• Kath
    • Kay
    • Katherine only
    • Other, please specify

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The person in question is an infant, her mom thinks it's odd that people shorten Katherine to Kathy or Kate. In her opinion only Kath is a logical diminutive. I'll have to tell her about Kit/Kitty :)

Heavens, didn't she ever see Taming of the Shrew?

I have a Katherine. I pretty much always call her Katherine, but some people call her Katie. I also like Kate, and could imagine her being called that some when she is older. I do not like Kathy at all it sounds like an old lady.(no offense to any Kathy's)

The person in question is an infant, her mom thinks it's odd that people shorten Katherine to Kathy or Kate. In her opinion only Kath is a logical diminutive. I'll have to tell her about Kit/Kitty :)

Since when do diminutives have to be logical? Harry from Henry? Jack from John (although that's probably derived from the French "Jacques," it makes no sense in English!)? Meg from Margaret? It is the parents' choice, of course, so in then end they're the only ones to whom it has to make sense.

Although I have to say that "Kath" makes me think of catheters--I'm thinking I've heard nurses/doctors use "cath" as shorthand. :001_huh:

Or cathode ray tubes . . .

I don't shorten anyone's name unless it's something they prefer to be called. That's why myself and all my friends and family call my husband Thomas and all of his friends/family call him Tom. :001_smile:

My BFF is a Kathryn and she will quickly correct someone if they shorten her name.

On a side note: I intentionally chose my sons' names so they cannot be easily shortened.

I have had friends who have the given name Katherine who have gone by other diminuitives:

Katia/katja (russian, hungarian, and slav friends)

Kasia (czech)

Trina (german)

Karen (danish)

Catina (I think she was spanish--had a uni class with her in austria)

My favorite pronunciation of Katherine is cat-er-enn. It's a family name of ours....if I ever have another daughter :)

My sister is Kathryn and she goes by Katie.

Until she was 5, we called her Kathy, buy when my mom was signing her up for kinder, on a whim, she asked her if she liked Kathy or would rather be called something else, knowing that what she was called starting out in school would likely stick. My sister said she wanted to be Katie instead, and so from then on at school she was Katie. It took the family several years though to quit calling her Kathy!

My SIL is Catherine and she goes by Catherine. It's funny, my sister's name Katie is so ingrained in my head that I forget they both actually have the same name. :)

As an aside, one of our boys is Samuel and we call him Samuel, not Sam. The only Sams we know personally are both girls named Samantha who go by Sam. So, my Samuel will absolutely NOT answer to Sam. :D He thinks of it as a girl name, and it just doesn't even register that someone is talking to him when they try to call him Sam.

Why? Oh - maybe she means she thinks those names come from Kathleen instead? I generally think of Kate as more of a nickname for Kathleen, but Kathy definitely makes me think Katherine.

Why? Oh - maybe she means she thinks those names come from Kathleen instead? I generally think of Kate as more of a nickname for Kathleen, but Kathy definitely makes me think Katherine.

I couldn't exactly wrangle it out of her. She and her DH are actually fighting about this. He agreed to Katherine assuming that they would call her Kate. And she thinks that's not right. I refused to give my opinion either way because I didn't want to get involved. Then they both started harping on me about it because my sister Katherine has been all of the names in the poll (except Other, although I could start calling her that) at one point in her life. Why anyone thinks that I am the voice of reason is beyond me.

So I did the only logical thing, I asked the Hive. :D

Honestly I didn't realize there were so many differing names for Katherine. Last I heard they're considering Kay because neither finds it particularly offensive, but neither like it either.

How do you shorten Katherine?

Kat

Kate (my preferred version)

Katie

Kitty

Kit

kath

kathy

I personally hate names with an "e" sound on the end. I think it's because I have a relative who habitually put's "e's" on the end of names, even if they aren't supposed to have one there.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have a Kathryn that we shorten to Katie or Kate, but I've heard Kay, Kit, Kathy, Kath, Katy, Kitty.

If the mom wants her dd to be called Katherine, she should just keep introducing her as Katherine and calling her by that name. People will eventually catch on. But as her dd gets older, it will probably be shortened by her or her friends.

I voted that I wouldn't shorten it. If it were my DD, I would just name her what I wanted her to be called, be it Kate, Kathy or whatever. This is what my parents did with my name. They named me the "nickname" instead of having my official name be something, but call me something else.

Of course, this means that I am always explaining that my name is my legal first name, because it's also spelled differently, and, yeah, that's my parents' doing, too. And it's on my birth certificate. But I digress...

All the Katherines I knew growing up either went by Katherine or Kathy. There was one Kate.

Kathy is a fairly common nickname of Katherine. Since my name is Kathy and all my life I have been asked if that is short for anything-Katherine or Kathleen I know.

As for what to call the baby-I go with however the mother introduced the baby to me.

I know one Katherine who's called Kat and one who's called Kath.

If the mom of an infant told me the baby's name was Katherine and didn't offer a nickname, I'd call the baby Katherine. I think it's presumptuous to use a nickname in a situation like that.

:iagree:

Well, I grew up as a Katie, but once I hit college I switched to Katherine. I now know A LOT of Katherines and we all go by Katherine. We all grew up going by different nn (usually Katie, Kate, or Rin/Ryn) but as adults, we've all fallen back on Katherine.

My grandmother is Kathryn, my aunt Katherine, my cousin is Kathleen. All three use their full names, never a nickname. SIL is Kathy.

I always wanted to use name Katherina and nn Rina. Dh said we had enough forms of Katherine in our family already.

ETA: I don't see any problem with parents having different nick names for their child. I always introduce my dd with her full name but dd calls her a nick name. Doesn't confuse her at all. I will say though sometimes people think I have three daughters instead of only two because of this.

Edited by Splash