that copier.

Actually, our school was struck by lightning and burned one night. The principal heard several explosions coming from my classroom while firefighters worked, and we guessed it was from that fluid I stored in the closet. Or glue jugs. Or paints. :confused:

I don't think we ever used mimeograph machines after that. Maybe they were too old to replace?

Fun memories of school . . . I hadn't thought of those in a long time. I'll bet I have some stuck in a file somewhere. :D

I loved the smell and bluey color.

:iagree: I remember them as a student!

I used the mimeograph machine as a schoolteacher in the 80's. I loved how easy it was to draw on the master and fit the blue (ink) template in the machine -- you could run any kind of paper -- copy, construction, newsprint, and thick cardstock. Couldn't do that with a xerox machine. ;)

Edited by tex-mex

The ditto machine! My aunt was a teacher and I used to help her copy algebra and geometry worksheets. We used to hang out in the teacher's lounge waiting for the machine to be free. There was only one and of course everyone wanted to use it right after school let out so they could get home sooner.

That would have been 1989 - 1990. They probably used it longer than that because I don't remember using the Xerox until about 1995. Or maybe I just wasn't allowed to use the precious new Xerox for that long. :001_smile:

I also used to use the die cut machine with all the shapes and letters. Teachers would tell me what they wanted their bulletin boards to say and I'd make the stuff for it and pass it out in their memo boxes. Sad to say, I did it because I was their proofreader. Some of them were horrible spellers! :tongue_smilie: (And this was in maybe second or third grade!)

I also remember when paper came out of the printer all attached together! My aunt was one of the first with a computer at school and we used to make banners for all the teachers, too!

Edited by SunD
another thought

Just an FYI - if you have any of those ditto transfer sheets/carbon paper stuff lying around, don't attempt some weird DIY iron-on transfer project. In 1990 or so, when iron-on transfers were apparently difficult for the average crafty girl to find, I used leftover carbon paper my mother had given me - she was a teacher - to make t-shirts. That ink melts when you put an iron on it. Said ink then flows all over your mother's ironing board, which you promptly hide by setting it up in your room as a makeshift table for, oh, the next five years until you graduate from high school and leave for college... My mother was a teacher, remember? She wore A LOT of polyester and NEVER ironed! :lol:

The purple ink was a spirit duplicator. A mimeograph was actually a different machine.

I worked for Merril Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith as a clerk. My job was to watch a machine all day long that had stuff from the main office in NY. It all came out on two pieces of paper, one of them being a spirit master. I had to make copies all.day.long to distribute to the account executives, and my hands and arms were purple. That stuff doesn't wash off easily, either. :glare: I finally got rubber gloves and cuffs that covered my forearms up to my elbows.

I used to love the smell before I worked there, lol.

I hated them in kindergarten! I wanted my pictures to have dark black lines around them like my coloring books at home. Thus, I painstakingly outlined every single picture I was asked to color with black crayon. If I had time, I even traced over every letter in the little easy reading booklets we made. Can you guess which crayon I always wore out first?:D

Do you remember filmstrips and the cassette tapes that beeped when it was time to move to the next frame?

LOL! I was trying to explain film strips to my kids last night. They just didn't get it.

I loved making dittos. If you were fast with your math facts you "won" the right to be the ditto maker for the day. It was a huge motivator for me, I loved turning the handle and carefully counting the dittos.

:iagree: I remember them as a student!

I used the mimeograph machine as a schoolteacher in the 80's. I loved how easy it was to draw on the master and fit the blue (ink) template in the machine -- you could run any kind of paper -- copy, construction, newsprint, and thick cardstock. Couldn't do that with a xerox machine. ;)

Yep! I used to make crossword puzzles for my students. And I handwrote all their tests and worksheets too. I didn't own a typewriter, and nobody had computers back then (early 80s).

The purple ink was a spirit duplicator. A mimeograph was actually a different machine.

I worked for Merril Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith as a clerk. My job was to watch a machine all day long that had stuff from the main office in NY. It all came out on two pieces of paper, one of them being a spirit master. I had to make copies all.day.long to distribute to the account executives, and my hands and arms were purple. That stuff doesn't wash off easily, either. :glare: I finally got rubber gloves and cuffs that covered my forearms up to my elbows.

I used to love the smell before I worked there, lol.

Ooh, Ellie! Did you have a telecopier, too? My step-dad's office was right next to my bedroom and that thing was like an alarm clock.

Ring... Ring... Zhuuuup, chucka chucka chucka chucka... Good times.

I do! In high school, my mom was one of the people in charge of making those copies! She would type the teacher's tests/worksheets and make the copies on that machine. I also remember some teachers getting their copies straight off the machine. The pages would be sort of damp and have that strong smell.

Some friends and I were just talking about dittos today -- what a funny coincidence to come home and read this thread.

I remember dittoed Miquon-type worksheets in first or second grade.

My teacher friends and I referred to it as "doing dittos."

I started teaching right as copy machines were coming on the scene. They were very expensive and we were limited to 25 copies per day that we could make in our building. We could have more copies printed at the district copy center if we had it ready a week in advance.

Yep! I used to make crossword puzzles for my students. And I handwrote all their tests and worksheets too. I didn't own a typewriter, and nobody had computers back then (early 80s).

I had an old electric typewriter, plus there was one in our office when I started in 1984. Outside of a TRS-80, the first computer for teacher/classroom use in the school was a Mac bought with money raised through science club.

Recently I returned to a short term teaching stint. It took me almost two hours to do a worksheet that would have taken me 20 minutes by hand in the old days. It looked pretty ;) but I can't say the learning was any different than it was off the handwritten/ditto version.

I hated them in kindergarten! I wanted my pictures to have dark black lines around them like my coloring books at home. Thus, I painstakingly outlined every single picture I was asked to color with black crayon. If I had time, I even traced over every letter in the little easy reading booklets we made. Can you guess which crayon I always wore out first?:D

I'm guessing you didn't go to a Waldorf school...:D

We still used them to run off our copies when I was a graduate assistant! I had to give my students purple tests! This was in the early 90's but our department was too cheap to use a photocopier!

In the early 93-94 my middle school was so cheap that our teachers could only have class sets of worksheets in purple ink...So I would have to handwrite out the whole worksheet to mark the grammar errors.

When I started teaching in 1988 we still had ditto machines. They said they were cheaper than using the copy machine.

I used them up until around 2002 (not consistently though) when they mysteriously disappeared from the work room. They still worked, but I think there were only a handful of us who used them and the ink had run out and they just decided not to replace them.

Dawn

I used it when I was a teacher in the 80's and early 90's, until we switched to a copy machine. It was in the back area of the teacher's lounge and we called it Purple Poison.

(It was earlier than the 80s for me but...) So that is why the teachers always sent students to the office to collect the papers!? Who could forget those purple blue smudges on your fingers and clothes from a fresh copy.