Menu

If you have a small pox vaccination scar on your arm, say "aye"

It was in the seventies. We were most likely moving to Australia and had to have the vacc. Mine just wouldn't scar. The fourth try was the last attempt, and they were going to label me as naturally immune. It took. Those shots sure hurt!!!

Nay. I was born in 1967. They were still vaccinating when my mom took me to get mine, and the Dr. told her not to scar her pretty little girl's arm, because there was no more small pox. I believe the WHO declared it eradicated in 1972 or thereabouts, which is when they would have stopped vaccinating.

I was born in 60 got the shot in CA remember the huge scab but it did not scar at all. Docs did a repeat shot on me and it still did not scar.... Seems like a small percentage of folks who got the illness did not scar so maybe I fall in that group :001_huh:

My brother got the shot the next year and would pick the scab during church so that he could get out of service and during school so he could get out of school, ect..... He would bleed something awful and it would throw my mom into a fit. He has a huge scar.

My folks had 8 kids and 4 of the 8 got the shot. Number 5 was born in 69 and we moved back to IL in 70 and he did not get the shot. I was the only kid who did not scar. So I guess I am a nay even tho I got the shot twice.

I was born in 1964 and I have the scar. My sibs were born from 1949 to 1966, so we all had the shot.

My Dad was shot in St. Lo, France during WWII, about a month after D Day. As a result, he was missing a big hunk of flesh on his left upper arm. It was a circle about 2" across and 1/4" deep. For years as a child, I thought that was his vaccination scar. :lol: I was probably a teenager before my mom set me straight.

Actually, I was wrong. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

In 1967, when WHO launched an intensified plan to eradicate smallpox, the "ancient scourge" threatened 60% of the world's population, killed every fourth victim, scarred or blinded most survivors, and eluded any form of treatment.

Through the success of the global eradication campaign, smallpox was finally pushed back to the horn of Africa and then to a single last natural case, which occurred in Somalia in 1977. A fatal laboratory-acquired case occurred in the United Kingdom in 1978. The global eradication of smallpox was certified, based on intense verification activities in countries, by a commission of eminent scientists in December 1979 and subsequently endorsed by the World Health Assembly in 1980.

From WHO.