Menu

In September your 12 year old will be in which grade?

Quiver0f10

According to me, ds will be in 6th when he is 12. According to ds, he will be in 7th.:) I haven't worried too much about it, because he works at whatever level he needs in all his subjects. I may give it a little more thought, because we **might** consider ps high school for him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD is 12 at the end of August and will be in 7th Grade.

Mine too, though she is young for her class at church, so we've been considering calling her 6th because her best friend at church is in 6th and it will buy her some time for youth group. She knows she is doing all 7th grade work so it doesn't really matter to her.

My son was 12 in April so turned 13 during 7th grade. I really think it varies for each child, but these days, it is not unusual for kids to be 13 or turning 13 with a fall birthday starting 7th. All the girls in my dd class at church who are starting 7th in public school will be 13 in the next couple of months. I think it really helps in a ps setting.

Though I agree with saying age-based grades for elementary, regardless of what is really going on,

by 7th or 8th grade, I think we can tweak that grade level based on the needs of our individual children.

My late bday 12yr old was an 8th grader (by TX, would have been 6th; but we always used LA cut-off with her and then moved her up a year also).

My spring bday 12yr old was a 7th grader (we used a virtual academy and I wasn't allowed to classify him as a 6th grader which I most certainly would have done had I been allowed to).

Anyway, so 6th to 8th grade, depending. And I'd probably use this next year to decide if you are considering holding back or moving on.

Though I agree with saying age-based grades for elementary, regardless of what is really going on,

by 7th or 8th grade, I think we can tweak that grade level based on the needs of our individual children.

My late bday 12yr old was an 8th grader (by TX, would have been 6th; but we always used LA cut-off with her and then moved her up a year also).

My spring bday 12yr old was a 7th grader (we used a virtual academy and I wasn't allowed to classify him as a 6th grader which I most certainly would have done had I been allowed to).

Anyway, so 6th to 8th grade, depending. And I'd probably use this next year to decide if you are considering holding back or moving on.

I do not believe that a child turning 13 in the early months of the school yr is "holding them back". It is how the school systems do classify students, so it is the norm. Not graduating children early is a completely acceptable practice, regardless of their ability level.

There are benefits for having academically advanced students still graduate at the standard 12th grade age. My 15 yos could easily function completely at the local CC. By the end of 10th grade, he will have enough high school credits to be competitive for typical university admissions. However, by delaying his graduation until after his 12th grade yr, it allows him time to develop a unique transcript showing strong interests and pursuits which will hopefully make him competitive for scholarships at top-tier schools.

Just another perspective vs. the pushing them forward and graduating early.

I'm just curious why you care? I called it 7th grade when my boys were twelve. That said, there curriculums were VERY different.

Oldest

Algebra

He did physical science. ( Did biology in 8th and general in 6th)

TOG year 1 dialectic level

Middle

Chalkdust Prealgebra

Apologia General Science

TOG year 3 rhetoric level ( modified for lit a little bit)

So which one did 7th grade work???? Both.. Or did they do 6th or 8th grade work. I have no interest in graduating early. They will do the hardest material they can in every subject that THEY are capable of by the time they graduate. As you can see my oldest excels in math and science and my youngest in literature and history.

So who cares what grade they are in????

Christine

I'm just curious why you care? I called it 7th grade when my boys were twelve. That said, there curriculums were VERY different.

So who cares what grade they are in????

Christine

I have a child with LD and I have kept him back. I was having a panic attack thinking how old he will be when he graduates; thus this thread. A dear friend reminded me that it doesn't matter what grade he is in, that I need to teach him where he is at. He will graduate when he is ready.

Just to give another perspective, my oldest will turn 12 April 30th 2012. The state thinks he will be finishing 5th grade then. For our household, he will be finishing his first year of "middle school". He will continue "middle school" until he is ready for "high school". It may take 3 years, it may take 4. Either way, he's fine by "legal" requirements.!!

He is a twice exceptional kid whose learning disabilities keep him behind in some areas, while with homeschooling he works successfully ahead in many others. He is planning on college. I see no reason to push him there before he is ready. High school will be 4 or less years, for transcript purposes, so now is the time to slow down and make sure he has a strong, independent base!

DD will be technically 7th for her 12 year, and DS #2. They will both likely be working 2-3 years ahead in most if not all subjects then. I still will call them the youngest grade the state allows. That way there is time for dual enrollment, mission trips, music, exploring foreign languages, sports, etc...With homeschooling its not an issue of not being able to challenge them - you just do harder work or expect more depth - so its never made sense for me to "move them ahead". Now, if I lived somewhere without a community college, or on-line AP classes, or great resources, then I may feel differently.

Teach them where they are, but give them time...there is so little of that in the adult world!

Erin

6th, she has dyslexia and is incredibly shy. Her best friend is one year younger so we chose to put her one grade lower when she was 7 and struggling. Now that she is at grade level or above and doing great we offered to place her back in 7th but she loves the group of girls in her grade that she interacts with so she's staying.

I have a child with LD and I have kept him back. I was having a panic attack thinking how old he will be when he graduates; thus this thread. A dear friend reminded me that it doesn't matter what grade he is in, that I need to teach him where he is at. He will graduate when he is ready.

Your friend is right :) And just keep that in mind. This all isn't a race and the best way to serve any child is to meet them where they are - not where you or the state or the public school system says they should be according to some arbitrary age guidelines :grouphug:

My son is in multiple "grade" levels really because he has strengths and weaknesses. He loves science and math, is less enthused with reading and writing. The one thing about homeschooling that public schooling can never match is the ability to tailor your child's education between grades, to meet them where they need to be met.

Don't worry :)

Right now, most of my children will either turn 12 during 6th grade, or right after they begin 6th grade. I have two who may turn 12 at the end of 6th grade, but may still wind up with an extra year at home (too early to tell).

Your friend is right :) And just keep that in mind. This all isn't a race and the best way to serve any child is to meet them where they are - not where you or the state or the public school system says they should be according to some arbitrary age guidelines :grouphug:

My son is in multiple "grade" levels really because he has strengths and weaknesses. He loves science and math, is less enthused with reading and writing. The one thing about homeschooling that public schooling can never match is the ability to tailor your child's education between grades, to meet them where they need to be met.

Don't worry :)

:grouphug: Thank you!

6th grade, and my 13 year old will be in 7th plus my 10 yo will be in 4th. Those are all boys and they all have summer birthdays and I'm very happy that they all got an extra year. I have always looked at that as having extra time before starting school, but a friend pointed out that it was also extra time before starting college. LOTS of boys (and sometimes girls) need that extra year to mature.

ds #1 - was in 7th (January birthday)

dd #1 - was in 8th (December birthday)

ds #2 - was in 6th (July birthday)

ds #3 - was in 6th (July birthday)

dd #2 - will be in 7th (February birthday)

ds #4 - will be in 6th (August birthday)

All my summer boys stay the same age the entire school year. (Most kids start 7th grade at 12 and often finish it at 13. My boys start the school year older than most of their peers, but are the same age at the end of the school year.)

HTH

My DS will turn 12 right after he starts 6th grade, my other will start 7th at 12 but will turn 13 by Dec.

I totally redshirted them for sports, of course! There is no other reason to give kids extra time at home before starting school. lol kidding!

My oldest was 12 last year when he started 7th grade.

My dd will start 7th grade at age 12 in the 2012-13 school year.

My next ds is 2 years younger than his sister, but I didn't start him in 1st grade until he was 7 (legally required age to start officially in our state), so he will be starting 6th grade when he is 12. Same for his younger brother.

I wish I had thought to start my older two at a later age, but they are doing fine. The younger two can use the extra time to mature. I really like the idea that they will have more time to enhance their transcripts as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

• 7 months later...

We have a Sept 1st cut off. I started both older boys with mid Oct. b-day's in K when they were almost 5. They were both very smart and ready for the K academics. We continued like that for years with them both being a year ahead - according the the ps guidelines. This year they were 9th and 7th. We have decided to do the grade again. For absolutely no academic reason at all..they are both well ahead and doing excellent. However, for maturity sake, SAT/ACT testing, and not rushing college and career decisions, we thought it would be best. If they end up at the end done with HS and ready in all the important way s for college or work life, then they can graduate. I feel the time now at ages 12 and 14 is necessary to slow it down and not rush. It also will work to my 2nd son's advantage in sports. It will build a better transcript as well. Both boys are already starting businesses and it gives them some time for that as well! :)