Menu

How much TV do your kids watch?

In the mornings I allow them to choose one show each (the shows are about 20 minutes long, so that's 40 minutes of TV) while they drink their chocolate milk.

If I choose to add in an educational television program, that's extra. But we don't even do that once a week, so it's not usually much.

However, since having morning sickness for the past month, they've watched a LOT more TV than that. It's temporary though.

Not very much. Many weekdays, they don't watch any at all. We usually have it on in the afternoons on the weekends if we're home and will watch Food Network or HGTV. Sometimes during the week, they'll watch something on Netflix, but not regularly.

Quite a bit, I think.

Though we don't generally turn the TV on until 4 or 5pm, there are a few shows they try to catch regularly. Currently they tune in for Cash Cab, Jeopardy, America's Funniest Home Videos, and the most recent obsession, Sons of Guns.

We also watch the televised games for the MLS team my husband works for, as well as 'away games' for the football team (we're at the stadium for the home games).

"Littles" (age 6 and under) get one 30-minute video/day.

Older dc are allowed to watch a 30-minute video during their exercise time.

Other than that we have an occasional movie night on Friday but those are few and far between.

Thankfully we don't have regular TV so I don't have to battle them (or more likely myself)

Unlimited. But we don't find much we care for to be honest. Ds14 and I just went through a Ghost Adventures phase. We watched a couple of episodes every night from Netflix. We've had so much fun!! And now all we've got are the new episodes that air on Friday nights. We need a new show to get hooked on.

1 show in the afternoon, either a Diego, Leapfrog, or Barney. At the end of the week and on the weekends, my olders might watch a documentary about what we've studied that week. My oldest 2 get 1/2 an hour of computer time, in addition to that, and my 4 year old does Funnix on the computer, but that's all the screentime we have.

None, normally. During the week they get no screen time. This week we've been watching Henry V in 1/2 hour -1 hour increments. But normally? None. If I let them, especially the little guy have any at all, that is all he wants to do.

Now on the weekend? We normally have one Wii game night when we all play rockband or something. Then the boys are allowed to play for maybe two more hours on Saturday or Sunday, but not both. If it is football season, we will watch that if there is a game on that they are interested in.

I found that dealing with the squabbles over what to watch, how much to watch, etc... weren't worth it in the long run. Now that they don't watch during the week, we have almost no fights over what to play/watch on the weekend.

They just finished watching 1 1/2 hours of TV. I needed a nap. :)

Seriously, a couple hours in the winter on a stay-at-home day, broken up into 3 segments.

Shows they watch currently: Jake and the Neverland Pirates, the new Babar (forget its exact name), Martha Speaks, and Chuggington. They also love to watch Bobby Flay Throwdowns on the Food Network a couple times a week before bedtime.

In the summer, they watch almost nothing. I have no idea if this evens out or not.

We have a "card" system.... it's on a poster board with pockets for the used and not used cards.

Each card is an index card that says 30 minutes.

They are issued 10 cards at the beginning of each week. They can use them for computer, tv, or wii It's a total of 5 hours. If they want to watch an educational show without a card, they have to ask, then they watch it and take notes or write a summary in their "TV journal", which is just a spiral notebook.

Works for us and saves on arguing.

Sandra

Mine each pic a show to watch during breakfast (I need the peace in the morning!), so 2 20-30 min shows. Dd usually watches 15-30 minutes during her snack break in the afternoon. If dh is home, the TV is on, but they aren't really watching it as they have not come to appreciate Sportscenter.:tongue_smilie: Plus maybe 1 or 2 movies a month.

Our TV usage ebbs and flows. Winter=more TV, Spring/Summer/Fall= less TV.

Some days they won't watch anything or play computer, other days it's more.

If I start to hear a lot of "but, Mom, can't I *please* go play now...aren't we done *yet*?!" and see obsessive compulsion for the computer/TV (especially from DS9) then I set limits. If that calms down and they can be reasonable about it and set their own limits, then I don't keep as much of a watch on it.

My son watches more than makes me happy. But, sadly, my husband isn't a great role model on that front.

We don't turn it on during the day Monday through Friday, unless it's something educational (maybe once a week). My son has classes and activities most afternoons running until 6:30 or 7:00. Usually, by the time I bring him home, my husband has Jeopardy running.

After that, we often watch an hour or two together of recorded things from the DVR or a movie on DVD.

My son watches an hour or so some Saturday mornings, if he's up early enough. Currently, he has rehearsals running from 10:00 until 6:00 or so on Saturdays. So, there's not a lot of watching time available during the day. Again, we often watch a movie or something together in the evenings.

He also might watch a couple of hours on Sunday afternoons, between youth group at church and dinner, if there's nothing better to do. Sometimes, he and my husband will play something on the Wii during that time, instead. Or, if there's anyone around in the neighborhood, he might go outside.

All told, it's probably an average of two or a little more hours a day, which is way too much. But it's a battle I've decided not to fight.

We don't have cable or anything. They watch some things on Netflix but usually just movies. They watch a little tv at their grandparent's house on Friday nights and Saturday morning. As for other "screen time" they play on the computer maybe once a week for about an hour, but they play Wii on almost a daily basis unless they're grounded from it. They get grounded often because they have a mean cruel mother who likes it when they are miserable. :001_rolleyes:

No t.v. We do not have cable and the only station we can see is PBS, but we don't watch it unless there is a presidential election! We do have a family movie night a couple of times a month. At times we will watch things that have educational value, like Ken Burns' Civil War series or Liberty's Kids, but there hasn't been much of that this year. No Netflix here. I will buy DVDs that I think we'll watch a lot; otherwise we get them at the library. For the most part we all choose to read instead of watch.

My ds doesn't like TV. Yes, my child, amazing. Now he doesn't have real limits on Xbox and computer. He'd rather being something than passively watching commercials, oh I mean TV. Now if we could get dh to break the habit. :lol:

We do watch some Netflix, but after we read Fahrenheit 451 he quit watching TV simply for entertainment. :D

No limits here. We're all TV lovers. As long as they do things when asked and don't give me trouble when we're working on school they are free to have TV whenever they have free time. We have a TV in each bedroom, both playrooms and the living room. All the TVs also have a DVD or Blu-ray player and two of them have a Wii.

My kids are very good about self regulating. They go through spurts of watching a lot, and then have days like yesterday where they will be hold up in the playroom upstairs with a giant playmobil setup and never even think to turn the TV in the room on.

We all hate commercials too much for most regular TV (But my husband and I love CBS Sunday Morning and Fox Sunday Evening cartoons!), and the kids do have a few PBS faves. We don't have cable. That being said, we do watch a lot of movies/documentaries/nature programs etc. that we borrow from the library and I am SURE we log FAR too much screen time. I am too embarrassed to add it all up and share!:tongue_smilie:

It varies. We don't have regular tv so the kids are asking to watch a dvd.

1. They'll watch a DVD if I've assigned it for school (science, Times Tales, Drive Thru History, etc). I rarely do this more than once a week.

2. We tend to watch a movie on Friday nights as a family.

3. If the weather is terrible (too hot, bad air quality) then I may allow them to watch a bit in the afternoon since they can't go outside.

They don't use the computer and have no video games. I'd say they have less than 3 hours a week of screen time UNLESS someone is sick (then all bets are off).

My 2 and a half year old is allowed one movie every other day. She always chooses either Wall-e or The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Sometimes we'll let her watch another show, but that's usually only if we are very busy and need a free "babysitter" to keep her out of our hair (like when daddy is studying or mommy is doing an un-baby-safe project or when we come home from church early because she has a runny nose and they won't let kids in the nursery with a runny nose and she is very sad because she loves nursery.

So: 2 hours every other day of DVD, no television, and the occasional Mythbusters off Netflix streaming because it is so adorable to hear a 2 year old ask to watch "miss-bussers please."

Educational and non educational

We don't have cable/satellite anymore, but we watch Netflix or Apple TV almost every night. Normally, two episodes of Star Trek on Netflix, or maybe Kitchen Nightmares on Apple. It takes about 80 minutes to watch 2 episodes, so I guess that's how much they watch. TV is never on before 6:30 or 7 - not because I forbid it, but I just never turn it on and so they don't think to ask.

We have Wii but nobody plays it; we don't have any other video game programs. Well, except Angry Birds, but that's on my phone & dh's iPad... ;)

Too much for me to admit to (if we're including computer and games), and definitely too much for me to read the other responses in this thread. I know you're out there, the ones who's kids NEVER watch TV! I can't take the guilt of seeing how much better you are than me!

Well, when I was pregnant and wanting to nap all the time, Pigby was logging waaaaay too much TV (like all day. I know *slap on the hand* bad me!) Because I am too easily addicted to the thing and because I hate that thing so much (I got sick of him asking for EVERYTHING: Febreze, Swiffer, Jif, Pillow Pets) I agreed to let DH put a Poison Dart Frog tank on the TV cabinet and the TV has been unplugged and moved to the corner of the room. It usually comes out twice a week after the kids have gone to bed. Other than that, Pigby occasionally gets a little time on the computer, maybe less than 3 hours a week. But even that I'm going to cut back on because I can't always monitor him and I really don't want him exposed to...well you know. Plus, when he does get to use it occasionally, he whines ALL. THE. TIME. when he's not on it. I think it will be easier in the long run for him to get used to something else.

"Littles" (age 6 and under) get one 30-minute video/day.

Older dc are allowed to watch a 30-minute video during their exercise time.

Other than that we have an occasional movie night on Friday but those are few and far between.

Thankfully we don't have regular TV so I don't have to battle them (or more likely myself)

We have no tv reception. They sometimes watch a video for school. Other than that, we normally watch one 2 hour video after supper, most days. Sometimes a little more generous under special circumstances.

I have one major glitch in this. We go to my grandmother's Thursday-Friday or Saturday. We do so for DD14's Tae Kwon Do classes and Friday hs co-op. We stay at least one night at Granny's and she has cable. We have argued and discussed at various times about the excessive tv while there, but my mom wanted me to drop it because Granny is old and she doesn't have the grapes to do anything to make the girls unhappy:tongue_smilie:Like to tell them to turn off the silly yellow sponge! Actually, Spongebob I don't mind. ICarly and Cartoon network are no-nos though. I still groan if I catch Granny not telling them to change the channel from CN when I come in from taking sis to TKD. Sheesh. Seriously, it does seem to affect their behavior. But my mom wants me to drop it, so we may have to go to a "no overnighters" rule instead-just drop-ins. No one's gonna like that either and so I'm the bad guy as usual.:glare:

This is what happens when you live in the boonies and so co-op, TKD and everything is an hour away. Granny's house is just so dang convenient!

Lakota

Mine watch two PBS Kids shows in the AM (usually Cat in the Hat and Super Why) and PBS's Wild Kratts in the afternoon during the week. Sometimes instead of Wild Kratts they'll watch an episode of Bill Nye. On Thursday nights, they watch the entire This Old House line up (i.e. This Old House, Ask This Old House, and whatever filler show they have between the two) with dh. Usually, they watch one movie on the weekend.

If I'm sick, all rules go out the window and they pretty much watch whatever PBS shows or kids movies they want. ;)

No t.v. We do not have cable and the only station we can see is PBS, but we don't watch it unless there is a presidential election! We do have a family movie night a couple of times a month. At times we will watch things that have educational value, like Ken Burns' Civil War series or Liberty's Kids, but there hasn't been much of that this year. No Netflix here. I will buy DVDs that I think we'll watch a lot; otherwise we get them at the library. For the most part we all choose to read instead of watch.

This is my family exactly. Sophia got Liberty Kid's for Christmas and we haven't even managed to get it open yet. Our evenings are so busy with other things that we don't get much time to watch TV even if there had been something to watch. We do a lot of games, puzzles, and reading in the evenings.

Right now, my 15 & 9 year olds watch very little (their choice - they prefer the internet/youtube) but my 3 y/o watches HOURS AND HOURS right now. I'm not proud of it, and dream of just chucking the TV in the dumpster. Most of the time he's actually doing something else (spreading toys across the living room and making a fort out of cushions) but it's on most of the day.

I'm tired, it's muddy outside, I'm desperate for him to stay occupied & quiet so I can work with my 9 yr old and/or hear myself think ... I have lots of excuses. I know he needs to play more independently, but the "learning curve" of that (lots of boredom and whining!) are more than I can take right now.

We don't have broadcast TV or cable, but we are big movie people here. We probably watch the equivalent of at least one feature length film per day on average. Our only rules are 1) no TV until your work is done (exceptions for sickness and school films) and 2) read the book before watching the movie (esp with classics, but we make exceptions to this too).

Usually unlimited. Unless it poses a problem I allow it. We have computers as well as game systems and tv's in bedrooms as well as the living room. I def. shut the comps and tv's off when it's becomming an issue or behaviors are going south...and if chores and bedrooms aren't kept up to mama's standards.

I however enjoy going "unplugged" myself and with the kids (dh refuses to do it with us) for 7 days a year...it's a little amount of time but it's FUN!

About 90 minutes a day for the hsers maybe (we watch documentaries etc) ...less for the schooler. Not so much to nothing on weekends? I know it's not a big deal. It's not something I think about. We don't have cable or good TVs, or a TV on the main level of our home. Of course, 2 of my children are watching American Idol tonight. lol :D

I watch my dn, and when he is here, he does not watch any TV at all.

Edited by LibraryLover

It varies. We don't have regular tv so the kids are asking to watch a dvd.

1. They'll watch a DVD if I've assigned it for school (science, Times Tales, Drive Thru History, etc). I rarely do this more than once a week.

2. We tend to watch a movie on Friday nights as a family.

3. If the weather is terrible (too hot, bad air quality) then I may allow them to watch a bit in the afternoon since they can't go outside.

They don't use the computer and have no video games. I'd say they have less than 3 hours a week of screen time UNLESS someone is sick (then all bets are off).

This is pretty much our family too! The Friday night movie is rare since we don't have a Blockbuster nearby, and my Netflix pic is always some history doc. for school. My computer time; however, a serious issue :001_huh:

No tv--we don't have an actual television (not that that matters anymore) and not a lot of other screen time--a movie or science or history type dvd ever couple of weeks or so. The last two summers have been entirely screen-free. The two older boys get 30 minutes of computer game time a week during the school year.

Broadcast TV? None. It's just not something we've ever done. (Though I don't freak out if they watch a sports game with my dad or something.) If we got the History or Discovery Channel, I would be okay with them watching the occasional show.

"Kid TV videos?" Very little. They've never seen Barney, Dora, Spongebob, etc. Again, just not my thing.

Occasional movies, including "kid" ones? Some. They like Cars, How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, but they have seen very few Disney princess movies. However, they tend to like older musicals, like Mary Poppins and Sound of Music, and they are crazy huge fans of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Narnia series. On an ordinary day, they get about 20 minutes of screen time (movies or computer games) each, more for DD if she completes a chapter book (she tends to start them and not finish them). I allow a full movie occasionally at my discretion, but it's a treat, not a standard or daily thing.

I wish I could throw my tv out the window!!!!

My hubby turns it on for the little ones in the morning when we are eating our breakfast and they are already finished. They watch for about 30-40 min. We don't let the older ones because they have chores to finish and math before they can have 30 min on some electronic device.

We keep the tv off most of the day because I simply don't like it. Now they are pretty much trained, but when daddy is keeping them or grandma, it's all tv all the time! LOL!!!

I'm having a hard time monitoring the new ipod touches that the older two got for Christmas. They keep them on themselves (in their pockets) just about all the time. I know they are on those things too much but I haven't buckled down on them yet.

I started a thread a few days about my extreme concern over the TV situation with my son.

I'll save you the long story, but I would say that since my in-laws moved in with us, my 5 year old's TV time went from 20 minutes a week to I'm not even sure. It's on in the living room pretty much all day long. My father in law just sits and watches it all day. Luckily, I'm able to keep my son away from the den for somewhat much of the day. We will occasionally watch the National Geographic specials on Netflix in my bedroom (he's obsessed with volcanoes and sea creatures). And he does not have a TV in his room, obviously.

I would say in one day, he's probably watching 3-4 hours, but he's never idling sitting there - he's always playing with LEGOS or coloring or playing with TinkerToys or something.

But, as everyone so lovingly pointed out....once we no longer live with them (come on December!) we will go back to my son never watching TV again. There will be an adjustment period, but he'll come back around =)