Menu

Public school was good enough for me, it is good enough for my child

Have you ever had someone say that to you?

We just attended a party over the weekend and this guy kept saying it over and over again to DH and me. (We didn't even say that we homeschool, though we have for five years. He just put two and two together because we have a mutual friend that homeschools and he quickly realized that is how we knew the family.)

I have actually heard that comment more times than the "What about the socialization" question everyone always talks/laughs about.

I still don't understand that comment. In this case, it was coming from an 'older first time parent,' like myself. So he went to public school in the late '60s and early '70s - and he is comparing it to today's public school system?

I am always quick to pass the bean dip, as I don't discuss/debate homeschooling IRL.

But I was wondering if others have gotten this comment and what your take on the statement is.

Do you think it is valid to compare public schools from 25-40 years ago to schools today?

I do not think school from that long ago is comparable to today's schools for several reasons, safety and teaching methods being two reasons. Our society has changed significantly and the schools have changed with it. Besides, don't you want BETTER for your children than you experienced? I certainly do.

No. There was no such thing as political correctness back then. Principals and teachers were free to discipline unruly students, and parents supported the discipline. There were many older teachers who had been taught back in the old days and who brought their high standards into the classroom. High-aspiring students learned Latin and higher math, and lower-aspiring students learned shop and home ec (and there was no disgrace in this).

The man you spoke with probably hasn't kept up with the way schools have changed since he graduated. Or he may have had such a positive experience in school himself that he thinks all schools are still like his former school. He just doesn't know any better.

No, it's not a valid comparison. Both the culture and education have been on a downhill slide for the last several decades, imho.

If I was feeling very cranky and fiesty, I might say, "It wasn't good enough for me and it's certainly not good enough for my kids," and walk away. Most likely though, I too would just pass the bean dip.

Honestly, I was in college when I discovered that my grandparents had a better education than I was receiving at the university. They were very well read and understood economics, latin, science, and math on a fairly deep level. Pretty good for farmers who only had a high school education. They went through school in the 20's and 30's.

I'm sorry the man was behaving so rudely to you. People think they can say whatever they want these days. :grouphug:

Denise

I don't care if schools 20 or 30 or 40 years ago were awesome and schools now STINK. That isn't why I homeschool, because of the successes or failures of the public schools. I homeschool because I can guide my dc's learning in an individual way that no school setting can emulate.

Like you, I bean dip. I won't engage in a debate over it. (Ironically, the first time I heard it was out of my dh's mouth when I told him I wanted to homeschool! :lol: Boy, has he changed his tone over the last 8 years!)

Fwiw, I was a success out of the public school system; some excellent schools/teachers, some crappy schools/teachers. But that doesn't mean my dc can't have more, can't have it better. ;)

It's always a bit flabbergasting to me when other people feel they have to inject their opinions about OUR life. Thankfully, I am more respectful of their choices, and don't get into a discussion about it. I usually say "we love it and wouldn't change it for the world."

The "I did it, and I'm okay" argument makes me laugh though (and that goes for anything). As a kid, I never had a carseat or wore seatbelts (and I'm okay), yet our family uses carseats and seatbelts. Such a silly thing.

Of course in my case, I kind of hated my public school education. Many of my teachers were boring, mean, or just didn't care. So in that situation, if pushed hard, I might respond with "Oh gosh, I did it, and I'm NOT okay!"

No, I don't think it's fair to compare schools from 20-30 years ago to today's schools. I have a son who's 21 and I removed my 8 year old from the same school district this year to homeschool him. I don't even think we can compare schools from 10 years ago! I've watched the quality of public education decline and we live in a very well respected district.

I question whether public school really was "good enough for me" too. Only by homeschooling have I realized how dismal my education was in a good suburban district. I'm learning an amazing number of things in history, math and science by homeschooling my second grader.

When I hear things like this, I just say a friendly, "I'm glad you're happy with your child's school. It's always nice to hear good things about our neighborhood schools." Then change the subject. Or, the two times it was someone I have more than a casual relationship with, I asked, "What do you like about your child's school?" and let them talk.

My educational choice isn't any reflection on the choices of others, so I don't see any need to defend my choice, or criticize theirs, or really engage in any kind of discussion comparing the two.

But why is it (with me) almost always people I meet at the park? :confused: Seriously? I am a complete stranger. I was just sitting on the bench watching our kids play together when we struck up a conversation. I am a nice person who doesn't mention homeschooling until they ask where my kids go to school, and I don't feel the least bit superior over it, so why do they feel the need to justify themselves in that way?

(To be fair, most people respond with something like, "Oh wow. My friend/cousin/neighbor homeschools. I think it's great.")

Cat

When I hear things like this, I just say a friendly, "I'm glad you're happy with your child's school. It's always nice to hear good things about our neighborhood schools." Then change the subject. Or, the two times it was someone I have more than a casual relationship with, I asked, "What do you like about your child's school?" and let them talk.

My educational choice isn't any reflection on the choices of others, so I don't see any need to defend my choice, or criticize theirs, or really engage in any kind of discussion comparing the two.

:iagree:

I question whether public school really was "good enough for me" too. Only by homeschooling have I realized how dismal my education was in a good suburban district. I'm learning an amazing number of things in history, math and science by homeschooling my second grader.

I've actually gone through a period of grief of what could have been had I been educated better...and that was 20-30 years ago.

:iagree: they are just feeling the need to justify their decision. I don't think it is meant to be a jab at my choice and I think a snarky response only makes the tension worse. Some people automatically assume that we are judging them when we say we home educate. The best thing to do with this type of person is get them talking about themselves in a way that they feel like you agree that they have made the superior choice for their family.

:iagree: But she didn't mention her homeschooling choice; he just brought it up. I'd still attempt to be nice, but he'd need to quit repeating himself.

:iagree: they are just feeling the need to justify their decision. I don't think it is meant to be a jab at my choice and I think a snarky response only makes the tension worse. Some people automatically assume that we are judging them when we say we home educate. The best thing to do with this type of person is get them talking about themselves in a way that they feel like you agree that they have made the superior choice for their family.

We just attended a party over the weekend and this guy kept saying it over and over again to DH and me. (We didn't even say that we homeschool, though we have for five years. He just put two and two together because we have a mutual friend that homeschools and he quickly realized that is how we knew the family.)

I have actually heard that comment more times than the "What about the socialization" question everyone always talks/laughs about.

I still don't understand that comment. In this case, it was coming from an 'older first time parent,' like myself. So he went to public school in the late '60s and early '70s - and he is comparing it to today's public school system?

I am always quick to pass the bean dip, as I don't discuss/debate homeschooling IRL.

But I was wondering if others have gotten this comment and what your take on the statement is.

Do you think it is valid to compare public schools from 25-40 years ago to schools today?

I definitely don't think the 2 are comparable. Or, to look at it from another angle (even if they WERE comparable), lead based paint & asbestos flooring were "good enough" for him, too. Doesn't mean he should expose his kids to those things.

No, it's not a valid comparison. Both the culture and education have been on a downhill slide for the last several decades, imho.

If I was feeling very cranky and fiesty, I might say, "It wasn't good enough for me and it's certainly not good enough for my kids," and walk away. Most likely though, I too would just pass the bean dip.

Honestly, I was in college when I discovered that my grandparents had a better education than I was receiving at the university. They were very well read and understood economics, latin, science, and math on a fairly deep level. Pretty good for farmers who only had a high school education. They went through school in the 20's and 30's.

I'm sorry the man was behaving so rudely to you. People think they can say whatever they want these days. :grouphug:

Denise

I graduated HS in 2003. PS was NOT good enough for me. I pulled As & Bs while cultivating habits like skipping school & partying all the time.... It wasn't teaching me good life skills or a strong work ethic--the things I most need in my adult life.

Dh loved his public school experience, too. He most certainly thought that very thing. PS was good enough for him, it should be good enough for our kids. And, we moved into a GOOOOOOD school district. He's 52, so he went to school in the 60's and 70's.

Fast forward to ds1's experiences in K and 1st grade. Having to personally deal with the school made him change his mind. He then wanted to send the kids to private school. Then I showed him the tuitions of the private schools around here. It wasn't too long until homeschooling was sounding okay to dh.

School is not like it was when we old people were young. Some kids and parents do have good experiences with public school. Great. More power to them. I don't want to judge anyone else's experience. So, don't judge mine.

The fact that he was saying this was probably a reflection of him being uncomfortable around all you weirdo homeschoolers! :lol:

Could it be that he really hasn't analyzed what he is saying? Could it be that he thinks homeschoolers are providing a better education for their dc or that he atleast thinks homeschoolers think that and he is trying to somehow justify that since he turned out alright from the ps system that his dc will too? He might just be trying to make himself feel better about his choices. Just a thought.

I have a friend that takes every opportunity to tell me how incredible her dc are doing in ps...she never did that before I started homeschooling. She isn't doing it to try to make me feel like we are missing anything. She does it to make herself feel better about her decision not to homeschool.

I feel for ya!

I met my first anti-hs bully yesterday. I was at a church lunch and he asked where our kids go to school and I said we homeschool.

He asked "Well, how long are you going to do that? You can't do that forever or you'll mess them up, you know. They'll get to college and go crazy and you're just messing them up!"

I just smiled and then physically turned away and began a purposeful conversation with someone on the other side of the table.

I refuse to get into it. Not.worth.my.time.

Oh, and is it fair to compare the schools of 25-40 years ago with today's schools?

No.

I say this as someone who has subbed in several long-term sub jobs in public schools and taught in a private school overseas and is married to a teacher (public for 7 years, private for 3 1/2 years).

The classroom environment has changed. And while we don't homeschool exclusively for the reason of avoiding the flaws of the public education system... it certainly is a benefit!

The things my husband experiences and sees as a public school teacher make my jaw drop. No.way. am I putting my girls in that environment!

When I hear things like this, I just say a friendly, "I'm glad you're happy with your child's school. It's always nice to hear good things about our neighborhood schools."

Love this.

I actually think that schools today are doing quite a lot of things better than they were when I was a public school student back in the early Pleistocene, but I think I can do even better at home.

Absolutely not.

I've tended to get the feeling from people who I've heard make that comment that they're quite comfortable in the status quo, and either fairly ignorant on the current state of public education or in denial (or both). We all know how intimidating the prospect of taking on responsibility for our children's educations can be. Some have bit off on the notion that the government or the "experts" know best more than others, and it can seem like an actual impossiblity to those folks.

Besides the "socialization" question or the apathy response, the one I hate to hear the most is, "I could never homeschool my child. I'd go crazy!" That one breaks my heart.

The "I did it, and I'm okay" argument makes me laugh though (and that goes for anything). As a kid, I never had a carseat or wore seatbelts (and I'm okay), yet our family uses carseats and seatbelts. Such a silly thing.

That was my first thought. My mom actually used to say this to us about the car seats - we never used them and you survived. :glare: What a stupid argument.

Somehow homeschooling seems to threaten people. I've only been at this for a short time and I never say anything negative about the public schools because my kids were in private school until this year so I really have no personal experience with the schools in this area. Still I've had a couple encounters already where moms immediately feel the need to justify their choice to not homeschool as soon as I say that I do. I don't really gush about homeschooling or give people unwanted information. I merely state that that's what we're doing this year. Believe me, you don't have to justify not homeschooling to me. This is hard and we've been having some very frustrating days lately, and I totally and completely understand not wanting to deal with it. Really. No judgment at all. :)

I do not think school from that long ago is comparable to today's schools for several reasons, safety and teaching methods being two reasons. Our society has changed significantly and the schools have changed with it. Besides, don't you want BETTER for your children than you experienced? I certainly do.

:iagree: I actually had my *mailman* tell me I shouldn't homeschool for "You know, socialization." I said, "So...which of my children do you think are unsocialized?" (He had met them all and they were all friendly and helpful.) He realized what he had said and backtracked a bit and then proceeded to tell me that he felt that the schools should do the "three R's" and that we should do the rest (morality, etc.) I was shocked that he felt it was his place to tell me what to do with my children. I have avoided him ever since as have my children. It was offensive. I wouldn't dream of telling him that his seven children are in the "wrong place."

I am absolutely certain that people feel threatened by my choice and they get defensive even though I am only answering their questions! It never ceases to amaze me people feel comfortable telling me how I ought to parent my own.

Many people don't realize how poor their public school education actually was.

Ignorance is bliss.

Not that it was terrible for every single person. But usually people that give the comment about something being good enough , aren't extolling the virtues of said thing. More like basking in the mediocrity. ;)

Edited by Penelope

I just say, "Oh, that's great!"... If I can add something like, "I've heard many great things about X School" or "It really is such a beautiful building" or "They have such a nice music program" or whatever, then that's great.

The fact is, as many negatives as I see about public school generally and the local ones particularly, I don't home school *because* of that. We home school for positive reasons about home school, not negative ones about public school.

You can disarm people by simply agreeing and with a "that's nice" sort of attitude. I'm glad he had a positive school experience (whatever that was) and that he's happy with his kid's school experience (whatever that is). My home schooling isn't a judgment on him.

And pass the bean dip.

Well it wasn't good enough for me....pass the bean dip.

:iagree: I actually had my *mailman* tell me I shouldn't homeschool for "You know, socialization." I said, "So...which of my children do you think are unsocialized?" (He had met them all and they were all friendly and helpful.) He realized what he had said and backtracked a bit and then proceeded to tell me that he felt that the schools should do the "three R's" and that we should do the rest (morality, etc.) I was shocked that he felt it was his place to tell me what to do with my children. I have avoided him ever since as have my children. It was offensive. I wouldn't dream of telling him that his seven children are in the "wrong place."

I am absolutely certain that people feel threatened by my choice and they get defensive even though I am only answering their questions! It never ceases to amaze me people feel comfortable telling me how I ought to parent my own.

Did he throw in the "well, your children are different"? :lol: I used to get that a lot.

"Good for you and your child." Does this man go around saying this to everyone who has their child in private school too? It says nothing about YOUR choices.

:iagree:Pass the bean dip.

The man is clearly either stubborn, argumentative, or so out of touch with today's educational system. And likes to push your button. Not worth your time. :glare:

Did he throw in the "well, your children are different"? :lol: I used to get that a lot.

No! He was adamant that my children belonged in the PS! It was a little twilight zone moment for me because I have had, over the course of 11 years of homeschooling, only a handful of odd comments and an overwhelming amount of supportive ones.

What I would say in that situation is something along the lines of being glad I live at a time where parents have choices. If I had a reason to think that that comment was leading into a civil conversation where the speaker was genuinely interested in what motivated me to hs (which I don't based on your post) then here's where I would go:

"Good enough" isn't good enough for my children. I consider my K-12 ps experience to be a huge waste of time and of poor quality compared to the alternatives. I'm not looking for an education that is "good enough" for my children. I am looking for the best education I can possibly provide for my children-that's why we're Classical Homeschoolers. Between the high quality and outstanding track record of Classical Education and the maximum customization that comes with the tutorial model (which is not possible in an institutional setting of any kind) ps is simply not good enough for my children because I have different goals for and a different approach to education than ps.

Generally speaking, anyone petty and petulant enough to deny their children something of value because they themselves did not have it as children is a waste of time in a conversation. They have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Many people don't realize how poor their public school education actually was.

Ignorance is bliss.

Not that it was terrible for every single person. But usually people that give the comment about something being good enough , aren't extolling the virtues of said thing. More like basking in the mediocrity. ;)

:iagree: I did very well in eight years of public school (I was not really ever challenged though), but I'm only now learning what I didn't know/learn then. In addition, when I homeschooled in high-school, the options were different. There is so much more now!!! I'm am so excited of what I can give my children that I didn't have.

I don't think you can compare schools from one generation to another or from one district to another.

Guest momk2000

I went straight through the public school system and 4+ yrs of college. It wasn't until I began homeschooling that I realized the inferior education I received. I feel duped!

It was bad enough when I went through the system in the 70's & 80'S, I can only imagine what's going on in the system today.

What I would say in that situation is something along the lines of being glad I live at a time where parents have choices. If I had a reason to think that that comment was leading into a civil conversation where the speaker was genuinely interested in what motivated me to hs (which I don't based on your post) then here's where I would go:

"Good enough" isn't good enough for my children. I consider my K-12 ps experience to be a huge waste of time and of poor quality compared to the alternatives. I'm not looking for an education that is "good enough" for my children. I am looking for the best education I can possibly provide for my children-that's why we're Classical Homeschoolers. Between the high quality and outstanding track record of Classical Education and the maximum customization that comes with the tutorial model (which is not possible in an institutional setting of any kind) ps is simply not good enough for my children because I have different goals for and a different approach to education than ps.

Generally speaking, anyone petty and petulant enough to deny their children something of value because they themselves did not have it as children is a waste of time in a conversation. They have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Good enough isn't good enough for my children. I want the absolute best for them!

Without having read all the other posts, my usual response to this is, "I don't want good enough--I want the best I can possibly give them. Unfortunately, I don't have $60,000 a year for private school, so I do the next best thing--I teach them myself. They get an education tailored directly to their needs, the best curricula we can find, and tutors when necessary (and they haven't been yet)."

And that's all I'll say in defense of it :D