Menu

Help me dream - does this place exist in the US?

pgr

Mid-Missouri - excellent cost of living and standard of living, great four season weather (although there are some hot days in the summer), options for homes on lots of acreage or smaller plats, and the area is second only to Rochester, MN for physicians per capita....not only is there a strong presence of private practice doctors in the region, there are (between Moberly and Lake of the Ozarks, Booneville and Fulton) over a dozen hospitals, and in Columbia there is the University of Missouri School of Medicine. Missouri is also amongst the best states to homeschool and mid-Missouri has an extensive network of homeschool groups - tons of families out here homeschool!

Wow - thank you all so much! Michigan seems to be a top contender. I actually intend to look at every single suggestion with my DH, though. :D

We were casually thinking Madison, WI or Urbana-Champaign, IL. Interesting that the Hive is not really thinking that... :lol:

I know nothing about homeschool laws in WI but before Madison I would consider the Oshkosh/Appleton/Fox River Valley area.

What side of Pittsburgh are you on? We are to the east, and there's farmland on fairly flat to rolling hills. It isn't much different than where I grew up in Syracuse. Some of the land is a bit hilly, but there are plenty of farmettes/hobby farms on workable land here. Prices aren't wonderful for anything with a few acres. It can be a tough commute to get into Pittsburgh. It takes us an hour to get from here to Magee, for example.

Have you tried looking at anything else within this general area? It would probably be a little easier on you than a longer move. Plus I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Pittsburgh/Carnegie libraries! I can't imagine going from these libraries to anything else.

I know nothing about homeschool laws in WI but before Madison I would consider the Oshkosh/Appleton/Fox River Valley area.

Hmmm - why? I don't know those areas at all, so I'm genuinely asking :). We were thinking Madison because my parents loved it the short year we lived there - I was barely 3 yrs old; I'm sure things have changed some... ;)

What side of Pittsburgh are you on? We are to the east, and there's farmland on fairly flat to rolling hills. It isn't much different than where I grew up in Syracuse. Some of the land is a bit hilly, but there are plenty of farmettes/hobby farms on workable land here. Prices aren't wonderful for anything with a few acres. It can be a tough commute to get into Pittsburgh. It takes us an hour to get from here to Magee, for example.

Have you tried looking at anything else within this general area? It would probably be a little easier on you than a longer move. Plus I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Pittsburgh/Carnegie libraries! I can't imagine going from these libraries to anything else.

We're NW of the city - near McCandless / Franklin Park. My DH works in Aliquippa, Sewickley and Ohio Valley hospital near Moon. He can be called in in the middle of the night, so a relatively short commute is fairly important ...

I agree about the libraries :)

Edited by pgr

Hmmm - why? I don't know those areas at all, so I'm genuinely asking :). We were thinking Madison because my parents loved it the short year we lived there - I was barely 3 yrs old; I'm sure things have changed some... ;)

Its been years since I was there but from what I recall and what I hear from a friend in the area it seems like a nice family centered area. Lots of activities in all areas and a bit less hustle and bustle than Madison without a whole lot being sacrificed.

Well everything you want is in Central PA. Put a pin in Harrisburg and then start looking for 30-50 miles all around it.

We live an hour drive North of Harrisburg-not far from Geisinger Medical Center Danville (a big medical center). It a beautiful area that would meet most all your wants. It has mountains in ranges with valleys in between, snow in the winter and not terribly hot summers usually. Hershey Medical Center is also really big and close to a lot of stuff-Harrisburg, Lancaster Co, Philly... I grew up in the Poconos-beautiful area as well.

We have no problems easily complying with the homeschool law here.

OR twin cities area! :D I think MN homeschooling laws are easy, and they even got easier this year. We live within 10 miles of at least a dozen museums and a dozen theaters. The cultural resources are abundant. Fabulous farmer's markets too. We live within a few miles of several of those too.

:iagree: I love Minnesota. I live in Douglas county, which is sort of in the southwest part of central MN, and when I post pictures from where I live on facebook, people from other states can't believe how beautiful it is. For scenery, it really is like Eden in the warmer months. And even in our little town of less than ten thousand people, we have farmers markets, health food stores, museums, a wonderful library... We're only a couple hours from the cities, and the opportunities there are amazing.

You could check out Duluth, too. They have a couple of good-sized hospitals, and Duluth is probably the most beautiful area in the state, and it always has fun stuff going on.