Menu

Help me dream - does this place exist in the US?

pgr

We are thinking of moving, and are looking for the ideal (for us) place to finally settle down.

I will preface the list of "wants" with a disclaimer :D - obviously, I realize that no place is going to have it all and etc.... But it's fun to dream, and we're starting with a list of ideals, that may be totally unrealistic as a whole. I will appreciate all the suggestions I can get as well.

We lived in upstate NY- climate and topography were ideal (job market was not).

We currently live near Pittsburgh - cultural advantages are great, topography not so much...

So... What city or state comes the closest to this:

Snowy winters, not necessarily numbingly cold,

Reasonable (not too too hot and muggy) summers,

Ideally, we'd like 5-10 acres of somewhat private land, but not all on a 45 degree angle in the mountains...

We like green - trees, forests etc. And lakes or rivers are nice as well. :)

Must be near a major medical facility for DH's job.

Would love fairly easy access to museums, good libraries, etc.

Family is in WV and NC, so we'd hope to stay in the Northeast or Midwest.

Friendly HS laws would be a huge plus (does it get any worse than NY or PA? Though I've not yet had to report yet- our eldest is 6).

Please post your ideas/suggestions!

Thank you! :)

West Michigan

No homeschool regulations.

Snowy winters, fairly nice summers.

Rural areas very close to the city.

Lots of trees, lakes, rivers...

Major medical in Grand Rapids, including recent expansion of Michigan State's medical school.

Edited by teachaheart
Hit post too soon.

Poconos, in PA, Allentown, Reading, Scranton, etc. Chester County if you want to be closer to Philly.

Delaware, south of Wilmington.

Do NOT let PA's hs laws deter you. Yes, they're a pain, but honestly it's a bit of paperwork for a couple of days once a year. If you're doing anything remotely WTM, you'll be just fine.

Come over to the other side of PA! We live in PA north of Baltimore. I work in a hospital (large, trauma center) and there are others nearby. Easy drive to Philly, Baltimore, or DC and many historic sites. Decent weather. Lots of our friends live on 10+ acres. We have 3 large lakes and a great river nearby (we love to canoe) and several beautiful state parks close by.

FWIW, I love Pittsburgh and envy you a little right now. I'd love to live there again someday!

West Michigan

No homeschool regulations.

Snowy winters, fairly nice summers.

Rural areas very close to the city.

Lots of trees, lakes, rivers...

Major medical in Grand Rapids, including recent expansion of Michigan State's medical school.

I second this. Great sandy beaches, family friendly culture, zero homeschool regulations, affordable housing, terrific museums and culture, expanding medical opportunities.

We have a many of these criteria in Virginia (outside of Northern and VA Beach area)

- Major medical facilities in Charlottesville, Roanoke, and Richmond, with rural counties nearby

- We get snow but not tons (usually)

- Homeschool laws are reasonable; testing is reqd but you can opt for a religious exemption and they can't say/do anything

- It can get humid in the summer, though less so as you head west of Richmond

- Culture, libraries, museums

- Trees, mountains, lakes, farmland, beautiful fall leaves

Poconos, in PA, Allentown, Reading, Scranton, etc. Chester County if you want to be closer to Philly.

Delaware, south of Wilmington.

Do NOT let PA's hs laws deter you. Yes, they're a pain, but honestly it's a bit of paperwork for a couple of days once a year. If you're doing anything remotely WTM, you'll be just fine.

iPad ate my detailed response, so I 'll just ditto Pauline!

Central/Southwest or Southeast Virginia (Richmond, Charlottesville area or Virginia Beach, Williamsburg area). The only clincher would be the low humidity - not happening in Virginia, but moreso the further south and west you go. Being near the beach could take the sting out of that though.

Virginia is everything else on your list. Richmond and Charlottesville have excellent hospitals (MCV and UVa Medical Center). The land is relatively inexpensive compared to the Northern Virginia area. We get snow, but usually not more than about 6 inches at a time and only a few times per winter. Homeschooling laws are a cinch. And we have excellent state schools (UVa, William & Mary, James Madision U., George Mason U., Virginia Commonwealth U. and many more.) The humidity can be oppressive, but you get used to it and there is always a/c if you want to get out of it.

Well, you had me until you said you wanted to stay in the East. I'd recommend Utah. We meet all your requirements otherwise. :D

Utah is not green; it is a brown desert. I assumed when the OP was talking about the beautiful topography of upstate NY, she wanted that kind of green. Utah does not compare at all. However, I will say that despite my hatred of its weather and brownness, it's a rather nice place to live. Lots of nice people, low cost of living, lots of things to do, easy homeschool requirements.

Central/Southwest or Southeast Virginia (Richmond, Charlottesville area or Virginia Beach, Williamsburg area). The only clincher would be the low humidity - not happening in Virginia, but moreso the further south and west you go. Being near the beach could take the sting out of that though.

Virginia is everything else on your list. Richmond and Charlottesville have excellent hospitals (MCV and UVa Medical Center). The land is relatively inexpensive compared to the Northern Virginia area. We get snow, but usually not more than about 6 inches at a time and only a few times per winter. Homeschooling laws are a cinch. And we have excellent state schools (UVa, William & Mary, James Madision U., George Mason U., Virginia Commonwealth U. and many more.) The humidity can be oppressive, but you get used to it and there is always a/c if you want to get out of it.

:iagree:

Utah is not green; it is a brown desert. I assumed when the OP was talking about the beautiful topography of upstate NY, she wanted that kind of green. Utah does not compare at all. However, I will say that despite my hatred of its weather and brownness, it's a rather nice place to live. Lots of nice people, low cost of living, lots of things to do, easy homeschool requirements.

Ditto for Colorado. On all counts except low cost of living.

The area around Ann Arbor MI. You get all the benefits of a big university town surrounded by farm land. There are museums, a great public library system, lots of farmers markets, food coops, etc. (not to mention the medical school and huge university medical center and the local hospitals). I understand the homeschooling laws are very simple in MI.

Rochester, Minnesota -- definitely!! :)

OR twin cities area! :D I think MN homeschooling laws are easy, and they even got easier this year. We live within 10 miles of at least a dozen museums and a dozen theaters. The cultural resources are abundant. Fabulous farmer's markets too. We live within a few miles of several of those too.

Edited by kck

Around the Hanover, NH area (which does include parts of VT). Dartmouth is a major medical facility. An hour or two to great museums in Boston. Lots of green forests, along the Connecticut River, with snowy winters good for outdoor winter fun, and beautiful summers. Plenty of land to be had... and homeschooling here is easy.

Minnesota sounds more like what you are looking for.

:iagree: I would say southeastern Minnesota, southern wisconsin or maybe Michigan. Lush green, especially by the Mississppi River Valley, lots and lots and lots and lots of lakes and rivers. Rochester is huge medical area.

I also vote Michigan. We lived there 2 years and it's exactly what you described.

Nebraska might not be a bad choice either. Lots of cities large enough to have major medical facilities and plenty of stuff to keep you busy, but a 10 minute drive will take you out into the country. Easy homeschooling laws. Nice weather. Not quite as picturesque as Michigan, but cornfields can have their own sort of beauty.

I would recommend SW Ohio. I have been very happy here. There are major hospitals in Cincinnati or even more centrally in Columbus. If you consider Cincinnati, not only are there great living possibilities in Ohio, you could look at the Northern Kentucky area, which is where I grew up. I loved it there.

I live in Dayton which is about an hour from Cincinnati and Columbus and has many areas which have potential for land ownership. I don't know how major of a medical facility you need but I work for the biggest hospital system in our region and it has a level I trauma center. There are a lot of opportunities here for homeschoolers.

Edited by littlebug42
Not finished yet.

I would recommend SW Ohio. I have been very happy here. There are major hospitals in Cincinnati or even more centrally in Columbus. If you consider Cincinnati, not only are there great living possibilities in Ohio, you could look at the Northern Kentucky area, which is where I grew up. I loved it there.

:iagree: We used to live in NKY and really miss it!

See, Denver seems really green to me, but that's in comparison to Wyoming. Which is not green. :lol:

My brother visited my one June. I thought he would be impressed by the lush green spring we were having... but he's from the midwest. He said, "Wow, it's really brown here..."

Just depends on your perspective.

I live in Dayton which is about an hour from Cincinnati and Columbus and has many areas which have potential for land ownership. I don't know how major of a medical facility you need but I work for the biggest hospital system in our region and it has a level I trauma center. There are a lot of opportunities here for homeschoolers.

I'm so glad that you recommended SW Ohio! That's encouraging since my husband is working there now, and the children and I will be heading that way in a couple of months.

Wow - thank you all so much! Michigan seems to be a top contender. I actually intend to look at every single suggestion with my DH, though. :D

We were casually thinking Madison, WI or Urbana-Champaign, IL. Interesting that the Hive is not really thinking that... :lol:

See, Denver seems really green to me, but that's in comparison to Wyoming. Which is not green. :lol:

I'm from Littleton and went to college in Utah (still stuck here). I never noticed it until I went to meet my DH's family in upstate NY. It's painfully obvious once you've been. I really want to live somewhere that green. It's so pretty

Another vote for Michigan.

We live in the Southeast portion. I personally think the Detroit area is not so pretty (I am NOT a city person :tongue_smilie: ) but once you get out into the country (i.e. Lapeer county, etc) it is very pretty. You have trees, many lakes including Lake Huron, and rivers. Hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping are great here.

Oakland and Macomb counties have HUGE homeschooling support: sports (soccer, track, ice skating, gymnastics, etc.), a variety of 4H groups, drama, choir & band that participate in state competitions, Odyssey of the Mind groups, and many social outings such as skating parties (the annual Halloween skating party draws in 70+ homeschool kids), park days, etc etc.

Lots of medical centers (Critteton Medical Center, the Beaumont medical system, Ford medical centers) are located here.

Canada is just a hop over the bridge. I haven't had a chance to visit Windsor, but I hear it is really nice.

Michigan laws are among the most relaxed. Even so, the homeschool community really keeps alert to potential legislation that may affect MI homeschoolers adversely.

Economy stinks here in the automotive industry but you can find land and a home cheaper than ever before because of the situation.

When DH and I were talking about where we wanted to live after he gets his Master's degree, Michigan remains in our short list of desirable locations. If we stay in MI, we'll either stay in the southeast area or move towards Grand Rapids. Either way, you can't go wrong. :001_smile: