Menu

An update on my "I Hate Cancer" thread...

The last couple of nights have found me by my friends bedside watching over her. Her husbands daughter, L (whom she was like a mother to), and I tended her needs and tried our best to keep her comfortable. We joked, teased each other and remembered funny times. I tried to stay other nights, to allow her husband to sleep, but he didn't really need me until the last couple of nights. I'm so glad I was able to allow him some rest. My lack of sleep the last two nights and days was worth the time I had with her. She is my best friend. She is really the only friend I have that has interests remotely similar to me.

We knew the end was not far...she was waiting for her brother to come from deployment in Afghanistan.

She passed away early this morning. Her brother got here last night in time to spend a couple of hours with her. She was extremely restless today and on into the evening. She settled a little when her brother arrived, but still restless a good bit. They left after visiting for a couple of hours. Her husbands daughter (known further as L ) and I got her changed, situated up in the bed to be more comfortable, gave her the hourly dose of morphine, and his daughter said "we need Christmas music"! I agreed. My friend LOVED Christmas! She lived and breathed it! We uploaded Pandora music station on my phone and chose a classic Christmas song. From there it just played many different classics. I went to singing and rubbing her hand and L went to rubbing her feet. She was relaxing well and we talked to her. We told her we were going to have a slumber party that evening and that we'd be sleeping right next to her on a mattress. She smiled at L and we went to lay down...sang songs that played, laughed about things she and I did together, and things that L did while she lived there as a kid. We watched her closely and within an hour of her brother leaving she was gone. She was waiting for him and held out long enough to do so. Her husband, his daughter and I were there with her letting her know we loved her and that we were so glad that she would no longer be in pain.

I miss my best friend...deeply....I no longer have a riding partner, shopping buddy, Christmas tree getter, horse training mentor, sounding board, gardening expert, weather expert, animal lover, secret keeper, strong woman who helped me in many ways.

I'm so very sorry. Thank you for the update; I've been praying for you and your friend and her family. Her last moments were beautiful for her, but I'm sure very heartrending for you and her family.

As I watched my mom slip from this world to the next, I had such a sense of peace for her. But, the pain at her loss was excruciating for the ones left behind. It sounds like your friend was a wonderful person, and she was fortunate to have a great friend like you. May God give you peace at this time and strength and joy for the days ahead.:grouphug:

I am so very sorry for your loss... and so very happy that you could share those last precious days and moments with your friend. My brother was 22 when he passed from cancer. Those last days, hours, and moments are among my most precious memories. Although the pain was (and still remains) a pain that never leaves my heart, I feel so blessed to have witnessed his final moments. I hope that your heart finds the same peace that your friend surely found by having you near as she left this earth.

My most heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and her family.:grouphug:

:grouphug: I am so, so sorry. :grouphug:

You are a wonderful friend, and it sounds like she was a wonderful friend to you, too. Take care of yourself, grief is definitely a process, sometimes a long process. It will get harder as the shock wears off. :grouphug:

Again, I am so sorry. Cancer truly does suck.