Menu

Do you reevaluate homeschooling year by year....

I guess we are year-by-year folks. If, for some reason, a traditional school environment would better meet the needs of one or more of my children then that is where they would be, but we are comfortable and confident with our decision to homeschool. It's not like we are sitting around every spring second guessing ourselves.

I guess we are somewhere in the middle. It would take a LOT of convincing for me to believe that public school would be better for one of my kids. ;) However, nothing is completely ruled out since I can't predict the future. We homeschool for academic reasons.

So, no, it's not a year-by-year thing for us. Homeschool is the default. That would only change if homeschooling failed to meet the academic needs of my child(ren). :)

We are year by year people and we probably do sit around each spring second guessing ourselves. :) Some of that second guessing is because we always seem to be in the middle of some big "life thing" and some of it is simply me hitting burnout each year. This spring is one of the first times in several years that there was no second guessing. I feel like we've hit our groove and I'm starting to really see the fruits of our labors, so for this year at least, we didn't really discuss it at length.

Yes, we reevaluate each year. Our kids have a major say in how they are educated so we talk about it each year and make plans accordingly.

My older children are not homeschooling now because they found other programs that fit them well.

They both comment on how much they miss homeschooling and that it was a great experience for them. They don't regret the time we spent homeschooling and even have days where they wish they still did.

We do not have high schools locally with appropriate programs for our children, and we no longer live near the K-8 Lutheran school that I previously taught at. So, homeschooling is given unless something such as a serious health crisis for me occured. Even then, dd would probably try to help some and as the boys are getting more independent in their learning, dh could teach the math and math based sciences in the evenings, with a dear friend of mine's help on English/Literature, and history. He would also consider some online classes and lots of M.I.T. opencourseware with video lectures for them. Our local schools are just that poor!

Faith

I guess we are somewhere in the middle. It would take a LOT of convincing for me to believe that public school would be better for one of my kids. ;) However, nothing is completely ruled out since I can't predict the future. We homeschool for academic reasons.

So, no, it's not a year-by-year thing for us. Homeschool is the default. That would only change if homeschooling failed to meet the academic needs of my child(ren). :)

:iagree:

Year at a time. Though we make decisions about homeschooling, we take into account how it will affect future years, as if we will be homschooling through high school. But one thing life has taught me is that things don't always go according to plan. (Or we wouldn't be homeschooling.) We will be homeschooling next year unless something unforeseeable happens. :)

I'll be a lifetime homeschooler. I have a lot of support from my extended family, so even if something traumatic happened, we would still be able to homeschool. I guess, for me, it comes down to truly knowing that this is the best option. This may not be popular (especially on a classical board!!) but I think even if kids are left entirely to their own devices they will still be better off than in a school setting. Then again, I have read a lot of John Taylor Gatto and to hear his actual experiences of the damage done in school, and to realize the damage done to me in school makes me not want to consider that option for my kids.

That being said, we are not facing traumatic circumstances at the moment, so we are classically educating and I cannot even fathom it being any other way. :)

I told myself from the beginning that I was a year-to-year homeschooler. I have been homeschooling for 12 years now. I always told myself I would be committed as long as I felt it was the best choice for our family. This year we put my ds12 in a charter school and it has been the best thing we could have done for him. My 2 oldest will be going to a charter school next year for sure and my 2 younger students might be going, too.

I'm thinking of it as a sabbatical. I'm tired and just can't keep up with their schooling like I used to do. So, I am sad, but am also happy that I have schools that I feel comfortable with them attending.

We SAY we're year-to-year folks, but at this point I really can't imagine sending my kids to school -- at least not before high school. While it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities, I just don't see it happening. We're happy with what we're doing and the kids are learning a lot.

or is it a lifelong commitment?

I'm just curious...

we are year to year folks.

Yes - we take it year by year. Although, we have some long trips planned for next year so we're definitely in it for at least the next year+. We'll re-evaluate as we go along.

We were year by year homeschoolers. When we moved across county, dd asked to attend a traditional highschool. We found a perfect fit at a smaller Christian highschool. Even though we live in an excellent school district, public schools were never an option for our family.

We are year to year, but all indications are that we will see each child through the junior high years, then go to a private high school. Except now a new classical charter school is opening up in our area and I am reconsidering the jr. high years as well.

I guess we are somewhere in the middle. It would take a LOT of convincing for me to believe that public school would be better for one of my kids. ;) However, nothing is completely ruled out since I can't predict the future. . :)

That's us too. Homeschool is our default choice, but we're open to change if the future. I spend a few weeks every spring right before the school "choice window" deciding if homeschooling is still working. I typically even read up on any new schools or programs in our district. So far nothing has changed our minds about homeschool although we have added in a public school enrichment option that is working well for us.

or is it a lifelong commitment?

I'm just curious...

we are year to year folks.

publically, no.

privately, yes.

i'm trying to raise healthy, happy, competent children who can become healthy, happy, competent adults.... homeschooling is a tool.

ann

We're lifers. :D Dh and I have even discussed how to continue homeschooling should something happen to one of us. We always felt it was something we'd see through to the end, even when we first started homeschooling.

Ds is 13-1/2 now, and depending on their birthdates, some of his friends would be entering high school next year (ds wouldn't). Two have actually chosen to go to ps high school. He is having trouble understanding that decision and has no desire to stop being homeschooled. I do think it's easiest when everyone in the household is on the same page.

We plan for the long haul and then reevaluate when a need arises. High school is the tricky one. My oldest went part-time to ps for a few AP classes and then running start. We had one in private school. Now, I think everyone is settled into hsing and going to classes at the homeschool partnership a couple days a week until they can begin running start in 11th grade at the community college. But when it comes to kids, things can change. :)

We're lifers. I SAY that we can always change our minds and we take it year by year, but the reality is that we don't discuss it every year and we love our lifestyle. However, I suppose I am open slightly to other possibilities for the future, but it would take something huge for me to decide to send the kids to school.

Both... but we will probably homeschool all of the children all the way through. Elementary and Middle schools are a definite (rated average/below average). Our high school is rated highly, but I just can't imagine any of my oldest 3 (at this point), getting what they need there.

I'll be a lifetime homeschooler. I have a lot of support from my extended family, so even if something traumatic happened, we would still be able to homeschool. I guess, for me, it comes down to truly knowing that this is the best option. This may not be popular (especially on a classical board!!) but I think even if kids are left entirely to their own devices they will still be better off than in a school setting. Then again, I have read a lot of John Taylor Gatto and to hear his actual experiences of the damage done in school, and to realize the damage done to me in school makes me not want to consider that option for my kids.

That being said, we are not facing traumatic circumstances at the moment, so we are classically educating and I cannot even fathom it being any other way. :)

I *say* that we take it one year at a time, but the truth is, we are committed to home educating until they graduate....but, I don't want to come across as being a zealot that wouldn't consider public school. So, yes, each year, we stop and pray and ask God if we're meant to continue. Each year, He provides the needed resources and guides us through the next year.

We SAY we're year-to-year folks, but at this point I really can't imagine sending my kids to school -- at least not before high school. While it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities, I just don't see it happening. We're happy with what we're doing and the kids are learning a lot.

except I can't imagine sending mine to high school either (of course, they're very very little yet)

Used to think we took it year by year, but in my heart I knew that we were in it for the long-haul. I think keeping the mindset of year by year made the 12 years seem less daunting. :tongue_smilie:

But every year gets better & we're looking forward to high school. :001_smile:

Year to year. I HS for academic reasons, and if the public school can do a better job than I can, then I have no problems using it. My dd is in public high school and very happy there.

We are moving to a place where I can more-or-less handpick the curriculum and be as involved as I want to be, so my 9 year old (who would be absolutely lost in public school here) will be enrolled next year. And I'm thrilled!

We evaluate year by year. We are at the end of our second year but we are having to actually consider for next year for the first time because of financial reasons. I'm not thrilled with the idea but I'd be subbing in the same district they are in so I'd be around and on the same schedule they are on.

However, I feel homeschooling is the best and I would love nothing more than to homeschool all the way through, but sometimes God's plans are not my plans and I am open to what he asks of our family, it just means I have to live in a radical faith that God would protect their hearts and minds for the next year should they go.

To everything there is a season...(hopefully if we do have to put them in, the season will be VERY short) ;)

In between, I guess! I didn't pull my daughter out of public school til toward the end of third grade (we're at the end of fifth now) and the plan as of now is to homeschool at least through 8th grade and then re-evaluate what we want to do for the high school years.

We are somewhere in between.

I disagree with the state grade level expectations here, so neither of my elementary age students are "at grade level". (Whatever :rolleyes: )

However, they should be at or above grade level by 5th or 6th grade. DH and I pinky-swore and spit on it that the kids would not attend PS before 5th grade. He wants us to re-evaluate before middle school and again before high school.

I'd like to HS all the way through, but will keep an open mind and allow the kids input after we reach the 5th grade mark.

The first year was a "trial" year. After that, we were committed to going all the way through high school graduation. Keep in mind that we did not start homeschooling until our boys were going in to 7th and 10th grades.

This exactly, word for word.