Menu

Can you all list some reason for alphabetizing "in real life"?

Dd is whining like there's no tomorrow. What does she have to do? Alphabetize 25 words. She wrote them on index cards so she can move them around before writing.

Her whine is that she'll never need this skill.

Can you guys list some IRL reasons we need to know this stuff? I know quite a few, but being mom, my reasons are not good enough!

Finding books on the shelf at the library?

Also, our library has their magazines filed alphabetically.

Don't know if anyone does this anymore, but I used to work in an office and all our (paper) files were alphabetized.

Actually, your computer lists your files alphabetically, so it saves time knowing where to go in a larger directory.

If you go to a new doctor's (lawyer's, whatever) office and it is in a large building, you can look up the name and suite number on the directory posted in the lobby.

Aids in using a map or atlas.

Filing documents. I've worked in several places that probably still maintain printed records. The stack moves quickly if you know how to alphabetize to the third and fourth letter well.

alphabetizing your pantry

Some people alphabetize their book collections, if you work in the library, if you use a library.

If you look up baby names on babynames.com (I do that for picking characters in my writing)

In case your smart phone and computer die on the same day, you should have written record of your contacts, preferably alphabetized.

Looking up words in a dictionary.

Amazing your friends with feats of organization. :tongue_smilie:

My son balks, but he has to do it too.

I work in pharmacy and our drugs are filed alphabetically.

Patients prescriptions are filed alphbetically the drawer by name.

Any list of names, is quite often alphabetical.

Just looking around my room for ideas:

Sheet music is filed alphabetically at the store.

Movies are alphabetical in the store, at rental locations, and sometimes on Netflix etc.

Vitamins are somewhat alphabetical in the store.

I alphabetize my spices. I have 40 spice bottles on the inside of two cupboard doors. I have about 10 more on the inside of another cupboard (hey, 20 jars on the inside of one door is all I can reach!), but those are mostly cookie sprinkles, and very random spices. We have larger spice containers we use for refills that dh alphabetizes. It is SO much faster to find what you're looking for than to sort through them all and wonder if you're just out of it.

She needs this skill to be organized in her own life.

Her first job may entail collecting membership cards at the local pool or gym. I cannot say the number of times my cards could not be found at the end of a visit. Many people who work in these places have no idea whether to put a card under the first or last name. Many do not seem know that you don't merely put a card in a slot simply because the slot is empty (not many people have "Q" at the beginning of their name, that's why the slot is empty).

One of the databases my office maintains is alphabetized by last name. It's often faster for me to find the name rather than do the search function.

Many people's first jobs no matter what they trained to do required some organizational skills like filing. She should know how to do it so she will be efficient and promoted beyond such tasks.

Finding the right subject in the Rainbow Resource Catalog. :D

Looking up ANYTHING in old records. (Will your dd do any sort of historical research? Old scientific research? Old Lit research?) Some things you can only find in old texts.

Finding which section of the college bookstore has your textbook that you need in the next hour for your college classes.

ETA: Finding the pizza section in the phone book.

(not many people have "Q" at the beginning of their name, that's why the slot is empty).

My parents noticed this, too, and used it to their advantage!!

My parents could never find their pictures quickly at Costco...they inspected the alphabet spots, concluded that Q was the emptiest, and started filing their pictures under their new last name of "Q[real lastname]," so, if their name was formerly Smith, for the purposes of finding their pictures, their name was Qsmith! They said it cut down a few minutes each time they picked up photos!

I think it's a dying skill, honestly. I would imagine that in the future, it actually will be needed less because we use it for browseable organization systems - hard copy files, books on a shelf, names in a phone book - and we're moving toward solely searchable organization systems. But it's hardly dead yet, so you definitely still need it, nor is it terribly hard to learn.

Our youth group plays word games where the answers need to be in alphabetical order (sorry, I can't think of any of them now) . Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to be part of a group of kids playing around, and not know which letter is next? Heck, I've seen kids need to line up in alphabetical order, sorting themselves by first or last name, at various classes or whatnot.

I am all for learning the skill. I've even taught it to my children. Yet I must ask, do you all really pick up that fat blue thing on your desk...just inches away from your browser anymore? I know I do not.

Do I get the Colosseum thumbs down? lol

What blue thing are you talking about?

Our phone book is yellow.

What blue thing are you talking about?

Our phone book is yellow.

Maybe the dictionary? Except ours is red; the only blue things on my desk are the router and the checkbook. Oh, and a Totoro refrigerator magnet (what's that doing in here?).

And it's true -- I tend to look up definitions and spellings online rather than consult a dictionary.

At our local children's theater, the kids get a little punch card after every show for good behavior backstage, caring for costume, returning mics, etc. After putting everything away and getting their punches, they can take it to the concessions for a treat. I alphabetize those cards by the kids' names so I can hand them out quickly.

I'm truly amazed at those of you who file your spices alphabetically! That's cool that your brain works that way.

Mine are on a lazy susan, and grouped by taste. :)

I'm an alphabetizer by nature, but mine are grouped by use/taste. :001_smile:

In addition to all of these reasons, there's the fact that even if she never had to alphabetize one single thing her entire life, her brain would be more nimble for having learned it. Categorizing and organizing are logic skills, and learning any of them strengthens you ability learn more.