Menu

Do you provide drinks for guys working on your property?

Dh is a plumbing contractor and, while it hasn't happened often, he has been shown a courtesy like that once or twice.

Then, there was the desperate housewife who tried to offer him a little more refreshment than is customary...:tongue_smilie:

:svengo::svengo:

I think that is very kind of you. I know I am thankful that I am not the one out there in the heat.

When we had our roof done, I allowed the workers to heat their food using my microwave...lol. It was winter at that time. My dh was a builder at that time and he knew the boss of the workers so I really wasn't afraid of them plus my dh was at home during those times. I offered them water as well.

My dh said, it is definitely not a common ettiquette but it was sure a nice thing to do.

Julia

I provided ice and drinks - just water and some punch. It was HOT and I thought this was common etiquette, but the guys just got done with our roof and they told me that no one does that here??

They were sooo thankful that I felt embarrassed.

What's up with that? Am I nuts?

Georgia

We absolutely do that.

I've even seen my mom feed the workin guys big plates of food. :001_smile:

I don't know if it's something that's more common with Mexicans? I've never had anyone say no to lemonade, much less a plate of beans, rice, and tamales.

I provided ice and drinks - just water and some punch. It was HOT and I thought this was common etiquette, but the guys just got done with our roof and they told me that no one does that here??

Georgia

I do that.

I also give gatorade to the garbage men and mail carriers on hot days.

I absolutely keep drinks out for anyone working on my home. Well, I actually even did it last year for the men replacing gas lines on our street. They would work from day light to dark and eat sack lunches. Last time I had work done I filled my ice chest with ice and loaded it with drinks. When I discovered one loved grape soda, I made sure I added a couple cans of that as well. But then he had been especially nice to my son explaining in detail the whats and whys of what they were doing in addition to repairing his shovel. I would hope that someone would do that for my spouse as well if he was out working. I have also been known to provide snacks. My dad has sometimes taken it a bit further. He will buy or make lunches for guys working on his property. Of course that is to his advantage as well - by cutting out the travel time and restaurant eating time he was able to keep them working on the job more hours. Otherwise they would take 2 hours for lunch and take longer to finish the work he had contracted.

My grandmother, in her 80s, has been known to cook entire meals and send the men home with leftovers and entire cakes. She loves having someone to spoil ;)

Always. We also don't have much done here, since dh does most of it, but I have had the tree stump removal guy and the appliance delivery guys out here.

We've even been known to run drinks out to the guys who mow the side of the road, etc. It gets hot here in the summer!

The idea that someone on your property/ in your home is a guest is old-fashioned, I guess. Also, many homes don't have someone home during the day anymore, so workers might not even see anyone to offer them drinks.

I'm in northern VA. When we had our roof replaced last fall I offered the men (they were all men) iced water and drinks but they said, "No thanks. We have our own." I just think it's a common curtesy to offer something to drink to workers on my property on a hot day.

I also offered to let them use one of our bathrooms, but they never did! They were out there ALL day! I think (hope) they drove to someplace else to use restrooms.

Feed them, water them, whatever I think they need. I am like a mother hen. We just had two new HVAC units installed yesterday - one of them being in the attic. Talk about HOT! I left out a tray of all types of drinks and bowls with some chocolates and other goodies on the kitchen counter. I showed the four men working where things were and to please help themselves. They were astonished that I was doing that for them. They had never had anyone do that for them. I was astonished at that statement!

These guys put in a 10 hour day and did a fantastic job. I must have been thanked 20 times for my kindness. To me, it is just what I do.

I always offer coffee or cold drinks to people working in (or on) the house. Depending on the economic environment, I also offer basic sandwiches (we are originally from South Africa, and labourers there are often poorly paid).

I guess it depends on what the work is for. If it's something that can be accomplished in a few hours, I will offer them water/ice/pop if we have it, but I would never presume to offer food. For one thing, in a gluten-free house, I can't *afford* to feed someone else; for another, the worker(s) know what their job is, they have provided themselves with the food/water that they need. I have too many kids with too many activities to busy myself providing extras to people I am already paying to do their jobs.

I do, however, ALWAYS offer ice water or pop (if we have it) to the people who come knocking on our door, trying to sell stuff. It is almost always kids (whose parents have told them to refuse) or middle-aged guys who have had to take whatever dead-end job they can get in this economy. One poor guy last week looked like he was going to pass out. When I invited him in, told him firmly that I wouldn't be buying what he was selling but I was happy to give him a go-cup of ice-water and as many popsicles as he wanted, he looked again like he would pass out from happiness.

Only people we ever get are the packers/movers and then the unpackers. We always feed them. And we let the packers know early on that day we will be ordering pizza at lunch time. It seems to help things get packed extra carefully.

However when we lived on base, I'd buy a case of water and hand that out to the airmen walking security on Halloween nights. My friend and I pooled our candy and had around 800 pieces together. We ran out while the kids were still going strong. So that should give you an idea of how many kids, including Japanese locals are wandering around. And plus it's on base, so kids you wouldn't let T'o'T parentless at home are running in groups. So there is a lot for these poor guys, all in uniform, walking around in the humidity to deal with. We offered them candy, but so did everyone. They were always very happy to offered water and any juice boxes I had on hand.

I do, however, ALWAYS offer ice water or pop (if we have it) to the people who come knocking on our door, trying to sell stuff. It is almost always kids (whose parents have told them to refuse) or middle-aged guys who have had to take whatever dead-end job they can get in this economy. One poor guy last week looked like he was going to pass out. When I invited him in, told him firmly that I wouldn't be buying what he was selling but I was happy to give him a go-cup of ice-water and as many popsicles as he wanted, he looked again like he would pass out from happiness.

You must live in a much safer place than I. I would offer the water and popsicles but I would never invite him in. There have been home invasions here by traveling salesmen.

We live in such a small town that the guys here would probably feel comfortable helping themselves. Of course, we know their parents, spouses, children, sisters, brother in laws, where they go to church, eat lunch, what day they mow their lawns and if they scratch themselves in public.

Georgia

Any time I have had a work crew here I have but most of the time either my dh or one of my ds's were a part of the crew. I would most of the time also provide lunch for the bunch. That is just the country way of life I was raised in.

This is an interesting thread because I used to do this, but the last 5 or so service people have refused (even if I set it out where they can get it if they want, they ignore it) water, pop, coffee, or even fresh homemade cookies.

It's getting awkward, so I've dropped down to just offering. They'd prefer to sit out in their trucks. I feel bad, but what can you do?

When my husband was a teen, it was common for groups of boys to earn money haying. He said that every place he put hay in for, without fail, would at least offer them water or pop, and a lot of times snacks. Except one. This lady had told the boys there was pop in the cooler that she set out. Then when they went to get one out, there was a sign on it that said pop .50 He laughs because this happened every year he hayed for them, and you could buy pop in a machine for .35

I always offer, but the few guys we have had here to work have all refused.

Yep, we did. Years ago we had a crew of men who worked on a second drive and lots of clearing jobs on our property (when we lived in Alaska). We offered drinks often... once we served dinner. I remember the day my daughter (Daisy Mommy!) offered iced tea... she had washed up several glasses quickly and poured tea and served it and everyone was SO nice... and even thanked her... because she hadn't rinsed the glasses very good and the tea was just a little soapy!! (She was 11 or 12)