Menu

In general, how often do you end up seeing a doctor?

How often (on average) do you usually see a doctor?  

1. 1. How often (on average) do you usually see a doctor?

• Once a week
    • Several times a month
    • Once a month
    • Every 3-4 months
    • Every 6 months
    • Once a year
    • Once every couple of years
    • I never go to the doctor for anything
    • Other--I'm sure I forgot something!

I'm very reticent about seeing the doctor, and I think sometimes I hesitate about going when I should because I feel as though it's always an over-reaction. I probably end up seeing a doctor about once or twice a year--once every year or two for a regular yearly check-up, and maybe once a year for a sinus/chest thing.

Generally speaking, how often do you see a doctor, regardless of why?

ETA: I should have worded my poll differently. By "every 6 months", I really meant 2x per year, regardless of the time interval, kwim?

ETA: Sheesh! I also should have remembered to mention that I'm not including frequent checks during pregnancy.

Edited by Julie in CA

I'm trying to decide if I'm mis-using the medical system if I go in this week because I'm having headaches/dizziness/sinus symptoms/possible asthma episodes. I'm not dramatically ill, and if you looked at me, you'd think I look fine. Seems a little silly to go in when I'm not really, really sick, only in minor discomfort, but it's been ongoing since...January?

Got me to wondering if I use doctors more than the average person.

I voted once a month, though if you count labs and tests it's more frequently. This has only been since July of last year, though. I have labs every 2 weeks for the next 8 weeks, a doctor appointment in May, more labs in June, and an appointment with a different doctor in June. I'm hopeful that after June my frequency will slow down.

Before this whole liver deal came up, it was 1-3 times a year, either for a physical, and occasional sinus infection, or because of Judo injuries.

I just recently went to see my dr. She nearly fell over when I told her I hadn't been to see a dr for over 11 years. :tongue_smilie:

I voted every few years.

You sound like me! I went to the doctor a few years ago because I knew I had strep throat. The doc kept asking me if I went somewhere else for medical treatment because the last time I'd been seen in his office was 1998. (I see the OB/GYN for annual exams and pg-related stuff.)

When we had health ins., I went every 2 yrs or so for a check-up and only once in a blue moon if I was really, really sick. Now that we don't have health ins., I just went to the doctor for the first time in 5 yrs because I had a horrible sinus infection that wasn't responding to home treatment.

ETA: The change which resulted in our losing our health ins. also resulted in a lower income. If our income were a little higher, I'd be able to pay for the once-every-two-years check ups and would probably do so. I don't want to balme our lack of ins. entirely for the infrequency of my doctor visits. (I really dislike going to the doctor's office.)

Edited by Tutor

I go about twice per year because of my hypothyroidism, and one of those visits is a yearly physical along with a pap. I only see a doctor because I'm sick once every few years. This is not because I never get sick, but because when I do get sick it's generally a cold or ear infection and doesn't require a doctor's care.

Right now I'm seeing a midwife/OB group and it seems like I have appointments every 2 weeks for one reason or another. It seems very weird to be in a doc's office so often!

In the years since my son's birth I never went to the doctor (about 7 years). then last year I had a terrible pain when they brought down the lap bar of a rollercoaster. Turns out I had a seven inch ovarian tumor. After surgery and treatment I now go every 3 months. I had other symptoms that I had been ignoring. Never again.

I'm trying to decide if I'm mis-using the medical system if I go in this week because I'm having headaches/dizziness/sinus symptoms/possible asthma episodes. I'm not dramatically ill, and if you looked at me, you'd think I look fine. Seems a little silly to go in when I'm not really, really sick, only in minor discomfort, but it's been ongoing since...January?

I voted in the once-per-year category, but if I'm sick, I go in. I would definitely be seen with your symptoms.

It has been years since I've been to the doctor for anything other than my annual check-up. At my age, I've decided I'm going in every other year from now on. I'm really healthy and active, and thankfully, have no health problems.

If I had your symptoms, though, I would definitely go in and get checked out.

I see a doctor about once a month because I have had ongoing issues. My dh sees his cardiologist once every two years and that is it. The kids rarely go--only if it is something serious. When they get sick (flu, cold), people always ask if I took them to the doctor. I figure the doctor is just going to say "get plenty of rest and lots of fluids" so that is what we do. I can't imagine taking them to the doctor every time they had a cold or flu. If I noticed other things, like dehydration, asthma, or something like that, then I would take them in. My oldest dd, when she was between 1-3 yrs old, would get asthma attacks every time she had a cold. The first couple of times we went to the doctor. Once we had a nebulizer at home and had medicine on hand, I would treat her at home. I usually would just call in if I ran out of medicine and the doctor would call in a refill.

At minimum I aim for once a year at the family doctor for basic check-up (I like to get my cholesterol checked and some other basic blood work) plus once a year at for my annual appointment at the gynecologist. I also try for an annual appointment with the dermatologist for a head to toe check (lots of moles!) and an annual eye exam.

I'm a big proponent of preventative care, lol.

I see my regular dr every couple of years. I see my urologist (I have kidney stones) once a year or more if having trouble. I see a neurologist once a year (migraines).

I almost *never* go to the dr for being sick. But, I am rarely ever sick. I don't even get colds that often. I do get migraines and kidney stones though. I would rather a cold.

I don't have insurance, and haven't seen an actual MD in about 5 years, including two pregnancies (I did see a midwife for prenatal care, and now that I think about it, an OB performed the ultrasound during my last pregnancy).

Oh, I did see a PA for a medical clearance prior to entering nursing school, so about 2.5 years ago. But that was extremely perfunctory.

I'm pretty healthy, though. There's only one time in there when I can say I really should have seen a doctor for anything other than preventative care.

Were circumstances different, I imagine I'd have a physical at recommended intervals, but I doubt I'd go significantly more frequently on top of that.

Edited by ocelotmom

It's been 2 years since I've seen a doctor... I had a newborn and got the flu, wound up really dehydrated. I was almost admitted to the hospital...

I am planning on going to my GP in about 3 weeks, because I've been working really hard on modifying my diet, exercise, and have lost over 20 pounds (I still have about 15 to go, and may be close to that number at appointment time). This will be to see how things have changed (blood/health wise).

In general, I only go to the doctor myself when I have bronchitis or pneumonia (had it enough, so I can tell), or something that is "wrong" that doesn't make sense (that was shingles when pregnant with #5). I don't go for colds or flu (well, haven't gone for flu YET), and haven't really had regular check ups.

My kids go for their annual check ups, and if they have pneumonia, an unexplained rash (especially combined with fever), or have been sick longer than a week. Usually if *I* feel they need to go to the doctor, we'll be coming home with a script.

I am in the next to never camp but I would go with your symptoms. Sinus infections/problems are usually what end up driving me to the doctor. I need to go now as I have a few things that need to be checked but I still haven't called to make that appointment. The office will have to dig my file out of storage probably. It has also been about 2-3 years since I have seen my GYN so I need to get that accomplished also.

I go every 3-6 months, which is not, for me, as often as I should go. I get blood labs for my meds once every 2-4 weeks, and should see the doctor at least every 3 months for my blood disorder at this point. However... it just doesn't always happen. If I go longer than 6 months, they call & ask me to come in.

When we had health ins., I went every 2 yrs or so for a check-up and only once in a blue moon if I was really, really sick. Now that we don't have health ins., I just went to the doctor for the first time in 5 yrs because I had a horrible sinus infection that wasn't responding to home treatment.

ETA: The change which resulted in our losing our health ins. also resulted in a lower income. If our income were a little higher, I'd be able to pay for the once-every-two-years check ups and would probably do so. I don't want to balme our lack of ins. entirely for the infrequency of my doctor visits. (I really dislike going to the doctor's office.)

I would say this totally describes me/us.

I average 3 or 4 times a year ... I see a dermatologist for a skin cancer check once a year (it runs in my family), and I have arthritis and asthma and I have to see a doctor every so often for those issues. And usually I catch a bug that requires getting an antibiotic prescription once a year or so.

If you count the number of times I have to take my kids to a doctor, though, it's more like a couple of times a month!

We have great health insurance, though, so that probably means we go much more often than we otherwise would. :)

Other--FIL is a doctor and he lives right down the street so we mostly only goto the dr for well child checks, specialty things (allergist, ENT when DS needed ear tubes, and OB for pregnancies), or when Dr. Grandpa is out of town and someone needs meds and can't wait.

If we didn't have FIL, my answer would be every other day during the winter:tongue_smilie: and rarely during the rest of the year.

I get my yearly exams from the midwife (pap.)

I go to the doc when I'm sick with strep throat, which I get every 1-3 years. The last time I called them and tried to schedule a sick apt, the receptionist told me that she knew I had switched to another doctor because it had been so long since I'd been there last. I had to argue with my raspy voice that honest-I haven't been to another doctor!

She gave me an apt, but still seemed convinced that I was just being sneaky.

Well, I've been 5 times in the last two weeks! 1 ER visit, 3 urgent care, and one surgery visit. I go back tomorrow to get 11 stitches removed.

Normally, I'm very hesitant to go and will only go if it is for something really minor. If something scares me, it takes a miracle to get me in to the doctor. I don't like bad news.

Asthma is something you shouldn't second guess on going in to doctor... just go.

More people with mild asthma die from asthma, that patients with severe asthma! Those who have untreated/under treated asthma are much more likely to have severe/fatal complications simply because they don't respect how fast asthma can go from mild to fatal....It only takes one attack, and it only takes a few minutes for the lack of oxygen to kill you.

GO NOW.

Stats:Each day 11 Americans die from asthma. There are more than 4,000 deaths due to asthma each year, many of which are avoidable with proper treatment and care. In addition, asthma is indicated as “contributing factor” for nearly 7,000 other deaths each year. [14]

Since 1980 asthma death rates overall have increased more than 50% among all genders, age groups and ethnic groups. The death rate for children under 19 years old has increased by nearly 80% percent since 1980. [15]

More females die of asthma than males, and women account for nearly 65% of asthma deaths overall. [16]

African Americans are three times more likely to die from asthma. African American Women have the highest asthma mortality rate of all groups, more than 2.5 times higher than Caucasian women. [17]

Edited by Tap, tap, tap