Menu

Would you be surprised if your teenager tried alcohol before age 21?

Would you be shocked or surprised if your underage teen tried alcohol?  

1. 1. Would you be shocked or surprised if your underage teen tried alcohol?

• Yes, I would be shocked and/or surprised.
    • No, I wouldn't be shocked and/or surprised.
    • Other.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not putting a lot of parameters on the question, because I'm not asking if your underage kid would try alcohol (or not), and I'm not assuming that good kids wouldn't and troubled kids would. -Just asking if you'd be surprised if they did. :bigear:

Well, both my kids had tried sips of beer, wine, and mead by the time they were 10.

I would be extremely surprised if my oldest went to a teen party and got drunk, because she has no patience for people who do that. But she does know I will pick her up anywhere, any time if she needs a ride home.

I would not be surprised if younger dd tries drinking at a party when she's an older teen. I will be keeping a close eye on her!

Yeah, I would be shocked if he tried alcohol before the age of 21. He is very rigid where rules are concerned. It's the aspie in him.:D He has a very strong idea in his mind that alcohol is bad and makes people stupid, although he sees us drinking wine with dinner a few times a week, so I would be surprised if he tries it before he is thirty. Also, he can't stand the smell of alcohol - it makes him gag.

:001_huh: there is a world of difference between enjoying A drink and wanting to be drunk.

The first is no different than enjoying anything in life. Chocolate, coffee, whatever.

The second, I'm with your son. I have never understood it either. I don't think I have ever felt the desire to drink like that.

:iagree: Growing up, in my family alcohol was forbidden fruit. I had a friend in high school whose parents allowed her the occasional glass of wine w/dinner never got drunk in our college days, whereas I did. I hope to teach my dc to enjoy but not abuse wine/beer when they are adults. My dh and I drink wine and beer and do so in front of our dc so it is not taboo or anything. They already know about drugs and alcohol and how they are dangerous so hopefully we are teaching them to be take care of their bodies and be responsible.

No, it wouldn't surprise me. I think alcohol is perceived as a "safe" drug in our society. My dh and I both come from long lines of alcoholics/drunks and began teaching our children the dangers of drinking (and drugs) at a very early age. We do drink but teach moderation and control. I would be a little sad if they started drinking early though. (I was 15 when I first tried beer.)

I'm surprised at the number of people who think their children would not try it because their religion forbids it. The biggest drunks at my college were those from families who forbid it due to religion. These kids didn't just drank, they got drunk several nights a week. Those of us who grew up with a little here and there were far less likely to be binging. Please note, this is just my experience, and I'm not saying it is this way everywhere.

Besides, a BIT of southern comfort+lemon+honey makes a great night cap for sick older kids/teens. Often more effective and I propose less hazardous than most OTC or RX options.

My tea-total mother gave that to us. I swore I would never drink after having a couple of ounces. I agree with it being more effective and less hazardous.

cat

Starting around 7 or 8, they have watered down wine every week (except the 4th Sunday - morning prayer) with Holy Eucharist.

We rarely, extremely rarely, drink, dh and I. But perhaps the next time I do have a drink, I will let the olders try it. ::think:: I grew up in Europe where it was quite common for teens to have wine or beer on occasion.

And no, I certainly wouldn't be shocked. I mean, teens try things and 21 is a silly (read - old) age for it to be legal. I believe it should be legal at 18 or all things else legal at 18 should be illegal until 21. Having the 2 ages is an odd disparity.

"Uncle Sam is drafting you and sending you off to a foreign land, possibly to die. No, you may not legally have a drink before you ship out." :001_huh:

We already give dd the odd half-glass of wine at home. I don't want her to think alcohol is some cool mystery that she can't wait to try out. We're taking the mystery out of it. She sees us drink responsibly and moderately and she's allowed to have small drinks now and then.

As to the drinking age - the legal age to buy alcohol is 19 here, but I'm legally allowed to serve my children alcohol in my house before they are 19.

The latest legal age that I know of in Canada is 19.

Would I be surprised if they tried before that? No. I honestly can't think of *anyone* I know irl that has waited until legal age.

In our province it's legal to allow your children to drink in your home, but you can't serve alcohol to other people's children.

Yes. But not because of religion, and not because we are totally against it. It is more of a self-discipline/self-control issue. We encourage our children to be disciplined and in control of their own behavior. We discourage them from drinking alcohol before 21 because that is the law. I love having a glass of wine with a meal, and now I enjoy having a glass with my 22 year old son and my 21 year old daughter as well, on occasion. They both waited until they were 21, and my son laughs about being the only young man in New York City who didn't have a glass of wine until he was 21.

Yes and no. Our kids will be taught not to drink alcohol in accordance with our religion, so I am hoping they would follow those teachings. However, people (even my perfect children ;)) are liable to make mistakes. So, surprised? Definitely. Shocked? No.

But at the same time, I hope and pray they never do, underage or not.

Well I'm reading the age as 18, since that is the legal age over here, but I'm not sure how to take "try". If you mean any amount of alcohol at all, well all my kids have actually tasted alcohol from when they were toddlers, but only mega-small quantities, as in I'd dip the tip of my little finger into my glass, shake the drop back off and let them lick it. My eldest, at 7 nearly 8, gets a tiny sip. By the time they are 17, I would not be surprised if they had the odd drink, and I would be comfortable with giving them small servings if we were drinking (which is very rarely), although we wouldn't really encourage it (if I had my way, they would abstain until age 25 which is when the brain is supposed to be fully developed). However I would be disappointed/concerned if they were actually going out and getting themselves drunk every weekend as some teens seem to. We've certainly made every effort to teach them about the dangers of alcohol, and will continue to do so, but we don't believe that prohibition would work on the micro level any more than it did on a large scale.

Edited by Hotdrink

I can't answer for my kid yet as he's nowhere near teen age. I hope he'll follow the law, even if I think 21 is a bit arbitrary, because I believe that as a Christian I should follow the law unless it contradicts God's Word.

I do know that my parents would have been shocked had I tried alcohol as a teen. This had less to do with the fact that they themselves abstain, and more to do with the fact that they knew my character and values well. When I was 13 my dad expressed to me that he didn't worry that I would experiment with alcohol or cigarettes, but was worried that my sister might. He was right.

I didn't try alcohol until I was 23 or so. In my circle of high school and college friends, I was never once offered alcohol. When I was 20, I spent a summer working at an amusement park and living in the dorms. When my coworkers found out that I had never had alcohol (the only one of the forty 17 to 25-year-olds I worked with) several of them decided to "bet" me that they would get me to try it before the summer ended:confused:. They lost.:)

After that summer, I sure didn't need to experiment to see what the excesses of alcohol can do! I got an up close free ticket to see the show. Let's see--

• I found a guy puking in the girls' bathroom.
  • I came home near midnight after work to find that my roommate had brought home a drunk 19-year-old guy who was "sleeping it off" in the extra bed. The police showed up shortly thereafter as he had apparently been seen urinating outside the dorm.
  • I dragged a 105 lb. coworker who had had 2 wine coolers, 5 shots of tequila, and who knows what else out of a party when it became obvious to me that one of the guys planned to take advantage of her. He was 6'5" and blocked our exit, saying I could leave but she was staying. First he did it in a teasing way, but then it became clear that he was very serious. I threatened to call 911 immediately and since he was over 21 he'd be busted for drinking at a party with minors. He let us leave after I argued with him for a few minutes. I think mostly he gave in because my other adult coworkers realized they'd be in trouble too if I called 911, so they finally stepped in to encourage him to back off.
  • A 19-year-old girl I knew drank herself into alcohol poisoning. She was being helped to the dorm but fell down a flight of stairs and laid on the ground repeating her last name over and over until the ambulance showed up.
  • etc.!

Edited by AndyJoy

Well, what about being very, very surprised if they DID NOT "try alcohol"...well before 21:D.

I'll let the cat out of the sac - we are French...any other explanation needed:lol:?

Wine, Champagne, and (to a much lesser extend!!) beer are part of our (family) culture.

We do not drink alcohol every day, but wine is a regular part of every bigger meal, every social meal, every restaurant visit.

Champagne is a sign of a festivity going on (and believe me, we use any excuse we get to declare a "festivity":lol:).

Children naturally grow into appreciating wine in a supervised, safe and guiding environment.

I certainly would NOT want my kid to "try alcohol" at their 21 years' birthday party...!!! (or the statistically more likely middle teen "sneak event"")

I had my first sip(!) of Champagne the evening of my first AF...and intend to suggest the same to our dds.

I was as honored by the gesture, as I was disgusted by the alcoholic taste, which I believe is very typical:tongue_smilie:.

This intro under parental guidance is, in my opinion, a much effective way to prevent abuse.

Btw, I have never, ever seen anything similar concerning alcohol abuse as I have experienced while being a student at a small, selective, christian college...in the US! ...and I cannot help but see a relationship with the way alcohol is first introduced (or not...) to many young people...:glare:

...okay, off to hide now...

Not at all.

Alcohol is not "bad."

I don't care if my kids have alcohol before they are 21. I think it is completely ridiculous that legal adults cannot legally purchase alcohol in this country.

I work in a beer/liquor store, and my husband is a homebrewer. Someday we hope to run a brewpub. Honestly I would be shocked if my kids didn't try alcohol before they turned 21. All three of them have already had tastes of various types of alcohol, but I am assuming by "trying alcohol" you mean in a situation away from us.

Tara

Since we offer the older teens a glass of champagne at holiday family meals, no. ;) It is how hubby, from an Irish/Italian/Polish family, was raised.

Hubby makes beer, and drinks one 12-oz bottle each night. We might make margaritas once or twice during the summer...I might spring for a six-pack of Mikes, too.

We try to demonstrate that alcohol has its time and place, and how to drink responsibly.

DS, now in college, will only take a small glass of champagne - he doesn't like the fuzzy-headedness of having more than that. (He also has had many migraines in the past - I have told him a hangover is like a migraine - head pounding, nausea - he sees no reason to risk one if he doesn't have to!)

Yes, honestly, I'd be very surprised. We are not a drinking family. I've never drank and neither has DH. My parents, aunts, uncles, sisters, and grandparents do not drink. We are not around drinking at all. I'm raising my children not to drink. I would be disappointed if they did before they are "of age." And I hope that they will choose not to do it afterwards.

Disappointed but not surprised.

Drinking alcohol is not a part of our family life nor is it encouraged in our faith. But I tried it when I was a teen and it's so readily available...I just wouldn't be surprised. However, if I found out, we would have a nice, long conversation as to why this is a very bad idea.

It would not surprise me. Actually, my kids have both already had a sip of wine (Start them on merlot! They HATE it!!! lol) and both of them promised to never drink again. :D

We have talked about alcohol already - why we drink it and where and when and why it can be bad for people. They have heard one sided conversations when DH discusses patient care related to alcohol abuse and it just makes them sad.

I have an easier time with alcohol than say, cocaine. I expect my kids to do some experimentation when college, maybe late high school comes around. But hard drugs? That one would surprise me.

:001_huh: there is a world of difference between enjoying A drink and wanting to be drunk.

The first is no different than enjoying anything in life. Chocolate, coffee, whatever.

The second, I'm with your son. I have never understood it either. I don't think I have ever felt the desire to drink like that.

Since we offer the older teens a glass of champagne at holiday family meals, no. ;)

Hubby .... drinks one 12-oz bottle each night. We might make margaritas once or twice during the summer...I might spring for a six-pack of Mikes, too.

We try to demonstrate that alcohol has its time and place, and how to drink responsibly.

DS, now in college, will only take a small glass of champagne - he doesn't like the fuzzy-headedness of having more than that. (He also has had many migraines in the past - I have told him a hangover is like a migraine - head pounding, nausea - he sees no reason to risk one if he doesn't have to!)

:iagree:

my guys have seen people DRUNK before...and how foolish those people look, and the loss of control of basic bodily functions, lol. They have no desire to go there.....

we don't drink daily, but yes, occasionally, and in TX it's legal to serve your children alcohol, even in public. Thank God for Texas. :)

Mine have all 'tasted' alcohol - we live in a country that allows drinking at a young age. It seems to be a social activity here - not a 'binge' thing.

Like others have said, I do not want it to be this thing they sneak around doing. I also do not want the teens knocking back a beer after a long day of high school LOL!:001_huh:

So, I opened the wikipedia article on legal drinking age last night to confirm that, when my parents let me have alcohol while we were visiting the UK, it was, in fact, legal. Which it was.

I forgot to close the tab. Right now I just looked at it and noticed that it said, "Children under 5 must not be given alcohol unless under medical supervision or in an emergency (Children and Young Persons Act 1933, Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 1937).[64][65]"

Now I'm trying to figure out in what sort of emergency giving alcohol to a child under 5 would be helpful.

Maybe if you were out somewhere where prompt medical attention wasn't an option, a bad injury occurred, and alcohol was the best option available for painkilling?

Or for water purification if a better option wasn't available?

Any other ideas?

In what scenario would it be the ideal treatment when the child is otherwise under medical supervision?

I would be very surprised if ds did. Mostly because currently ds (who will turn 14 tomorrow) has very strong opinions on the subject from several different perspectives, and he is not one to change his mind about things once it's made up. (Which is sometimes rather aggravating, but in this case I'm good with it.) It would very likely take a LOT to change his mind on ALL the different angles he's mentioned to me, and it would surprise me very much.

Dd, on the other hand, would be less of a surprise. She is only 8 at present and it's hard to know for sure what her future holds. Right now she has very strong religious convictions (surprisingly so to me, for one so young) that I think would keep her off that track as she grows up if she maintains them (and I hope she does--I am truly humbled by that child's faith). But she also tends to be very easily influenced by her friends, one of whom I could see heading down the rebel teen road in a few years. But maybe not. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by MamaSheep

I hope he'll follow the law, even if I think 21 is a bit arbitrary, because I believe that as a Christian I should follow the law unless it contradicts God's Word.

Yep. I think they wouldn't do it just for that reason. My 13 and 15 yo both have pretty strong convictions about following the law, as well as a deep understanding of our family history of alcoholism. Dh and I made the choice to stop drinking any alcohol 6 or 7 years ago, after much careful thought (not that we got drunk, but we would drink a few drinks mnothly or so at events,) and so our dc have seen us make that choice. This has been duscussed in our home a lot. We have talked about the fact that they will get to make that choice for their household when they are older, and that alcohol use is fine for many people without a background of alcoholism to consume as a food item (wine with dinner, etc.) But no, I can't see them drinking before 21.

Anwyay, I voted that I would be surprised.

I'd be shocked if they didn't. I come from a very relaxed family background regarding alcohol (I was always offered a half glass of wine as a teenager when there was wine), and grew up in a province in which the legal drinking age is 19. Personally, I think setting the legal drinking age at 21 is asinine -- 18 or 19 makes more sense to me.

:iagree: Heck, my kids have tried blueberry wine with us before. Just a sip, but we preach moderation.

Can I just add, for those families who don't want their kids to drink, do not rely on the taste of alcohol putting them off. Many people told us "Oh, just let them have a bit of red wine / beer /whiskey(!) and they'll hate it and not want any more for years". All of my children have liked every drink they've tasted and promptly asked for (though not got) more. :001_huh:

I'm surprised at the number of people who think their children would not try it because their religion forbids it. The biggest drunks at my college were those from families who forbid it due to religion. These kids didn't just drank, they got drunk several nights a week. Those of us who grew up with a little here and there were far less likely to be binging. Please note, this is just my experience, and I'm not saying it is this way everywhere.

:iagree: As a child from a religous abstainance family, I went to parties full of drunk teens from my church. Most had no idea how to handle alcohol or what a safe limit for them was, that included me. For this reason I have been adamant that the children will be introduced to alcohol a little at a time, so that they do not see it as forbidden, and understand it's effects.

Well I'm reading the age as 18, since that is the legal age over here, but I'm not sure how to take "try". If you mean any amount of alcohol at all, well all my kids have actually tasted alcohol from when they were toddlers, but only mega-small quantities, as in I'd dip the tip of my little finger into my glass, shake the drop back off and let them lick it. My eldest, at 7 nearly 8, gets a tiny sip. By the time they are 17, I would not be surprised if they had the odd drink, and I would be comfortable with giving them small servings if we were drinking (which is very rarely), although we wouldn't really encourage it (if I had my way, they would abstain until age 25 which is when the brain is supposed to be fully developed). However I would be disappointed/concerned if they were actually going out and getting themselves drunk every weekend as some teens seem to. We've certainly made every effort to teach them about the dangers of alcohol, and will continue to do so, but we don't believe that prohibition would work on the micro level any more than it did on a large scale.

:iagree:

As far as I know the legal drinking age in New Orleans is 18 and everywhere else in the US it is 21. I do think it is legal in some if not all states for parents to give their children alcohol in their own homes.

I voted not surprised. I grew up allowed to have a little wine now and then. I can even remember my grandmother would like to drink 1 can of beer while she mowed grass. She usually left me a couple of sips in the can when she finished her break. (I was probably 5 or 6.)

My dh went through a rough time with alcohol when he was in college. There were major issues going on in his life at the time that he didn't know how to deal with. That has been 20 years ago. Since then he can have a drink or 2 every now and then and it has never been a problem.

We both have the opinion that it is important to be ready to deal with anything that can happen. That means not drinking much at any given time.

Oh yeah, I have never done any sort of drugs.

As far as I know the legal drinking age in New Orleans is 18 and everywhere else in the US it is 21. I do think it is legal in some if not all states for parents to give their children alcohol in their own homes.

No, it is 21 here in New Orleans as well. At one time, Louisiana was the only state which lowered the age back to 18, but the federal 'incentives' for having it at 21 are very strong, and it was raised again.

In practice, it is definitely one of the easier areas to drink in from 18 to 21. Many bars have an "18 to enter, 21 to drink" rule, and you can imagine how well that works :rolleyes:

Parents are allowed to purchase alcohol for their underage offspring to consume in their presence, either at a public location or at their residence. It is up to the discretion of the restaurant/whatever to do so or not, but most are fine with it.

And yes, we really do have drive-thru daquiri shops.

I forgot to close the tab. Right now I just looked at it and noticed that it said, "Children under 5 must not be given alcohol unless under medical supervision or in an emergency (Children and Young Persons Act 1933, Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 1937).[64][65]"

Now I'm trying to figure out in what sort of emergency giving alcohol to a child under 5 would be helpful.

I read about someone drinking something toxic and being given alcohol (ethyl, the sort one can drink). I think it may have been methyl alcohol.

I found this paper about methyl alcohol poisoning that sounds along the lines of what I was thinking.

I think if you can be trained for war, training for drinking shouldn't be so hard. Communion would be a sip.... visiting Italy I said that they could try it... (and Israel, too) It's not a big deal to me. I think that making it a "right of passage" has backfired!!! I'd rather them try it with me around, rather than all the hype with their friends. I want to make sure they understand what addiction is, and how they can avoid it.... (so, I'm VERY against drinking to get drunk)