Menu

In September your 12 year old will be in which grade?

Quiver0f10

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My twelve year old daughter will be in seventh grade. She has a July birthday so she just turned twelve.

When she turned five I was working full time and she went to daycare. The daycare basically did a preschool program for the children. I debated about sending her to kindergarten and decided to do it because she was emotionally and academically ready to go.

I have an older son who also had a July birthday and went to kindergarten as a young five year old and he has done well.

I actually wish we could have another year with her to homeschool before she starts college, assuming that is what she will do. She and I talked about her "repeating" sixth grade, but at this point we are just staying on course.

#1 son--7th (wish I had kept him back a year, though, right at the beginning of his schooling--August birthday)

#2 daughter--7th (August birthday)

#3 son--8th (his birthday is in December, and he has always ready to move on ahead)

#4 daughter--7th

Linda

Mine would have been in 7th. I was in 7th. Mr. Ellie was in 7th, but in Virginia or Texas he would have been in 6th. His birthday is September 7; in California, the cut-off is December 2; in Virginia and Texas, the cut-off is September 1, so in both of those states he'd have been 12 at the beginning of the school year and turned 13 a few weeks after school started.

My younger daughter will turn 12 on August 17, and will be in 6th grade. We have followed the cut off pattern for MO, which is turning 5 by August 1 to begin school. We began my older daughter in a private school and her birthday is August as well, so she began school one day, had her birthday the next. She could easily have been in K the year earlier, but the younger daughter needed an extra 1/2 year before beginning to tackle anything.

My daughter will turn 12 while she's still in 6th grade because we've decided to stretch 6th grade (which she's going into this fall) out over a two year period. She'll turn 12 in October of her second year of 6th grade. (Therefore she'll end up turning 13 like a month after we start 7th grade).

All my kids, when they were 12, were in 6th grade and so will the last 2. :001_smile:

Well, technically my dd was 12 in 6th grade as well. She started 6th grade as an 11 yr old.

My dd's b-day is the very end of Sept. So she will turn 13 in 7th. States really vary as to what the cut-off date is. Most are Sept 1.

http://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

Mine was 12 and in 7th.

But I found it VERY common, on his sports teams, which are created by age, not grade, that MOST of his teammates, while 12, were in 6th. These were public school students for the most part. That was in FL...not sure on the cut-off thing...never paid attention it.

Funny you asked because I was thinking alot about this recently, about HOW it happened that he is apparently a grade level above the PS kids his same age, for the most part. I mean, he turned 5 in July and started K5 in August...pretty normal pattern, right?

It's not that it matters much, I guess, except that he will be on the young side of grade level classmates, should he ever go to public school for high school.

My dd who just completed 7th was 12 in Sept, she turned 13 in April, my now 4th grader will be 13 in Sept of her 7th grade year, her birthday is the end of July so she would have just turned 13 5 weeks prior, My 6 year old will be 12 turning 13 in Oct of his 7th grade year and my 5 year old will be 12 turning 13 in Feb of his 7th grade year.

According to research I did several months ago on age/grades (not that it applies to every child), a child that starts 6th grade should turn 12 within the school year and be 12 for most of the school year. If a child is already 12 before September, then most likely they would be starting 7th grade.

Grammar Stage - grades 1-4 (age 7-10)

Logic Stage - grades 5-8 (age 11-14)

Rhetoric Stage - grades 9-12 (age 15-18)

6th. I didn't do K for this boy until he was 6 because he just wasn't ready at 5. His birthday is the end of May.

Now I've got a 5 year old with an April birthday that will start K at 5 because he's more than ready. So unless something goes awry he'll be 7th grade when he's 12. Only time will tell.

HTH!

Mine will turn 12 in early October, so they "technically" are in 6th grade. They went to PS in K and the cut-off was the first of August...or was it the first of Sept...??? Can't remember. Anyway, they got to wait a year which was very much needed as twin boys. :) I have kept them on that schedule since then, but obviously, with homeschooling, I go faster or slower depending on their needs.

Holly

My son will be 12 in 6th grade.

He is a September birthday so he would have been the youngest if I pushed him forward or the oldest if I held him back.

He had a severe speech delay (and was finally catching up when Kindergarten began so it was a no brainer)

My 12yo DD will be in 8th. She has a November birthday and turned 5 during a weird transition when our local schools were moving from a Dec 31st cutoff to a Sept. 1st cutoff. So she was 4 and 3/4 when she started kindergarten. (We weren't homeschooling yet). She did fine, but was so little! If she had the same birthday but was born a year later she would be in 7th.