Menu

2 Christmas trees in the house; excessive? Fine?

Two Christmas trees opinion  

1. 1. Two Christmas trees opinion

• Yes, it's excessive and showy
    • No, it's perfectly fine
    • We don't put up pagan symbols in our house; YMMV
    • Who cares? Put up 10 trees. So what.
    • Bean dip

We have an artificial 9' tree that we've used for the past 15 years. This is nice enough, but I have wanted for a few years to be able to have the tree in a different place in the house. We can't do that with the 9', as there is only one room with a ceiling tall enough for that.

So, I finally got a 7.5' tree this year. (Remember the truck thread? :D) I thought we'd use this tree, in the Sunroom, which would be beautiful and different from what we've done before.

My dd is horrified. She loves our big, majestic tree in the Family Room. So I said, "Fine. We'll put up both." She thinks that's excessive and show-offy. :rolleyes: Truthfully though, I thought that about someone else who had multiple trees. :tongue_smilie: Bad kharma coming back to me.

So, what's the Hive opinion? Is it excessive to have two trees? Should I have just the smaller tree and tell dd to get over it? Should I put up all the trees I have and don't give a flip how it seems?

Poll coming. :001_smile:

Both my parents and my in-laws have two trees. They both have larger houses and use them both the same way. One of the trees is a beautifully decorated, almost professional-looking tree. It is usually in the main entry or more formal area. The other is the family tree and has all the kid's ornaments and traditional stuff. It is usually in the family room or basement, and it is the one they put presents under.

I've known people to decorate with Christmas trees, so I don't think it's excessive.

But...

Ours isn't really a decoration, per se; it's...oh, IDK, more than that, I guess, so having one is enough. Maybe it's the same for your dd. Does she like traditions and things to be the same year after year? I do. I like the sense of home I get from that, the sense of rhythm, almost. It's comforting.

Sometimes I put a tiny, 12in tree with mini-decorations in the vanity bathroom as a decoration, but that's totally different to me than having two or more full-sized ones. Kinda what you grow up with, too.

I've known people to decorate with Christmas trees, so I don't think it's excessive.

But...

Ours isn't really a decoration, per se; it's...oh, IDK, more than that, I guess, so having one is enough. Maybe it's the same for your dd. Does she like traditions and things to be the same year after year? I do. I like the sense of home I get from that, the sense of rhythm, almost. It's comforting.

Sometimes I put a tiny, 12in tree with mini-decorations in the vanity bathroom as a decoration, but that's totally different to me than having two or more full-sized ones. Kinda what you grow up with, too.

Yes. She loves it the way we've always done it. I do love our traditional ornaments and such, but I want the decorating in the house as a whole to look different from what we've done in the past. I just want it changed up, that's all. Don't want to mindlessly do the same thing. :001_smile:

Dang it. I accidentally clicked yes, but I meant yes as in "yes, that's awesome, do it!"

We have a small 4.5 foot tree on a table in our living room and a 7.5 foot tree in the front family room.

This is our first Christmas in America in our own home in 4 years and I wanted it, so I did it. The end. ;) I'm so over people's opinions.

Also, I have only blue/silver pretties on the 7.5 foot tree. The 4.5 foot tree has the kids' ornaments.

I just wanted a pretty tree, you know? Like one tree that actually looks decent? But I also love the kids' ornaments, so they get their own space.

My dh grew up with 2 trees. One was theirs, the other was the step family. They were on opposite sides of the family room. Dh's changed and was real and decorated by children. The step family's was fake and identical every year.

Whatever works for your family.

We have a small house. I don't like putting up the one we have. And we can't have real because of allergies. And we're in the desert and it dies within a week. I love Christmas decorations, but the tree? Not so much.

Noticed your dd is 14...I remember that being an age when I also wanted things to be the same from year to year. It gave me comfort and stability and I would have hated it if something big like Christmas was changed just for the sake of changing it!

That being said...I love having two trees. We have one more formal one downstairs in the living room and one upstairs with all the handmade kiddy ornaments and...colored lights (that was a big no no when I was growing up!)

We once lived in a house where we had two trees every year. It was fine in that house but it would be excessive if we had two on the same floor in the house because you can see every space downstairs from every other space. Now it would work to have one on each floor but I am not going to be here so I am not going to bother with decorating at all.

This is one of those personal preference issues. Our home has no place to put up a second and I probably wouldn't do it anyways as I would then have to take 2 trees down.:tongue_smilie:

I don't think it is excessive though if you and your family;)can come to an agreement.

We have our main tree in the living room. Years ago, dh started the tradition that when you are 4 years old, you get to have your own small tree in your room (he had one as a kid). Dd has one and ds is finally old enough to get one this year. So we will have 3 total. :001_smile:

My papa always topped a tree in the woods for my room. Just big enough to go on my dresser. it's one of my favorite memories and I have small trees for my kids room that they decorate themselves.

It is fairly common in my micro-culture to put up 2 trees. One is family oriented with the kids' homemade stuff, etc. and would go in the family room, den, TV room, whatever. The other is more formal and would be color coordinated, probably placed in the parlor, front room, formal room, company room, whatever.

I myself have done the 2 tree thing for about 3 or 4 years when my sister and mother handed me down a tree and frilly stuff to go on it. Apparently I don't have enough Christmas spirit to keep it up though. The kids take charge of the family tree and nobody wants to help with the fancy tree. I'm not putting it up this year. :tongue_smilie:

But I think it's awesome when people have a tree in every room of the house. They should come and decorate my house. :D

If I could, I'd put up a tree in every public room. A little one in the kitchen decorated with candy canes and homemade cinammon ornaments. A nice one in the livingroom with coordinated ornaments. A tree in the family room with kids' ornaments. A small one in the dining room with ornaments to match the tablecloth. I don't want to invest that kind of money, though, until we are in our last house. It would be a pain to spend a hundred dollars on stuff that will work in one house but not another.

Both my parents and my in-laws have two trees. They both have larger houses and use them both the same way. One of the trees is a beautifully decorated, almost professional-looking tree. It is usually in the main entry or more formal area. The other is the family tree and has all the kid's ornaments and traditional stuff. It is usually in the family room or basement, and it is the one they put presents under.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

(With the exception of it being my parents) I know lots of people growing up that did this exact thing. One in the more formal family room or entry and one in living room.

We have three trees that go up every year. One is the one we all decorate and the gifts will go under. One is a three foot tall Americana decorated tree that goes on a table or mantle. The third tree we make a project tree out of, and every year it gets completely decorated with new homemade decorations. It's really fun and special.

We are not excessive at all, but love having all these Christmas trees around. I actually have ideas about two or three more for our home. Maybe some year.

how old is your dd?

My living room is the 9' tree (downsized from a 10' tree. that one foot made it much easier to decorate.) with decorations ranging from european $gla$$ to kid kraft projects that haven't disintigrated. very eclectic. some older than me, some much more recent. combination white lights and "candle" lights. Presents go under it.

I do have an aversion to "theme" trees - and do consider them tacky. that said: one year, I started making crochet snowflakes, and thought how fun it would be to do an entire tree of them. I was aghast :eek: I was planning a themed tree:svengo:, I put it in my famiy room. I made a rule, everything had to be homemade, and stick to the outdoor snow theme. I have about 200 snowflakes - each different, icicles made from various size/shape crystal beads, glass balls spraypainted white with iridescent ultrafine glitter, clear glass balls, spruce cones with ultrafine giltter, white lights - you get the idea. You can practically feel the cold coming off the tree. ;)

I bought my first (I restrained myself) clip-on glass bird, and have thought how cool it would be to have a 2 1/2 foot tree with nothing but the birds . . . . (maybe when children actually move out!)

Edited by gardenmom5

I put up five trees. One in the family room , an O.S.U tree in my office, dd has a white tree with funky ornaments in her room, our dining room has a peace, love, hippie tree and we do a nature tree on the front lawn. After Christmas, I will be looking for peach colored ornaments for our bedroom. It is genetic. All five sisters do the same :)