Menu

Birthing ? - how comfortable would you be with your daughter

having a home birth?

I had a home birth, and 2 others in a birth center, all 3 VBACs. My dd is considering a home birth. On the one hand I'm excited, but otoh, my older, more paranoid self wants her to have every emergency option at hand.

I firmly believe that home birthing is safe, but this is my baby having a baby. Why am I so paranoid though?

They live about 5 minutes from the hospital where she would deliver.

Any input?

I'm not there yet but can share that a dear friend who birthed all 5 of her babies at home was really freaked out when her dil had her first homebirth. My friend was a wreck, to be honest, with worry. All went well and her dil just delivered her 3rd baby at home. :)

I think I will feel the same when it is time for my "babies" to have their own babies no matter where they birth. ;)

especially if she wanted me there
This is one of my prayers in life - that my dds will want me at the births of their babies. lol, I told my 12yod that sometimes the dh does not want the mil there and her response was, "Well then HE can sit in the waiting room...YOU will be there!" Good girl. Edited by LuvnMySvn

I would insist on being present, and have her assurances that "when in doubt" go to the hospital, but other then that, sounds great! In the end it's her decision. If you decide to "disagree", I would do it subtlely, and be very gentle. You don't want to end up being banned at the last moment for lack of "loving support". A friend did this to her MIL during the birth of her 1st child because the MIL wasn't 100% for the marriage in the beginning. My friend felt so bad later (hormones) but these things happen. Congrats on Gchild, good luck.

:grouphug:

I would love it, especially if she wanted me there.

:iagree: I had four home births and would not be surprised if any of my girls chose the same. The only thing I would worry about is the midwife's competence. I'd also make sure my dd knows what's normal and what's not. I taught natural childbirth classes for eight years, so I would hope she would at least ask me for some book recommendations. :)

I would be thrilled, supportive, and nervous all at the same time. I would NOT insist on being there, however. If she invites you, that's a wonderful blessing! (I pray I'm invited to my DD's births.) If not, I would never intrude. I've had that done to me. I'm a very private person, and want no one at my births unless they absolutely HAVE to be there. (Which means for me, my husband and any necessary medical personnel, since my one homebirth attempt ended in a transfer.) Now, I don't even tell my family I'm in labor, because I don't want to be intruded upon. Talk to her, make sure she's well educated, but try to remember it's her birth. (I'm not there yet, mine are young, but I'm VERY sure it's much easier said than done. :grouphug:)

Well, since my daughter is only three months, I have a while to go before I think of this.:lol:

You have been very worried throughout her whole pregnancy. She's your baby, of course you are worried. Just get through this like you got through everything else. Ultimately it's up to her and her husband; you are free to give her advice and share your wisdom.

In your last thread about going out there for 9 weeks, it did seem very much that she was nervous/scared/worried and just wanted the support of her mama. You can support her in this and give her comfort. Just make sure she has a good midwife and make sure you know all the warning signs of when to get help.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You can do this. You can help her.

It definitely excites me for her, as my out of hospital births, and especially my home birth, were great experiences for me.

She definitely wants me there for support throughout (and after as many of you know).

I have been overly worried during her pg. I guess with my other dd having 2 miscarriages, and my having had the 4 ectopic losses, I just really need this baby to be born safe and healthy! I pray for him every day!

I would never discourage her, and I haven't voiced my fears, mainly because they are just freak paranoias at this moment. She has been reading and will continue to do so. She wants to do a water birth so we both have a lot to learn on that end.

Exciting!!!

I firmly believe that home birthing is safe, but this is my baby having a baby. Why am I so paranoid though?

I totally get this!! I really do. I've had 6 completely successful unassisted VBACs at home (absolutely wonderful experiences!) and my heart still jumps to my throat when I ponder my daughters giving birth. I don't know if I could be there. I think I'd rather be in my prayer corner praying an akathist.

"how comfortable would you be with your daughter having a home birth?"

I would not be comfortable with it at all ~ it's not something that I see as safe and I wouldn't support it. (for her or for anyone)

I'm just answering the question, not trying to start any kind of argument. People have different thoughts about different things. :)

having a home birth?

I had a home birth, and 2 others in a birth center, all 3 VBACs. My dd is considering a home birth. On the one hand I'm excited, but otoh, my older, more paranoid self wants her to have every emergency option at hand.

They live about 5 minutes from the hospital where she would deliver.

Any input?

It would depend if they were doing unassisted or midwife attended for me. :)

I'm pretty uncomfortable with unassisted even if it's silly of me. As long as she is healthy & strong & educated, if she had a midwife present, I would feel it was the safest option for her both for her health and the baby's health. Hospitals aren't a great place for a little person to be welcomed into the world with an immature immune system.

I've always wished I could... So I'd get to live a little bit through her, lol. ;)

I'd be very comfortable, provided that the midwife was experienced and competent, that she carried the necessary training, meds and equipment to handle emergencies prior to transport and there was a well-thought-out transport plan. I had a homebirth myself after all the horrors that were inflicted upon me at a hospital (for which I am still paying the price.) Home birth is as safe or safer than hospital birth for low risk women.

I'd be comfortable. I had hoped that when my most recent grandchild was born, my daughter would do a homebirth but she opted not to. (She's the only daughter who would have considered it.)

Unassisted would make me nervous, but I would still support it if it were her choice and she were well educated, but that doesn't seem to be the choice here.

With a competent midwife, I'd be thrilled for my dd if that's what she chooses (many many years from now, I hope!) I had her in a hospital with a midwife, my two middle kids were born at home with the same midwife, and my last in the hospital with another midwife (he was a tad early.)

Having typed out "midwife" a couple of times, now it looks funny :lol: midwife midwife midwife

Congratulations on the grandchild!

I would be ok with it esp. if the pregnancy had no complications AND since she's 5 min from a hossy. We're 40 min from a hossy and I'd LOVE a homebirth (I'm due the 30th), BUT I've had/am having complications AND we're so far from the hossy.

As far as your dd, I bet she'd really appreciate all the support she can get in her homebirth. Good luck!

It would not be any of my business if she wanted to have a homebirth, have a hospital birth or schedule a c-section in advance. It is her choice and hers alone, IMO and I would refrain from tossing in my two cents unless asked.

(FWIW, both of my kids were homebirths so I'd obviously be okay with it.)

I told my 12yod that sometimes the dh does not want the mil there and her response was, "Well then HE can sit in the waiting room...YOU will be there!" Good girl.

Good for her! When I was in labor with my first, I told my DH that it was time to call my mom. He said, "Are you sure you want her here?" I looked at him and said, "Call my momma, NOW!" He said I looked like something out of the Exorcist. :lol:

As the adorable 7-month-old on my lap was born safely at home (as was my little brother), I'm in the YAY, HOMEBIRTH!! camp. (Plus the studies of over 500,000 mothers that it's as safe or safer than hospital birth in low-risk births, etc.) I would only feel comfortable with it if there is a hospital decently close, however. If I was an hour away from the nearest hospital I might get a hotel room close by instead ;). We are also 5 min from the hospital and at that distance, she'd probably get there before the OR was even ready for her in the minute chance that she were to need it.

Edited by LittleIzumi

Absolutely...if she was comfortable with her decision. If she had any sense of uncertainty I would talk with her about it a little. Not to sway her one way or the other but for her to understand that if she's not comfortable at home, she needs to not birth there.

And I would pray she had me help assist at the birth. ;)

Because this is your baby having a baby. ;) I've seen client's mothers have a really hard time being in attendance at the birth. When labor gets hard, Moms many times have to leave the room. And thats ok! Just understand that if you are asked to be there (whether it's at home or in the hospital), if you start feeling that way...leave the room! Don't stay in there with that energy.

Have you met her midwife yet?

I would not be comfortable with it at all ~ it's not something that I see as safe and I wouldn't support it. (fo

See this a lot too. ;) And I'd say 90% of the time once a client's mom sits down with us and asks her questions, she feels much more at peace with everything. And of those, after the birth they tell everyone they know how wonderful her daughter's home birth was and how beautiful home birth is. ;)

We do see the occasional moms who don't support it. Those clients usually have a really hard time emotionally during the pregnancy, especially if they are close to their mother. So Lidyia (or any one out there who feels the same way), IF she ever were to choose home birth... ;), please keep in mind that while you may not be in agreement with your daughters decision, she needs your respect. She needs you to know that you love her and that you respect that she is making an informed decision about her birth.

I totally understand!!! I had one homebirth and I'm VERY supportive. But, my sister is considering it and it terrifies me! I can only imagine if my dd were considering it. I'd be a nervous wreck too!

While I wouldn't share with my dd my fears, I'd ask questions. Does the midwife carry emergency meds? (I bled a LOT after my homebirth and I'm SO thankful my midwife carried medication for that!) Some midwives don't. How close is she, realistically, to the hospital? Mine was a 2 minute drive if we followed the speed limit, but we could've been there in under a minute if necessary. How fast could an ambulance be there? Do they carry medication?

In my sister's case, she's 15 minutes from the local hospital. That's just too far for my comfort zone! But, if she chooses a homebirth, it's her decision!

I would insist on being present.

The physiological process of birth is directly impacted by the mother's feeling of comfort and safety, and the mother's feelings about the birth process can have a long-term psychological impact. If we consider the physical and emotional health and safety of the mother and baby to be the highest priority, as I'm sure most of us would, NO ONE has a right to be there whom the mother does not invite.

If my mother insisted on being present at my homebirth, it would most likely cause a very serious rift in our relationship regardless of how things worked out. I'd either be forced to set very firm boundaries or feel intruded upon during a very private and special time.

No matter how I felt about it personally I'd have to just zip it and go with whatever she and her hubby decide to do. It is there baby and their experience.

:iagree: And, knowing me, I would be terribly worried until everything turned out all right, no matter how my DD chose to give birth. I would fake not feeling that, though, in front of DD (I hope).

No matter how I felt about it personally I'd have to just zip it and go with whatever she and her hubby decide to do. It is there baby and their experience.

:iagree: I think I'd be worried/scared regardless of where the birth occurred, simply b/c that's my kid, darn it.

And ftr, I don't think anyone has the right to *insist* on being present at a birth, other than the Dad. Hope, pray, wish, sure. Insist? Not so much.

My first child was born at home. Everything was normal. (40 hours slow mild pro-dromal labor. 4 hours intense labor. 15 minutes of pushing. Low heart rate in baby corrected with oxygen.)

My second was a hospital transfer from home to the hospital. We knew at 14 weeks it was possible the placenta could tear off causing a threat of life to baby and me. (A rare possibility-rarer than life threatening complications from an elective c-section, but still possible.)

It happened in labor at home at 40 weeks. The amount of personal attention a midwife gives you (I was having contractions 10-12 minutes apart) even in early labor means skilled eyes and ears are on you ready to pick up problems the moment they arise. It also meant not being on a standard pictocin drip which would have caused fast tearing. As soon as the placenta started tearing off the midwife picked up on it and transferred us to the hospital 10 minutes away. She called them as we transferred and they were ready and waiting for us the moment we arrived. Good thing-the hospital (in a city of 200,000) did not have an anesthesiologist on site. He had to be called from home.

We drove to the hospital. (No, we didn't call an ambulance-an ambulance is a waste of precious time.) The placenta detached completely about 15 minutes after arrival and came out before she did during the crash c-section. My left fallopian tube had spontaneously ruptured just before the transfer.

Moral to the story: You can have multiple immediately life threatening complications and end up with a perfectly normal baby and a mom who recovers fully. Midwives are well prepared to anticipate and handle complications.

A friend of mine had her first at home. (She has two uteruses and 2 cervixes-something that will guarantee you a c-section in a hospital.) The second was a cord prolapse. They transferred to the hospital for a c-section. Normal baby. Full recovery for mom.

The chances of needing serious intervention (resulting in a c-section) are 1 in 3 in most hospitals. The chances of needing that kind of intervention with my midwife was 1 in 80 for a hospital transfer and 1 in 40 for a c-section. Why go to the hospital where you will "need" life saving intervention so much more? I say, stay home and if you really need the intervention, you'll get it in a transfer.

My midwife does not do homebirths more than 30 minutes from a large hospital. She has the women labor at her house if they live too far away.

having a home birth?

I have had 7 homebirths and 2 birth center births. I felt the same way about my daughter having a birth center birth with the SAME midwife that I had for my youngest. I didn't say anything because I felt it was her decision and as long as she was comfortable with it I just had to deal. I just chalk it up to normal parental anxiety which is not always logical.

Susan in TX

Edited by Susan in TX
can't count

And ftr, I don't think anyone has the right to *insist* on being present at a birth, other than the Dad. Hope, pray, wish, sure. Insist? Not so much.

Not even the dad, IMO.

When we're talking functional married couples raised in a Western culture, in most cases the mom is going to want the dad there and it's a non-issue.

But if, for whatever reason, the mom does not feel safe and comfortable with having the dad there, he doesn't have the *right* to be there.

It's too bad when he's a good person who wants to be involved and the mom comes from a cultural background that doesn't allow the dad to be at the birth or is simply being selfish about it. But this is an issue where a woman really does need to have autonomy.

(Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.)

Edited by ocelotmom

I think you will be nervous no matter where she births. I know if it was my daughter I'd be 10 times more paranoid if she were birthing in a hospital.

And PLEASE be supportive. I had to cut my mom out of my life during my pregnancy because she would ambush me and berate me for wanting a homebirth, and told me that i must care more about my experience than my child. I didn't tell her I was in labor until I was pushing the baby out. Next time I won't let anyone call until after the baby is born, as she made comments about how she almost called 911.

sigh.

Having had one birth center birth and two homebirths myself (and planning a third), I'd be thrilled if my daughters or DILs wanted to have homebirths! Of course, I wouldn't encourage them if there were serious medical issues, but for a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy and all, I'd encourage homebirthing. (My DD is already a homebirth advocate, LOL.) As for being there, well, that would be an honor, but I'd never insist on it. Also, it would be slightly hypocritical of me to want to be there -- I have only ever wanted my husband with me (and our big kids), even though I love my mom and MIL and find them to be very supportive of our homebirths, and while I'd be thrilled to be a part of my grandchild's birth, I also think it's a very intimate part of a marriage that's really not my place to intrude (especially for the first baby). I think it really depends on the person/couple, though; DH and I are both very, very private, introverted people, and we don't even call people when I'm in labor, not until the baby has arrived and has been weighed and everything.

I would insist on being present, and have her assurances that "when in doubt" go to the hospital, but other then that, sounds great! In the end it's her decision.

You think a mother can "insist" that she should be present? Seriously? And you think that somehow a mother could make her adult dd give assurances that she'd go to the hospital if there were problems? Seriously? What would happen if the adult dd didn't want to give those assurances to her mother? Why would a mother try to have that kind of control over her adult daughter?:confused:

having a home birth?

Not for the first baby, not my kid. Bad labors run in my family, I had 2 c-sections after extremely long labors (due to fibroids.)

If I had been able to birth naturally, I would be all for it.

Her birth, her decision. I completely understand your apprehensions. She is your baby. :grouphug: I would encourage you to be supportive of her decision, whatever it may be, and to offer your opinion if asked.

I think it's completely absurd to insist upon being present at someone else's birth. Wow.

Foxbridgeacademy

Would you insist on being at your daughter's hospital birth? Why are you entitled to be present? Are you going to make her promise to consent to a c-section "when in doubt?" Just curious where that is all coming from.

No midwife would even consider allowing you at a homebirth with the "I insist on being there" and "when in doubt" attitude. My midwife requires meeting anyone invited to the birth and explains that SHE is legally and morally responsible for how things are handled. SHE has the years of training and experience on handling complications and knows which can be handled at home and which require a transfer. Anyone unwilling to defer to her is not allowed at the birth and she says so.

The last thing any woman needs is an overbearing mother in the role of "amateur midwife" at her labor and delivery fretting and second guessing the expertise of a licensed midwife. Midwives aren't doulas who are there to provide emotional support. They are trained medical professionals.

What good are assurances of an untrained laboring woman that she'll transfer "when in doubt?" She hasn't the medical training or experience to evaluate evidence of possible emerging complications. In the intensity of labor it's not the laboring woman's decision to call a hospital transfer-that's what she's paying the midwife to know and decide. It's not her call on how to handle complications that can be handled at home. The midwife will tell the woman what her options (if any) are if there's time. That's why midwives have midwives at their OWN deliveries. Mine didn't even ask. She said, "It looks like the placenta is starting to separate-You're going to the hospital now." If there is time to discuss and evaluate options then it's not immediately life threatening.

Do you really think a midwife is going to gamble her career, reputation, and calling in life just to make a point of keeping a woman at home in a doubtful situation? If she's found negligent, she's going to prison for heaven's sake. If you weren't serious about that, why would you say what you did? Women have to take enough crap from people about homebirths as it is.

Heck to the no. Never, ever, ever. This crunchy anti-science , anti medical -training stuff is just bizarre to me. Do you have any idea how many women would love to have a clean , staffed hospital to give birth in ??? Check this link as just one example .

http://www.endfistula.org/ I just do not understand why one would forego what is a safe and sterile way to have a child which causes many, many deaths or conditions in which death is a mercy in third world countries. Flame away . Incidentally, I have more first hand experience with poor outcomes than some here as we litigated exclusively birth trauma injury and death for years. It is still far and away the best system for the safety of mother and child.

Foxbridgeacademy

Would you insist on being at your daughter's hospital birth? Why are you entitled to be present? Are you going to make her promise to consent to a c-section "when in doubt?" Just curious where that is all coming from.

No midwife would even consider allowing you at a homebirth with the "I insist on being there" and "when in doubt" attitude. My midwife requires meeting anyone invited to the birth and explains that SHE is legally and morally responsible for how things are handled. SHE has the years of training and experience on handling complications and knows which can be handled at home and which require a transfer. Anyone unwilling to defer to her is not allowed at the birth and she says so.

The last thing any woman needs is an overbearing mother in the role of "amateur midwife" at her labor and delivery fretting and second guessing the expertise of a licensed midwife. Midwives aren't doulas who are there to provide emotional support. They are trained medical professionals.

What good are assurances of an untrained laboring woman that she'll transfer "when in doubt?" She hasn't the medical training or experience to evaluate evidence of possible emerging complications. In the intensity of labor it's not the laboring woman's decision to call a hospital transfer-that's what she's paying the midwife to know and decide. It's not her call on how to handle complications that can be handled at home. The midwife will tell the woman what her options (if any) are if there's time. That's why midwives have midwives at their OWN deliveries. Mine didn't even ask. She said, "It looks like the placenta is starting to separate-You're going to the hospital now." If there is time to discuss and evaluate options then it's not immediately life threatening.

Do you really think a midwife is going to gamble her career, reputation, and calling in life just to make a point of keeping a woman at home in a doubtful situation? If she's found negligent, she's going to prison for heaven's sake. If you weren't serious about that, why would you say what you did? Women have to take enough crap from people about homebirths as it is.

Well said.

I had 3 homebirths out of 4 dc, and each one was a wonderful experience. For the first homebirth (second dc) I invited my mum to be there with me. She had had the most hideous birth experiences with my siblings and me and I wanted her to see a peaceful, private labor and birth. She tucked herself away in a corner of my room and I hardly noticed she was there. She has said since - more than once - that it was one of the most amazing experiences of her life. :001_smile:

Dh was the one to give me support in all my labors, which is what we both wanted. He sometimes jokes that he was the one who had it the worst, because I dug my fingers into his hands during contractions (and my labors weren't short).. poor fella.. he gets a friendly punch for that comment!! :lol:

I think each woman has the right to choose who attends her during childbirth, and where she labors, and no-one should make any judgements about other people's choices. My sister could never understand why I had homebirths, because she just needed to be in a hospital with every eventuality to hand. That was what made her most comfortable, most relaxed. I needed a different environment to relax. Outcomes for labor are so closely connected with control over support and choices.

Edited by Hedgehog

Heck to the no. Never, ever, ever. This crunchy anti-science , anti medical -training stuff is just bizarre to me. Do you have any idea how many women would love to have a clean , staffed hospital to give birth in ??? Check this link as just one example .

http://www.endfistula.org/ I just do not understand why one would forego what is a safe and sterile way to have a child which causes many, many deaths or conditions in which death is a mercy in third world countries. Flame away . Incidentally, I have more first hand experience with poor outcomes than some here as we litigated exclusively birth trauma injury and death for years. It is still far and away the best system for the safety of mother and child.

Third world homebirth: Most likely attended by someone with little or no formal training, with limited sanitary resources and no hospital backup, with a mother who has likely been suffering from nutritional deficiencies her whole life, where there is inadequate prenatal care. She may have had genital mutilation performed, or been violently raped, increasing the risk of a difficult labor. She is likely either very young, or has had many previous children.

US Homebirth: Most often attended by a midwife who has received extensive formal training and an apprenticeship period, who is held to a certain standard of care. Women are generally well-nourished, and of a reasonable age (ie. generally not 12 years old). Sterile, disposable equipment is used, just as in a hospital, and O2, emergency medication to control bleeding, and sutures are available. Women receive prenatal care, and transfer of care to an OB/Hospital happens if there is a sign of problems, either prenatally or during labor.

Let's look at the website you reference:

How does fistula occur?

Unattended obstructed labour can last for up to six or seven days, although the foetus usually dies after two or three days. During the prolonged labour, the soft tissues of the pelvis are compressed between the descending baby's head and the mother's pelvic bone. The lack of blood flow causes tissue to die, creating a hole between the mother's vagina and bladder (known as a vesicovaginal fistula), or between the vagina and rectum (causing a rectovaginal fistula) or both. The result is a leaking of urine or faeces or both.

Irrelevant to homebirth with a properly trained attendant who monitors fetal heart tones regularly and transfers at a sign that the fetus is going downhill. While a homebirth midwife would often let a woman labor without intervention for longer than a hospital, this would not be the case if either the baby or mother were showing signs of problems.

Poverty, malnutrition, poor health services, early childbearing and gender discrimination are interlinked root causes of obstetric fistula. Poverty is the main social risk factor because it is associated with early marriage and malnutrition and because poverty reduces a woman's chances of getting timely obstetric care. Because of their low status in many communities, women often lack the power to choose when to start bearing children or where to give birth. Childbearing before the pelvis is fully developed, as well as malnutrition, small stature and general poor health, are contributing physiological factors to obstructed labour. Older women who have delivered many children are at risk as well.

These factors are rarely an issue in homebirth in the US.

There are definitely arguments against the safety of homebirth (as well as scientific studies that support its safety), but comparing homebirth attended by a trained midwife in a developed country to homebirth in a third world country is probably one of the least convincing.

Edited by ocelotmom

Um. and what percentage of those cases involved hospital birth??? Seriously, there is nothing anti science or anti medical training about home birth with a trained midwife. Nothing. It is all based on science, statistics, and actual evidence based medicine. The same cannot be said about obstetrics in this country. Almost NONE of the typical procedures in a hospital are based on science! Read the WHO statements on labor and birth and compare it to what happens in a hospital birth. ALMOST EVERYTHING they say not to do happens in our medical system. There is NO evidence supporting routine induction, the 33 percent c-section rate, routine breaking of waters, continuous monitoring, episiotomy, etc.

If hospitals practiced based on science and evidence and fact, than maybe women wouldn't need to choose homebirth.

I have a college science degree, which is WHY i chose homebirth.

That made me :lol:

Yeah, because the hospital in my city where a clients partner contracted a staph infection just from being at the hospital with her was SOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking clean. Hospitals are NOT sterile. Homes are not sterile but it is filled with germs that a woman and the baby have been exposed to.

Please do research before you spout off about home birth, midwifery training, maternal morbidity rates, etc. in the U.S.