Menu

I guess this is it...

Ok....I am just going to say it. It is not always just about " love.". That kind of love can take years...decades even. If he is a good father, a good provider, and a good man in general, you will not be better off without him.

The loveyishness that brought yountogether may just be maturing....

I am not sure of yournsituation...if he is cheating or abusive...a drug addict or an alcoholic...get out. If he is just not your cuppa anymore, I say try to find a way to make it work...even if it is just for your kids. Decide to be happy....and renew your commitment both to him and yourself.

I am not trying to be judgmental, I just see so many people throw away a perfectly fine marriage because they are not in " love" anymore, when they never got through those hard parts and learn to love one another for worse...

Unless you are in danger, or your kids are in danger, I would put off making any lasting decisions until your baby is older...and you can be more rested. Let your husband know you need what you need...and see how it goes. There is always a door out, but not always a door back in.

Praying,

Faithe

This is SO not helpful. Truly; the OP has posted that she's tried for years. Even if you don't believe her - even if you worry she's one of the superficial divorces, just let her be. Give her hugs, prayers, or ignore the thread.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time I ever disagreed with one of your posts. I am not sure kids are better off with a separated family. Statistics say no. The economic issues alone would have me disagreeing.

If a man is abusive, on drugs or cheating...I say run like hell. If not, maybe a deep look within and how you can make a marriage work is a better option. Marriage counseling, prayer, maybe even a vacation together will help...even if it is just to a nearby Super 8 for the night and some dinner out. Marriages fail because people cease to work on them. And no, I don't think it is one partner's fault. It is just no easy decision...and certainly a divorce because everything isn't all rosy is not in the best interest of kids or grown ups.

Faithe

I understand completely, Faithe. :001_smile:

I may have misunderstood RainbowSprinkles' post, but it sounded to me like this has been a long time coming, and that she has finally made a decision and is at peace with it. I sincerely doubt that she is doing this hastily or for selfish reasons, because she is so worried about how it will affect her kids, so I suspect she has already tried to see if she and her dh could work things out.

But I definitely agree with you that if there is no other reason than a couple feeling bored or like they don't have much in common anymore, it's worth trying to work on the marriage to see if things can change, because many marriages can be saved if both people are willing to work hard on it.

I could be totally off-base, but my impression was that RainbowSprinkles has been unhappy for quite some time and that she just can't take it anymore, so that's why I said that I think her children will be happier with a mom who isn't miserable.

Whatever the reasons for the divorce, I'm sad for her and her kids.

This is the first time I ever disagreed with one of your posts. I am not sure kids are better off with a separated family. Statistics say no. The economic issues alone would have me disagreeing.

If a man is abusive, on drugs or cheating...I say run like hell. If not, maybe a deep look within and how you can make a marriage work is a better option. Marriage counseling, prayer, maybe even a vacation together will help...even if it is just to a nearby Super 8 for the night and some dinner out. Marriages fail because people cease to work on them. And no, I don't think it is one partner's fault. It is just no easy decision...and certainly a divorce because everything isn't all rosy is not in the best interest of kids or grown ups.

Faithe

Why do you feel this discussion is even remotely appropriate? She did not ask for opinions and she should not have to explain or defend herself when she just posted for support. Marriages are complicated animals. Imposing your simplistic views does nothing positive here. Continuing to post would be cruel.

Lisa

Faithe, with all due respect, you've shared your opinion. Please let other people share theirs as well. I personally do not feel your negative posts are helping her at all. I know when my first marriage was breaking up, I would have been greatly offended by your attitude. And really I'm horrified for the OP regarding your posts. I think hounding your point is really offensive.

I'm so sorry. Divorce is so unpleasant, and that's even without kids.

I wish you strength and peace. I wish you a mutual agreement rather than a prolonged battle. I wish your kids a security in their future. :grouphug:

My wishes for you all, as well. :grouphug:

Ok....I am just going to say it. It is not always just about " love.". That kind of love can take years...decades even. If he is a good father, a good provider, and a good man in general, you will not be better off without him.

The loveyishness that brought yountogether may just be maturing....

I am not sure of yournsituation...if he is cheating or abusive...a drug addict or an alcoholic...get out. If he is just not your cuppa anymore, I say try to find a way to make it work...even if it is just for your kids. Decide to be happy....and renew your commitment both to him and yourself.

I am not trying to be judgmental, I just see so many people throw away a perfectly fine marriage because they are not in " love" anymore, when they never got through those hard parts and learn to love one another for worse...

Unless you are in danger, or your kids are in danger, I would put off making any lasting decisions until your baby is older...and you can be more rested. Let your husband know you need what you need...and see how it goes. There is always a door out, but not always a door back in.

Praying,

Faithe

I agree. I think people fall in and out of love on a regular basis, but if there is respect and trust, sometimes you need to hold on until it changes and you fall in love again. There are two young babies, 4 children total, and unless it is a horrible situation, if it were my daughter or son, I would encourage them to try to work it out. I have known a lot of people regret throwing in the towel too soon, I can't think of any that regretted trying to keep it together, even if it doesn't work.

:grouphug: no matter what happens!

Faithe, with all due respect, you've shared your opinion. Please let other people share theirs as well. I personally do not feel your negative posts are helping her at all. I know when my first marriage was breaking up, I would have been greatly offended by your attitude. And really I'm horrified for the OP regarding your posts. I think hounding your point is really offensive.

While I agree there might be a better time for that kind of advice, I truly doubt she is trying to be cruel. It sounds like she cares and is trying to be helpful. There was a point in my marriage a few years back that I TRULY felt it was OVER. I felt there was NO hope. I had thought it through. I had tried and tried and tried.

Then someone gave me the same kind of talk that Faithe is sharing and it made the BIGGEST difference. It was that advice that saved my marriage. That won't work for everyone but I am grateful someone did it for me. Even if it doesn't work for the OP (and it definitely is not thing everyone needs to hear), it might help, and therefore was worth posting. I believe Faithe had good intentions.

Faithe has given her advice and should probably let it go at that (JMHO) but let's not villify her for giving an alternate set of advice.

I understand completely, Faithe. :001_smile:

I may have misunderstood the OP, but it sounded to me like this has been a long time coming, and that she has finally made a decision and is at peace with it. I sincerely doubt that she is doing this hastily or for selfish reasons, because she is so worried about how it will affect her kids, so I suspect she has already tried to see if she and her dh could work things out.

But I definitely agree with you that if there is no other reason than a couple feeling bored or like they don't have much in common anymore, it's worth trying to work on the marriage to see if things can change, because many marriages can be saved if both people are willing to work hard on it.

I could be totally off-base, but my impression was that the OP has been unhappy for quite some time and that she just can't take it anymore, so that's why I said that I think her children will be happier with a mom who isn't miserable.

Whatever the reasons for the divorce, I'm sad for the OP and her kids.

Me too....I am not discompassionate or throwing knives.....I just feel so bad. I can remember many times in my marriage with many young children where I was just....so tired, and so frustrated...and I so wanted to shut the door and not go back. Many times....

But, through it all, I matured...dh matured...our kids got older...somehow, we muddled through. I think many times it was sheer laziness...neither one of us had the energy to just leave....and our marriage grew stronger.

I am not throwing darts, just love...and another perspective. It doesn't always work out....many times it doesn't.....and the OP can feel free to delete me...or ignore me....as can anyone else who wants to. I won't be offended. I was not being critical. I was being compassionate...and sharing my experience, maybe not in the best way.

To the OP, if I hurt you or stabbed you or in any way offended you, I am so sorry. I know you have enough on your plate without a bunch of busybodies sticking thier noses in and giving unasked for advice...:grouphug::grouphug: I just responded with my heart to a post which seemed a cry for help in the best way I knew how.

Some will agree with me...some will not. I have been married for 26 years. That is not a boast...just a credential. It has been hard work.

If the OP is done working on it...fine....but maybe...just maybe...she needs someone in her corner cheering her on to stay and work some more.

Again...if there is abuse, drugs or adultery....done. But, otherwise, i think my point of view is as valid as any other.

Faithe

I agree. I think people fall in and out of love on a regular basis, but if there is respect and trust, sometimes you need to hold on until it changes and you fall in love again. There are two young babies, 4 children total, and unless it is a horrible situation, if it were my daughter or son, I would encourage them to try to work it out. I have known a lot of people regret throwing in the towel too soon, I can't think of any that regretted trying to keep it together, even if it doesn't work.

:grouphug: no matter what happens!

I posted some months back, asking for opinions on divorcing with children. I've lived in an unhappy marriage for years. I asked for points of view. I received lots of food for thought.

The difference, ladies, is I came asking for opinions. This is not such a thread. She has made a decision and needs hugs. If you feel you can't give her unconditional, non-judgmental support, then you shouldn't post.

Joanne's post explained how painful it is to hear these comments when you're going through divorce. Everybody needs a comfortable place to fall sometimes. Let it go.

Lisa

I think Faithe meant well, too. She didn't say that RainbowSprinkles should remain in a marriage with an abusive, cheating, alcoholic, drug-addicted or otherwise-evil husband. My impression was that she was suggesting that if the OP was simply bored or feeling "out of love" with her dh, it might be worth trying to get the old sparks back and trying to work things out between them.

I assumed that RainbowSprinkles had already made every effort to work things out, but perhaps Faithe interpreted her posts differently than I did.

Whatever the case, I truly don't think Faithe meant to come across as unkind or uncaring.

Edited to add: I see that Faithe was posting while I was typing, and she explained herself far better than I just attempted to do!

I'm so sorry! If a person is not willing to get help/change there is really nothing anyone can do. Marriage is so hard. May you have strength and support through this time. :grouphug:

True story. It takes 2 to make a marriage work.

It only takes one to destroy one.

OP,

I went to a divorce class during my divorce. They even had one for my kids. It was Christian, but non denominational. It was wonderful, and helpful.

You can search for one in your area. I also found help here:

http://www.divorcecare.org/

And a good book:

http://www.amazon.com/Moms-House-Dads-Making-Homes/dp/0684830787/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323739613&sr=8-2

If your situation involves emotional or verbal abuse, PM me for more support info.

I posted some months back, asking for opinions on divorcing with children. I've lived in an unhappy marriage for years. I asked for points of view. I received lots of food for thought.

The difference, ladies, is I came asking for opinions. This is not such a thread. She has made a decision and needs hugs. If you feel you can't give her unconditional, non-judgmental support, then you shouldn't post.

Joanne's post explained how painful it is to hear these comments when you're going through divorce. Everybody needs a comfortable place to fall sometimes. Let it go.

Lisa

She is getting unconditional support. As well as non-judgment. I support her no matter what and this must be a heartbreaking point, to be able to write her post. But if you look at the title of the thread she used the word guess, if she is sure that her marriage is over, of course all she needs is love and support, but if there is any doubt then I believe it is very loving to offer hope that the marriage can be saved. More than one person has written that they thought they were on the brink of divorce and not only did the marriage survive, it got better. Yet some here have her already divorcing.

OP if you are sure, or this isn't your decision, but his, then of course I hope you know that everyone here is in your corner and sending you love and heartfelt prayers and hopes for peace. But if you have any doubts and are just exhausted and he is being cold, uncaring, or unloving then perhaps divorce is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There are many of us who have lived through the baby years with doubts and feelings of loneliness, but stuck it out and have even better marriages, now. If this isn't something that you are interested in, then I understand completely and would never want something I write to hurt you. I sat here for some time thinking if it was more unloving to write, or just ignore the thread as suggested. If there is any possibility that things could work out and get better then I think it would be less loving to you and your children not to say that there are people here who understand how awful you feel, but that it might get better. If I am way off base, then again I apologize, because I wouldn't want to do anything to make this harder.

I am not coming to this from a religious or judgmental place, I have been divorced, and I know sometimes there isn't anything that can or should be done. I also worked for years in the legal field in domestic law. If you are separating and you want to discuss financial ways to protect yourself, I will do my best to help, but all states are different.

I won't say anything further on this subject, because I don't want to take things off track or be less than supportive, but I did want to offer a different type of support and hope if it was wanted.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have seen how difficult it can be via my family members who have suffered through the trauma of divorce with small children.

If you are 100% sure it's final (and I thoroughly agree with Mommyfaithe that sometimes it might seem like it is, but some marriages do make a comeback eventually and one of the partners usually regrets ending it despite wanting the divorce in the first place), PROTECT YOURSELF. Get a good attorney, freeze your bank accounts, cancel joint credit cards. While things might seem fine and dandy now, one partner often hurts the other partner financially, and sometimes it's a hole that takes years to crawl out of.

Love on your kids.

The more cordial it is between you and your dh, the better off your kids will be. Try to see your dh as the man you once loved and still loves your children. I've seen some kids make it through a divorce relatively unscathed.

Blessings,

Laura

Thanks everyone. It's been a long time coming. I'm not even really sad about it. I'm heartbroken for my children, but the love between my husband and me has been long gone.

I'm crying, but not for me. I'm crying for my children and how their lives will change because two adults cannot make it work or are not willing to make it work.

I understand. You slowly went through your grieving process while the marriage was disintegrating, yet you remain sad for your children who may be just beginning to grieve now that the difficult decision has been made. I am sure you gave it your all before you decided it was the only viable option. I truly hope that all of you find peace and comfort.

Thanks everyone. It's been a long time coming. I'm not even really sad about it. I'm heartbroken for my children, but the love between my husband and me has been long gone.

I'm crying, but not for me. I'm crying for my children and how their lives will change because two adults cannot make it work or are not willing to make it work.

:grouphug: Wishing you strength and wisdom as you work through this with your children.

She is getting unconditional support. As well as non-judgment. I support her no matter what and this must be a heartbreaking point, to be able to write her post. But if you look at the title of the thread she used the word guess, if she is sure that her marriage is over, of course all she needs is love and support, but if there is any doubt then I believe it is very loving to offer hope that the marriage can be saved. More than one person has written that they thought they were on the brink of divorce and not only did the marriage survive, it got better. Yet some here have her already divorcing.

OP if you are sure, or this isn't your decision, but his, then of course I hope you know that everyone here is in your corner and sending you love and heartfelt prayers and hopes for peace. But if you have any doubts and are just exhausted and he is being cold, uncaring, or unloving then perhaps divorce is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There are many of us who have lived through the baby years with doubts and feelings of loneliness, but stuck it out and have even better marriages, now. If this isn't something that you are interested in, then I understand completely and would never want something I write to hurt you. I sat here for some time thinking if it was more unloving to write, or just ignore the thread as suggested. If there is any possibility that things could work out and get better then I think it would be less loving to you and your children not to say that there are people here who understand how awful you feel, but that it might get better. If I am way off base, then again I apologize, because I wouldn't want to do anything to make this harder.

I am not coming to this from a religious or judgmental place, I have been divorced, and I know sometimes there isn't anything that can or should be done. I also worked for years in the legal field in domestic law. If you are separating and you want to discuss financial ways to protect yourself, I will do my best to help, but all states are different.

I won't say anything further on this subject, because I don't want to take things off track or be less than supportive, but I did want to offer a different type of support and hope if it was wanted.

:iagree::grouphug:to the OP:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Obviously sometimes divorce is necessary and the absolute, right thing to do. Also, sometimes marriages can be saved as long as abuse and what not are not factors.

Again, :grouphug: to the OP. I am sorry that you are experiencing this.

I know this is completely anecdotal but after reading some of the previous comments I just want to add that my mother divorced my father when she was pregnant with me. My older sister was still a baby (we are 18 months apart in age). You read all the devastating statistics but really there are some great success stories. My parents were just not good at being marital partners but they remained friends and excellent co-parents. My mother completed a Masters and a PhD as a "single" parent and my father remained heavily involved in our parenting.

My sister and I have both been in solid 10+ year marriages and are very happy people. It doesn't always turn out per the statistics. I am Catholic and I DO think partners should make every possible effort to stay together but if it just cannot work out then that doesn't mean a terrible outcome for the children of the divorced parents.

I wish you and your family all the best. :grouphug:

(((hugs)))

Take care of YOU and your kids.

Be stealthy. Make plans. Talk to a lawyer. Hoard cash. Get a PO Box. Get a credit card (or two) in your OWN NAME. Open a bank account IN YOUR OWN NAME. You may not be able to get those accounts once you are separated, so do it now. NOT joint accounts. Use the PO Box for the mailing addy for those accounts.

The day you move out, cancel ALL joint cards and accounts, unless directed otherwise by your lawyer.

Keep track of all the money you move (if you can move it) so that you can make it all fair in the end (as directed by the lawyer), but meanwhile, hoard cash so you can have access to money to pay for what you need for the months/years it takes to get an agreement in place.

I'm not saying to do anything illegal or unfair. There are fair and legal ways to protect yourself from craziness that might erupt when the deed is done. Talk to a lawyer. NOW.

:crying: I look at how close the ages are to my own kids and it makes me so sad.

:grouphug: I am so sorry that your marriage is ending. My dh knows that divorce is not an option, only death. :leaving:

I don't know where you are at on your path but if there is the tiniest flicker left in your marriage fan it for all that it is worth. I realize it takes two and I am sorry for your loss and your children's loss and your dh's loss. I'll be praying for your family. :grouphug: