Menu

Feeding house guests

When you have house guests do you try to cater to their food likes? How much?

My cousin's wife and two little kids (7 and 4) have got to be the pickiest people when it comes to food I've ever seen. The mom has a lot of issues with food (not for health reasons) as well so I suppose that plays a role. It also seems to be a constant battle between parents and kids with food.

Anyway, I don't know what to feed them. The little 7 yr old and mother are especially hard. They don't eat anything other than bread and nutella. They don't like the bread because it's not the same bread. I can't just run to the store for what they eat because they are visiting from Germany, and the bread is different.

So far everything I have made for breakfast, lunch, or dinner has mostly been refused. I even made pasta salad with the exact same ingredients as the mom makes. The 7 yr old didn't touch it. She didn't like the noodles I used. As I mentioned, the mom is the same way. I asked if she had ever had gumbo as that's what I was planning on making. I figured since she loves paella, she would maybe like gumbo....just not spicey. She (the mom) made a face and said, "Yuck." So I didn't make Gumbo.

I don't want to get into the parenting part of it because I would handle things differently as a mom. I just want to know what I do as a hostess. DH says that I should just make meals as I normally would, and the guests can decide whether they want to eat it or not.

I can't let the guests just take over my kitchen and make what they want due to my being celiac. I don't want them contaminating stuff so it's easier and safer for me to prepare food. Otherwise I would just point to the fridge and say have at it.

I have never understood the rudeness of people. I am a picky eater because I am and so are my kids. That being said it is our business and when we go places I feed us I don't insult my hosts. I just figure other people shouldn't have to deal with our issues. Is there anyway you can store your special food with a do not touch on the container and tell them to buy their own? I know that sounds really rude but there comes a point a guest should not expect a hostess to suffer for them.

I have only read about the celiac issues sorry you are having to deal with that. I don't think you should cater to other people hospitality goes so far before it becomes being taken advantage of.

I would prepare the meals as you normally would, but would solicit suggestions from my guests what they would like to eat.

If they do not eat the cooked meals, I would make sure there are a few different kinds of cereal and some bread and cheese and fruit available so they can help themselves to this if they don't want what you cook. (I don't know enough about celiac, but would assume that a boxed cereal containing gluten would not be a big risk to contaminate other foods?)

You could leave some parts of your cooked meals "unfinished": plain pasta (without sauce or seasoning), plain boiled potatoes, plain rice - that's what I did when I son was very picky at a younger age.

If none of this helps, they have to go eat out by themselves.

(I can absolutely sympathize with them not liking the bread.)

I agree with your husband. Prepare your meals. If they eat, they eat. If they don't, they can find a restaurant or gnaw on a hunk of cheese. You have tried to accomodate them and they have been rude in return. I say you have put in more than enough effort and needn't continue.

I don't want to get into the parenting part of it because I would handle things differently as a mom. I just want to know what I do as a hostess. DH says that I should just make meals as I normally would, and the guests can decide whether they want to eat it or not.

:iagree: If they don't want to eat what you prepare, then the mom should take her family out to eat and buy them what they like.

Fresh baked bread from Germany truly is much better than gluten free bread. I see their struggle.

BUT

You get to do what you want in your kitchen. Offer them what you are eating and give them the option of borrowing the car to take themselves out to dinner. You aren't required to endanger your family because they choose not to eat what you offer.

DH says that I should just make meals as I normally would, and the guests can decide whether they want to eat it or not.

:iagree:

I can't let the guests just take over my kitchen and make what they want due to my being celiac. I don't want them contaminating stuff so it's easier and safer for me to prepare food. Otherwise I would just point to the fridge and say have at it.

Can they still prepare their own food, or do you mean this in the context of cooking for everyone?

You've prepared food. It's unreasonable (okay, outrageous!) to expect you to cater to whatever their oh-so-limited diet apparently consists of. They should have packed their preferred bread, along with a few jars of nutella, in their suitcases.

I'm speechless over the mom's, "Yuck" comment. What kind of person does this?? As a hostess, I would be so done even trying.

:grouphug:

:

I'm speechless over the mom's, "Yuck" comment. What kind of person does this?? As a hostess, I would be so done even trying.

:grouphug:

This is simply insane! How RUDE! if they don't like it, they should just not eat it. But, to say something about it?

Just make what you normally would. Tough cookies if they don't like it.

I'd probably have some snacks around that they can eat - are there any? LOL

My MIL is diabetic. My sister is highly allergic to dairy. My dh has a friend who is allergic to poultry. My cousin is a vegetarian. I try to be mindful of those things when they visit.

The last time my sister visited I made chicken fajitas rather than something like enchiladas. That way, she could skip the cheese and I bought her some dairy-free sour cream so that she didn't feel like she was getting cheated out of the yummy bits.

The vegetarian isn't a total vegan, so I sometimes have to ask her if something like chicken broth is okay and offer to pick up some vegetable broth if it isn't.

Extenuating circumstances aside, I cook things that I normally cook and that help our plans. Are we having a beach day? It is an hour and a half to the beach. I make breakfast burrito filling ahead and heat it up that morning for a fast breakfast. I make ahead picnic items like chicken salad. I might put something in the crockpot for dinner when we get back.

I do usually ask ahead of time if there are particular food they do not eat. I wouldn't make a homemade bolognese or pomodoro sauce for someone who hates tomatoes.

I don't think that I've ever had a guest refuse to eat an entire meal. I think your husband is right. Take them to the store, let them choose some items the mom can safely cook for themselves without contaminating anything for mealtimes when they don't like what is served.

Are they going to be visiting for a long time? Maybe just giving them a shelf in the fridge and letting them do their own cooking is the best way to handle it? And about bread, now I hope noone will take offense to this, but bread in the U.S. is unedible for an european palate.:.before, we used to buy bread in russian store or Whole Foods, but now my husband makes it himself, he has sourdough culture. Is there a russian or german store in your area? You can buy some more familiar foods there...

Can they still prepare their own food, or do you mean this in the context of cooking for everyone?

It's hard trying to explain cross contamination danger. They would need to buy a colander for their gluten pasta for example. I also would be afraid of contamination of condiments such as the jelly jar. The proper cleaning of crumbs and so forth. I don't expect my guests to become experts in avoiding cross contamination. I bought them regular donuts and asked them to eat them on plates at the table so crumbs wouldn't spread around. They were understanding and compliant. Is that all they are going to eat though? Chocolate donuts?

I offered to buy whatever bread they wanted, but they don't like any of the bread here gluten free or not. I, too, understand that. :001_smile: Although my days of yummy fresh German bread are forever over.

I took the mom to the store and told her to pick out any and all cereal or granola her kids would eat. She couldn't find anything. She told me they liked plain vanilla yogurt so I bought that. The kids spit it out.

So far, they have eaten chocolate donuts and hard boiled eggs. We did take them to Five Guys for dinner the other day. They liked that.

I guess you all are right. I'll just let them worry about what they find to eat. Gosh, that goes against every cell of German in me!

Oh, Wow! You can't win with attitudes like that.

:grouphug::grouphug:So sorry you have to deal with this. It would eat me up inside to know that couldn't please my house-guests. Try not to let it get to you:grouphug::grouphug:

As a picky eater myself, I do not expect my hostess to cater to my every whim. Generally, as the guests, we are asked what we might like for a meal (at least for one meal during the time we are staying). We give easy choices like tacos that can pretty much always be accommodated. :) Other than that, I will have my own snack foods and/or my crew will go out to eat.

I do not think I am as picky as these guests sound, but still.

Ask for meal suggestions, accommodate what you can, but don't kill yourself over it. They can fend for themselves elsewhere.

It would be easy to get really frustrated, I know, and I can't imagine ever allowing my family to treat their hosts like that! But, it is what it is, and I guess I'd try and have some general ingredients on hand that they like (a jar of nutella and a loaf of the heartiest bread I could find :)). I'd tell them that their diet is difficult for me to follow, but they are free to put together their own meals -- explaining of course what is necessary in order for you to stick with your own gluten-free diet, safely. I'd try not to let it become the big, overriding issue of their visit, but would definitely be counting the days til they leave!

Sorry celiac trumps pickiness. Make what you normally would and they can figure stuff out for themselves.

Make what you normally eat and tell them to feel sorry for you because you have to eat it! And never get to eat the bakery-fresh German bread. :glare:

They have nothing to complain about.

Really.

(And they just have to get over expecting it to taste like home. Everything tastes different, even the milk, because the cow ate grass that grew in a different place.)

Edited by In The Great White North

She (the mom) made a face and said, "Yuck." So I didn't make Gumbo.

You are so much nicer than I am. I would have pointed out her rudeness, and suggested that perhaps she and her family might want to start eating their meals in restaurants from now on.

DH says that I should just make meals as I normally would, and the guests can decide whether they want to eat it or not.

I agree with your DH. If they are hungry, they will eat what you prepare, or they will go out to eat. You are already being gracious by letting them stay with you. You have tried to make what they like, but apparently they are too picky. If they will only eat the mom's cooking, they should be staying in a short-term rental suite with a kitchenette. I would not let her use your kitchen, because cross-contamination WILL happen, and you'll end up getting sick.

You are the one with "real" food sensitivities, and I'll bet you'd never behave so rudely if you were a guest at their home. (And I'm willing to bet that the mom wouldn't bend over backwards trying to accommodate your needs, either.)

How much longer will they be staying? If they will be with you for a while, prepare a normal dinner tonight, and when the complaints start rolling in, make an announcement at the table that you've done your best to be a good hostess, but if they aren't going to be good guests, they can eat elsewhere from now on. Period. You have bent over backwards to please them, but nothing is good enough, so you don't know what else to do, and you don't want to see them starve, but you are not running a restaurant. They can like it, or they can get upset, but it's your home and you get to set the rules. I think you're going to need to stand up for yourself, because this mom and her kids aren't going to suddenly realize that they are being idiots. If you're not comfortable with a family confrontation, take your cousin aside and tell him how you feel, and ask him to deal with his wife and kids.

You shouldn't be uncomfortable in your own home, and you are not running a hotel; these people are your guests and they are not paying you to put up with their poor behavior.

Edited by Catwoman

Make what you would normally make, but have the alternatives in the fridge (i.e., let them pick out some bread and buy a jar of nutella - if having it in the fridge/kitchen is ok with the celiac).

That is astoundingly rude. I suppose they feel that since you are close, they don't have to act the way they would as normal houseguests.... or they just have terrible manners.

I don't think pointing it out will help - just be gracious. Two rudes don't make a polite ;)

I have kids who used to be extreme picky eaters. It was more than just preference but to the casual observer, it wouldn't appear like it. They had sensory issues and muscle issues that made them unable to chew and swallow certain normal things. When we went places, we did not expect others to cater to them. I would make sure there was something for them to survive on whatever the host served. Sometimes, that meant they ate nothing at the table and I'd give them an apple or peanut butter with a spoon later. Sometimes they'd just eat whatever bread was served. I can't tell if the guests seem to expect you to cater to them and expressing displeasure about your lack of accommodation, or if you are feeling the need to please them and see them eat. If it is the latter, then I would suggest just letting it go. They may be perfectly content to not eat with no expectation that you do anything special. That was how we were- there was no reasonable way for anyone else to provide food for my kids because they were on such limited diets at the time even at home. I would try to reassure people that they need not try but I'm sure some people still felt uncomfortable. And if they really are so rude as to expect you to give them everything they want and only what they prefer, then I'd just let them be annoyed as you've done your best.

Also, are your guests German? I've found that what Americans consider rude, Germans consider normal or just frankness. Maybe it is a cultural issue.

Edited by Paige

I have a diabetic father and a gluten free sister in law, a niece with peanut allergy and they all usually spend several days with me during the holidays at the same time

just no way I can accommodate so they each bring their own "special foods"

I make sure all nut food is put on high shelves away from my niece, I have Ezekiel bread in the freezer for sister in law, I have splenda in the cabinets for my dad

I do try to make them feel welcome and stuff but if any of them acted the way your visiting family behaves they would all be ask to find a HOTEL

sorry but they are rude!!!

Also, are your guests German? I've found that what Americans consider rude, Germans consider normal or just frankness. Maybe it is a cultural issue.

There may be some cultural differences, but trust me: even in Germany it is considered rude if a guest says "yuck" to the hostess when food is offered.

And have nutella and bread in the house for them. Bread that meets your needs so if they don't eat it, you can.

It's standard here, you fix what you fix. You try to take their desires into account but have an alternative (nutella a bread) available. By take their desires, I have a friend's son who doesn't like chocolate. So when they come over I fix a non-chocolate dessert.

My family is German. No one on my German side would say "yuck" or refuse to eat most of what is offered.

Aren't there McDonalds in Germany? If they don't like what you serve and are still hungry, they can go there. :)

Our family eats a special diet (for health reasons) and we either take our own food (which I clear with the hostess before showing up) or the hostess goes to the trouble to find out what/how we can eat and fixes that (but I would NEVER expect that, and frankly prefer taking our own stuff b/c I get tired of "talking food"). Pickiness, IMO is an attitude, and at someone else's house is just rude.

My family is German. No one on my German side would say "yuck" or refuse to eat most of what is offered.

I hope I didn't offend any Germans. I was thinking more that maybe their language wasn't the best and maybe she had picked the wrong English word to express herself.

Make what you normally eat and tell them to feel sorry for you because you have to eat it! And never get to eat the bakery-fresh German bread. :glare:

They have nothing to complain about.

Really.

No kidding. I don't let my kids be picky because with all our food restrictions, you can't be picky. Unless my kids physically should not have a food, I tell them to eat it....at least a few bites.

My cousin's wife is and always has been like this with food. Other than the food thing she is great. She's very vocal and open about her pickiness. Sometimes it seems like she brags about it because it's her "thing." It looks like her kids are following in her footsteps. Yes, she said "yuck" to me because we've known each other for 17 years so she is really comfortable with me.

I can't tell if the guests seem to expect you to cater to them and expressing displeasure about your lack of accommodation, or if you are feeling the need to please them and see them eat.

It's me wanting to be a good hostess and making them comfortable here as much as I can without getting sick myself.

I can't help but want to feed people especially children.

Oh, I know very well how handle German frankness. :001_smile: I actually prefer German frankness to what I call American sugar coating and beating around the bush. ;)

On that note, my German family is rude even for German standards.

I'm not taking their pickiness as a personal attack, I'm just frustrated that I can't find something to please them, and wondering if I should even bother.

I'm not sure where you live, but perhaps a sightseeing trip to Ballard with a side trip to Larsen's Bakery? (Scandinavian and not German but still good baked goods).

Or a trip to the French Bakery (Boulangerie?) in Wallingford? (Again, not German but good baked goods.)

Or to the Poulsbo bakery? That way you can get in a ferry ride too!

I always ask houseguests before they come, what kinds of things do your kids like to eat? Then I could be sure to have something they could nibble on even if they did not like the main dishes I provided.

On the flip side, I know people who expect houseguests to go grocery shopping and provide their own food! I would never do that.

I have to laugh because I remember travelling with my parents to Germany as a child. I was 5 and I was so upset they did not have my favorite brand of cereal, I refused to eat.

I must admit that it is situations like this when I am glad our little family rule is that there will be no overnight houseguests. I know a lot of people love having guests sleep over or stay for a week or more, but I am not one of those people. I can handle having guests in my home for hours at a time, but not days. After a certain number of hours, I usually find myself sneaking glances at my watch and hoping they will leave soon.

I have no problem enforcing my rule because when we travel to visit people, we always stay in hotels. It's not like we're imposing on others, but not returning the hospitality, so I feel no guilt.

My MIL is particularly picky in her eating. Essentially she lives on chicken nuggets from Wendy's and soft white bread rolled into balls. And tomatoes. I try to offer either something she likes or something healthy and hard to argue with, like fruits or veggies.

If you are offering primarily GF substitutes for breakfast, I can see some of the challenges. I recently had to go GF and it was hard to get used to the texture of some of the GF substitutes.

yogurt and fruit for breakfast?

eggs and hot chocolate for breakfast?

salad at lunch--lots of veg and cheese on top and a good viniagrette dressing?

chicken or fish at supper? with veg?

When I am a hostess, I go out of my way to please my guests. HOWEVER, the other side of that coin is that when I am a guest, I would *never* tell you, "yuck", I would eat it and shut my ever lovin trap and my kids would do the same.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. My other suggestion is for you to give them a list of places to eat. The Italian Momma in me sympathizes with the "Feed People" need, but you're already bending backwards, here.

Edited by justamouse

So far everything I have made for breakfast, lunch, or dinner has mostly been refused. I even made pasta salad with the exact same ingredients as the mom makes. The 7 yr old didn't touch it. She didn't like the noodles I used.

Have they keeled over with hypoglycemia yet?

Do they like Ensure? :)

What are they eating if not what you prepare?

I can be a picky eater, but I try to be discreet about it. That being said, I have had to follow a very low fat diet for medical reasons and HATE going to my MIL's house where there is nothing I can eat. I have brought my own food before, but my FIL said that was rude. So now I usually go there and starve (or sneak snacks in my luggage and binge when no one is there!) LOL. It's really fun (sarcasm included) when I am nursing or pregnant and totally hungry... additionally, it is in the mountains and 30 minutes from the nearest store. We don't ever leave the house so eating out is not an option.

All that being said, it has taught me to try and accomodate other's food preferences when they are over. It sounds like you have an extremely ridiculous guest whom you may not be able to please, but in general I would try to accomodate as much as I could.

I can be a picky eater, but I try to be discreet about it. That being said, I have had to follow a very low fat diet for medical reasons and HATE going to my MIL's house where there is nothing I can eat. I have brought my own food before, but my FIL said that was rude.

:glare:

Time for hubby to tell his dad to put this attitude where the son don't shine.

I can be a picky eater, but I try to be discreet about it. That being said, I have had to follow a very low fat diet for medical reasons and HATE going to my MIL's house where there is nothing I can eat. I have brought my own food before, but my FIL said that was rude. So now I usually go there and starve (or sneak snacks in my luggage and binge when no one is there!) LOL. It's really fun (sarcasm included) when I am nursing or pregnant and totally hungry... additionally, it is in the mountains and 30 minutes from the nearest store. We don't ever leave the house so eating out is not an option.

We would stay in a hotel/cabin/tent and make arrangements for visits.

Make your meals you want to make and have sandwich stuff available for an alternative if they don't like what you made.

Honestly? I've NEVER in my life heard of someone being so rude as to say "Yuck" when at another person's house to eat. The child is obviously getting her food issues from the mother. Anyway--don't cater to it.

I would never be rude, but when I was staying with my MIL for a couple weeks at a time, she would take my by the store on the way home. I don't eat "ground any meat"... and I also have particular tastes... (and try to be healthy) So, I picked up butter and other foods that wouldn't be there... (Yogurt I liked and such) Here's the thing, I don't know what "eating celiac" means, but if I were she... I'd go and buy microwave or already prepared food... and paper plates, and disposable flatware if that's what you needed. I guess that I'd just get everything... self contained and easy to heat up. I think that if my guests were having problems that I'd just ask if they wanted me to drop them by the store so they could pick up some food.... :)