Menu

Where do you find MODEST but fashionable clothes for your teen daughters?

Dd turned 13 yesterday and we were going to get her a few outfits. Ummm nope didn't happen. I could NOT believe some of the "clothes" they have for teen girls. I was flabbergasted, literally. Dh kept saying "they forgot the top of that shirt :blink:, they forgot the bottom of those shorts -:scared: or are they underwear :confused:"

Its insane. Its disgusting and its just plain wrong :banghead: :cursing:

Shopping for teens takes time and energy. :D She needs to try everything on and be prepared to take nothing home. :( But it is possible. If she fits in ladies clothing try TJMax and skip the juniors. Check Lands End and LLBean. Don't give up!

Where did you go? I have no issue finding clothes for dd13. She doesn't really do shorts so no worries there and regular tshirts are usually not hard to come by. She shops at all the same places other teens do and the only thing is we have to test the jeans so to speak. Try them on and do the bend over test. Sorry you having such a hard time. Hope you find something.

My 15 yo dd shops in the women's (not junior) section of Kohl's. She also finds things at Old Navy. She and I wear very similar clothing. I make sure that she has plenty of Old Navy tanks to layer under tops which are too low cut, so she can be modest. I also get her legggings to wear under dresses which are slightly above the knee length. If she finds something in the junior's section, it typically needs a tank underneath. She likes jean jackets from Old Navy and skirts with leggings underneath. Layers seem to work well for her.

Think cute, funky layers, a la Selina Gomez on Wizards of Waverly Place.

I like that and we are going to start working on that!

Where did you go?

We live in a tiny town that has just a Pamida. We are going to go to the "bigger" city soon and look there, thats why I am looking for suggestions. It seems everything is form fitting and she refuses to wear that. We looked at an Extra Large that I think would be skin tight on my 9 year old :blink: Dd is not at all fat, not chunky in the least- and it just starting to develop and if we are having these problems now what is it going to be like in a few months??? :confused:

:bigear:

I know my time will come. It's bad enough what they put out there for 6-8 yos!

Its scary isn't it?!?!?!?!?!?!? Might as well show them off as *e* objects at a young age :cursing: :scared: :glare: I mean padded bikini tops for 8 year olds? :cursing: :glare:

My 15 yo dd shops in the women's (not junior) section of Kohl's. She also finds things at Old Navy. She and I wear very similar clothing. I make sure that she has plenty of Old Navy tanks to layer under tops which are too low cut, so she can be modest. I also get her legggings to wear under dresses which are slightly above the knee length. If she finds something in the junior's section, it typically needs a tank underneath. She likes jean jackets from Old Navy and skirts with leggings underneath. Layers seem to work well for her.

Dd likes skirts with leggings and jean jackets also... We have a couple tank tops and cami's but I guess its time to get her more!

Try Lands End. They have lots of t-shirts that actually cover the belly and capris and jeans that aren't hip huggers.

If she can fit into a misses XS they have cute skirts and dresses too.

You'll pay a little more but they are very good quality and last a long time. They have great sale prices on their overstock pages too.

I buy my VERY fashionable dd11 clothing basically everywhere. I have white, grey and black tank tops with very thin straps (and those little built in bras) that she wears under the tops that are too low cut. It adds an extra flair and looks very nice. During the cooler months, she's a HUGE scarf fan and we still use the tank tops but still cover them further with the scarves.

Short shorts - NO WAY. Thankfully dd is SO tall and her favorite shorts are bermuda shorts. We have bought many Bermudas and capris all over the place.

The only thing I really wish she didn't have to wear are the skinny jeans. Still, they look NICE on her but not nice on many teens. She is so rail thin that the ultra skinny jeans are a little baggy on her everywhere and fit like normal jeans.

If you're not looking to layer I admit it's going to be tough. Dh has to wear a tank top under just about everything, especially now that she's wearing junior clothing. She needs the juniors for the length.

My daughters are very modest (moreso than I, I think). They tend towards capris and polos in summer, with LL Bean bathing suits. My youngest dd loves peasant skirts with knit legging (at, or past the knee in summer, to the calves in winter). Old Navy has boatloads of capris, and Target has super-cheap leggings of all lengths.

My youngest dd is currently wearing a Gap polo, & a peasant skirt w/ longish white bike shorts. She has two long braids and looks so sweet. :) My 18 yr old is wearing cargo carpris with a polo shirt. (Both from American Eagle, not that she cares.)

Edited by LibraryLover

I always see Old Navy recommended. Y'all must have a different Old Navy from what I have. Mine is pretty trashy.

Sears is actually a pretty good place to shop. My girls all like the Ransom Girl brand of t-shirts.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_12605_Clothing_Juniors?sbf=Brand&sbv=Ransom

My oldest and youngest have done well with the So brand of pants at Kohl's in the junior section. My middle dd has done better with elastic waistband pants in the women's section of Sears (she has fine motor delays that make buttons, snaps, and zipper difficult).

Every Old Navy Ive ever been in, (CA, MA, FL etc) has capris and polos. These may not be conservative enough for some, but carpis and polos work for us. :) I think if such items are not enough, you might want to check LL Bean & Land's End (where one can also find conservative skirts), or websites specifically for 'conservative' dress. Several modest fashion sites comes up when I Google 'conservative modest summer clothing for girls'. Title Nine has a couple of wonderful longer skirts. Spendy, but fashionable. Fresh Produce might be a place to check as well. They currently have a cute knit calf-length skirt in two colors (blue-ish and black in a sublte floral pattern).

I admit that most of these sites are $$, but there are many!

I always see Old Navy recommended. Y'all must have a different Old Navy from what I have. Mine is pretty trashy.

Sears is actually a pretty good place to shop. My girls all like the Ransom Girl brand of t-shirts.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_12605_Clothing_Juniors?sbf=Brand&sbv=Ransom

My oldest and youngest have done well with the So brand of pants at Kohl's in the junior section. My middle dd has done better with elastic waistband pants in the women's section of Sears (she has fine motor delays that make buttons, snaps, and zipper difficult).

Edited by LibraryLover

It is tough, but got better once I figured out that we could layer to get the outer shirts she wanted and still be modest with an inner shirt. She's cold-natured anyway, so this works.

Thankfully we have friends with older daughters with similar taste who pass things down occasionally, and that helps too. ;)

Dd likes skirts with leggings and jean jackets also... We have a couple tank tops and cami's but I guess its time to get her more!

Yes, I think having lots of tanks/camis and leggings will help a lot to balance the styles.

I think the undershirt style tanks tend to be longer and thinner so they are good under another thinner t-shirt. The camis have more spandex and are good under v-necks.

Get camis, leggings and some "tissue" tees to put under anything that's too showy. We did this with dd -- she has lots of skimpier tops that were worn with an extra layer to cover more.

Target has lots of colors of tees and camis at affordable prices, and the extra benefit of wearing things layered is that any outfit can look new with a different color tights/leggings or liner tee. :)

HIH,

Lisa

Another vote for layering! Leggings under shorter skirts is "in" right now and a great way to cover up. Camis and tank tops go under just about everything.

For dresses we've had to go to womens. Our last trip for church dresses she tried on 10 and got 2. It's hard because she is not big up top yet, but womens have seams for the bustline. Any dress she would pick up with those seams she would hold up and say "Breasts not included!" :lol:

I like Old Navy and Kohls, and the junior's section is terrible I know! But for low cut tops, I wear a higher tink top underneath to make it look like a regular top instead of a low cut one. You kind of have to get creative with the clothes sometimes, but I have really nice things now that I can turn them into modest clothing.:)

:lurk5:

Taking it all in... as my two will be in this age/stage before I know it!!

And I too have been flabbergasted with some of the clothing for my little girls. When they develop, it will get even harder and my husband may not make it. He hyperventilates if we just walk past the girls' bras in Walmart... :lol:

We love Gap, but it isn't easy on the bank account. We shop the sale and clearance items and get cute shorts that are longer than their undies, lots of adorable t-shirts, cute sundresses, etc.

We also shop Target and Macy's a lot.

DD will soon be out of the little girl clothes. I have had problems in the past with them too. I have found that for here Target has some great things. I also(gasp) buy boy jeans/pants/shorts/etc for her. She says they are so much more comfortable, they wear better and many times are less expensive. Plus when she out grows them her brother gets them.:D Silly but they both like that.:lol:

I have also been able to get some cute things for her at Sears. I DON'T purchase pants there for either of them though as they simply don't last. They are much more expensive also.

Let me know when you are planning on going to the 'bigger' town.:001_smile: I will try to have a box for you.

We like the long t-shirts and tanks at Old Navy. Some of their styles are lower-cut in front but others aren't. We have lots of cheap basic tanks -- navy, white, black, gray -- and the girls wear them under any shirt or blouse that is low-cut.

Lands End is a good place to shop for cute but more conservative clothing. If you get on their email list, they have sales (promotion codes) all the time -- 30% off, etc. Or check their overstocks site.

Dd turned 13 yesterday and we were going to get her a few outfits. Ummm nope didn't happen. I could NOT believe some of the "clothes" they have for teen girls. I was flabbergasted, literally. Dh kept saying "they forgot the top of that shirt :blink:, they forgot the bottom of those shorts -:scared: or are they underwear :confused:"

Its insane. Its disgusting and its just plain wrong :banghead: :cursing:

I have a very hard time finding things they will wear and that I will approve of. I've given up on jeans that actually come close to their actual waist. :) They have to wear shirts long enough to cover their flesh. No flesh on their mid-section is allowed to show. Often it's not that I find modest clothes, it's that they have to wear something under those clothes. My girls have lots of camis and tanks that go under regular clothes.

Also check out this site. This particular page has stuff to wear under clothes that are not as modest as you would like.

Shopping for teens takes time and energy. :D She needs to try everything on and be prepared to take nothing home. :( But it is possible. If she fits in ladies clothing try TJMax and skip the juniors. Check Lands End and LLBean. Don't give up!

:iagree::iagree:

:lurk5:

Taking it all in... as my two will be in this age/stage before I know it!!

And I too have been flabbergasted with some of the clothing for my little girls. When they develop, it will get even harder and my husband may not make it. He hyperventilates if we just walk past the girls' bras in Walmart... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Let me know when you are planning on going to the 'bigger' town.:001_smile: I will try to have a box for you.

I will :001_smile: We *might* have found a van... :D

:iagree: We also do Talbot's Petites, there is still some Naarjtie that DD12 fits in, Plato's Closet, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Lands End, J Jill. We are fortunate in that there is no shortage of places here to shop -- so we can leave with nothing and still have a list of other places we can try another day.

Edited by MariannNOVA

When I take dd13 out shopping, we plan to be gone several hours just because we have to sift through everything in each store to find the good stuff. We shop mainly at Kohl's and JC Penney, but we find acceptable things nearly everywhere. My biggest no-no is clothing that has words written on the rear-end or the chest. All it does it draw eyes to areas I'd rather not have people looking directly at.

Dd13 is a bigger size than dd18 and finding clothing for not-skinny girls is really challenging. Dd13 hates form fitting clothing hugging her body. She prefers full tshirts or nice button down shirts that do not require multiple layers to prevent see-through. However, she does have a few of those items and wears them tastefully.

Do you know how difficult it is to find a bra that has a large band size but A-cup chest size? Egads!

Are you getting your tanks from Old Navy? We have some of the rib ones, but they are a bit thin and so we wear a couple of them together. And, we prefer the smooth knit. Even wearing them together, they're a bit low. I'd love to find some tanks that are a little weightier, have a bit of stretch, are not so low, but do have spaghetti straps. Any great finds for tanks?

I don't dictate to the 18yo anymore but she is naturally modest. We don't do writing or pop-culture pictures on clothing. My 12 yo wears cammi's under most shirts to avoid the low neckline problem. Skirts usually require tights or leggings underneath unless they come mid calf because I know my girl and she'll be playing football before the day's over and that in a skirt is not a pretty picture.

Are you getting your tanks from Old Navy? We have some of the rib ones, but they are a bit thin and so we wear a couple of them together. And, we prefer the smooth knit. Even wearing them together, they're a bit low. I'd love to find some tanks that are a little weightier, have a bit of stretch, are not so low, but do have spaghetti straps. Any great finds for tanks?

Try stores that cater to women in business (Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Loft, Banana Republic) many times the tanks aren't any more expensive than the "teen" stores and they are cut more conservatively as they are designed to be worn by adults in a business environment (many also have cute details like lace trim at the neckline). I have also found they are generally thicker and have a bit more stretch so they gap less at the neckline when you bend over (and an xs petite will be around the a kids 10 or 12).

Try stores that cater to women in business (Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Loft, Banana Republic) many times the tanks aren't any more expensive than the "teen" stores and they are cut more conservatively as they are designed to be worn by adults in a business environment (many also have cute details like lace trim at the neckline). I have also found they are generally thicker and have a bit more stretch so they gap less at the neckline when you bend over (and an xs petite will be around the a kids 10 or 12).

Great tip! Thanks!

My girls also wear misses "career wear" type items: New York & Company, Land's End, Banana Republic (if there is a good sale), etc. Penney's, Sears, and Kohls also sometimes have nice pants. New York & Company has wonderful thick tank tops that they wear under lower cut blouses and sweaters.

They really like the "city" style pants and button down blouses. You can't go wrong there. And we hit Old Navy for jeans (they make one style of normal, non-slinky jeans) and t-shirts for casual days.

This topic gives me headaches. My DD is only 2 right now... By the time she's 12, I'll have to sew all of her clothes myself if I ever want DH to let her out of the house...

ETA: Slightly OT, but have you seen the detergent commercial where the dad tries to ruin the girl's miniskirt by rubbing (what I assume to be) oil on it as it's drying and stuffing it in the bottom of the laundry basket? Then mom cleans the skirt & it shows her praising DD's "look," while dad looks on obviously upset but completely ignored. That one really p*ssed me off. I don't want my DC to think that they can circumvent 1 parent's opinion or rule by going to the other...

Edited by KristinaBreece

My girls buy a lot of their clothes at thrift stores and Plato's closet and find a pretty easy time finding modest clothing. Plus they layer a lot on top of that. They always look pretty fashionable.

We have also found pretty modest clothing at Target, Kohl's, Old Navy, JC Penney's, Land's End and even some decent jeans and polos/tees at places like American Eagle, Abercrombie, and Hollister.

They are all getting their swimsuits from Lands End this year. Their choice. By the way, most of the padding I have seen in girls' swimsuits is more in the way of modesty pads than push up padding. My girls' ones are removeable and they won't wear them without the pads and then they wear a cover-up over that.

Edited by KidsHappen

The teen fashion blog "Suddenly Darling" offers ideas on conservative, fashionable clothing. DD has taken quite a few ideas from it.

Overall, that's a cute site, but I am still surprised that a few outfits made the cut as "modest." A little short, perhaps?.

My dd seems to understand coverage, but tightness is completely lost on her. I bought her a pair of jeggings, with guidelines on what shirts she could wear with them. Twice she tried to walk out with a way-too-short shirt on, so I took them away. Sigh.

Overall, that's a cute site, but I am still surprised that a few outfits made the cut as "modest." A little short, perhaps?.

Yes, I agree they are on the "short" side. However, one of their ideas we've utilized this winter was the layering of a neutral/black colored skirt under the pretty, but oh so short, dresses that are popular. That with colored tights did help. I've also sewn about 3 inches of lace to spring/summer dresses and DD has worn a longer slip underneath. Can you tell our issues are with length? DD has longer legs than torso.

I know your post was actually requesting ideas of "where" to shop, but I know that so much of the time even the stores we like are hit or miss! Good luck, it's a challenging, but admirable endeavor.