Menu

Reviews and thoughts about the Haunted Mansion at Disney.

It isn't scary at all. It's fun! My kids love the ride. It's very clever and the "doom buggies" you ride in are great. They turn you around and even incline you backwards slightly through part of it. There's no gore at all. Nothing "Halloweenish". It's just an old haunted mansion with holographic ghosts and lots of fun special effects. Again...not scary at all.

We just came back from Disney!

My seven year olds say it wasn't scary and is kind of funny. They have ghosts dancing, wearing funny hats, etc. It's not a scary ride despite the name. I (parent) didn't have a Halloween feel from it and we don't do Halloween here. That said, if I were morally opposed to stories with ghosts I wouldn't go. There are lots of other rides there to enjoy.

edited to add: we use an alternate entrance due to special needs so did not have the elevator room in our visit.

Edited by sbgrace

My 6 year-old loves this ride! I think it's actually a little less "scary" since they modified it to the "Nightmare before Christmas" theme. They have it completely done up for Halloween and it was great. The one aspect that might be a little scary is before the ride even starts. You all go into a "room" which is actually an elevator. The lights suddenly go out and you're in complete darkness for a few seconds, there's a loud scream and something is projected up on the ceiling. The doors then open and you move onto the ride. Not a big deal for my boys but little ones might get scared if they don't know what's coming. Still one of my favorites!

The scariest parts are *before* the ride. The "cast members" that direct you onto the ride sometimes speak in spooky voices or give scary laughs, etc. The ride itself does have ghosts, so if you avoid all reference to ghosts, it might be a ride to avoid. As others have said, there's no gore (though there's some implied gore), no "gotcha" moments... There's a scene of something like a seance...

I do *not* do "haunted houses" or anything like that. But Haunted Mansion really isn't "scary" or evil-seeming (though I understand some would prefer to avoid any reference to ghosts/spirits/etc)... Some kids *can* get frightened *before* getting on the ride though, and for a child who is particularly anxious, I wouldn't push it. There's enough other wonderful stuff at Disney that you won't miss much by skipping that one ride.

I wouldn't go on the ride. We don't celebrate Halloween and even non-scary ghosts and "hauntings" would be a bit counter to that (since most Halloween costumes are not necessarily scary anyway). It would just seem to go against my internal logic to allow one and not the other.

I'll agree with Jean. We do celebrate Halloween and did go to the Haunted Mansion. I think if you don't celebrate Halloween, you won't enjoy it.

As far as how scary, my older two were fine and my younger guy, who was four at the time was a bit scared when we got stopped (for at least five minutes) in the attic while they removed a screaming child from the ride. The kid was about 3 and in hysterics.

The scariest parts are *before* the ride. The "cast members" that direct you onto the ride sometimes speak in spooky voices or give scary laughs, etc. The ride itself does have ghosts, so if you avoid all reference to ghosts, it might be a ride to avoid. As others have said, there's no gore (though there's some implied gore), no "gotcha" moments... There's a scene of something like a seance...

I do *not* do "haunted houses" or anything like that. But Haunted Mansion really isn't "scary" or evil-seeming (though I understand some would prefer to avoid any reference to ghosts/spirits/etc)... Some kids *can* get frightened *before* getting on the ride though, and for a child who is particularly anxious, I wouldn't push it. There's enough other wonderful stuff at Disney that you won't miss much by skipping that one ride.

:iagree:

The elevator is the only scary part. I told them exactly what was going to happen before we went in and reminded them quietly right before it happened (room will go dark, flash of lightning, spooky voice). They were fine with it. The ride itself is more funny than scary.

Now, this is from 32 years ago, but at that time (I was about six) that ride terrified me. I was sitting in between two older people in the ride, and I remember turning to face a mirror, with ghosts projected on it. Well, the ghosts were placed so as to be *between* two people on the ride, but showed up as directly over my head.

Scared the snot out of me at the time and gave me nightmares. Just a different perspective :001_smile:

:iagree:

My dd desperately wanted to ride this at Disneyland last month. I debated and debated. We went. She absolutely FLIPPED out at the beginning. The room got PITCH BLACK!!! I hadn't remembered that. I took my camera out so she and I could look at pictures. Took her mind off the scary voices and the darkness.

BUT, she LOVED the ride. LOVED it! The special effects are really neat. It was short, so if you did decide to try it, and your child hated it, it's not long. And, bring your camera so you can preview all the pictures you've taken with your child if he is scared!!!

My oldest thought it was scary. He forced himself to ride it and loves it now.

I don't know when you are going to Disney, but you should know that all of Magic Kingdom is decorated for Halloween. All of the employees wear Halloween shirts and there are Mickey Jack-o-lanterns everywhere.

We just got back from Disney World here too. My 4 year old daughter has been freaked out because of the glowing eyes near the beginning. First the hotel room had eyes, she said. Now she's afraid of them in her own room. I have been just shy of livid with my husband since he cajoled her into going on when she was uncertain. She has been coming into our room at least three times a night for the last week.

I think the room at the beginning was a bit spooky for her. I know the glowing eyes in the first section of the ride were. A couple things pop up and the head in the crystal ball is spooky. She loved the cemetery part of the line. It was new from the last time we went. She asked if she could go through the line next time we go but not go on the ride. (If I have my way we aren't going back any time soon. I'm not as big on Disney as the rest of the family.)

Our (then just turning 6 yr old) loved this ride. We rode 6 times!

The scariest part is the beginning, which I found distasteful as well, due to the, ummm, projection at the ceiling. (I don't want to be a spoiler.)

Before we rode, our son watched the entire ride on YouTube. There are loads of videos, and he knew exactly what to expect. He also watched some "making of" type videos. It was the only way we'd let him ride.

You could preview the ride on YouTube.

We've been to Disney twice and didn't do Haunted Mansion. We didn't discount it automatically, but from reading about it ghosts are the main theme.

In many cases I am pretty liberal and absolutely ok with fantasy magic type things, but with ghosts I wasn't comfortable.

That Haunted Mansion is one of my favorites, although I am not excited to hear they made it i to the Nightmare before Christmas. :( I loved the goofy singing ghosts :) It is a lot of fun!

The "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme for the Haunted Mansion is seasonal (for Halloween and Christmas) and it's only in Disneyland California and, I think Tokyo---not at WDW in Florida.

we do not celebrate Halloween so why would we go on the ride?

Because it is fun.

I have to say, I really don't understand the *avoiding all things haunted/fun/silly magical" just because you don't celebrate Halloween. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I'm still happy to go to Disney World during December and see the Christmas parade and decor. I will go to Christmas parties hosted by other people and I let my child dance in the Nutcracker. There is no reason to be threatened by things that are just cultural/whimsical/pretty/fun. I assume you make your own beliefs and practices clear in your home, and it would make sense to avoid things that are truly anathema to your believe system like psychics or horoscopes or seances or ouija boards where the line between triviality and real belief is blurred.

But no.. NO ONE.. who walks into the Disney Haunted Mansion is taking that thing remotely seriously, kwim? Just like no one thinks dancing in the Nutcracker is worshiping Jesus.

It isn't scary at all. It's fun! My kids love the ride. It's very clever and the "doom buggies" you ride in are great. They turn you around and even incline you backwards slightly through part of it. There's no gore at all. Nothing "Halloweenish". It's just an old haunted mansion with holographic ghosts and lots of fun special effects. Again...not scary at all.

Excellent description, I couldn't have said it better...

I'd say it is scary -- at parts. Other parts are funny and really clever. I love the ride.

But, the beginning in the elevator terrified my son (he was 8 at the time). I'll never forget how I could feel his heart pounding in the dark room with the spooky laugh and the dead guy hanging from the ceiling.

He definitely did not think that was funny. He did like the ride in the end, but I know he was very scared at the start.

I'd think that if you are a non-Halloween, no-ghost/witches/magic kind of family then it probably isn't for you. At one point a spooky medium gal is trying to wake the dead. There are tons of ghosts, and, of course, it's all using the supernatural for entertainment.

I *love* the ride; it's my favorite at Magic Kingdom.

Some of the scenes are goofy/silly. However, I think it could be quite scary to sensitive kids (&/or adults even). It's pretty dark throughout, echo-y voices, creaking & screeching sounds, feeling the wind blowing on you at certain points, all while watching scenes as you go by (including hands on the inside of a coffin trying to pry the lid up, talking disembodied head in a crystal ball, etc...).

My dc (and dh, for that matter) hate scary/creepy/spooky stuff. Hate it. None of them has ever gone on the ride & they don't want to either. I always have to run off to ride by myself, then hook up w/ them later. :lol:

Maybe none of you would enjoy it. Maybe some of you would enjoy it. Maybe all of you would enjoy it. Do what's right for your family.

You can view the ride here :)

We have been going to Disney forever. I used to not have a problem with the ride, but as I have gotten older, I have become more scared by scary movies (won't even watch them anymore) and other scary stuff. So, I really don't like to ride it anymore.

I don't know if we will take Ds7 when we go next month. He doesn't get scared easy, but I would hate to put him through that if it DID scare him. We don't let him watch scary shows or do haunted or Halloween anything.... so he hasn't built up an immunity to it.

We don't celebrate Halloween b/c of DH's wishes.... he is fine with the ride.

ETA: I should add that I still ride it usually..... it has that "Old Disney Ride Smell", and it's nostalgic for me. Other Disney fanatics will know what I;m talking about :)

Edited by Gao Meixue

We were just there last week. I loved the way the haunted mansion used to be. Having not seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, I didn't really "get" the redo, though most of my family members loved it. I was preoccupied with my 9 year old who covered her eyes and whimpered literally the entire time (plus the 15 min. we stood in line waiting to get on. Plus the 30 min. before that when we were simply discussing going on the ride. I should have listened and not pushed her.)

Anyway, dd is kind of a scaredy cat to begin with. DS6 was mildly frightened but enjoyed the ride overall.

Have fun at Disney!!! If you have a chance, it's worth paying extra for the trick or treat party. So much fun, plus shorter lines.

My husband and I have different views about this ride. Thank you all for contributing so that we can make an informed decision together!

Have fun at Disney!!! If you have a chance, it's worth paying extra for the trick or treat party. So much fun, plus shorter lines.
Thanks for the tip. It starts at 7, any idea how late it lasts?

We miss the Nightmare Before Christmas version at DL. My boys still talk about it a lot.

My boys have ridden Haunted Mansion since they were babies. They love it. They can quote most of it along the way too and can sing the lyrics to Grim Grinning Ghosts as well.

Dawn

What does it have to do with Halloween? :confused:

I'm not understanding that either. It doesn't have anything to do with Halloween. They do often dress it up more for Halloween, but much of the park is dressed up too. It's just a fun "spooky" (though not really) ride. The bit in the elevator where it goes dark when you first enter the scared me as a child but since I knew what was coming, I prepared Indy to be a little frightened at first, and kept my arms around him when we went in. Didn't scare him at all. :glare: He loves the ride. There are parts of it that are silly and funny, but other than the very beginning, I can't think of anything frightening.

Because it is fun.

I have to say, I really don't understand the *avoiding all things haunted/fun/silly magical" just because you don't celebrate Halloween. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I'm still happy to go to Disney World during December and see the Christmas parade and decor. I will go to Christmas parties hosted by other people and I let my child dance in the Nutcracker. There is no reason to be threatened by things that are just cultural/whimsical/pretty/fun. I assume you make your own beliefs and practices clear in your home, and it would make sense to avoid things that are truly anathema to your believe system like psychics or horoscopes or seances or ouija boards where the line between triviality and real belief is blurred.

But no.. NO ONE.. who walks into the Disney Haunted Mansion is taking that thing remotely seriously, kwim? Just like no one thinks dancing in the Nutcracker is worshiping Jesus.

:iagree: Excellent post.

Because it is fun.

Well, I'm not the OP & we participate (celebrate just sounds funny here to me) in Halloween. I'd let the kids on the Haunted ride at Disney & we T&T with non-scary costumes so... But I'll take a stab at explaining it.

Part of what I don't like about Halloween is the taking of something so potentially awful like ghosts or spirits (real ones - I do believe they're real) & making them fun & lighthearted. I don't have any particular belief which leads me to this distaste, it isn't "against my religion" or anything. I just don't feel comfortable with it because I can't get silly about something which just isn't. That's how I feel about the Haunted Mansion also. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. It doesn't feel right *to me*.

That being said (someone here hates that phrase - sorry, I use it a lot) I don't avoid Halloween decor in public unless its truly gruesome. The kids like to see all the decor in stores & that's fine with me. But I don't want it in my house. I won't decorate for Halloween. Not officially at least - the kids make Jack-o-lanterns & ghosts & skeletons & black cats, etc. & we hang them up when they want.

I try not to be really rigid about it because I don't want to take all the fun away from my kids - but they know me enough that every time they make their Halloween figures they say "look mom - its not scary - it has a smiling face!". :tongue_smilie:

My husband and I have different views about this ride. Thank you all for contributing so that we can make an informed decision together!Thanks for the tip. It starts at 7, any idea how late it lasts?

It lasts until midnight, but you can get into the park at 4. We ate dinner in downtown Disney around 3 and then went in. Okay, that was our plan. We actually ended up going in around 5:30 which was madness. The big parade was just ending on main street, they were shooing everyone else out while the trick or treaters where just beginning to arrive. Try to avoid that!

Not scary. I went on it when I was 4 and liked it. DS went on it when he was 4 and 5 and liked it. He was already familiar with the music from it because we have the CD from the ride.

The Haunted Mansion has nothing to do with Halloween. However, they do make the Haunted Mansion over as Nightmare Before Christmas around this time of year in Disneyland, but not at the Magic Kingdom.

They do have hitchhiking ghosts that you can see in a mirror at the end, but they are silly looking, not scary looking.

• 2 weeks later...

totally NOT scary! we have been on it at LEAST 30 times in the last 9 months- one of my girls' fave rides!

be sure to take the "scenic" (left) route to the entrance when you are in line. It is very fun & interactive.

Getting stuck in Haunted Mansion on our backs for 15 minutes because the ride stopped in the one single moment that you are tilted- that was UNCOMFORTABLE but not scary!!