Menu

Did your husband ask your father if he could ask for your hand in marriage?

Did your husband ask your father for your hand in marriage  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did your husband ask your father for your hand in marriage

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have a relationship with my father (or he was already deceased)
    • Other

Just curious how often this is still done. My husband did not. We got serious and engaged while my parents were in Africa and there was little in the way of communication other than letters back then. They didn't have phones where they were that worked very well at all.

So, we were engaged and planned the wedding around their furlough so they could be there.

My father would have approved anyway......

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father died when I was 8 years old, but DH did ask my mother if he could marry me :001_smile:. It was probably a little absurd, really, as I was 33 years old at the time, and it's not as though we'd have changed our plans if she'd said no. DH is just very old fashioned about those kind of things. My mother couldn't have been more delighted, she said she couldn't haven't chosen a more wonderful DH for me herself. And she was right :001_wub:.

Cassy

I wasn't 33, but I was 29 when I got married so I do agree.....it isn't like you need "permission." I had been on my own for 11 years and living in a different country than my parents for that amount of time, so it wasn't like I was under their care and young and naive.

Dawn

My father died when I was 8 years old, but DH did ask my mother if he could marry me :001_smile:. It was probably a little absurd, really, as I was 33 years old at the time, and it's not as though we'd have changed our plans if she'd said no. DH is just very old fashioned about those kind of things. My mother couldn't have been more delighted, she said she couldn't haven't chosen a more wonderful DH for me herself. And she was right :001_wub:.

Cassy

I was living in another state than my parents, dh and I had already talked about marriage, we knew we were just waiting on him meeting my parents and asking my dad. We picked them up at the airport, headed to run an errand, and while I was in the building he asked my dad. :001_smile: He said doing it the first night was the only way to surprise me :tongue_smilie:

It was simply a traditional formality for us...

My ex did not. He would not have gotten it. Dad was right...

My dh did ask. I had NO idea he would do that. He searched out my Dad via the name of the company he worked for, got his number, and called to set up a lunch meeting. He drove 3 1/2 hours to come see him and have lunch, and get his blessing. it wasn't easy, from what I understand :)

I had no idea this happened, and he didn't propose for MONTHS after that, so every one but me knew he was going to propose. I was a bit annoyed by that later, actually. My parents should not have told all my relatives before hand!

This made me laugh, because when dh asked me to marry him, I really didn't want to say yes, so I said, "You haven't asked my father." It was sort of a way to give myself an out, and so I could think about it more.

He responded in a confused voice, "But I don't want to marry your father!"

Guess who comes from the more traditional family? ;)

I really wish he had--not exactly for permission, but more for approval and blessing.

My dh did not ask, I would have been offended if he did ask.

On the other side of the coin, and a bit of a funny story....

My brother was dating a girl still in high school. He is 3? 4? years older then her.

He asked her Father "Can I marry your daughter".

The Father was surprised and asked "When?"

My brother responded, "On Valentine's Day" (Meaning he would propose on that day which was very near. NOT get married on that day)

The Father was shocked because he thought my brother wanted to marry her on that day, not just propose. Since that day was so close, and they were young the Father assumed the fast wedding was wanted since she must be pregnant. Lots of explaining and talking later it was all understood, and the Father was relived to know his daughter wasn't pregnant.

I voted "other", because DH asked me first and then my father! We met on a blind date while he was home on leave in Aug. '95. DH lived in HI and & in NC. By Dec. he knew that he wanted to marry me and had planned to ask me on New Year's Eve - after he had had the chance to meet my parents and ask my Dad. But - when I went to pick him up in D.C. in mid-Dec., he was so anxious to get engaged and simply couldn't wait :lol: So, he asked me - I said "YES!", and it was about a week later when he finally asked my father! It was then that we told him that we were already engaged - along with the whole story. It was the best Christmas season ever!!!

I would have been offended as well.

I don't understand why you would be offended. My husband called my parents living in Europe to ask my dad. I think it showed a sign of respect for my parents. I don't know why anyone would be offended over that, I think it is sweet and honorable.

Yes, much to my great and mighty consternation at that time!

He knew it would make my dad feel special and included...my dad is quite a sentimental guy and particularly about this daughters. But, it ticked me off a bit because I HATE the concept of women being property of their fathers and becoming property of their husbands. UGH! I.just.do.not.abide.this.kind.of.thinking.

My cousin is even more anti-property exchange marriage than I. When her fiance suggested he should ask for her hand, her father was a Southern Baptist Minister at the time so he thought it would go a long way towards forming a good in-law relationship, she broke off the engagement. It took the guy about year to win her trust again and believe me, he didn't mention doing that again!

Faith

I don't understand why you would be offended. My husband called my parents living in Europe to ask my dad. I think it showed a sign of respect for my parents. I don't know why anyone would be offended over that, I think it is sweet and honorable.

Just different perspectives.

You see the sweet and honourable bit, another woman sees it as her being looked at as the property of her father rather then an independent person.

Because I don't think my Father has any say in the matter. Because I don't feel my Father deserves that kind of respect. Because it would make me feel like property. It would seem creepy to me to think What if my Father said "no". That would make things awkward since I wouldn't really care about his "no". I also thought that if he had my Father might have thought he had some sort of right? responsibility? towards me that he did not have.

Just different perspectives.

You see the sweet and honourable bit, another woman sees it as her being looked at as the property of her father rather then an independent person.

This.

The historic tradition does not stem from some noble attempt of the boy to forge a trusting relationship with the parents of the woman he has already proposed to. This comes from the age-old concept that a woman is her father's property, cannot speak for herself, has no legal rights, etc. In most cases, prior to trying to "civilize" the practice in the western world, the woman wouldn't have any prior knowledge that she was about to be betrothed. The menfolk arranged the property transfer and she had no choice.

So while I can absolutely understand that many modern women would think it is somehow sweet, I personally can't get behind the concept. Added to this is the insult that no one has adopted the practice of the female approaching the parents of her intended to ask for his hand in marriage. If the marriage were to be an equitable relationship, than logic would deem that if it honors her parents to be asked ahead, then it also honors his. But, that has never been the case and the reason for that is because it all traces back to "women are property". I thought about calling my future father-in-law because it would at least "even it up" so to speak, but I knew the only thing this would garner is, "Wow. M. Your fiance is weird."

I set my future dh straight following the incident by thanking him for thinking of my parents' feelings and for wanting to start off on the right foot wth them, but that the only way the engagement could move forward was with the understanding that I am no man's property and we will make decisions in our relationship equally. It hasn't been a problem since then.

So, 23 years later, I guess it wasn't a make or break deal. :D

But, in my previous post about my cousin, it did turn out to be a harbinger of his real views of women. Though she eventually took him back and married him, she should have gone with her first instincts. He turned out to be a real chauvenist, very disrespectful to her, very uncaring about her feelings in most issues, very much "man is king", and the marriage didn't last very long.

Faith

I was 18 when we got engaged, so yes, he did ask and I think it was appropriate! I am divorced now and think it would be silly if a future man were to seek out my father's approval/blessing before discussing it with me, since I'm 30, have 3 children, own a house, and have lived 1000 miles from him for 11 years! I think this kind of thing should have flexibility, depending on the situation:)

Now, when ex-h asked my father, we had already discussed marriage, looked at rings, and I knew he was going to ask me. So it's not like he didn't have my approval already!

I wasn't 33, but I was 29 when I got married so I do agree.....it isn't like you need "permission." I had been on my own for 11 years and living in a different country than my parents for that amount of time, so it wasn't like I was under their care and young and naive.

Dawn

I was 29, owned my place, etc and would not have married my husband if he had not been the kind of guy to honor my parents by asking them.

my dh did and my dad told no one for the few days in between. I think it was brave of my dh at the time my dad was a little hard to get to know and a little rough around the edges. My dad thought it was cool to be the first to know a secret. I was very close to my sister and mom growing up - and we were very girly; I am sure my dad often felt out of the loop.

No, my father died when I was 13. My dh didn't ask me even. We had both decided we were going to get married and then I asked him if we could get married earlier than we had originally planned (after he graduated from college) because I wanted my mom at my wedding and she was terminally ill. So we got married a few weeks before he started his senior year- I was already graduated.

No, but I was 36.5 when we met and 37 when he proposed. We had both lived out on our own for many years (he was in CA, I was in MO & NJ). We met through eHarmony, believe it or not! :D

Go, eHarmony! :party:

We are often amazed at those 29 levels of compatibility. When we say the same thing at the same time, or finish each others' sentences, we shake our heads and say, "Oh, that eHarmony search engine has done it again." :001_wub:

:lol:

Edited by Sahamamama

Nope. We took off to Vegas and eloped so no one even knew we were married until a week after the fact. But we had been living together for four years at that point and were already trying to have kids, so it would have been sort of silly to ask permission from anyone!

I was 29, we had been living together for two years and had owned a business together for a year. Would have seemed silly at that point to ask for a hand in marriage.

I also think the idea (not the way it is practiced now) is bordering on barbaric. From the times of women being chattel, and basically being sold off from father to husband. Blech.

Yes. I was only 17 and he was 23. He even asked for permission to date me 8 months before. That took a lot of convincing for my dad, but after 8 months of dating I think my parents knew he was the one before I did, so the asking for my hand part wasn't so difficult.

I voted no, but it makes me chuckle to think about what that conversation would have been like. My dad probably would have liked it, but in a how-funny-and-have-you-even-MET-my-daughter kind of way. :)

I do fall in the women-are-not-property camp, but as with most everything else, to each their own. If you think it's sweet or necessary for your own relationship, I'm happy to agree with you. :)

I answered that I don't have a relationship with my father, so dh did not ask him. However, he did ask my mother before proposing to me which I think is just as admirable, not because I am property to him, but he did it because he respected my mom and wanted her blessing for us.

I don't have a husband :tongue_smilie: but I did ask my ex-wife's father before I proposed. We visited her parents about a year after we started dating and I discussed it with her father and oldest brother before I asked her (later on the trip). She was only 21 though, I'm not sure if I would have asked if she'd been older.