Menu

At what age would you allow your daughter to have her own iphone?

At what age would you allow your dd to have a personal iphone?  

1. 1. At what age would you allow your dd to have a personal iphone?

• 10 or under
    • 18 or up
    • Never

Cost considerations aside (and knowing that all children are different, etc.) at what age would you allow your daughter to have a personal iphone?

When she is old enough to pay for the data plan and be able to replace it in case of damage. I realize this could be considered "cost consideration", but IMO it isn't about the money but about the responsibility. We can certainly afford to pay for the plans for our kids, but we only purchase a basic phone (due to necessity since they work). If they want a smart phone, they have to be able to pay for a year of the plan and if it is broken they get the old basic phone back. We still pay the basic coverage - they just pay for the data.

I know one young lady who has trashed 4 or 5 iPhones in the past 2 years. She drops them on the concrete, in the toilet, etc.

So, I guess it's not really an age thing for us but rather a responsibility issue.

I'm fine with it at whatever age the child can pay for her own data plan; consistently. I'd probably want proof of at least 6 months payment, figuring they'd have time to earn or be gifted the remainder. My kids are good for it, so far.

:iagree:When they have a job and can pay for it themselves. We buy them a regular phone when they start driving for emergencies but they pay for smart phones, texting, etc...*I* don't even have a smart phone!

IMO, one of the main dangers of smart phones is the unmonitored access to the internet. Our computers are in public places for a reason. No private internet use for our children. I wouldn't even consider that type of freedom until the late teens.

I would never pay for a smart phone for our kids at any age. That's one of life's perks that they will have to pay for themselves.

DS 14 will be getting an iPhone when he can upgrade next March. He's only getting a smart phone because the prices of iPhones have dropped. Right now he has a basic texting phone. Dh and I both have iPhones. I'll actually be glad when we're an all iPhone family. FWIW, we don't have a landline.

Edited by floridamom

When she is old enough to pay for the data plan and be able to replace it in case of damage. I realize this could be considered "cost consideration", but IMO it isn't about the money but about the responsibility. We can certainly afford to pay for the plans for our kids, but we only purchase a basic phone (due to necessity since they work). If they want a smart phone, they have to be able to pay for a year of the plan and if it is broken they get the old basic phone back. We still pay the basic coverage - they just pay for the data.

I know one young lady who has trashed 4 or 5 iPhones in the past 2 years. She drops them on the concrete, in the toilet, etc.

So, I guess it's not really an age thing for us but rather a responsibility issue.

Totally this.

I'm another one in the when she can buy it/pay for the plan camp. I just have a Tracfone that I pay $100/year for, the phone only cost $30 or so. The three children old enough to use a phone share one Tracfone among the three of them. They can upgrade when they can pay for another phone/plan.

I didn't vote. My answer is Whenever she could pay for it and the service.

I will provide my kids a pay-as-you go phone with enough minutes for me to find out where they are when they're old enough to be without me. But I'm not paying for a smart phone and service for a kid. :D Was that a stern answer? :lol: I've had some experience with teens and phones, and I have these rules for a reason.

I said 16. My dd uses my Android phone all the time to look up directions, things on the internet, etc. When she starts driving, an iPhone would be great for her. She is also learning computer programming and was just reading a book on creating iPhone apps the other day.

I wouldn't allow it any younger, because we don't allow unrestricted internet until a child is at least 16 and shows him or herself worthy. My dd is very close age-wise and definitely there maturity wise.

IMO, one of the main dangers of smart phones is the unmonitored access to the internet. Our computers are in public places for a reason. No private internet use for our children. I wouldn't even consider that type of freedom until the late teens.

I would never pay for a smart phone for our kids at any age. That's one of life's perks that they will have to pay for themselves.

:iagree:

Well said, and I totally agree.

When she can pay for the data plan and phone. We provide our kids with basic cell phones with texting. Even that is a bit ridiculous. I can't imagine paying a data plan in addition!

On Sprint - there is just one charge for data - not per phone. It would be silly for us to get a phone that was non-data when we don't pay extra to use it.

:iagree:

Blech. Data plans are so expensive. My 13 year old has an iPhone, but it was handed down from my brother to be used as an iPod. He doesn't have data, because I'm too cheap for that. If he had it, my other kids would want and and it would add a ton to our already ridiculous bill. Also, I'd really want insurance or a warranty on a smart phone (we don't have it on their cells now because they can be replaced somewhat inexpensively). So, the answer is, when I'm rich? :laugh:

:iagree: Insurance is $6 a month but the deductible on a smart phone is still $99 (verizon.) My 18yo found this out 2 weeks after he got his (because he dropped it and the screen broke!)

My youngest two got cell phones when they went off to PS (middle school - 6th grade, so about 11) because they were always off at different events and we needed a way for everyone to keep in touch. They currently have Blackberries but Sprint is doing away with our plan in Dec. and our contract will expire then. So everyone will be changing to Smart phones in for Christmas (except me if I can help it). We are going to go with a Verizon service plan which my oldest dd has and is happy with. It is $35 per month (about the same as we are paying now) for unlimited date and 300 minutes. We currently have a group minute plan and the five of use don't us 300 minutes together per month. My girls already have their own computers and cell phones with web so it won't really be any different. We have their passwords and can check up on them when we want plus olders sisters monitor as well and know when something important needs to be reported to mom and when they can easily deal with it themself or just watch the situation carefully. It works for us. All of my dds' friends have phones as well and most of them have the newest technology, whatever that happens to be. We are always lagging behind which suits me just fine. I am still using a tv from 1993 and my toaster is over 20 years old. :001_smile:

you know, with the 3gs being offered for free, if you already have an Iphone family plan and get the cheapest data plan (15$), an Iphone can cost you 25$ per month. It costs 10$ to add a line to a family plan and the cheap data plan is 15$. If your kids spends a lot of time in a wireless environment, you could easily get away with the lowest data plan.

Honestly, for that price, given that the family plan is in place I don't really see a smart phone being any different from any other phone. I find myself seriously considering getting one for my son at almost 12.

And now I have to go put my head between my knees because I cannot believe I just wrote that. Somewhere in hell, a snowball just melted.

:iagree: wholeheartedly!

On Sprint - there is just one charge for data - not per phone. It would be silly for us to get a phone that was non-data when we don't pay extra to use it.

We don't have a data plan. I wouldn't give a kid a smart phone without unlimited data allowed. Just way too easy to get into trouble.:tongue_smilie:

I don't know Sprint's plans. You may have unlimited data for your family.

One consideration to the concern of letting a younger kid have unlimited internet access on their phone is making it a condition that mom and dad can see the phone on request at any time. This may not be enough for some kids, but it could with others.

On the other hand, I didn't get one until I was 22, so I'm not terribly sympathetic to youngins getting one :tongue_smilie:

My 14 yr old ds has an iPhone but we turned off his browsing capabilities. He can use it for making phone calls, texting and can access Planning Center for church worship use.

Anything else needs our approval/pass code.

He only got a smart phone because he just had a junky hand me down and was ready for an upgrade when our provider had iPhone 3Gs for a penny. :) So, for a penny, we could handle the thought of him killing/losing it, though still not preferable LOL

Oh, he does have access to YouTube, again, for church worship purposes. And we can check the history on the phone at any time, without warning. If he won't be playing for church for a while and has no need to look up songs/videos, the function is turned off. It was just easy for him to take his phone to the basement, tune in YouTube and play along to practice a particular song.

Anyway, as far as when we would let one have full access....late teens, with proven maturity/when they have a job and can pay for it all themselves.

We don't have a data plan. I wouldn't give a kid a smart phone without unlimited data allowed. Just way too easy to get into trouble.:tongue_smilie:

I don't know Sprint's plans. You may have unlimited data for your family.

Yes, Sprint has unlimited data. Love it! I agree I would not even want a smartphone without unlimited data. I use my phone more for txt and going online than talking and so does my dd. Most of the time I am on this forum I am on my phone. I would hate to think of how hard it would be if or how paranoid dh would be if we had a limit.

As to what age for a smartphone, that is totally up to the parents. My dd 11 has one and so do most of her friends at church.

Like others have said, when she can pay for the data plan herself. I just barely got an iPhone last month. The bill still smarts. We'll likely get her a regular phone when she starts driving.

Although...I know several teens with an iPod touch that use Google voice to call and send texts. That might be an option.

Dd14 just got herself a new Blackberry ~ the Curve 9360. It's a decent little phone, although it seems to be a bit of a battery suck. We pay for her phone and her plan because we want to, and we can. There's nothing wrong with that, any more than there's something wrong with other families choosing the "when they can pay for it" route… ;)

Dd14 just got herself a new Blackberry ~ the Curve 9360. It's a decent little phone, although it seems to be a bit of a battery suck. We pay for her phone and her plan because we want to, and we can. There's nothing wrong with that, any more than there's something wrong with other families choosing the "when they can pay for it" route… ;)

:iagree: I use to be in the wait crowd too. My dd almost fell out when she got hers for her bday. She knows it is a privilege. If she had a different attitude, we would have never got it for her. We don't do allowances so to us this is her allowance for the extras she does.